PDA

View Full Version : PTI on WS chances...

buehrle4cy05
06-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Updating live. Let's see how this one turns out.

The Dude
06-22-2005, 04:50 PM

It'll be very predictable. Wilbon will continue his ass kissing and Tony will say no chance.

buehrle4cy05
06-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Wilbon: 10%

Korheiser: 20% that the Sox win the World Series Have to go through the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, and have no playoff experience

The Dude
06-22-2005, 04:52 PM
It'll be very predictable. Wilbon will continue his ass kissing and Tony will say no chance.

wow i was wrong...they are right about the experience thing. But the 2003 Marlins?? Experience was not with them either.

JermaineDye05
06-22-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm glad they're talking about us making it to the series

FloridaSox
06-22-2005, 04:53 PM
wilbon says 100% sox will finish with best record in AL.

Once your in playoffs, it is crap shoot.

ElevenUp
06-22-2005, 04:54 PM
I don't care what "East Coast Bias" Kornheiser and "Cub-Lovin" Wilbon have to say. I just don't care.

voodoochile
06-22-2005, 04:55 PM

Korheiser: 20% that the Sox win the World Series Have to go through the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, and have no playoff experience

Contreras, Garcia, Buehrle, Garland, El Duque, Hermanson, Frank, PK, Everett, Pierzynki and Dye at least have all been in the playoffs before...

SoxFan78
06-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Contreras, Garcia, Buehrle, Garland, El Duque, Hermanson, Frank, PK, Everett, Pierzynki and Dye at least have all been in the playoffs before...

But only Contreras and El Duque have played on the NEW YORK YANKEES!!! The other's don't count.

So.ILSoxFan
Today: Wilbon/Kornheiser debated the chances that the White Sox would win the world series. Kornheiser went 20% while Wilbon went 10%. Their biggest reason for the low numbers? Lack of playoff experience. Your thoughts? I won't even mention what Michael Smith said on Around The Horn, it's in my sig:angry:

TaylorStSox
Lack of experience doesn't bother me. This team has been playing playoff type baseball all year.

We do the things that win playoff games. Situational hitting is our stongest offensive trait. Speed doesn't slump. Our pitchers are fearless. MB, Garland, Duque and Garcia don't care about pitching with guys on base or in pressure situations.

ilsox7
06-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Today: Wilbon/Kornheiser debated the chances that the White Sox would win the world series. Kornheiser went 20% while Wilbon went 10%. Their biggest reason for the low numbers? Lack of playoff experience. Your thoughts? I won't even mention what Michael Smith said on Around The Horn, it's in my sig:angry:

Low numbers? 20% sounds pretty good to me. The playoffs are often about who gets hot for a couple of weeks. No one is a sure fire thing once October rolls around. Look at the 116 win Mariners.

PicktoCLick72
06-22-2005, 05:03 PM
But Derek Lee has a 50% chance at the Triple Crown.

mr_genius
06-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Low numbers? 20% sounds pretty good to me. The playoffs are often about who gets hot for a couple of weeks. No one is a sure fire thing once October rolls around. Look at the 116 win Mariners.

20% sounds about right to me also

Fenway
06-22-2005, 05:05 PM
wow i was wrong...they are right about the experience thing. But the 2003 Marlins?? Experience was not with them either.

Marlins caught the Giants sleeping in the NLDS

Marlins played the Cubs ( pass go collect $200 )

Marlins then caught an exhausted NYY team that had just beaten Boston.

TaylorStSox
06-22-2005, 05:07 PM

Our team doesn't really remind me of that Mariners team. We look more like late 90's Yankees. That team wasn't filled with superstars. They were a good fielding, proffesional hitting team. They handled pressure well and did what it took to win the games. The epitomized what Hawk says alot. "They didn't beat themselves." They put pressure on the oposition. They capitilized on mistakes.

These are the things that make us a very good team.

maurice
06-22-2005, 05:08 PM

Plus Iguchi and Takatsu have playoff experience in Japan.

downstairs
06-22-2005, 05:36 PM
In terms of pure chance, if the playoffs were a coin flip... a team's chances are 12.5%.

To say the best team in the MLB has LESS of a chance than a coin flip is stupid, no matter the year or team (unless the team clinches, and then gets decimated by injuries, etc.)

If the playoffs started today, I'd say something near double that "coin flip" chance... 25% -ish. Maybe 30%. Beyond that you're being silly becase a lot of the playoffs IS a crap shoot.

downstairs
06-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Our team doesn't really remind me of that Mariners team. We look more like late 90's Yankees. That team wasn't filled with superstars. They were a good fielding, proffesional hitting team. They handled pressure well and did what it took to win the games. The epitomized what Hawk says alot. "They didn't beat themselves." They put pressure on the oposition. They capitilized on mistakes.

These are the things that make us a very good team.

Good point on the 90's Yankees. Remember... most of them only became "stars" because of the eventual playoff wins and the fact that they played in New York.

(example: Derek Jeter would be considered a middle-of-the-road $2 Million/year player if he were in, say, Tampa Bay)

jdm2662
06-22-2005, 05:48 PM
I saw it myself. Can't say I disagree with them. It is only June. Best record in baseball doesn't mean much right now. Although, it's pretty cool to have :D:.
________
Plymouth Gtx History (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Plymouth_GTX)

Rocklive99
06-22-2005, 05:56 PM

I disagree, the Marlins didn't win because of breaks with their opponents, please name me a team that would have been able to hit off Josh Beckett in that postseason, pure domination.

Plus I think playoff experience is a little overrated, I can't compare a World Series atmosphere, but this team has had no problems in the Flub series and has been good on the road

chisox
06-22-2005, 06:01 PM
let's not talk about world series chances for at least another couple months.

nedlug
06-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Derek Jeter wouldn't be a $2M/year player if he wasn't in NY - he'd be at least more than double that, I'd say... however, he definitely wouldn't be a triple-digit-million contract guy, for sure.

Cubbiesuck13
06-22-2005, 06:07 PM
The regular season and the playoffs are worlds apart. It doesn't have to be though. If Bud Selig would make some sort of reward for having the best record in the league then I would have a problem with 20% but since the team that slips in with the wild card has the same chance as the best team in the regular season I don't have a problem with not picking us to win the series. I wouldn't put money on us to win. I doubt any reasonable people here chose us to have the best record before the season started. If we make it to the ALCS I will be very happy. If we don't make it to the WS in the next two years after I will be very angry.

miker
06-22-2005, 07:52 PM

Will you please stop using facts to refute the opinions of our expert analysts!

Thank you,
ESPN

MeanFish
06-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Derek Jeter wouldn't be a $2M/year player if he wasn't in NY - he'd be at least more than double that, I'd say... however, he definitely wouldn't be a triple-digit-million contract guy, for sure.

I think Derek Jeter would be roughly a $8-10M/yr SS, based on the fact that his numbers compare well to those of Edgar Renteria. He hits very well for average, has low to middling power, and fair speed.

beckett21
06-22-2005, 08:28 PM
I disagree, the Marlins didn't win because of breaks with their opponents, please name me a team that would have been able to hit off Josh Beckett in that postseason, pure domination.

You are correct, sir. :yup:

CubsSuckSoBad
06-22-2005, 08:30 PM

This is precisely why I'm glad that I work during the day....so I don't get tempted to watch that ish....

Would just upset me...I know it did during basketball season....

I've just about given up on analysts being experts on anything...:dtroll:

johnny_mostil
06-22-2005, 08:34 PM

The Yankees are old, playing semi-poorly, have a gutted farm system with nothing interesting to trade, have serious pitching problems, and we're just waiting for the season-ending injuries. They aren't a 100-win monster waiting to wake up, they are a has-been riddled team with excessive expectations.

johnny_mostil
06-22-2005, 08:38 PM

That's something people forget -- the 2003 Marlins probably should have lost the NLCS except for That Magnificent B***ard, without whose antic the miracle can't occur! Same way the 1986 Mets should never have won their series if Dave Stapleton was put in at first like he was in virtually every other Red Sox game that year...

MERPER
06-22-2005, 08:51 PM
I realize this isn't the MOST playoff experienced team but it's not all that bad compared to some others....

Dye, Thomas, Konerko, Hermanson, Pierzynski, Contreras, Hernandez, Garcia have all been there before...

Most importantly, Ozzie has won it all and gained playoff coaching experience from Jack McKeon and Bobby Cox....

A lack of experience doesn't scare me here!

pczarapa
06-22-2005, 09:04 PM

I just want to get into the post season, from there on it's really dicey on how teams match up and who's hot. I think the Sox have as good a chance as any out there if the pitching holds up.

elrod
06-22-2005, 10:00 PM
I just want to get into the post season, from there on it's really dicey on how teams match up and who's hot. I think the Sox have as good a chance as any out there if the pitching holds up.

At this point, making it to the post-season is nothing. I only care if this team is good enough to all the way. At 10 games up I expect this team to win the division and probably get home field advantage throughout the playoffs. I'm more concerned about performance in October. El Duque obviously has great post-season success and experience. I completely trust Buehrle. Freddy has a mixed record in the post-season. But what about the hitters in the middle of the lineup? Garland is a question mark but I sense that he'd step it up. Will they go cold like they did in 2000? You can blow the league away and then flop in the first round. Top-notch pitching is key, obviously, but our hitters can't revert to a bad funk.

Lip Man 1
06-22-2005, 10:02 PM
Gang:

In addition to the names listed in the thread you can add Buehrle, Everett, Widger and Perez. ALL have made playoff appearances.

It's way to early to talk World Series but if Kornheiser is going to rate their chances at only 20% then at least use a valid reason.

Lip

MeanFish
06-22-2005, 10:03 PM
At this point, making it to the post-season is nothing. I only care if this team is good enough to all the way. At 10 games up I expect this team to win the division and probably get home field advantage throughout the playoffs. I'm more concerned about performance in October. El Duque obviously has great post-season success and experience. I completely trust Buehrle. Freddy has a mixed record in the post-season. But what about the hitters in the middle of the lineup? Garland is a question mark but I sense that he'd step it up. Will they go cold like they did in 2000? You can blow the league away and then flop in the first round. Top-notch pitching is key, obviously, but our hitters can't revert to a bad funk.

This might be an unpopular view, but I think it's actually more important to establish ourselves as a perennial playoff presence than it is to end the drought with a one-and-done WS run. Count me as one who just wants to make the playoffs. Scratch that -- I want to at least make the ALCS.

Ol' No. 2
06-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Gang:

In addition to the names listed in the thread you can add Buehrle, Everett, Widger and Perez. ALL have made playoff appearances.

It's way to early to talk World Series but if Kornheiser is going to rate their chances at only 20% then at least use a valid reason.

LipPlayoff experience is way overrated, anyway. Besides, this isn't the 1950's anymore. The way players move around, all teams (except for cellar dwellers in rebuilding mode) have a number of players with playoff experience.

daveeym
06-22-2005, 10:41 PM

POTW for that right there.

flo-B-flo
06-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Playoff experience is way overrated, anyway. Besides, this isn't the 1950's anymore. The way players move around, all teams (except for cellar dwellers in rebuilding mode) have a number of players with playoff experience. Whoever is playing the best at the end of the year, does well in the playoffs. Or they gag like the ---s. Playoff "experience" is indeed way overrated.

Cubbiesuck13
06-22-2005, 11:31 PM
That's something people forget -- the 2003 Marlins probably should have lost the NLCS except for That Magnificent B***ard, without whose antic the miracle can't occur! Same way the 1986 Mets should never have won their series if Dave Stapleton was put in at first like he was in virtually every other Red Sox game that year...

You don't honestly think that Bartman is the reason the flubs lost do you? You sound like a flub fan. I love Bartman because he proved, to a national audience, that flub fans don't pay attention to the game. However, I think the error right after that had a bigger role than he did.

batmanZoSo
06-23-2005, 12:16 AM
Lack of experience doesn't bother me. This team has been playing playoff type baseball all year.

We do the things that win playoff games. Situational hitting is our stongest offensive trait. Speed doesn't slump. Our pitchers are fearless. MB, Garland, Duque and Garcia don't care about pitching with guys on base or in pressure situations.

It shouldn't bother you because it's not the case. Half the guys on this team at least have been there. A few even as far as the World Series and several have been there more than once.

The Wall
06-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Yankees are old, Boston is not the same team it was last year and Cards have been there and done that (losing in the playoffs) time and time again. Should you be really scared of a Cards pitching staff that essentially got swept in the last year's series? is that all the confidence levels they feel about our Sox then????

TimoPerez
06-23-2005, 12:37 AM

Don't forget Timo. He literally had one of the best offensive National League Championship Series ever. He was robbed of the series MVP. I guess Mike Hampton deserved it too.

Mercy!
06-23-2005, 01:01 AM
One way post-season stats can be relevant is as a possible indicator of cool-weather hitting ability. I always feel uncomfortable with the "donít worry about so-and-so; heíll pick it up as the weather warms up" explanations for poor hitting in the early going. We heard a lot of that earlier this year. And, yes, Konerko/Dye/Rowand etc. are doing better now. But what might that bode for Sox bats in October?

Cubbiesuck13
06-23-2005, 01:04 AM
Yankees are old, Boston is not the same team it was last year and Cards have been there and done that (losing in the playoffs) time and time again. Should you be really scared of a Cards pitching staff that essentially got swept in the last year's series? is that all the confidence levels they feel about our Sox then????
Boston is going to be the team to beat when the playoffs start, bank on it.
The Cardinals saw a problem and fixed it. They have a great pitching staff. They may have a better team than they did last year. I can't believe you think it is going to be a cake walk into the world series.

Cubbiesuck13
06-23-2005, 01:07 AM
One way post-season stats can be relevant is as a possible indicator of cool-weather hitting ability. I always feel uncomfortable with the "donít worry about so-and-so; heíll pick it up as the weather warms up" explanations for poor hitting in the early going. We heard a lot of that earlier this year. And, yes, Konerko/Dye/Rowand etc. are doing better now. But what might that bode for Sox bats in October?

Thank goodness we don't have the team we did last year huh? Maybe we can catch a break and play in a dome for the entire post season. This team won in the early part of the season and they can play small ball to win.

Lip Man 1
06-23-2005, 01:50 AM
Mercy:

Your comments are balanced by the fact that by mid September the ball stops carrying as well in Comiskey Park as it does during the hot summer months.

Remember how on fire the Sox staff was at home in April and May?

:smile:

I can easily see a bunch of 3-2, 2-1 or 3-1 playoff wins.

Lip

TaylorStSox
06-23-2005, 01:59 AM
Mercy:

Your comments are balanced by the fact that by mid September the ball stops carrying as well in Comiskey Park as it does during the hot summer months.

Remember how on fire the Sox staff was at home in April and May?

:smile:

I can easily see a bunch of 3-2, 2-1 or 3-1 playoff wins.

Lip

Lip in positive post shocker!!! It is our year!!! :bandance::gulp::bandance::gulp:

Getupballgetup
06-23-2005, 02:00 AM
It's our year indeed baby!! Chicago FLUBS?!

NO! THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE WHITE SOCK.

IT'S AS GOOD AS ON THE BOARD.....YES!!!!

Chisox003
06-23-2005, 02:01 AM

:thud:

CleeFan101
06-23-2005, 02:47 AM
Yes lets not forget Timo and his awesome playoff experiance with the Mets, I just hope he doesnt assume that when frank thomas hits a line drive to the OF Timo doesnt think its a HR and start jogging

wdelaney72
06-23-2005, 09:18 AM

1) The Marlins were good enough in the regular season to make the playoffs.
+
2) The Marlins played the best baseball in the postseason.
=
Marlins winning the world series.

Let's not make this any more complicatd than it needs to be. They won, and they earned it. Period.

Tekijawa
06-23-2005, 09:50 AM
What about the Angels of a few years back? I believe they won the World Series and I can't think of a player on that team that was there before or since for that matter!

skottyj242
06-23-2005, 09:55 AM
On Around the Horn yesterday the panel lambasted us, fans of the Chicago White Sox, for booing Ozzie for taking out Garland on Tuesday, they said we were dumb and uneducated which obviously got me fired up. They then failed to mention that after Jon handed the ball to Ozzie and made the stroll to the dugout the whole place gave him a standing ovation and he tipped his cap to the crowd which got us even louder. What a crock ESPN is.

The Dude
06-23-2005, 03:53 PM

wow.....:?:

SOXSINCE'70
06-23-2005, 04:25 PM

El Duque's 3 WS rings are the only reason KW is putting up
with his "hurt shoulder" (even though MRI's show nothing).

buehrle4cy05
06-23-2005, 05:10 PM
El Duque's 3 WS rings are the only reason KW is putting up
with his "hurt shoulder" (even though MRI's show nothing).

Yep. If it wasn't for all of El Duque's playoff experience (with the Yankees:o:), he's starting Sunday.

Erik The Red
06-23-2005, 05:17 PM
116 wins... That's Cubs territory.

Go Go Everetts
06-24-2005, 12:15 AM
Lets also remember Ozzie has plenty of postseason experience as a third base coach for the Marlins.