PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Everett?

Ol' No. 2
06-22-2005, 10:45 PM
Throughout his career he has always been a much better hitter from the left side. His OPS has been as much as 200 pts higher. This year he's way better from the right side. This seems wierd. I can't recall another player switching like this.

MarkZ35
06-22-2005, 10:47 PM
To me it seems like he is always over swinging from the left side but when he's batting righty he seems to just have a line drive swing and looking to make contact.

TaylorStSox
06-22-2005, 10:47 PM
It looks to me like 2 things.

1) He's not over swinging from the Right side. He's a free swinger from the left side and he swings too hard often.

2) He's just seeing the ball better from the right side. He looks real bad offspeed pitches from the left handed batter's box.

TaylorStSox
06-22-2005, 10:48 PM
To me it seems like he is always over swinging from the left side but when he's batting righty he seems to just have a line drive swing and looking to make contact.

You're a smart guy. :cool:

Ol' No. 2
06-22-2005, 10:50 PM
It looks to me like 2 things.

1) He's not over swinging from the Right side. He's a free swinger from the left side and he swings too hard often.

2) He's just seeing the ball better from the right side. He looks real bad offspeed pitches from the left handed batter's box.But why should that change this year? It just seems odd that for his whole career he's been a much better hitter from the left side, and then this year he reverses. Could it be age catching up with him and it's causing him to overswing from what's always been his best side?

AnkleSox
06-22-2005, 11:09 PM
I don't remember who it was, whether hawk, a guest announcer, or an espn guy, but during one of the games somebody brought this up. They mentioned that it might have something to do with Carl's latest injury, causing him to have to change his swing a bit so as not to hurt himself. It's possible that it has affected his swing from the right side, and the adjustment he had to make ended up being for the better. (I know this sounds pretty vague... but I'm not completely in the know about what Carl's injury was, however it seems to make sense.)

T-Bone
06-23-2005, 12:38 AM
I don't remember who it was, whether hawk, a guest announcer, or an espn guy, but during one of the games somebody brought this up. They mentioned that it might have something to do with Carl's latest injury, causing him to have to change his swing a bit so as not to hurt himself. It's possible that it has affected his swing from the right side, and the adjustment he had to make ended up being for the better. (I know this sounds pretty vague... but I'm not completely in the know about what Carl's injury was, however it seems to make sense.)

This is also the theory for Beltre's power increase last year. Hey, a lot of pitchers are better after Tommy John, the same thing can happen to batters.