PDA

View Full Version : Best Record vs. World Series Champion

elrod
06-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Apropos of the PTI thread I did some checking to see how often the team with the best record in baseball during the regular season wins the World Series. It is stunning how rarely it occurs in modern baseball. The only times the team with the best regular season record won the World Series since divisional play began in 1969:

1998 Yankees
1989 Athletics
1986 Mets
1984 Tigers
1978 Yankees
1976 Reds
1975 Reds
1970 Orioles

In 36 years since divisional began in 1969, the best regular season team won the World Series only 8 times. And of those, 7 were before the advent of the two-round playoff structure.

So why is that? There have been some GREAT teams that didn't even make the World Series: 2001 Mariners, 1998 Braves, etc. My biggest concern right now is that we blow out the AL in the regular season and then falter against some hot upstart team like the Angels in the playoffs. One thing that those 8 teams have in common is that they destroyed the competition those years. However, so did the 2001 Mariners and the 1998 Braves (who won 106 games) - and the 1995 Indians. How do you prepare a team for a successful World Series run? Just solid starting pitching? Deep bullpen? The hitters just have to get hot?

batmanZoSo
06-22-2005, 09:07 PM
How do you prepare a team for a successful World Series run? Just solid starting pitching? Deep bullpen? The hitters just have to get hot?

If we knew, we'd have more World Series banners.

Unregistered
06-22-2005, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I saw something like this on the Tribune online blog thing - natually they tried to make it look like the Sox winning was actually a BAD thing for them...

The century mark: I heard on the news last night that the White Sox are on pace to win 110 games this season. But what if they just won 100--would it increase their chances of winning the World Series or even the ALCS? Here are the numbers: Out of 42 teams that won 100 games or more since division play began in 1969 (21 in both leagues), only nine have gone on to win it all and 12 have lost in the World Series. Since 1979, only three teams with 100 wins or more won the Series (11 made it), and the 17 others either lost before the Series or didn't even make the playoffs.

Let's break it down by league. Out of the 21 teams in the American League, 12 made the Series with six winning. Over the past 10 years, the team that won 100 games and made the Fall Classic is 1-6.

It's worse in the National League (thanks to the Braves, who won 100 games six times without winning the Series). Of the 21 teams winning 100 games, only four won the Series and five lost. Of the last 12, only two teams made it and both lost.

In both leagues, since the extra round of the playoffs was added in 1995, the 100-game winner has lost in the wild-card round eight out of 17. Four lost in the League Championship Series, four lost in the World Series and only one won the Series.

daveeym
06-22-2005, 10:46 PM
We all know the mariners sad plight but you may have to do some more research. In a down year if the best team has 97 wins and 3 teams are within a couple games of each other that stat doesn't mean much. Throw in by how many games the best team was better than the next 1 or 2 and you might get a better answer.

kingpin_rcs
06-22-2005, 10:47 PM
This has been brought up several different times before. Is it better to run away with the division and win it with a comfortable lead or is it better to be clawing and scratching right down to the last game?

Having that must win attitude for 162 seems to carry on into the playoffs whereas if you win by 10 games you can relax for the last week and a half but then you have to turn on the intensity when the playoffs come.

The numbers above seem to show that it might be better to have to fight right to the end.

Look at how many wild card teams have gone to the WS the last few years.

This, of course, is not something you can crontrol. Nor would you want to. You don't want to start loosing just so you can have a closer race.

I hope the Twins series in August and September have at least a litte meaning. At least put the Twins in a must sweep situation (like they practically are now.)

It's more likely that the Twins will be fighting for a wild card spot and the Sox will be trying to keep them out of the playoffs all together.

Lastly, I don't think Ozzie will allow anybody or the team as a whole to relax even after the a spot has been clinched (knock knock).

AnkleSox
06-22-2005, 11:13 PM
This is the kind of stat that I think can really just be ignored. Whether they finish the season with the best record or not, going into the postseason, I have to believe their chances will be the same either way.

After all, when the team with the best record didn't win the world series, there were 28 other teams in baseball that didn't have the best record, and none of them won. :D:

Palehose Pete
06-22-2005, 11:19 PM
I like the fact that our games against the Twins will come at the end of the season. The Twins will play against us like it's do or die each day, and that will make us stronger, assuming, of course, that we win at least half of the games.

I want this team to stay hungry and lean. No fat. No relaxing. Stay on target and cut the chatter, Red Leader.

mmmmmbeeer
06-23-2005, 04:26 AM
Lastly, I don't think Ozzie will allow anybody or the team as a whole to relax even after the a spot has been clinched (knock knock).

That's the key, right there. Although I often disagree with him in-game management, I have no reason whatsoever to questions Ozzie's ability to motivate this team regardless of the standings at the end of the season.