PDA

View Full Version : Nancy thread

mike squires
06-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Pleae post all Nancy threads from nothing but nancy day here. What did she play? Run Around Sue, Alabama song? We want details. Had to work so was only able to watch a little bit of it at work. Thanks!!!

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2005, 05:30 PM
I was rather shocked that she didn't play the 1959 Go Go White Sox song. She did try to duplicate the Shingo Time song, but she needs to work on that a little more. They should've turned up the volume a little more tho...Sometimes it was a little hard to hear some of the stuff she was playing.

skobabe8
06-22-2005, 06:46 PM
I thought it was funny when she was playing the music for the Chevy Pride Crew.

She played a great 7th inning stretch with her on the big screen the whole time, and followed it up with "Rock around the clock"

She played "Sooner or later, love is gonna get ya" before one of Ozuna's at bats.

32nd&Wallace
06-22-2005, 06:48 PM
MJH said that she will get "whacked" after this year. All of them seemed kind of giggly about it. Harry said Nothing But Nancy was little more than a "here's your watch and now leave" type thing. This would be one of the worst PR blunders this organization could ever make.

TornLabrum
06-22-2005, 07:13 PM
MJH said that she will get "whacked" after this year. All of them seemed kind of giggly about it. Harry said Nothing But Nancy was little more than a "here's your watch and now leave" type thing. This would be one of the worst PR blunders this organization could ever make.

This coming from three clowns who are on the station the Sox are leaving, and who get a whole lot of free jerseys from the guy who is the Sox DJ (who also runs a store that sells that kind of stuff and which is an advertiser on their station).

BTW, Nancy told me after the game that WSI a part in the genesis of this idea. You may recall a column in the Trib that was very positive about Nancy and which included a quote from a former Sox executive that said, "Maybe the other 95% of the crowd thinks she stinks."

After that WSI picked up on that and published some articles in praise of Nancy. She said that everything snowballed from there.

kevingrt
06-22-2005, 07:16 PM

Wow that is pretty crazy, but then again they have real open mouths and don't care right now if they piss off the Sox brass, oh well.

But it was weird to begin the ballgame. All of a sudden I look up at the scoreboard and it has the intro video going on. I am so used to hearing the Pirates of the Carribean music or ACDC Thunderstruck.

Nancy did do a fine job today though and got much love from the crowd.

Ol' No. 2
06-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Dear Brooks,

Please do this again. Often. It was great.

StrTrkker
06-22-2005, 08:14 PM
I loved it. I think Nancy is a doll and the Sox are very lucky to have her. I loved her music today and didnt really miss the high tech stuff at all. Lets do another Nancy Day soon...

Nancy is the best. :worship:

White Sox Josh
06-22-2005, 08:26 PM
This coming from three clowns who are on the station the Sox are leaving, and who get a whole lot of free jerseys from the guy who is the Sox DJ (who also runs a store that sells that kind of stuff and which is an advertiser on their station).

BTW, Nancy told me after the game that WSI a part in the genesis of this idea. You may recall a column in the Trib that was very positive about Nancy and which included a quote from a former Sox executive that said, "Maybe the other 95% of the crowd thinks she stinks."

After that WSI picked up on that and published some articles in praise of Nancy. She said that everything snowballed from there.has WSI ever done an interview with Nancy? That would be pretty cool.

Erik The Red
06-22-2005, 08:26 PM
I heard this too... is this true, is "she gone" at the end of the year? If so, this is the first I've heard about it.

TheOldRoman
06-22-2005, 08:28 PM
Dear Brooks,

Please do this again. Often. It was great.
I think they should have "nothing but Nancy" every Sunday.

Ol' No. 2
06-22-2005, 08:30 PM
I heard this too... is this true, is "she gone" at the end of the year? If so, this is the first I've heard about it.MJH need to get their heads out where the sun shines. When Rob Gallas was VP of marketing, he was trying desperately to shove Nancy aside. Brooks seems to have a more sensible view, and everything he's said indicates he understands the treasure she is.

White Sox Josh
06-22-2005, 08:32 PM
I've had Brooks on my radio show once and he said that keeping Nancy around is a priority.

CallMeNuts
06-22-2005, 08:36 PM

I participated in a Sox Marketing Department survey at the park last weekend. One of the questions I was asked is which music I preferred. Organ or DJ. Nancy got my vote.

IMHO, the Sox are not dumb enough to can a long-term treasure like Nancy. Too much backlash for somebody who is probably underpaid to begin with.

But I bet her air time stays about as it is now.

TornLabrum
06-22-2005, 08:38 PM
has WSI ever done an interview with Nancy? That would be pretty cool.

I'll DO it (especially if others express such sentiment).

NonetheLoaiza
06-22-2005, 08:40 PM
I wished I could have gone today, but I was in Peoria the last 3 days, and didn't get back until 1. I had tickets, but it was too late to go. Nancy deserves all the praise she gets. I look forward every time to hearing her play.

Rich McKinney
06-22-2005, 08:41 PM
Nothing but Nancy...

I'd be for nothing but Nancy each and every single game. She was quite the star in 1977 and, I think, she was the first to play rock-pop songs at the ballpark while teams like the Cubs would have their organists play the typical World War II-style songs over and over again.

TheOldRoman
06-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Brooks really does understand what an asset Nancy is and how much the fans love her. He also understands that we have an actual living tradition in Nancy at a time when fancy new ballparks are trying to create faux-retro tradition. I have emailed Brooks before, and he basically said "Its her position as long as she wants it. And when she retires, we will find a new organist."

And as people posted, there would be a HUGE backlash if the Sox cut ties with Nancy. Us hardcore obsessives on WSI would be up in arms. Also, the media would run with it. Even though they have completely ignored Nancy all these years, they would hype it up and make her a martyr (rightfully so) and use it to once again say "that white sox are a horrible organization." The Cubune would be outraged, and then they would try to hire Nancy to play at the Urinal. I dont want to hear Cub fans 15 years from now talking about how Nancy is theirs and they started a tradition with her.

Ol' No. 2
06-22-2005, 09:04 PM
I'll DO it (especially if others express such sentiment).YES

Emphatic enough?

White Sox Josh
06-22-2005, 09:05 PM
I'll DO it (especially if others express such sentiment).YES!!!

Erik The Red
06-22-2005, 09:08 PM
I'll third that.

I loved hearing her play some classics, along with songs from newer artists like Outkast and Green Day. Sox Park would truly not be the same without her.

beckett21
06-22-2005, 09:21 PM

Please do. :smile:

Things wouldn't be the same without her.

TomBradley72
06-22-2005, 09:23 PM
It's a shame she's not more visible during the game...at the old park she was right there in the upper deck...more or less among the fans...now she disappears into the cinder block cubicle. I'd make her more visible....more visible then on TV as well...part of promoting the Cell as a great experience. For year in the new park...it almost seemed like she wasn't there anymore. Kudos to Brooks for honoring her....

32nd&Wallace
06-22-2005, 09:24 PM
I called up MJH to comment and the intern told me that they were just joking around. Odd. Pretty tactless to talk about someone's job being in limbo and not make any mention that it was done in jest.

And yes, both Harry and Mac went out of their way to mention how much they love the deejay.

CallMeNuts
06-22-2005, 09:30 PM
I called up MJH to comment and the intern told me that they were just joking around. Odd. Pretty tactless to talk about someone's job being in limbo and not make any mention that it was done in jest.

And yes, both Harry and Mac went out of their way to mention how much they love the deejay.

Real Funny. Their station just got canned by the Sox, so they want OT make the Sox look like a low-class disloyal organization. You can differ in opinion with the Chairman, but he is a very loyal man to those that have been loyal to his organization.

TheOldRoman
06-22-2005, 09:35 PM
You mean Dugout DJ Dancin' Joe Stephen?:cool:

TornLabrum
06-22-2005, 10:03 PM
You mean Dugout DJ Dancin' Joe Stephen?:cool:

No, the current DJ is Chris. What they didn't mention is he also owns Triple Threat Sports, the company that supplies them with free jerseys. (Also a station sponsor.)

SpammySosa
06-22-2005, 10:13 PM

Would tomorrow be too soon to set up the interview?:wink:

:hawk
"I loooooooooooooooveeeeee Nancy Faust!"

TornLabrum
06-22-2005, 10:15 PM
Would tomorrow be too soon to set up the interview?:wink:

:hawk
"I loooooooooooooooveeeeee Nancy Faust!"

Okay, I emailed her. Just be aware I'm going to be out of town this weekend, and I don't have another game until July 8.

Rocklive99
06-22-2005, 10:22 PM
I think they should have "nothing but Nancy" every Sunday.

That's a great idea, I've been to Sunday games in past years, and the speaker music seems out of place, and throw in the Nancy factor, and it seems like a no-brainer. I can't believe I haven't thought of it sooner, get it done!

edit: also I think Comcast said on the tease that they're going to show a piece on nancy on sportsnite

Palehose13
06-22-2005, 10:36 PM
Just got back...it was absolute heaven! I brought a first-timer to Sox Park today and she wasn't quite sure why all the hype about the organist...she understood in about 10 minutes. Most people think "organ-player" and think of typical organ music. Nancy plays songs from all eras (Runaround Sue was played when the KC pitching coach went to the mound) and it's fun to listen and then realize what song it is...then start singing along.

What I found to be VERY encouraging was the number of kids that were at her booth to visit her today. If the younger generation Sox fans fall in love with her, she will for sure be around forever. It seems that because of Gallas (with the new park) many people in their teens and early 20's now don't have a place in their heart for Nancy cause they never experienced her like we older folks did at the Baseball Palace. Hopefully she will be embraced again and get more PT than before!

Oh...on last thing...seems that "Rawhide" is the song she plays for Aaron. It would have been interesting to see what she would have played for Podsednik. Hal, will you please ask her that for me?

soltrain21
06-22-2005, 10:39 PM
I am a 20 year old who had to grow up in the Gallas era, but I love her non the less. I took my GF to her first game today (she is orginally from Texas) and she had a blast. Already wants to go back.

We have roped in another!

ilsox7
06-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Heard on TV she has amazingly only missed 5 games in the last 35 years. Unreal.

Ol' No. 2
06-22-2005, 10:42 PM
They just said they're going to have a special on CSN on Nancy after the Flubs game.

White Sox Josh
06-22-2005, 10:43 PM
They just said they're going to have a special on CSN on Nancy after the Flubs game.Look for me to be singing Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye. I was on TV. I have the Buehrle Shirt.

havelj
06-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Excellent day - she seemed so happy to finally get the recognition she deserves and played great - love "Run Around Sue."

Check this link and click on the "1972" pic with Melty-can his pants be any tighter?

http://www.chicago-baseball-photos.com/f/faustnancy/index.htm

Lip Man 1
06-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Here's an interview with Nancy:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=1747

Lip

SpammySosa
06-22-2005, 10:51 PM
They just said they're going to have a special on CSN on Nancy after the Flubs game.

CSN was interviewing fans Monday night for that special.Some reason I went into shy mode and declined my 15 minutes of fame.:wink:

kingpin_rcs
06-22-2005, 11:18 PM
If the sox make the playoffs this year (knock, knock), I think Brooks should do everything he can to get the broadcast crew (Fox?) to talk about the traditions that the White Sox have, not the least of which is Nancy.

Many of the traditions that the Sox have have been copied by most MLB teams but the Sox started them. Fireworks for HR's, Turn back the Clock games, Freebies just for coming to the game and Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye!

There was a great chance in 2003 with the All-Star game. Gallas had a great chance to get the word out and prepare the ESPN crew with good material. I don't think that happened and it could be part of why he is no longer with the organization.

TornLabrum
06-22-2005, 11:18 PM
Just got back...it was absolute heaven! I brought a first-timer to Sox Park today and she wasn't quite sure why all the hype about the organist...she understood in about 10 minutes. Most people think "organ-player" and think of typical organ music. Nancy plays songs from all eras (Runaround Sue was played when the KC pitching coach went to the mound) and it's fun to listen and then realize what song it is...then start singing along.

What I found to be VERY encouraging was the number of kids that were at her booth to visit her today. If the younger generation Sox fans fall in love with her, she will for sure be around forever. It seems that because of Gallas (with the new park) many people in their teens and early 20's now don't have a place in their heart for Nancy cause they never experienced her like we older folks did at the Baseball Palace. Hopefully she will be embraced again and get more PT than before!

Oh...on last thing...seems that "Rawhide" is the song she plays for Aaron. It would have been interesting to see what she would have played for Podsednik. Hal, will you please ask her that for me?

I'll try to remember to do that next time I email her. I'm waiting for her reply to my interview request first.

TornLabrum
06-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Heard on TV she has amazingly only missed 5 games in the last 35 years. Unreal.

Yup. We saw the reason today when we were exchanging handshakes with her family. Eric's pictures then and now were on the scoreboard today, too.

daveeym
06-22-2005, 11:37 PM
I have emailed Brooks before, and he basically said "Its her position as long as she wants it. And when she retires, we will find a new organist." I think that's the key here. If there's any truth to MJ&H it's that "she's gone" at the end of the year. If so, I'm guessing it's on her terms. And if that's the case you wish her the best. Everything comes to an end. But I HIGHLY doubt the Sox are foolish enough to give her her walking papers.

Ol' No. 2
06-22-2005, 11:42 PM
Does anyone know the significance of the number 88 that Nancy wore today?

Check that...88 keys. It just occured to me.

Hitmen77
06-22-2005, 11:48 PM
I was at today's game and it was TERRIFIC!! I want more Nothing But Nancy Days! When the game ended, she played the entire Na-na-kiss 'em Goodbye song. That was great. Nowadays all we here is a quick, abreviated 10-second version of that song.

Not only do I think she's great, but I really don't care for the loud DJ music they have blaring at every other game. It was a welcome relief to be at a game an not have music blaring obnoxiously non-stop. It's not just me - I brought my young daughter to Kids Day a couple of weeks ago and, quite frankly, she hated the constant loud music booming - it was upsetting her to have the music cranked up like that. I wanted to bring her to a ballgame, not a rock concert!

Can anyone provide me and others who attended with Brooks Boyer's e-mail address so that I can send a note in support of more Nancy-only days?

If anyone from Sox management is reading this, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do this more often! Do it more than just once a year buried in a weekday afternoon game!

Hitmen77
06-22-2005, 11:57 PM
... And as people posted, there would be a HUGE backlash if the Sox cut ties with Nancy. Us hardcore obsessives on WSI would be up in arms. Also, the media would run with it. Even though they have completely ignored Nancy all these years, they would hype it up and make her a martyr (rightfully so) and use it to once again say "that white sox are a horrible organization." The Cubune would be outraged, and then they would try to hire Nancy to play at the Urinal. I dont want to hear Cub fans 15 years from now talking about how Nancy is theirs and they started a tradition with her.

EXACTLY! I don't get the Sox organization - don't they realize that the crosstown competition has been taking them to the cleaners over the past 20 years by stressing a traditional baseball experience. Don't they realize that over the past 15 years, a "retro" craze has swept baseball. And YET, the Sox, in their infinite wisdom have turned their backs on an irreplacable institution and have steadfastly believed that they need to ram loud, taped music down our throats in order to build their fan base and get people to come to the ballpark. The stupidity exhibited by this organization is sometimes just amazing!

Viva Medias B's
06-23-2005, 12:20 AM
I think that's the key here. If there's any truth to MJ&H it's that "she's gone" at the end of the year. If so, I'm guessing it's on her terms. And if that's the case you wish her the best. Everything comes to an end. But I HIGHLY doubt the Sox are foolish enough to give her her walking papers.

If she was retiring, they probably would have done this toward the end of the regular season. Also, Nancy was on with Mike North today. Does anyone know what she said there?

flo-B-flo
06-23-2005, 12:21 AM
I'll DO it (especially if others express such sentiment). WHEN?:smile:

flo-B-flo
06-23-2005, 12:24 AM

And yes, both Harry and Mac went out of their way to mention how much they love the deejay. This is why the talk **** radio culture sucks.

TornLabrum
06-23-2005, 12:34 AM
I would say that so far the things that we can say regarding the whole MJ&H deal is that:

a) They know that the Sox are leaving, and they have nothing to lose by talking ****.
b) There is a connection between the canned music they advocate, a station sponsor, and their supply of free jerseys both for themselves and for show giveaways. The DJ is the person supplying those jerseys and purchasing advertising time on WMVP.
c) Nancy's contract does expire at the end of this season. If she and the Sox would happen to not come to terms, then she would be gone.

I'll leave the speculation up to you as to how MJ&H might come to the conclusion that Nancy might be let go.

tebman
06-23-2005, 12:36 AM
And I know you will, but I'll remind you anyway -- please let her know how deeply we appreciate her work. She's simply wonderful and she adds wit, irony and whimsy to every game.

We're a lucky bunch of fans to have Nancy.

shoota
06-23-2005, 12:43 AM
She played "Sooner or later, love is gonna get ya" before one of Ozuna's at bats.

I don't get it. What am I missing?

I knew today was NBN day thanks to Palehose's signature, and I tried to listen over the radio and TV for the songs she played today. I didn't have much luck, and I'm sure I missed out for not being at the park.

I was watching CBS 10 o'clock news, I think, and the sports segment covered the NBN day. The segment ended by saying how Nancy doesn't want to leave without having seen a White Sox World Series. Then anchor Antonio Mora said something like this: "With the way the Sox are playing, it looks like she won't have to wait long."

:thumbsup: Antonio Mora just gained himself a fan.

TDog
06-23-2005, 01:13 AM
Sadly I haven't been able to go to Sox games for about two years, and I couldn't go to today's game. But I began successfully lobbying my mother to take me to Sox games in 1970 and even had a Sunday season-ticket package when I was in high school a few years later. Nancy Faust played the soundtrack for my teenage years.

Every day should be should be Nothing But Nancy Day. Every night game should be Nothing But Nancy Night. And When Nancy Faust calls it quits, the Baseball Hall of Fame needs to find a special place for her.

BainesHOF
06-23-2005, 02:06 AM
I'm a hard-core rocker who goes to a lot of concerts. I never understood why the Sox went to blaring canned music at the park. It's bad enough at any baseball game, but it's ridiculous to hear it when we have Nancy Faust. She should be allowed to play a lot more.

Through the years the Sox have seemingly done all they could to draw your attention away from the ballgame. With the team playing so well now, it's time for the organization to take a good, hard look at the way they do many things. The blaring canned music should be cut drastically. Not only do fans prefer to hear Nancy, but a ballgame should be a place where you can talk to your friends. Even the young crowd the organization seemingly is gearing the blaring canned music to likes to be able talk to each other at a game. All you have to do is take a look at the outfield concourse during any game to see that's true.

Ditch the blaring canned music already. Let Nancy play, and give her a wide open spot so fans can see her. There's no reason to hide her in the equivalent of a prison cell.

And whoever is in charge of playing the blaring canned music has absolutely no taste whatsoever. None. The music played is uninspired, bad and formulaic, which of course just makes its blaring all the worse. It needs to go away. For good. Right now.

Lip Man 1
06-23-2005, 02:53 AM
Saw Nancy's segment on Comcast Sports. I thought it was fine except they should have showed some footage of Harry signing along with Nancy during the 7th inning stretch.

This would help show how far back she's been a part of the team and also showed clearly to the revisionist Cub fans that contrary to what they think during their drunkin hazes, they didn't invent the 7th inning sing-a-long.

And yes that footage still exists, if I have a copy I'm sure one of the TV stations do.

Lip

Mr. White Sox
06-23-2005, 02:55 AM
The music played is uninspired, bad and formulaic, which of course just makes its blaring all the worse. It needs to go away. For good. Right now.

Absolutely; I agree with that post entirely. As for the canned music? Some of the worst stuff has to be with PK up...we get a drum beat that's off-beat, and some random guitar riff that gets repeated over, and over, and over...
:(:

Sad
06-23-2005, 08:49 AM
yesterday was a great day!

:)
enjoyed the Nancy tribute, the game, the steak pita, the beer etc. etc.

mike squires
06-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Did the fans sing along to Run Around Sue?

Hal, you shouuld print off this thread and the other positive threads about Nancy and give them to her. I think it would mean a lot to her.

I have 3 shelves full of WhiteSox memorbilia...including an autographed Fisk bat, ball, tons of autographs and bobleheads galor. One of my favorite pieces and it rests in the center of the first shelf is a ball signed by Nancy Faust that says, "To Mike, Great Catch Nancy Faust" Also on the shelf is a pic of me, my brother and Nancy right before game two of the 2000 playoffs.

tebman
06-23-2005, 09:51 AM

One of Nancy's musical puns: "Ozuna or later, love is gonna get ya..." :cool:

TornLabrum
06-23-2005, 10:04 AM
And I know you will, but I'll remind you anyway -- please let her know how deeply we appreciate her work. She's simply wonderful and she adds wit, irony and whimsy to every game.

We're a lucky bunch of fans to have Nancy.

She knows. I keep her posted on what is said about her here. I even let her know several of the requests that were made for music yesterday before Saturday's game. You will notice that when Takatsu came out she played "SH-I-N-G-O" (and Shingo was his name-o) which was a WSI suggestion from last year that I passed along to her then. I sang along.

She has also agreed to do an interview with me for WSI. I'll be gone for the weekend, but I'll make arrangements next week. Some of that interview will probably also appear in the Windy City Sox Fans newsletter, too.

Amazingly, when I wrote to her about the crap from MJ&H, she just shrugged it off. I'm still listening exclusively to Steve Dahl, who has had nothing but good things to say about Nancy, rather than flipping back and forth during commercials. Expect something whenever we can get a new column up here after I get back from taking this weekend off.

(I don't know what plans there are now for changing the front page.)

ewokpelts
06-23-2005, 10:05 AM
I was at today's game and it was TERRIFIC!! I want more Nothing But Nancy Days! When the game ended, she played the entire Na-na-kiss 'em Goodbye song. That was great. Nowadays all we here is a quick, abreviated 10-second version of that song.

Not only do I think she's great, but I really don't care for the loud DJ music they have blaring at every other game. It was a welcome relief to be at a game an not have music blaring obnoxiously non-stop. It's not just me - I brought my young daughter to Kids Day a couple of weeks ago and, quite frankly, she hated the constant loud music booming - it was upsetting her to have the music cranked up like that. I wanted to bring her to a ballgame, not a rock concert!

Can anyone provide me and others who attended with Brooks Boyer's e-mail address so that I can send a note in support of more Nancy-only days?

If anyone from Sox management is reading this, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do this more often! Do it more than just once a year buried in a weekday afternoon game!
bboyer@chisox.com

TornLabrum
06-23-2005, 10:06 AM

I knew today was NBN day thanks to Palehose's signature, and I tried to listen over the radio and TV for the songs she played today. I didn't have much luck, and I'm sure I missed out for not being at the park.

I was watching CBS 10 o'clock news, I think, and the sports segment covered the NBN day. The segment ended by saying how Nancy doesn't want to leave without having seen a White Sox World Series. Then anchor Antonio Mora said something like this: "With the way the Sox are playing, it looks like she won't have to wait long."

He lost one when he started by saying something like, "One of the people at U.S. Cellular Field that fans might not know is Nancy Faust." Diane Burns was all over that one, saying, "Everybody who goes to Sox games knows Nancy Faust." Diane Burns gained a fan.

TornLabrum
06-23-2005, 10:09 AM
Absolutely; I agree with that post entirely. As for the canned music? Some of the worst stuff has to be with PK up...we get a drum beat that's off-beat, and some random guitar riff that gets repeated over, and over, and over...
:(:

That says a lot about Konerko since the players pick their intro music. Maybe that's why he goes into prolonged slumps. No sense of timing.

Dan H
06-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Instead of having mopes throw T-shirts into the stands between innings, just have Nancy entertain. I don't understand why they think some canned and phony act can replace her.

TornLabrum
06-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Instead of having mopes throw T-shirts into the stands between innings, just have Nancy entertain. I don't understand why they think some canned and phony act can replace her.

The T-shirts are advertising. Chevrolet foots the bill for that. Ditto Pontiac and LaSalle Bank for the fundamentals thing each game (which at least gives Nancy a chance to play an old LaSalle Bank jingle afterwards.)

mike squires
06-23-2005, 10:25 AM
And have you seen the T-Shirts??? I caught one a few months ago and was excited to get one only to unwrap it to find a big Chevrolet advertisement. The shirt is a small and would look good only if I were to go out clubbin. (you know to show off the guns.:cool: ) Almost caught another one on Memorial day but had my daughter in the other hand and it bounced off my other. My point is I agree with you. The T-Shirts suck. More Nancy.

JRIG
06-23-2005, 10:26 AM
One of my favorite Comiskey memories is having a friend suggest to Nancy that she play "Walk Like an Egyptian" when Miguel Cairo came up to the plate.

She said it was a great idea an played it for his first at-bat that game.

standman
06-23-2005, 10:28 AM
the good news is...she wasn't given a harley! how about a nancy bobble head doll day.

TornLabrum
06-23-2005, 10:35 AM
the good news is...she wasn't given a harley! how about a nancy bobble head doll day.

Let's just hope she doesn't get asked to accompany the team to Cleveland.

32nd&Wallace
06-23-2005, 10:46 AM
Let's just hope she doesn't get asked to accompany the team to Cleveland. yeah, I hope security will let her in for any possible post-season games

Hitmen77
06-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Did the fans sing along to Run Around Sue?

No, I didn't notice anyone singing along. I guess after not playing this for 10(?) years, most of the crowd is not going to be aware of a tradition that has been whitewashed out of the ballpark experience by myopic Sox management.

Yeah, who needs traditions at baseball games. Name me one team that's been successful in sticking with traditions.

GregoryEtc
06-23-2005, 10:59 AM

I like the mopes... (although wouldn't actual 'MOPES' represent Chrysler? Or would they be called MOPARS?) But I think instead of shooting tshirts out of those potato guns, they should shoot ACTUAL POTATOES! mmmmm potatoes. Talk about Pontiac excitement!

nlentz88
06-23-2005, 11:00 AM
1. A new Nacy interview? Sweet! I would love to read her opinions on the current state of ballpark music. Does she ever visit other ballparks and critique their music?

2. The Sox better do everything they can to renew Nancy's contract. I hope they understand how much she means to us. Whenever I bring someone to Sox Park for the first time, I always make sure to bring them to Nancy's booth and tell them about her contributions to White Sox tradition.

3. I understand the need for a DJ in our modern times, especially for marketing purposes. Nevertheless, when I bring people to Sox Park for the first time I never make a point to talk about the DJ. There's no personality in the canned music that is played.

4. Nancy we love you!

Hitmen77
06-23-2005, 11:01 AM
bboyer@chisox.com

Thanks!!!!!

chisox117
06-23-2005, 11:22 AM
While I’d personally greatly prefer Nothing But Nancy every game, I think some (maybe a lot) of the players prefer the taped music to Nancy. Obviously they have no grasp of South Side traditions. I can remember reading an interview a few years back (with Brook Fordyce, I think) where he said (paraphrasing here) that the Sox should get rid of the organ altogether because it put the players to sleep and that the taped music helped them get "up".

I wonder if this was an accurate representation of the Sox player’s feelings about the organ music overall, (do they talk to management about reducing or eliminating the organ music?) or was Fordyce more or less just speaking for himself? Out of curiosity, has anyone read any reaction about NBN day, or the organ music in general from any current players?

GO SOX!!!!:gulp:

The Racehorse
06-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Yesterday's game via MLB.TV had the Royals feed. The KC announcers mentioned that is was Nothing But Nancy Day and gave her some nice, deserved props... as they chuckled when she busted out the theme from Green Acres.

35 years is a long time, but I'm hoping Nancy stays with the SOX for many more years.

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment of this thread in that the SOX would be better off dumping the typical blaring canned music and simply let Nancy do her thing in between innings... that would be the most simplest, positive way to separate the experience at the Cell from all other venues [especially the Urinal].

If Brooks peruses this thread, then my message to him is 'keep Nancy & lose the blaring canned music'.

Hitmen77
06-23-2005, 11:46 AM
While I’d personally greatly prefer Nothing But Nancy every game, I think some (maybe a lot) of the players prefer the taped music to Nancy. Obviously they have no grasp of South Side traditions. I can remember reading an interview a few years back (with Brook Fordyce, I think) where he said (paraphrasing here) that the Sox should get rid of the organ altogether because it put the players to sleep and that the taped music helped them get "up".

I wonder if this was an accurate representation of the Sox player’s feelings about the organ music overall, (do they talk to management about reducing or eliminating the organ music?) or was Fordyce more or less just speaking for himself? Out of curiosity, has anyone read any reaction about NBN day, or the organ music in general from any current players?

GO SOX!!!!:gulp:

I don't give a *#$@! what the players think about taped music vs. organist. THE FANS are the paying customers and the ballpark music is for OUR entertainment. The idea that a bunch of guys who should be focusing on the game and who get PAID millions of dollars a year to play should have a say in the choice of music - or that they would even suggests that the organ music bothers them or affects their performance - is a load of crap.

Why is it that I never hear any players complain about the lack loud canned music at Wrigely Field?

The Racehorse
06-23-2005, 11:53 AM

Players already chug a ton of coffee [and hopefully nothing else]... what else do they want in order to get amped? Maybe Fordyce has an attention-deficit problem.

skobabe8
06-23-2005, 12:05 PM
If you need some Outkast or Metallica played over a loudspeaker before playing in a Major League Baseball game to get "up" then you don't need to be here. Besides, Fordyce, that didnt work for you anyway.

I've added remodeling Nancy's organ box to my list of 'Minor Renovations I'd Like To See.' 2 different people asked me at the game where she was and I had to pint to that little cinder box under the press box. "Trust me, you cant see her, but shes in there."

tacosalbarojas
06-23-2005, 12:15 PM
I voice my assent to the chorus: more Nancy days at the yard. Especially on an evening or weekend when us working blokes can attend. By the way, on that Comcast piece Brooks was quoted as something to the effect of: "Nancy will be back next year as long as she wants to be back."

Palehose13
06-23-2005, 12:20 PM
I don't give a *#$@! what the players think about taped music vs. organist. THE FANS are the paying customers and the ballpark music is for OUR entertainment. The idea that a bunch of guys who should be focusing on the game and who get PAID millions of dollars a year to play should have a say in the choice of music - or that they would even suggests that the organ music bothers them or affects their performance - is a load of crap.

Why is it that I never hear any players complain about the lack loud canned music at Wrigely Field?

Agreed. I would hope that Ozzie and the other coaches remember the "Nancy experience" from Old Comiskey and would set the current players straight on that.

btw...I sang along with Run Around Sue. :cool:

house215
06-23-2005, 12:25 PM

Antonio Mora actually threw out the first pitch about a month ago. I was sitting right behind the scout seats and Antonio Mora came back from throwing the pitch and he was talking to some people right bellow me in the tunnel area and I yelled at him "Hey Antonio, does this mean you guys are actually going to cover the Sox now?" He looked at me and smiled and just kept moving.

mike squires
06-23-2005, 12:26 PM
has anyone ever stopped by to watch her play. She's got 3 or 4 different things going on at once. Amazing. What talent. It's fun to watch. Stop by sometime and watch her. She'll even let you step into her office. She's so accomodating.

mike squires
06-23-2005, 12:27 PM
83 postes for Nancy. I think that is saying something.

house215
06-23-2005, 12:32 PM
Is it true that she can't even read sheet music? If thats true she is even more amazing than I thought she was.

fquaye149
06-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Does anyone know the significance of the number 88 that Nancy wore today?

Check that...88 keys. It just occured to me.

Organs have a lot more keys don't they?

maybe she's a lindros fan

skobabe8
06-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Is it true that she can't even read sheet music? If thats true she is even more amazing than I thought she was.

I know she said that she never buys sheet music to learn a new song. She'll buy the CD, listen to it and learn it. Thats incredible.

Iron Dragon
06-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Here's another post for Nancy. Keep her as long as she wants to stay! I'm sorry I missed the game yesterday, tough to make a 3 1/2 hour trip for a weekday afternoon game.

Palehose13
06-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Here's part of my e-mail to Brooks. I figure he should know how much we enjoyed it, so that maybe Nancy will get more PT!

"Nothing but Nancy" was excellent. I hope that you enjoyed it as much as I did. I don't have to tell you Nancy's history, but she means so much to us fans. I miss the days of singing "Run around Sue" when the opposing team's pitching coach visits the mound, and hearing the whole ballpark burs out in "Kiss him Goodbye" after a Sox homerun.I hope that the organization decides to give her more playing time and showcase her more. She is a gem and one of the many Sox traditions. The way she is currently being used is equivalent to the Brewers only running the Brat for the Sausage race!

Ol' No. 2
06-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Here's part of my e-mail to Brooks. I figure he should know how much we enjoyed it, so that maybe Nancy will get more PT!I sent him one, too (and got a quick reply). I think he's probably spent the whole day today replying to emails about NBN day.

Palehose13
06-23-2005, 01:51 PM
I sent him one, too (and got a quick reply). I think he's probably spent the whole day today replying to emails about NBN day.

Were you there yesterday? I thought I may have saw you in the section next to me for a brief time, but wasn't sure...

shoota
06-23-2005, 02:09 PM
One of Nancy's musical puns: "Ozuna or later, love is gonna get ya..." :cool:

Ah, I get it. I knew it was a pun, but couldn't figure it out.

From what I've read on this thread, Run Around Sue used to be a Nancy tradition at Comiskey. When did she used to play it? And, didn't the Red Sox have a song that they sang a couple years ago? They didn't copy Run Around Sue, did they?

JohnBasedowYoda
06-23-2005, 02:11 PM
Anyone see the pics of nancy in the sox magazine/program? she was a hot cookie back in the day

Palehose13
06-23-2005, 02:11 PM
Ah, I get it. I knew it was a pun, but couldn't figure it out.

Yeah...she does stuff like that, which makes it quite fun to guess the connection when she is playing.

BTW...did anyone catch her playing the "Chicken Dance" before one of Teahen's at bat? Classic.

*edit: I wish they would put Nancy's greatest hits on CD!!!! It's only on tape and I don't have a cassette deck.

tebman
06-23-2005, 02:20 PM
From what I've read on this thread, Run Around Sue used to be a Nancy tradition at Comiskey. When did she used to play it? And, didn't the Red Sox have a song that they sang a couple years ago? They didn't copy Run Around Sue, did they?
She used to regularly play "Runaround Sue" and/or "The Mickey Mouse Club Theme" ("Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me -- M-I-C-K-E-Y, M-O-U-S-E...") after "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the 7th-inning stretch. In the late 70s when the old park was a-rockin', everybody sang along.

Just a helluva lot of fun. :yup:

StrTrkker
06-23-2005, 02:27 PM
Anyone see the pics of nancy in the sox magazine/program? she was a hot cookie back in the day

Shes still a cutie and a very sweet person.

Hitmen77
06-23-2005, 02:47 PM
She used to regularly play "Runaround Sue" and/or "The Mickey Mouse Club Theme" ("Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me -- M-I-C-K-E-Y, M-O-U-S-E...") after "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the 7th-inning stretch. In the late 70s when the old park was a-rockin', everybody sang along.

Just a helluva lot of fun. :yup:

yes, I remember that! I also remember her playing Classical Gas either during pitching changes or maybe after Take Me Out to the Ball Game. That was alot of fun!

:gallas
"Everyone on this website is WRONG. 95% of Sox fans hated hearing the organist. Sox fans are much more entertained by having a DJ pump loud music through the stadium"

StillMissOzzie
06-23-2005, 03:35 PM

:yup: :thumbsup:

SMO
:gulp:

Fenway
06-23-2005, 04:56 PM
And, didn't the Red Sox have a song that they sang a couple years ago? They didn't copy Run Around Sue, did they?

for reasons that nobody knows for sure Red Sox fans starting singing "Sweet Caroline" during the middle of the 8th inning.

I am surprised nobody posted this column by Mark Brown today
( and I am in Philly :?: this afternoon)

http://images.suntimes.com/images4/columnists/brown2.jpg

Thursday, June 23, 2005 There's still something about 'Hey, Hey, Hey, goodbye' (http://www.suntimes.com/output/brown/cst-nws-brown23.html)
Sox fans beat a path to Nancy Faust's organ Wednesday afternoon, just the way they always have. But this was different, because this was "Nothing But Nancy Day."

U.S. Cellular Field being the domain of world-weary Sox fans, however, there was plenty of conjecture among fans that the tribute was only a prelude to Faust's termination at the end of this season, when her latest contract expires.

Brooks Boyer, Sox veep for marketing and broadcasting, denied this was any sort of swan song.

"We plan on having her back next year unless she feels differently," he said.

Faust, 58, certainly didn't sound as if she is making alternate plans, saying she feels more confident this season about her position than she has in several years.

Realist
06-23-2005, 05:23 PM
I was there and I loved every second of Nothing but Nancy. I looked for ya, Palehose, but I couldn't find ya. :(:

At the very least she should have one day a week just for her. How about Wednesdays all the time? You got yer kids day Sundays, half price Mondays and Tuesdays, dollar dog Thursdays, and fireworks on Saturdays.

Does Nancy like tomatoes? :smile:

Realist
06-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Nancy!:tomatoaward

TornLabrum
06-23-2005, 05:42 PM

I think every red blooded American male Sox fan under the age of 90 had a crush on Nancy back then.

soxfaninnewyork
06-23-2005, 09:48 PM
Nancy has to be one of the most sweetest individuals I know. I stopped by her booth after the game and after meeting countless numbers of people she still took the time to say hi, sign a old '84 White Sox yearbook and chat with me. I can see why she is so beloved by the fans.

Some of my favorites from the day: theme from "Speed Racer" during the pepperoni race, "Living on a Prayer" for KCs last ABs in the 9th, and Looney Tunes "That's All Folks" when a KC player struck out.

You guys are very lucky to have her.:bandance:

mike squires
06-23-2005, 10:38 PM
She looked so damn cute after she threw out that first pitch. I don't care how old she is.

Torn, you've had some damn fine interviews in the past but maybe you could ask us for specific questions to be asked. I would very much be interested in reading an interview in the future.

TornLabrum
06-23-2005, 11:26 PM
She looked so damn cute after she threw out that first pitch. I don't care how old she is.

Torn, you've had some damn fine interviews in the past but maybe you could ask us for specific questions to be asked. I would very much be interested in reading an interview in the future.

Actually it's Lip who has done the interviews in the past here. Maybe that would be a good topic for this weekend while I'm out of town. In fact I think I'll start a thread on that subject. Look for it in a little while.

TornLabrum
06-23-2005, 11:33 PM
Just to give you an idea of the kind of person Nancy is, here are a couple of excerpts from an email she sent me today. I told her my reaction to Jurkovich's comments about her Tuesday. Her response:

"I wouldnt be concerned about those comments. Its just a way of creating controversy by not being sappy or too nice."

A lot milder reaction than I would have had!

For those of you who thought the music was great, she was concerned that she really wasn't able to do her best:

"Everybody was so wonderful today. There was so much activity in the booth that it was difficult to do my best at playing, but i sure enjoyed all the activity."

I sure didn't notice anything less than her best!

santo=dorf
06-23-2005, 11:58 PM
I watched segments on both CSN and CLTV on "Nothing but Nancy Day," and I forget which segment it was on, but it was mentioned how her contract is up this year and she made me smile saying "I always said I want to see a World Series, but if this is the year, I want to see a few more." :D:

mike squires
06-24-2005, 12:40 AM
Actually it's Lip who has done the interviews in the past here. Maybe that would be a good topic for this weekend while I'm out of town. In fact I think I'll start a thread on that subject. Look for it in a little while.

My fault, I knew Lip did most of them but I thought you did a few yourself. I look forward to the interview.

slavko
06-24-2005, 11:32 AM
The deafening DJ music should go away and not come back. You can't carry on a conversation and that's the best part of going to a baseball game. It may not be directly comparable, but Bernie Lincicome once wrote of the music at Bulls games "Have they ever heard of Gershwin?" Of course, in a confined space like United Center, it seems ever louder....

Hitmen77
06-24-2005, 11:45 AM
I sent Brooks Boyer an e-mail today saying how much I liked Nothing But Nancy Day and said that I want more games next season where they only have Nancy play or at least have a greatly diminished amount of the loud DJ at such games.

I got his response in 5 minutes! I have to say that I'm impressed that the head of Sox marketing can make time to be that responsive!

In his response, he said that since he came aboard, they've been trying to find a balance between the organ, canned music and silence. He said he thinks they have a pretty good balance now. So, that might not bode well for more Nancy Days or a toning down of the DJ in the future if I read that response correctly.

TornLabrum
06-24-2005, 12:08 PM
I sent Brooks Boyer an e-mail today saying how much I liked Nothing But Nancy Day and said that I want more games next season where they only have Nancy play or at least have a greatly diminished amount of the loud DJ at such games.

I got his response in 5 minutes! I have to say that I'm impressed that the head of Sox marketing can make time to be that responsive!

In his response, he said that since he came aboard, they've been trying to find a balance between the organ, canned music and silence. He said he thinks they have a pretty good balance now. So, that might not bode well for more Nancy Days or a toning down of the DJ in the future if I read that response correctly.

I think in this day and age of marketing surveys we should consider ourselves lucky that Nancy is getting MORE rather than less playing time than in the Rob Gallas days. Apparently the surveys are turning out differently for Mr. Boyer, though, than they were for Mr. Gallas who concluded from them (apparently) that 95% of the fans who stayed in their seats and didn't visit the booth think she stinks.

Hitmen77
06-24-2005, 12:28 PM
I think in this day and age of marketing surveys we should consider ourselves lucky that Nancy is getting MORE rather than less playing time than in the Rob Gallas days. Apparently the surveys are turning out differently for Mr. Boyer, though, than they were for Mr. Gallas who concluded from them (apparently) that 95% of the fans who stayed in their seats and didn't visit the booth think she stinks.

Do you know how the survery results turned out? Are they showing a desire for more playing time for Nancy?

I just find it hard to believe that, on the one hand a vast majority of Sox fans I know love Nancy, hate the loud canned music, etc. And yet, there is this mysterious group of people out there that are allegedly telling the Sox in surveys that they want loud, canned music. Are they asking only 18 year olds?

Church Turtle
06-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Well I've never visited her booth, but I think she's great. And is there a song in this world that she doesn't know?

TornLabrum
06-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Do you know how the survery results turned out? Are they showing a desire for more playing time for Nancy?

I just find it hard to believe that, on the one hand a vast majority of Sox fans I know love Nancy, hate the loud canned music, etc. And yet, there is this mysterious group of people out there that are allegedly telling the Sox in surveys that they want loud, canned music. Are they asking only 18 year olds?

As far as I know, the Sox have never revealed their survey results. However, you may recall that for years, the Sox indicated that their surveys showed that a) fans were satisfied with new Comiskey Park just the way it was built and b) Sox fans cared more about a great ball park experience than winning.

Ol' No. 2
06-24-2005, 01:21 PM

In his response, he said that since he came aboard, they've been trying to find a balance between the organ, canned music and silence. He said he thinks they have a pretty good balance now. So, that might not bode well for more Nancy Days or a toning down of the DJ in the future if I read that response correctly.I bet Brooks must have spent the better part of Thursday replying to emails about NBN day. I sent him one, too, and got a reply back in under 5 minutes as well. Several other WSI'ers also emailed him. Once the Sox Army gets mobilized, it's a sight to see.

Hitmen77
06-24-2005, 03:41 PM
By the way, I came across this website on MLB organists: http://www.ballparktour.com/Organists.html It includes an article about Nancy. Here's a quote from it's main page:

In 2005, more than half of the major league's 30 ballparks still feature live organists, although only the Cubs still play organ music almost exclusively. In recent years, many organists have seen their playing time reduced in favor of recorded music, however, polls of fans consistantly show that they prefer more organ music and less canned music at the ballpark. That being known it doesn't make much sense to us, but that's the way it seems to be.

shoota
06-24-2005, 06:52 PM
Yeah...she does stuff like that, which makes it quite fun to guess the connection when she is playing.

BTW...did anyone catch her playing the "Chicken Dance" before one of Teahen's at bat? Classic.

*edit: I wish they would put Nancy's greatest hits on CD!!!! It's only on tape and I don't have a cassette deck.

At the Sox/Cubs game at Wrigley earlier this year, I thought it would be Nancy-like to play "The Boys are Back in Town" for Dubois's at bat.