PDA

View Full Version : Timo's Speed

TimoPerez
06-22-2005, 11:19 PM
I have read many posts that say that Timo is slow and not as fast as he used to be. Timo has admitted that he has been playing with an injured right quadriceps since the beginning of the 2004 season yet he is still getting from home to first on a bunt in approximately 3.5-3.6 seconds. This is well above average even though he has been hurt.

Timo=Fast

Timo > You:D:

Viva Medias B's
06-22-2005, 11:23 PM
The one thing that makes people think Timo is slow is...

:hawk
"C'MON TIMO!!! C'MON TIMO!!!..."

Bisco Stu
06-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Timo's bat wins the Sox a game in the ALDS.

You read it here first...and probably last.

TimoPerez
06-22-2005, 11:44 PM
The one thing that makes people think Timo is slow is...

:hawk
"C'MON TIMO!!! C'MON TIMO!!!..."

He scored from first on a ball that was cut off before the wall on that play. I don't know why people would think he is slow.

TimoPerez
06-22-2005, 11:45 PM

His bat and speed won the Mets plenty of games in the NLDS and NLCS in 2000. His 8 runs scored in the NLCS was tied for the record until Carlos Beltran broke it last season.

balke
06-23-2005, 12:38 AM
Yeah.... he's a regular speed demon.

He's slow in the field compared to the outfielders we have, and he doesn't steal bases.... so he's not exactly fast either. Timo is fast enough for right, most people said he's too slow for center, which he is.

TimoPerez
06-23-2005, 12:53 AM
Yeah.... he's a regular speed demon.

He's slow in the field compared to the outfielders we have, and he doesn't steal bases.... so he's not exactly fast either. Timo is fast enough for right, most people said he's too slow for center, which he is.

He is very fast. Occasionally some say he might take an odd route to a ball, but he is definitely fast. He has never really stolen bases. I don't know why. I think he is fast enough for any outfield position. His arm is definitely good enough for rightfield.

The Dude
06-23-2005, 01:02 AM
Maybe he's fast enough to sprint right out of town!

socko82
06-23-2005, 10:19 AM

Timo will be long gone by the ALDS

ND_Sox_Fan
06-23-2005, 10:26 AM
He is very fast. Occasionally some say he might take an odd route to a ball, but he is definitely fast. He has never really stolen bases. I don't know why. I think he is fast enough for any outfield position. His arm is definitely good enough for rightfield.

You could be the fastest guy in the world, but the worst baserunner or terrible outfielder because you can't read pitchers, don't know the little things on the basepaths, or can't read the ball off the bat.

He is certainly fast enough - the question should be is he quick, smart, and good enough?

maurice
06-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Timo < warm bucket of spit.

It's a shame that Gload reinjured his shoulder, because
Gload >>> Timo.

TimoPerez
06-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Timo will be long gone by the ALDS

I would hate to see that.:(:

TimoPerez
06-23-2005, 12:03 PM
You could be the fastest guy in the world, but the worst baserunner or terrible outfielder because you can't read pitchers, don't know the little things on the basepaths, or can't read the ball off the bat.

He is certainly fast enough - the question should be is he quick, smart, and good enough?

He is not a bad baserunner. He just doesn't steal bases. Sometimes he might not get the best jump on balls in the outfield but he gets to most balls and makes his one handed catch with ease. He makes his share of great catches. And don't forget his amazing arm.

maurice
06-23-2005, 12:07 PM
makes his one handed catch

A one-handed catch is a bad thing. OTOH, he does have an outstanding arm. That's easily his strongest "tool."

na_na_na_na
06-23-2005, 12:14 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2739

Other great timo pics here:

PAPChiSox729
06-23-2005, 12:22 PM
A one-handed catch is a bad thing

I don't know about that. I am beginning to think that it is easier for some people to make a one-handed catch rather than using both hands. Now I am not a major league baseball player, but when I played baseball, it was easier for me to use one hand to catch because the other hand always seemed in the way and really didn't help me hold onto the ball. It just seems like it varies from player to player. Timo isn't the greatest outfielder but I doubt that his catching style has anything to do with that.

TimoPerez
06-23-2005, 01:28 PM
A one-handed catch is a bad thing. OTOH, he does have an outstanding arm. That's easily his strongest "tool."

In spring training for the Mets a couple of years back he tried to make a catch with two hands. It looked like someone was urging him to try it. He ended up catching it with one hand and then putting his other hand around the mit. It was like he just couldn't do it. That was the third out. He just ran off of the field laughing.

TimoPerez
06-23-2005, 01:29 PM

Other great timo pics here:

My personal pictures:
http://www.geocities.com/hartbenoitangle :)

maurice
06-23-2005, 01:32 PM
It was like he just couldn't do it.

Uribe's the same way. Very strange.

TimoPerez
06-23-2005, 01:34 PM
Uribe's the same way. Very strange.

They live a couple of blocks away from each other...Must be something in the air.:smile:

TimoPerez
06-23-2005, 02:31 PM
My personal pictures:
http://www.geocities.com/hartbenoitangle :)

That didn't take very long. My pictures are timed out. Sorry about that.

soxfanreggie
06-23-2005, 02:42 PM
The Sox are going to have to make a decision on who they want for the last part of the season and the playoffs. They may go with a "it's not broken, don't fix it" attitude and make none to one or two changes. Or, they could try to improve by adding bullpen depth or another bat. If there is a player that does not tax our minor league system and would be a key add-on, I would say make the deal as long as the person fits our needs. Essentially, I would like to see that person as a strong arm for the bullpen. It may cost us, but I think Jerry would be willing to increase the payroll knowing what a World Series run would do for us. I was discussing with a friend about how good certain teams would be should they spend Yankee like money on a free agent. Could you imagine what bumping our payroll up toe $100M would do for us. Buehrle and Garland will definitely be getting big raises in a few years, but this year, adding 15-20 mil in players would put us close to $100M and definitely give us a few really good additions to the team.

It's all up to Kenny, Jerry, Ozzie, etc., should be interesting to see what they do. I don't think we'll see the Twins turn into sellers, but I have a feeling we'll see that out of the rest of the central. We and the Twins have put the rest of the teams in a hard, hard position. Detroit could be almost 20 games back at the break, Kansas could be 30...no way they can really come back. The Indians have been winning but are still double digit games back.

DickAllen72
06-23-2005, 03:51 PM
"Timo's speed" is an oxymoron.

I don't care what numbers you dig out from who know's where, but I know what I see. If Timo is fast, then he doesn't hustle. But he sure looks slow.

RedPinStripes
06-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Fast or not, he still sucks!

TimoPerez
06-23-2005, 07:45 PM
"Timo's speed" is an oxymoron.

I don't care what numbers you dig out from who know's where, but I know what I see. If Timo is fast, then he doesn't hustle. But he sure looks slow.

If I pull out numbers about his speed that are well above average then what you think you see is just plain wrong.

TimoPerez
06-23-2005, 07:45 PM
Fast or not, he still sucks!

I'm gonna stay out of this one. I love Timo too much.:smile:

DickAllen72
06-23-2005, 07:50 PM
If I pull out numbers about his speed that are well above average then what you think you see is just plain wrong.
Where did you get your numbers from? Link?

If you are talking about Timo being timed on a bunt, are you talking about when he runs out of the batters box down towards first before he bunts the ball? That's about the only time I ever see him beat anything out.

He either lacks speed or he's just lazy. I prefer to think it's the former, not the latter.

samram
06-23-2005, 08:19 PM
My thoughts on Timo: slow, bad, and dumb.

Chisox003
06-23-2005, 08:24 PM
Yikes, some harsh words in this thread for a guy who's been very clutch for us the past 2 seasons....

Must be an off day :rolleyes:

TimoPerez
06-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Where did you get your numbers from? Link?

If you are talking about Timo being timed on a bunt, are you talking about when he runs out of the batters box down towards first before he bunts the ball? That's about the only time I ever see him beat anything out.

He either lacks speed or he's just lazy. I prefer to think it's the former, not the latter.

I timed videos from this season and last season of various players performing a drag bunt numerous times to verify the results. Jose Reyes, who is quite possibly the fastest player in the game got from home to first in about 3.25-3.3 seconds. Timo came in at about the same as Carl Crawford. Crawford was at 3.5 and Timo was at about 3.53. Some guys don't look fast when they are running, but Timo definitely is.

SoxFan76
06-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Man, so much hate for a backup. What's the deal? Wow, and he was so clutch for the Sox last year, I just don't get it.

TimoPerez
07-09-2005, 12:38 AM
I just wanted to bring this thread back because of something D.J. said tonight when Timo was thrown out at second.

"Timo Perez looks like he can run and looks are deceiving."

Timo got to second quickly. It took a fantastic(dare I say "Timo-like") throw to second by Nick Swisher to get him out. I was a little annoyed by this call of D.J.'s but then I realized that I like Hawk and D.J. so much that I couldn't possibly be mad.:smile:

The Dude
07-09-2005, 12:45 AM
I just wanted to bring this thread back because of something D.J. said tonight when Timo was thrown out at second.

Timo got to second quickly. It took a fantastic(dare I say "Timo-like") throw to second by Nick Swisher to get him out. I was a little annoyed by this call of D.J.'s but then I realized that I like Hawk and D.J. so much that I couldn't possibly be mad.:smile:

Ok first off, bad move bringing back an old thread.
Secondly...DJ is actually right for a change because Timo cant steal a base to save his life.

So unless you actually are Timo or are related to him, why are you so obsessed with a below average bench player that probably wont be with the sox in a week or so???

TaylorStSox
07-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Dude. Timo Perez is just slow. Period. I don't care what you clocked him at.

TimoPerez
07-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Ok first off, bad move bringing back an old thread.
Secondly...DJ is actually right for a change because Timo cant steal a base to save his life.

So unless you actually are Timo or are related to him, why are you so obsessed with a below average bench player that probably wont be with the sox in a week or so???

Why is it a bad move bringing back an old thread? I didn't think a new thread was needed when there was already one on the topic.

Speed does not always lead to stolen bases. Timo doesn't steal bases. He is still fast.

I am not Timo and am not related to him. I have just liked him for a long time. I'm sure you have a favorite player too.

TimoPerez
07-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Dude. Timo Perez is just slow. Period. I don't care what you clocked him at.

If he is clocked at a speed that is fast it means that he is fast. Period.

patbooyah
07-09-2005, 02:37 PM
this is totally timo perez posting about himself.

BeviBall!
07-09-2005, 04:13 PM

Gimme a break. He looked like he had a piano on his back rounding first. He's Carlos Martinez slow.

TimoPerez
07-09-2005, 07:15 PM

Nope, but I think it is safe to say that I am his biggest fan. I hung up his autographed picture in my room yesterday.:smile:

TimoPerez
07-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Gimme a break. He looked like he had a piano on his back rounding first. He's Carlos Martinez slow.

It doesn't matter what he looks like. He may very well be effortlessly fast, but fast is fast.

Rocklive99
07-09-2005, 07:25 PM

:rolling:

I wonder if Zambrano is on his buddy list

TimoPerez
07-09-2005, 07:40 PM
:rolling:

I wonder if Zambrano is on his buddy list

Zambrano was worried about Timo's speed, if you remember.

slobes
07-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Timo isn't a great speedster, but he's fast enough to field his position well. I'll admit he's not much of a center fielder, but I have no problem with him playing in left or right field.

White Sox Josh
07-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Timo isn't a great speedster, but he's fast enough to field his position well. I'll admit he's not much of a center fielder, but I have no problem with him playing in left or right field.he has OK speed however because of his size a lot of people think he is fast.