PDA

View Full Version : Oh good cripes

Mark
06-23-2005, 08:11 AM
I tried to let it roll off my back, but it didn't work. I really tried. I kept saying to myself "we don't care" but it didn't help. I can usually overcome the same old garbage, but this time, I couldn't.

Got home late last night from work and thumbed through the new SI for a few minutes. I came upon the lead editorial in the Scorecard section and felt my blood pressure rise a bit.

Seems as though another dose of unmitigated prickery from the media has found its way into the latest issue. Basically it was a waste of 3/4 of a page of "all hail" Cubs and "all who cares" White Sox.

A female anthropologist at the University of Chicago and devout Flub follower has done a study over the past four years of the Bleacher Bums, you know, that "bona fide community that demonstrates the essential traits of a neighborhood, a church congregation or even a family." Of course, Holly Swyers lived among the Bums for four seasons.

SI writer L. Jon Wertheim (he usually does tennis articles but decided to break some new ground here) buys into all this nonsense and of course the Scorecard page is co-edited by Mark "the White Sox are the least desireable team to root for in sports" Bechtel. How cute.

Wertheim include some real nuggets in support of Swyers and her "study":

* "But what about the family 10 miles to the south, in the ivy-less confines of U.S. Cellular Field? How do Wrigley Regulars (the substitute term for Bleacher Bums) compare with fans of the White Sox? The answer is, Nobody knows. And nobody, candidly, cares. It is safe to assume there are no scholarly White Sox works in the offing."

* "What Swyer's study does effectively--if inadvertantly--is underscore the notion that there are teams we embrace (Flubs) and teams we shrug off (Sox), and no amount of marketing, no upsurge in victories, changes that. In Chicago the Cubs will always be fawned over, the Sox more or less ignored."

* "The contrasting fates of the teams are now in particularly sharp relief. Through Sunday the Sox were 46-22, the best record in nbaseball, while the Cubds were a typically middling (WOW, A CORRECT FACT) 34-33. Yet the Sox were drawing 24,000 a game, 14,000 fewer than the Cubs. When the teams play at the Cell this weekend, the home fans could be outnumbered by the visitors'." (YEAH RIGHT)

* "The South Siders have plenty working against them. The team plays in a dodgy neighborhood in a park devoid of charm (GEE, SOUNDS LIKE THE NORTH SIDE TALKING POINTS, DOESN'T IT?). But most important, the Sox share a market with the Teflon franchise."

* "And when the Cubs lose, it isn't merely overlooked. It adds to the charm."
(THERE'S THAT FIGHTING FLUB SPIRIT)

* Swyers writes of Cub fans "Highs and lows cement the bonds. We just have more lows."

* Finally from Wertheim "Placed, as they are, before this fun-house mirror, some White Sox players have sarcastically suggested the team needs to lose more to draw better. Maybe they're on to something. The Sox are too good now. But as they're fond of saying at the Friendly Confines, wait till next year."

And the accompanying cartoon of Swyers (with her magnifying glass and pith helmet) intently studying two excited and enthusiastic Flub fans while a meek White Sox fan lingers in the background was just the icing on the cake.

Somebody far more eloquent and less agitated needs to fire off a missive to SI from OUR point of view. The e-mail address is "letters@SI.timeinc.com" I've written a few letters in the past and have never gotten a response other than that they were in receipt of the letter. Even when I pointed out an obvious mistake in one of the issues, it never mattered and was ignored. This probably won't either, but it's worth a shot.

I'm off to take a shower...Give Me George Bova or Give Me Death!!

Malgar 12
06-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Which issue of SI is this in?

SOXSINCE'70
06-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Which issue of SI is this in?

The newest one with Tim Duncan and Ben Wallace
on the cover.Should be dated 6/27.

scottjanssens
06-23-2005, 10:52 AM
If this is true the World Series celebrations will be rather small...

I tend to think that won't be the case though. If the Sox have a double digit lead in late August, the city of Chicago will be wearing black. (crap, we'll look like New York.)

SOXSINCE'70
06-23-2005, 11:03 AM
What this woman fails to mention is that tailgaters at Sox Park
are a unique family as well.My friend and I are more than willing to
help out a fellow tailgater who needs water,napkins,plates,or sometimes
even food or soda.If a tailgater has trouble with their grill,my friend and I
either let them use ours or we'll loan them charcoal to relight their grill.

Further proof: Last year,my friend, a weekend season ticket holder,
and I sat in the left field seats.A young couple made a habit of bringing
their 1 year old son with them to games.The wife was pregnant with him
through the first half of the '03 season. My friend and I would take
turns trying to make him laugh and keep him occupied between
innings.We even bought him a Sox uni for his 1st birthday last year.
His mom and dad were surprised we would do that,so they gave each
of us a 3 1/2 X 5 photo of him in his Sox outfit.I framed mine.
We sit in different sections this year,but my long winded point was
that White Sox fans look out for their own as well.

Malgar 12
06-23-2005, 11:05 AM
The newest one with Tim Duncan and Ben Wallace
on the cover.Should be dated 6/27.

Thanks, I may at some point be doing some scholarly work on the white sox and this foolishness will help make my case.

scottjanssens
06-23-2005, 11:31 AM
What this woman fails to mention is that tailgaters at Sox Park are a unique family as well.

No kidding. I've lent tongs and lighters as well as given away (and received) excess food.

The Racehorse
06-23-2005, 11:33 AM
A female anthropologist at the University of Chicago and devout Flub follower has done a study over the past four years of the Bleacher Bums, you know, that "bona fide community that demonstrates the essential traits of a neighborhood, a church congregation or even a family." Of course, Holly Swyers lived among the Bums for four seasons.

SI writer L. Jon Wertheim (he usually does tennis articles but decided to break some new ground here) buys into all this nonsense and of course the Scorecard page is co-edited by Mark "the White Sox are the least desireable team to root for in sports" Bechtel. How cute.

It's a good thing for Holly that Darwin is dead, because he'd blast her for implying that the Bleacher Bums contribute to human evolution... those drunks are the epitome of human devolution and qualify their status each time they hurl garbage onto the field.

Sounds to me Holly was lucky to graduate because she obviously finished last in her class.

As for SI, the last time that rag was relevant was 10 March, 1980 [the Miracle on Ice issue].

FRANK FORT
06-23-2005, 11:36 AM
Earlier in the year there were some negative articles on the Sox in S.I. Then they received a few semi-positive blurbs. This article however, was the last straw for me. Upon finishing reading this excrement, I promptly dialed them up and cancelled my subscription. Enough is enough!

Max Power
06-23-2005, 01:11 PM
I knew there would be a thread about that article. Of all the Cubs rule/Sox are irrelevant articles that I've seen this season this was easily the worst. The story is suppose to be about how Cub fans are there own community (bleh). Why did they need to bring the Sox into it? I've always enjoyed my SI subscription, but this was really uncalled for.

Tekijawa
06-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks, I may at some point be doing some scholarly work on the white sox and this foolishness will help make my case.

Didn't you read the Article points... there are no scholars on the South side!

scottjanssens
06-23-2005, 01:20 PM

Does she know where the University of Chicago is?

cheeses_h_rice
06-23-2005, 01:23 PM
:moron

*sniff*

I'm so proud when one of my ex-interns pens something so amazingly great.

Tekijawa
06-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Does she know where the University of Chicago is?

13 miles South of Wrigley! :D:

mccoydp
06-23-2005, 01:39 PM
The whole story doesn't surprise me any...I used to be shocked by these stories, but not any longer.
Thanks for the insight, though.

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2005, 01:51 PM
* "The South Siders have plenty working against them. The team plays in a dodgy neighborhood in a park devoid of charm (GEE, SOUNDS LIKE THE NORTH SIDE TALKING POINTS, DOESN'T IT?). But most important, the Sox share a market with the Teflon franchise."

DODGY neighborhood??? What is that supposed to mean? The writer claims to be "schollarly," yet doesn't even know how to RESEARCH. Anyone with half a brain KNOWS that comparing the crime rates in Bridgeport and Lakeview (Wrigley's TRUE neighborhood; NOT "Wrigleyville) is like comparing the IQs of a prodigy to one with profound mental retardation. Lakeview's crime rates are FAR higher.

I moved out of my parents house just before last Christmas, and I can't count the number of times my mom's told me she's glad I didn't move to the northside...That she feels very safe with me having moved by myself to Bridgeport...And she's not even a Sox fan or a baseball fan, though she'll root for the Sox just for me...Even my mom knows the falseness of the quoted statement!

maurice
06-23-2005, 02:13 PM
To the editors:

SI tennis expert L. Jon Wertheim recently extended himself far beyond his area of expertise and wrote that the first-place Chicago White Sox play "in a dodgy neighborhood" in contrast to the location of the so-called "Friendly Confines." Near as I can tell, Wertheim must think that "dodgy" means "proximate to the homes of black people," because the neighborhood surrounding U.S. Cellular Field certainly is not dangerous by any stretch of the imagination. Chicago Police Department crime statistics routinely show that the area around U.S. Cellular experiences far less crime than the area around Wrigley Field. In fact, a man was shot dead right in front of Wrigley Field after a Cubs game only last year. Moreover, the Bridgeport neighborhood ajacent to the park is fast becoming one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the city and contains several million dollar homes. The Bronzeville neighborhood to the east of the park is experiencing a similar resurgence. In the future, if you intend to assign tennis reporters to baseball stories, please ensure that they base their claims on actual facts and not racist stereotypes.

Chisox003
06-23-2005, 02:17 PM
To the editors:

SI tennis expert L. Jon Wertheim recently extended himself far beyond his area of expertise and wrote that the first-place Chicago White Sox play "in a dodgy neighborhood" in contrast to the location of the so-called "Friendly Confines." Near as I can tell, Wertheim must think that "dodgy" means "proximate to the homes of black people," because the neighborhood surrounding U.S. Cellular Field certainly is not dangerous by any stretch of the imagination. Chicago Police Department crime statistics routinely show that the area around U.S. Cellular experiences far less crime than the area around Wrigley Field. In fact, a man was shot dead right in front of Wrigley Field after a Cubs game only last year. Moreover, the Bridgeport neighborhood ajacent to the park is fast becoming one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the city and contains several million dollar homes. The Bronzeville neighborhood to the east of the park is experiencing a similar resurgence. In the future, if you intend to assign tennis reporters to baseball stories, please ensure that they base their claims on actual facts and not racist stereotypes.

Wow, nice....:gulp:

Now only if they'd listen

FARMEO
06-23-2005, 02:20 PM
I believe Sox fans are the unique fraternity. I was invited to a party after the Southside Irish parade because I was wearing a Sox hat. I am sure that everyone here has similar stories.

Malgar 12
06-23-2005, 02:51 PM

Well technically, Im not on the south side, but rather in Happy Valley. I am on the south side in spirit however! :D:

Hendu
06-23-2005, 02:56 PM

Wow, so that's what anthropology is about? Shoot, I majored in the wrong field. I could be doing a 4-year study on how the coffee shops in Amsterdam are a "bona fide community that demonstrates the essential traits of a neighborhood, a church congregation or even a family." Or a 4-year study of how my local bar is a "bona fide community that demonstrates the essential traits of a neighborhood, a church congregation or even a family." etc. Just think...every night I come home stumbling drunk I can tell my wife "just another day of scholarly research"

This is not scholarly research; it's a flubs fan with a degree and some connections jumping up and down and saying "look at me!"