PDA

View Full Version : White Flag?

FGarcia34
06-23-2005, 07:18 AM
I know the season is still young, but with the Twins 10 games back, do you guys think there is any chance that they will raise the white flag by the all-star break if they haven't made up any ground. They have a lot of promise in players like Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer, and a couple of their infielders. Santana is solid and their bullpen in young and good. Their offense is weak and rotation is besides Santana and Silva. I think this could be a small possibility however highly unlikely. I was wondering what your guys' take on this was.

WhteSox725
06-23-2005, 07:42 AM
Why would they "White Flag" it when they are in the middle of the Wild Card chase?

downstairs
06-23-2005, 07:48 AM
Sure, I could easily see a .551 team who is 2 games back from their 4th playoff appearance in a row just decimate their team.

In honor of my favorite radio duo, who I will be seeing live:

"Who you crappin'?"

hose
06-23-2005, 07:49 AM
Not a chance , the Twins wont concede.

misty60481
06-23-2005, 07:54 AM
are they still in the league????

PAPChiSox729
06-23-2005, 08:20 AM

:tealpolice:

You have got to be kidding. Don't count out the Twins yet. Even though their chances to win the division are slim, they are still in great position for the WC. You never know... we may have to face them in the playoffs.

infohawk
06-23-2005, 09:27 AM
I can see the Twins trading some minor league prospects to acquire players to bolster the left side of their infield. In my opinion, this is where the Twins have taken their biggest hit.

The Twins really have no reason to sell off players from the major league club. Most of their players who might bring something in return are already young and cheap. I can see them trying to move Jones because he is becoming somewhat expensive (and they have been interested in moving him in the past). Other than Jones, I can't think of anyone of consequence they would want to move who would bring back quality prospects. They like Stewart, Hunter and Ford (who is cheap). Mauer and Morneau are young and cheap, as is Cuddyer. They would be crazy to trade Santana. They might consider trading Radke in the right deal, but I doubt it. Their bullpen is young, cheap and good. They would probably listen to offers for Loshe, but I don't think he would bring back a lot. A Loshe trade would probably be considered because of disappointment with his performance more than anything.

BaseballTonyght
06-23-2005, 09:51 AM

:kukoo:

Fredsox
06-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Just because they're 10 games back does not mean they're out of it as others have pointed out. Additionally, the reason for these trades by "out of it" teams is to dump salary. The Twins have one of the lowest payrolls in the league, they don't need to dump.

I agree that they will go out aggressively to improve their team for THIS year. I cannot conceive of them waiving any white flags until September 30th or when they are mathematically eliminated.

maurice
06-23-2005, 01:17 PM
If they can't improve on the 10 game deficit or fall behind CLE and/or DET, I figure they'll dump maybe Jones, Stewart, and a bullpen arm. As noted, it's not like they have a roster full of high-paid vets.

soxfanreggie
06-23-2005, 02:47 PM
The only team in the Central that should start dumping is the Royals. Detroit could follow suit by the all-star break if they are 15+ games back. The Royals are currently 24 back, and I don't see that number improving. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few weeks that a few of their big money players are gone for prospects.

Ol' No. 2
06-23-2005, 02:54 PM
The only team in the Central that should start dumping is the Royals. Detroit could follow suit by the all-star break if they are 15+ games back. The Royals are currently 24 back, and I don't see that number improving. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few weeks that a few of their big money players are gone for prospects.What big money players does KC have that anyone would want? Sweeney is on the DL again. Lima sucks. Stairs would be a bench player anywhere else. Terrance Long is the only real possibility, and I don't think he's making all that much.

Chicago83
06-23-2005, 03:25 PM
They are by no means out of the playoff race, but the Twins are in a bad situation moneywise for next year. I am not sure of the exact details, but I know they are going to lose a bunch of guys next year and do not have much money to spend. So it's possible that if they keep slipping they might trade some of their guys, it's the twins after all that is what they do. Trade away their stars and get more start prospects.

NSSoxFan
06-23-2005, 03:52 PM
The only trades the Twins will make, IMO, is getting rid of some of their current SP like Lohse. They have some good arms in AAA that they want up in the big leagues.

Jjav829
06-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Why would they White Flag it now? I know they're 9.5 back in the Central, but they're only 1.5 back of the Wild Card. And let's face it, they lost 4 games in 4 days. They can make that up quickly if we slip up. They still have plenty of games left against the Sox. They're not gonna give up. If anything, they'll be looking for some middle infield help or another starting pitcher.

StockdaleForVeep
06-23-2005, 06:23 PM
Also who would they trade in a white flag trade, they dont have aging superstars that people want, their team is still fairly young

Southsider101
06-23-2005, 11:03 PM
Don't count the Twins out yet. Terry Ryan is one of the smartest GMs in MLB. Also, the Twin's farm system is loaded and, unlike many other contenders, they can afford to trade away young talent. Remember, they traded Bobby Kielty for Shannon Stewart two years ago when they were in a similar position and went on to win the division. That year, Stewart was the difference in making the playoffs. The rumors in the Twin Cities have Joe Randa coming from the Reds to replace an inexperienced Cuddyer at third base.

Ol' No. 2
06-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Don't count the Twins out yet. Terry Ryan is one of the smartest GMs in MLB. Also, the Twin's farm system is loaded and, unlike many other contenders, they can afford to trade away young talent. Remember, they traded Bobby Kielty for Shannon Stewart two years ago when they were in a similar position and went on to win the division. That year, Stewart was the difference in making the playoffs. The rumors in the Twin Cities have Joe Randa coming from the Reds to replace an inexperienced Cuddyer at third base.If the Twins season depends on Joe Randa, you can start printing playoff tickets now.

Banix12
06-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I don't know how they would raise a "white flag" when they really don't have anybody of consequnce to trade. Jones is the only name guy I think who is going to be a free agent.

They are still in the middle of the wild card race and even though they are 10 games behind the sox they still have what, 14 games left to play against the White Sox? They can make up 10 games, it will be tough for them to do but still possible. They are still in it and have absolutely no reason to pack it in.

Optipessimism
06-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Like someone posted before, they don't have much to trade that would bring them much at all. A previous poster said Jones, but a team looking for another corner outfielder with some power could just as easily go for a guy like Lawton in Pittsburgh. As a GM, I'd rather deal with the ass-backwards Bobby Hill for Ramirez and Lofton mentality that the Pirates seem to have rather than the Twins who would actually do their homework.