PDA

View Full Version : Good, fair SI article

MERPER
06-22-2005, 08:47 PM
LINK (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/06/22/bc.bba.sportsshowcase.ap/)

CubsSuckSoBad
06-22-2005, 08:48 PM
"It's always been that way," said Bill Hyde, 68, a lifelong White Sox fan.

No it hasn't....We outdrew the Cubs for a long time...

How many articles speak on the same subject....

We dont want converted Cub fans coming to our games....to hell with em....

J Co
06-22-2005, 10:25 PM
What's with that picture? Was it taken two hours before the game? It makes it look like Montreal last year

Tragg
06-22-2005, 10:32 PM
That's something new and fresh from the news media - an article about attendance.
As long as the cubs are on national television on a regular basis, they'll be the more popular team and the tourist destination. Thankfully, WGN has cut back their cubs broadcast schedule (we seem to have maintained our once per week allottment that has been the norm for the past few years)

oeo
06-22-2005, 10:41 PM
What's with that picture? Was it taken two hours before the game? It makes it look like Montreal last year

Exactly what I was thinking...thanks for making us look like we have no fans at all during the game.

IA_soxfan
06-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Another stupid, run of the mill, assinie, hole-filled, myth driven, piece of trash article about attendance. Hey, the White Sox are blowing everybody else in the league out of water...I just KNOW our readers are just DYING for an in-depth article about their attendance trends!

**** Sports Illustrated

The Dude
06-23-2005, 01:09 AM
I was at the game tuesday night in the UD and there was a guy with 2 girls next to me. They were mid to late twenties. The guy leaned over to me after some announcement of a promotion for the cubs sox series and asked me if the cubs are going to be playing here at Sox park at all this year. I thought he might have been joking but after I realized he wasnt, i just said of course, this weekend.

The bandwagoners are a coming, look out!! As much as it'd be nice to sell out most games, Id much rather attend games at the last minute like I did tuesday with around 30-32,000 at the game.

Getupballgetup
06-23-2005, 01:42 AM
HORRIBLE article. VERY biased, only good thing is swimsuit addition. YEAH BABY!

:angry: :angry:

GO WHITESOX! GO JERMAINE! GO PAULY! YES!

Chisox003
06-23-2005, 01:44 AM

:thud:

Mr. White Sox
06-23-2005, 01:49 AM

:o:

fincher
06-23-2005, 06:58 AM
A really poor story. Same tired explanations. Its unreal how the out-of-town media just buys into the stereotype. I don't care about the attendance. Its great if there's a sellout and its great when there's 25,000 like when I went yesterday afternoon -- fewer lines!

There was nothing fair about the story. It was a retread of what has been written the past few weeks everywhere else. That's not news.

wsbaseball9
06-23-2005, 07:58 AM
it mentions fans in SD, does that mean theyre bandwagon fans?
and for the bandwagon fans idk if i should appreciate them for enjoying the sox or disklike them for being, well, bandwagon fans

rdwj
06-23-2005, 08:12 AM
Same crap - new package

Didn't you mean - Good, fair SI article ??

BainesHOF
06-23-2005, 08:20 AM
The better story would be why 37,000 morons show up to every game on the North Side to watch a bunch of whiners and cry babies play bad baseball in a dump.

Andy T Clown
06-23-2005, 08:31 AM
SI has another poll on it's MLB page.

Which Chicago team would you like to see in the World Series? The scrubs have a small lead. Lets change that.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/

The Wall
06-23-2005, 08:36 AM
Has there EVER been a thread on an analysis of whether attendence really translates into big money for the teams?

From what I know, attendence revenues are split 60-40 between home and road teams. So you have to be talking a massive upswing (in excess of 2 million home attendence) to even begin to make attendence a real factor.

If you had 2.5 million fans paying instead of 1.5 million each year, and if average ticket price is $20, then you are simply talking of revenue of just $20 million * 0.6 = 12 million. What can you do with 90% of that money (rest in attendence costs) going to sign a top FA? Yes, you probably might be able to sign back Orodnez for that money or keep Lee around or get Tejada. That is all really it is. Does it get your team over the hump? Can anyone of those guys really make such a dramatic change to the fortunes of the team? Dont think so. The combined playoff series victories of those 3 guys is ZERO.

Stop whining about attendence. This is not 1910. It doesnt make a huge difference in today's setup of baseball.

fincher
06-23-2005, 09:06 AM
The better story would be why 37,000 morons show up to every game on the North Side to watch a bunch of whiners and cry babies play bad baseball in a dump.

Ditto!!!!

dcb33
06-23-2005, 10:17 AM

Is that you, Mekon?

What a piss poor excuse for journalism. So the Sox are second in the Second City because of they aren't as popular? What is this, 8th grade? BULL! It's a freakin' GAME, the object of which is to WIN, and by that measure the Sox are first in the first, second, third, and every other city in the world. True, Chicago is made up of mostly idiots who would rather go watch garbage stink in the sun at that dump on the North Side instead of watching winning baseball, but that's their problem. It has nothing to do with what SI should focus on, and that's results from the field.

Goose
06-23-2005, 10:40 AM
I feel like I am in the movie Groundhog's Day. Every morning I wake up and read the same article over and over and over.

It is beginning to seem like my old college days. I remember recycling term papers from other students that had the same class a semester or two before me...I was afraid of getting caught,but if I knew it was an accepted paractice, I would have majored in journalism.

chitownhawkfan
06-23-2005, 10:48 AM
If packing the Cell means there are a bunch of mental midget band wagon jumping frat boys, no thanks. I'll gladly take 28000 people who are actually there to, get this, WATCH THE GAME. And that picture they took is ridiculous, it makes us look like we draw 1500 either way we are in first place and all of these mediots can stew on that.

:andy

Sxy Mofo
06-23-2005, 10:54 AM
When the White Sox traveled to San Diego and Colorado earlier this month, left-hander Mark Buehrle (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/6525) was stunned at how many White Sox fans they saw -- and heard.

"We'd be coming around the bases and we'd be like, 'Are we at home or on the road?"' Buehrle said.

Every time I read these types of quotes about the away games at colorado it gives me chills. It's amazing how many times I've seen a sox player mention these away games.

I'm glad my fellow sox fans around the country (especially here in colorado) had that type of impact on the players.

mdep524
06-23-2005, 11:03 AM
That's something new and fresh from the news media - an article about attendance.

Another stupid, run of the mill, assinie, hole-filled, myth driven, piece of trash article about attendance. Hey, the White Sox are blowing everybody else in the league out of water...I just KNOW our readers are just DYING for an in-depth article about their attendance trends!

A really poor story. Same tired explanations. Its unreal how the out-of-town media just buys into the stereotype.There was nothing fair about the story. It was a retread of what has been written the past few weeks everywhere else. That's not news.

You guys are all right. <Sigh> Whhhhhy is the media so lazy?

I'm all about the "We Don't Care/Under the Radar" attitude about the media and our team, but that is not an excuse for them to bash the White Sox as a whole (fans, ballpark, attendance, etc.) using stereotypes and superficial inaccuracies.

The Racehorse
06-23-2005, 11:07 AM
LINK (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/06/22/bc.bba.sportsshowcase.ap/)

SI has a... good, fair... *yawn*... article *YAWN* on the SOX... ZZzzzzZZzzzz...

The Dude
06-23-2005, 03:55 PM
:thud:

I give him 1 or 2 more days of thuds.

jehosaphat
06-23-2005, 04:10 PM
it mentions fans in SD, does that mean theyre bandwagon fans?
and for the bandwagon fans idk if i should appreciate them for enjoying the sox or disklike them for being, well, bandwagon fans

Almost everyone starts off as a bandwagon fan - I know I did in '77 and haven't looked back since. So, I say be kind to the bandwagon jumpers.

What drives me nuts about all this yap is that the Sox will probably draw 2.4 million this year, but the story will be that we drew less than the Cubs. So what! We also will draw less than the Yankees and more than the Brewers, it doesn't really make any difference that Cubs happen to be in Chicago. There are teams that draw more than us and teams that draw less. The Sox have a very loyal core fan base, and as many have pointed out on this website, have reasonably healthy attendance year in and year out. The Sox are in a good market, have a good team, yada, yada, yada, yada - it all adds up to a healthy franchise with bright future.

Realist
06-23-2005, 04:10 PM
A good and fair place for this article is in the Roadhouse.

MisterB
06-23-2005, 04:35 PM
From what I know, attendence revenues are split 60-40 between home and road teams.

If I'm not mistaken, the 60/40 gate split was done away with when the Luxury Tax on payrolls was instituted.

Frankfan4life
06-23-2005, 11:41 PM
I wonder how many Yankee articles were written last year that mentioned the Mets in it nine times. These types of articles are just thinly-veiled attacks on the team and its fans. The next anti-Sox attendance article can add that one of the reasons the cubs have a larger fan base is because of all the positive media references they get even when the Sox are the subject of the article. We're all so sick and tired of it.

One other thing that made me :angry: is that not once did the article refer to the White Sox as the Sox. Only Buerhle refers to the White Sox as the "Sox."

Cowhead418
06-24-2005, 10:10 AM
This is another example of why the Flubs outdraw us by so much. If all the mediots write articles about how piss-poor our attendance is compared to the Flubs, and keep praising the Flubs in stories about the Sox, then it's no wonder the casual fans don't come to see the Sox play. The media plays a huge part in the Sox attendance woes.