PDA

View Full Version : The AL Playoff Chase

Fenway
06-22-2005, 05:05 PM
As mentioned in the 6/22 postgame thread your Chicago White Sox by simply going .500 the rest of the way will have 95 wins. That number almost assures a playoff spot AT WORST.

The late afternoon of June 22 shows us that the following teams are in the hunt for the 4 spots in the ALDS.

White Sox
Twins
Indians
Orioles
Red Sox
Yankees
Angels
Rangers

Of those 8 only Cleveland appears to be a dark horse.

In the East, Baltimore has not been able to gain any ground on the Red Sox the past month and the Yankees roller coaster ride keeps them very much alive.

The Central...it will be very hard for the White Sox to blow this lead simply because this is a team that will not have a 6-8 game losing streak. The pitching is that good. The Twins right now seem to have the advantage for the wild card.

The West....The Angels of Orange County are starting to pull away from Texas and may coast in.

So who gets in and who plays golf in October will most likely be decided by the division games. As of 5 PM EDT 6/22

Orioles +10 in the division
Red Sox - 1
Yankees - 7
White Sox + 19
Twins + 3
Indians - 6

Right now Boston leads the Twins by 1, Indians and Rangers by 2 1/2 with NYY 3 1/2 behind.

I think the Twins have the advantage schedule wise so it will be a very interesting second half.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-22-2005, 05:09 PM
As mentioned in the 6/22 postgame thread your Chicago White Sox by simply going .500 the rest of the way will have 95 wins. That number almost assures a playoff spot AT WORST.

The late afternoon of June 22 shows us that the following teams are in the hunt for the 4 spots in the ALDS.

White Sox
Twins
Indians
Orioles
Red Sox
Yankees
Angels
Rangers

In the East, Baltimore has not been able to gain any ground on the Red Sox the past month and the Yankees roller coaster ride keeps them very much alive.

The Central...it will be very hard for the White Sox to blow this lead simply because this is a team that will not have a 6-8 game losing streak. The pitching is that good. The Twins right now seem to have the advantage for the wild card.

The West....The Angels of Orange County are starting to pull away from Texas and may coast in.

So who gets in and who plays golf in October will most likely be decided by the division games. As of 5 PM EDT 6/22

Red Sox - 1
Yankees - 7
White Sox + 19
Twins + 3
Indians - 6

Right now Boston leads the Twins by 1, Indians and Rangers by 2 1/2 with NYY 3 1/2 behind.

I think the Twins have the advantage schedule wise so it will be a very interesting second half.

Great info fenway, tyvm. Makes it even easier to see what's transpiring...now, let's see if the mediots can read the same way we do; i.e., reading the FACTS.

White Sox Josh
06-22-2005, 05:11 PM

White Sox
Twins
Indians
Orioles
Red Sox
Yankees
Angels
Rangers

Red Sox - 1
Yankees - 7
White Sox + 19
Twins + 3
Indians - 6

I think the Twins have the advantage schedule wise so it will be a very interesting second half.you should be doing Baseball Tonight because even though you are a red sawx fan, you aren't very biased and you don't slight teams that aren't the Red Sox.

Fenway
06-22-2005, 05:27 PM
With Boston a lot depends on Schilling coming back and the bullpen finding its 2004 form.

I like everybody else who follows baseball can not understand what is going on with the Yankees. At times they look like they will win 20 in a row and then turn around and look like a AA team. The Orioles? Your guess is as good as mine.

Boston has 10 left with New York ( 6 in Boston ) and 10 with Baltimore ( 3 in Boston )

I've been saying for a month only one team from the East will make it.

ChiSoxRowand
06-22-2005, 05:55 PM
With Boston a lot depends on Schilling coming back and the bullpen finding its 2004 form.

I like everybody else who follows baseball can not understand what is going on with the Yankees. At times they look like they will win 20 in a row and then turn around and look like a AA team. The Orioles? Your guess is as good as mine.

Boston has 10 left with New York ( 6 in Boston ) and 10 with Baltimore ( 3 in Boston )

I've been saying for a month only one team from the East will make it.

I think that when its all said and done the Red Sox will win the east. They will add a reliever(or two) before the deadline. The Orioles have a good shot, but they really need Erik Bedard back. Javy Lopez is also hurt(how long is he out?) and Melvin Mora tweaked his hamstring yesterday. The Yankkes are just a wierd team. They win six in a row but lose 2 out of 3 to Tampa. I don't think the Yankees have the pitching to get it done, they will not be in the playoffs.

Fenway
06-22-2005, 06:14 PM
some observations from around baseball

from http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:gKopBJpUlE8J:www.scanboston.com/weei.gif (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.scanboston.com/weei.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.scanboston.com/marathon.htm&h=82&w=180&sz=29&tbnid=gKopBJpUlE8J:&tbnh=43&tbnw=96&hl=en&start=65&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dweei%26start%3D60%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%2 6sa%3DN)
June 22, 2005 - Jerry Remy (http://eod.liquidviewer.com/weei-od/RemyReport--6-22-05.wma)
June 22, 2005 - Terry Francona - Red Sox Manager (http://eod.liquidviewer.com/weei-od/062205Francona.wma)
June 21, 2005 - Eric Wedge - Indians Manager (http://eod.liquidviewer.com/weei-od/062105EricWedge.wma)
June 21, 2005 - Curt Schilling - Red Sox Pitcher (http://eod.liquidviewer.com/weei-od/Schilling--6-21-05.wma)

Tragg
06-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Not to get too overconfident, but as a Sox fan, my eye is on Baltimore. I want them making the playoffs so that we can play them (one caveat- they can't win the division and have the 2nd to best record). I want Boston and Anaheim to battle it out in round 1, and let us take on the Orioles.

I called the Twins a pu$$y team a few weaks ago, and they are living up to my expectations. Their folding like my hands last night on poker-stars.

Tragg
06-22-2005, 11:21 PM
you should be doing Baseball Tonight because even though you are a red sawx fan, you aren't very biased and you don't slight teams that aren't the Red Sox.

No bias except for this: " I think the Twins have the advantage schedule wise so it will be a very interesting second half."
Considering that the Central is the best division in baseball (by far) and that the Twins have 13 or so games against the best team in baseball, I doubt they have much, if any, schedule advantage.

hose
06-23-2005, 08:55 AM
No bias except for this: " I think the Twins have the advantage schedule wise so it will be a very interesting second half."
Considering that the Central is the best division in baseball (by far) and that the Twins have 13 or so games against the best team in baseball, I doubt they have much, if any, schedule advantage.

The Twins are going to have their hands full with not only the Sox , but the Tigers and Indians as well.

This isn't 2003 when the Twins steam rolled over the Indians, Tigers and Royals after the All-Star break. This years Royals are the only push over in the AL Central.

spawn
06-23-2005, 09:35 AM
The Twins are going to have their hands full with not only the Sox , but the Tigers and Indians as well.

This isn't 2003 when the Twins steam rolled over the Indians, Tigers and Royals after the All-Star break. This years Royals are the only push over in the AL Central.

Good call...The Twins mystique is gone. I don't think anyone in the Central fears them, not even the Royals. I also think they underestimated the losses of Guzman and Koskie. They've slowly but surely lost key players during their AL Central run over the years, while every other team in the Central (with the exception, of course, of the Royals) have improved. What made them so good over the years (pitching and defense) just hasn't been there for them this year. They are still a good team, just not what they one were.

34 Inch Stick
06-23-2005, 09:52 AM
The Orioles and Yankees pitching problems are going to catch up with them in the second half. The Tigers, Indians and Twins are going to have to battle it out with each other in the second half and probably will not be able to make a big run (same with Orioles, Yankees and Red Sox).

I think the team with the easy division and the ability to go on a late season run is the Rangers, and they will be the wild card.

elrod
06-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Good call...The Twins mystique is gone. I don't think anyone in the Central fears them, not even the Royals. I also think they underestimated the losses of Guzman and Koskie. They've slowly but surely lost key players during their AL Central run over the years, while every other team in the Central (with the exception, of course, of the Royals) have improved. What made them so good over the years (pitching and defense) just hasn't been there for them this year. They are still a good team, just not what they one were.

Have you seen Guzman's numbers this year? Awful. Cuddyer has been trouble for the Twins and Punto's injuries don't help but Guzman is not what they need.

Fenway
06-23-2005, 03:40 PM

I give the Twins the advantage simply because Tampa Bay ( even though it has the same record as KC) seems to bite the eastern leaders more than the Royals do the Twins and WS.

The Red Sox are showing signs of waking up and if that is the case I do believe they will win the east. IF that is the case it will be interesting to see how the Yankees respond.

maurice
06-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Tampa Bay ( even though it has the same record as KC) seems to bite the eastern leaders more than the Royals do the Twins and WS.

Apparently, KC also bites the Yankees more than it bites the Sox and twinks.

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2005, 07:05 PM
One thing that bugs me is when people on the radio claim that "the Twins aren't going away" when discussing the divisional race.

Ummm, they trail us by 9.5 games...It's not close even remotely close. You can say that when they get to within 4 or so games; but, until then, the Sox have nothing to worry about!

Fenway
06-25-2005, 03:41 PM
The great thing for the White Sox right now is they have a 7 game lead on the entire league and if they keep playing the way they have been will not have to worry too much in the second half.

The Orange County Angels have taken command of the AL West so the real fun will be the AL East and where the Twins fit in that. I honestly thought the Wild Card would not come from the East but now I am not that sure.

Boston is starting to look like the team of last August and with Schilling due back after the break will only get tougher. Baltimore? They maybe like KC of 2003 but we will see.

The Twins? They can not afford to lose to the Tigers and the Brewers if they want to keep pace.

The 210 Million Dollar question is NYY. With that lineup they COULD go 60-30 the rest of the way....but they could also go 50-40.

New York will be the story of the second half no matter what they do.

(gee it's nice to be back in first, I really believe the Sox and the Sox will meet in the ALCS )

http://news.bostonherald.com/galleries/images/631927_frontpage.jpg

Fenway
06-30-2005, 06:12 PM
Nice to see Texas FINALLY win a couple from Anaheim. I am not sure they can recover from the past 10 days. Angels pretty much locked up the West though Texas did keep the coffin from being nailed by winning the last 2.

but

Those of you touting Texas as the Wild Card? Oakland has risen from the ashes and now they are only 6 behind in the Wild Card hunt and are leading again this afternoon. So the A's could be on a 7 game win streak when Chicago visits this weekend.

But if Beane thinks he has a chance for the Wild Card, then Zito isn't going anywhere.

Fenway
07-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Consider yourself lucky White Sox fans you don't have to worry about the Wild Card and at the halfway mark it is impossible to project.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/standings?type=wild&br=5&year=2005&column=gamesBehind&order=false&st=2

Oakland has come back from the dead so you can't rule them out anymore. ( though I suspect Oakland is the LAST team the White Sox want to see in the ALDS )

The Wild Card really does save the second half for so many teams.

These second set of numbers really bring home how well the South Siders have done so far
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/standings?type=vsdiv&br=5&year=2005&column=gamesBehind&order=false&st=2

TwinsFanLeft4Dead
07-07-2005, 03:22 AM
I find it hard to belive that all you people (not all of you) are just giving up on my 3 year AL central Champs the Twins. We have the best farm system in baseball in my opinion and I strongly disagree that "nobody in the central fears them anymore" Thats BS. The Twins are gonna make that WildCard spot. We kick butt after the All-Star Break and all of you know it. Every year we come out firing after the break and we will do so again. Im not saying we can make up 9.5 games on the White Sox. 9.5 games is alot. But i really think we will make the playoffs and then who knows. Anything can happen from there.

maurice
07-07-2005, 12:33 PM
i really think we will make the playoffs and then who knows. Anything can happen from there.

The twinks have an excellent chance to make the playoffs, but they've got some stiff competition for that WC spot. If recent history is any indication, they'll quickly get eliminated in the playoffs by a superior AL team.

The Dude
07-07-2005, 12:39 PM
I find it hard to belive that all you people (not all of you) are just giving up on my 3 year AL central Champs the Twins. We have the best farm system in baseball in my opinion and I strongly disagree that "nobody in the central fears them anymore" Thats BS. The Twins are gonna make that WildCard spot. We kick butt after the All-Star Break and all of you know it. Every year we come out firing after the break and we will do so again. Im not saying we can make up 9.5 games on the White Sox. 9.5 games is alot. But i really think we will make the playoffs and then who knows. Anything can happen from there.

I will continue to count the twins as contenders thoughout the season(Indians as well), because they are never done until the X mark is there for clinching a spot. I think the majority of us here think that the Twins will not catch the Sox, but have a damn good shot at the wild card.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-07-2005, 12:51 PM
The Twins are gonna make that WildCard spot. We kick butt after the All-Star Break and all of you know it....

The mere fact you are making such a claim on July 7 indicates two irrefutable facts:

1.) You're desperate, and
2.) You don't know what the **** you are talking about.

Any team hanging their hopes on the final wild card playoff spot with nearly 3 full months of baseball left to be played is strictly smoking crack. We usually reserve this tag for Flub fans, but your post qualifies, too.

:bluerock

It's July. The Twins DO NOT LEAD for the wild card. It's wishful thinking to expect the Sox, Boston, and Anaheim wouldn't get the wild card BEFORE the Twins. You assume none of these teams will fall from first place which of course is BULL**** because the whole point of playing the entire SECOND-HALF of a 162-game season is to prove these teams worthy of a division championship -- something you've already conceded in the Central to the Sox... and there are still 79 games left to be played.
:roflmao:

Meanwhile other teams with sincere playoff aspirations beyond merely a wild card (teams like Baltimore, NYY, Texas, Toronto, and surging Oakland) have a double-shot at making the playoffs. Meanwhile the Twins have just one bullet left.

Oh, and then there is the pesky reality that Minnesota has problems beating Cleveland and Detroit, two teams you have the misfortune of having to still play a couple dozen more times this season. In fact Cleveland could easily pass you before the all-star break. What a dope...

Oh yeah, you're a lock for the wild card. Pass the bong, pal.

:bong:

Go back to calculating the Minnesota Vikings' chances for the wild card. The math works a lot better for them than the Twins.

dcb33
07-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Oh, and then there is the pesky reality that Minnesota has problems beating Cleveland and Detroit, two teams you have the misfortune of having to still play a couple dozen more times this season. In fact Cleveland could easily pass you before the all-star break. What a dope...

It's also worth mentioning that the Indians will be able to fatten up on the creampuffs of the League in the 2nd half as 31 of their 74 games after the ASB are against Tampa Bay, Kansas City, and Seattle. The Twins are going to have to put together a pretty sizable run in the 2nd half just to keep pace with the schedule-handicapped Indians, let alone beat out 2-4 other teams for the Wild Card.

Fenway
07-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Baltimore is reeling so the great unknown is how will the Yankees play in the second half. Boston should lead by 10 but they don't, NYY very much alive.

The WC will be a war

Flight #24
07-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Baltimore is reeling so the great unknown is how will the Yankees play in the second half. Boston should lead by 10 but they don't, NYY very much alive.

The WC will be a war

Highly undermentioned by most is that the Spankees, despite playing like feces through most of the first half, are only 3 games out of the WC. Anyone who thinks that the Twins will make more or bigger moves/acquisitions please put down the bong. There's a ton of talent on that team, and I can easily see Big George saying "I'll take on Durham, Alfonzo, and any other bad contract SF wants to send as long as I get Jason Schmidt for Robinson Cano and Eric Duncan".

Yanks can play a ton better than they have, and they're not that far out. Twins can't play that much better than they have so far. Yes, the schedule favors them but they're going to need every bit of advantage they can get to hold off the Spankees.

mccoydp
07-07-2005, 03:29 PM

Dude, I've asked this before, and I'll ask it again: why do you bother posting on this site? Is there a "totally biased" Twinkie site? You should check it out.

ma-gaga
07-08-2005, 12:18 PM
1.) You're desperate
It's July. The Twins DO NOT LEAD for the wild card.

I'll admit it, I'm desperate. :cool:

The Twins are playing about where they were the last 3 years, and they always seem to stumble into the all-star break and kick ass in the second half of the year... And that is my "desperation" argument that I cling to. But if the season ended today, they would be in the playoffs by a game over the Indians. Yep, I'll concede the Twins have no shot at the AL Central title. A collapse of historic proportions would have to occur, and I just don't see it [tears up all pre-season predictions]. And I'm convieniently ignoring the strength of schedule that favors the Indians by 4-5 games over the Twins.

I don't know about TF4L, but I'm totally jumping on board the 'wild-card bandwagon'. And I am preparing the '4 of the last 6 champions all were wild-card winners' excuses crap that second place teams make.

Most importantly, I'm drinking a lot more. Makes losing to the Royals go by a little easier. :gulp:

Ol' No. 2
07-08-2005, 01:33 PM
I'll admit it, I'm desperate. :cool:

The Twins are playing about where they were the last 3 years, and they always seem to stumble into the all-star break and kick ass in the second half of the year... And that is my "desperation" argument that I cling to. But if the season ended today, they would be in the playoffs by a game over the Indians. Yep, I'll concede the Twins have no shot at the AL Central title. A collapse of historic proportions would have to occur, and I just don't see it [tears up all pre-season predictions]. And I'm convieniently ignoring the strength of schedule that favors the Indians by 4-5 games over the Twins.

I don't know about TF4L, but I'm totally jumping on board the 'wild-card bandwagon'. And I am preparing the '4 of the last 6 champions all were wild-card winners' excuses crap that second place teams make.

Most importantly, I'm drinking a lot more. Makes losing to the Royals go by a little easier. :gulp:I've said it before and I'll say it again. Stick a fork in the Twins. They had a great second half last year because Santana got white-hot. If you're counting on lightening striking twice, you're going to be disappointed. The year before they were going nowhere until they got Stewart. But there's nothing on the horizon this year. They don't have the payroll flexibility to add someone significant, so they're going to have to go with what they've got. They've brought up their best talent from the minors. I give Cleveland a better than 50-50 chance of finishing second. The Twins won't be heard from again for at least 5 years while they rebuild.

patbooyah
07-08-2005, 01:44 PM
The mere fact you are making such a claim on July 7 indicates two irrefutable facts:

1.) You're desperate, and
2.) You don't know what the **** you are talking about.

PHG- don't forget that this is the guy who promised us the twins would take 2 of 3 from the angels. his predictions mean very little to me.

ma-gaga
07-08-2005, 01:55 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Yep. You keep repeating it over and over and over.

Who on earth are you trying to convince?

:cool:

WhiteSoxFan84
07-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Good call...The Twins mystique is gone.

That's because after Juan Rincon got caught up, the rest of the team had to lay low on the roids. Anyone else questioning Johan Santana's magical 2-year run?

TwinsFanLeft4Dead
07-08-2005, 03:48 PM
NO! Leave Santana out of this conversation! He's the greatest! Leave him alone!

White Sox Josh
07-08-2005, 03:52 PM
NO! Leave Santana out of this conversation! He's the greatest! Leave him alone!:burly
"Um who is Johan Santana? Does he have a 2.58 ERA right now?"

ilsox7
07-08-2005, 03:53 PM
That's because after Juan Rincon got caught up, the rest of the team had to lay low on the roids. Anyone else questioning Johan Santana's magical 2-year run?

Was it even a 2 year run? If I recall, he got rocked the first half of last season, then was unhittable over the last 3 months and the first 6 weeks of this season. I think it has more to do with him relying on a change-up, which is difficult to remain consistent with given the reliance on good arm action and a perfect release point.

White Sox Josh
07-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Was it even a 2 year run? If I recall, he got rocked the first half of last season, then was unhittable over the last 3 months and the first 6 weeks of this season. I think it has more to do with him relying on a change-up, which is difficult to remain consistent with given the reliance on good arm action and a perfect release point.Yeah the Sox beat him up badly in Minny during may of last year. I think they scored like 10 runs off of him.

Fenway
07-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Phil Rogers looks at the second half

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-050713mlb,1,6174089.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

Playoff locks

(Teams are listed in the order of their relative strength)

St. Louis: Until further notice, consider the National League the Cardinals and 15 overmatched sparring partners. Tony La Russa's powerhouse broke to an 11˝—game lead over Houston despite injuries to Scott Rolen and Larry Walker, as well as an inconsistent performance by Mark Mulder (10-5, 4.34). The second-half schedule is daunting—two West Coast trips, road series in Atlanta, Florida and Washington, in addition to the emotional 14 games with the Cubs—so the Cardinals likely will slow down a little, winning 96 games, not 106.

White Sox: Closer Dustin Hermanson and Jon Garland, who won 13 games from the No. 5 spot, are difference-makers on a pitching staff that no longer takes a back seat to the one in Minnesota. The Sox have the AL's best combination of speed and power (first in stolen bases, fourth in home runs) and have become more dangerous since Frank Thomas rejoined the team. They haven't played Boston or the Yankees yet and have 12 games left against Minnesota, but the depth of the pitching staff makes a collapse unlikely.

Los Angeles Angels: Like the White Sox, the Angels are balanced. They also have a manager (Mike Scioscia) and many veteran players who ran the table three years ago. The biggest surprise is the turnaround of a rotation that let the team down a year ago. Bartolo Colon, Jarrod Washburn and newcomer Paul Byrd are giving the Angels a trio that has been almost as good as Garland, Mark Buehrle and Freddy Garcia. While Oakland has surged, it appears the Angels have a clear path to the playoffs.

The team that still scares me

http://www.nydailynews.com/images/heads/sports0714.jpg

maurice
07-14-2005, 05:19 PM
I saw that. I love the way he groups the cubs (sub-.500 record; 6th place in WC) with the Jndjans (6-games over; T-3rd place in WC).

Fenway
08-01-2005, 01:07 PM
With 8 weeks to go it would seem that the dynamic has changed

The big question is......will the second place team in the East have a better record than the second place team in the west??????

The Twins are done

Anaheim maybe in big trouble as they blew 2 games in NY while Oakland keeps winning....

What does this mean for the White Sox?

Assuming Chicago finishes with best record the first round series would be with the wild card team. Right now that could be Boston, New York, Oakland or Anaheim.

My gut feeling is the AL East will come down to the last three games @ Fenway with the Yankees.

Oakland right now scares me.

Lip Man 1
08-01-2005, 01:22 PM
I am now officially rooting for Oakland to win the West. I'd rather have my toe nails pulled out then face those SOB's in the first round. Anaheim is no picnic but at least the Sox have won more games against them both home and road since 2001, then they have against Oakland.

That's good enough for me.

Lip

Fenway
08-01-2005, 01:37 PM
I am now officially rooting for Oakland to win the West. I'd rather have my toe nails pulled out then face those SOB's in the first round. Anaheim is no picnic but at least the Sox have won more games against them both home and road since 2001, then they have against Oakland.

That's good enough for me.

Lip

another factor Oakland is way overdue to win in the first round.

Fenway
08-05-2005, 03:50 PM
August 5th

The Indians really hurt themselves last night when the Yankees came back in the 9th to salvage one game at the Jake. This makes 4 games the Yankees have come back in the 9th THIS WEEK. They will not go away quietly.

Mike Lupica wonders which NYY team will show up the l;ast 2 months.

Wonder if they will ever
get a 2nd look at 1st
Mike Lupica: Two weeks ago, the Yankees were in first place, for the second time this season. They had just won 3-of-4 against the Red Sox. Even though they had a pitching staff that seemed to have been assembled off eBay, enough people seemed to think they were going to outscore their way back to the title of the AL East.
FULL STORY (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/334673p-285939c.html)

gobears1987
08-05-2005, 03:58 PM
August 5th

The Indians really hurt themselves last night when the Yankees came back in the 9th to salvage one game at the Jake. This makes 4 games the Yankees have come back in the 9th THIS WEEK. They will not go away quietly.

Mike Lupica wonders which NYY team will show up the l;ast 2 months.

Wonder if they will ever
get a 2nd look at 1st
Mike Lupica: Two weeks ago, the Yankees were in first place, for the second time this season. They had just won 3-of-4 against the Red Sox. Even though they had a pitching staff that seemed to have been assembled off eBay, enough people seemed to think they were going to outscore their way back to the title of the AL East.
FULL STORY (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/334673p-285939c.html)
I'd rather face the YankMEs than the A's.

chisoxfanatic
08-05-2005, 04:49 PM
I'd rather face the YankMEs than the A's.

I would too. I'd rather face the Yankees, Red Sox, or Angels. If there is one team I do NOT want to face, it's Oakland! They've flat-out OWNED us for a long time now. We've actually played better than decent against the other teams recently. The team that scares me the most are the A's...Please win the AL West, Oakland! Boston does very well against the A's, so maybe they can knock the A's out in the first round, while we knock the Angels out. And then, we can have a Palehose/Carmines ALCS, which would flat out rock!

Ol' No. 2
08-05-2005, 04:51 PM
I'd rather face the YankMEs than the A's.Be careful what you wish for. The playoff Yankees will not resemble the regular season Yankees.

MIgrenade
08-05-2005, 05:16 PM
another factor Oakland is way overdue to win in the first round.

So are the White Sox.

Foulke You
08-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Be careful what you wish for. The playoff Yankees will not resemble the regular season Yankees.
True, but if the playoff A's resemble the regular season A's against us, I'll take my chances with the playoff Yankees and their vulnerable pitching staff.

However, I'm not sold in the A's being a lock for the playoffs. They were playing pretty awful in the 1st half and have ridden an amazing hot streak back into contention. One bad stretch, and they could be right back where they were. They will have to continue playing .700 ball the rest of the way in order to make the playoffs. Not impossible, but I still think the Angels and Yankees will outlast them.

Arkham
08-05-2005, 09:11 PM
A couple weeks can be chalked up to a "hot streak". A couple months is more accurately known as "a third the whole freakin' season".

And they don't need to keep playing .700 ball unless the Angels play at the same level. As of this point, they need to play 2 games better than the Los Anaheim Angels of Angeles do.

Rooney4Prez56
08-05-2005, 09:37 PM
True, but if the playoff A's resemble the regular season A's against us, I'll take my chances with the playoff Yankees and their vulnerable pitching staff.

I second that. But the Yankees aren't going anywhere. They dont have it this season.

Fenway
08-08-2005, 02:16 PM
You know Cleveland could steal the Wild Card....they have TEN left with the AA team in KC.

These last 2 months are going to be insane.

Steakpita
08-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Go Blue Jays!

Fenway
09-07-2005, 10:22 AM
You know Cleveland could steal the Wild Card....they have TEN left with the AA team in KC.

These last 2 months are going to be insane.

I wrote this a month ago and surprise, surprise look who is only 1/2 out of the Wild Card with 24 games to go
Cleveland (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/page/CLE)77 61 .558 ˝

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/standings/wildcard

looking at the schedule you have to like where the Indians sit

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/schedule/CLE
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/schedule/NYY
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/schedule/OAK
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/schedule/LAA

If the Indians do win it, then this weekend maybe a preview of the ALDS for the White Sox

mikehuff
09-07-2005, 10:32 AM
I wrote this a month ago and surprise, surprise look who is only 1/2 out of the Wild Card with 24 games to go

If the Indians do win it, then this weekend maybe a preview of the ALDS for the White Sox
Oh that Oakland schedule makes me feel much better.

longshot7
09-07-2005, 12:13 PM
one of the interesting things about the Red Sox that I heard last nite during the Angels game is that Boston is 11-40 if they score 4 or less runs. If our Sox meet them in the ALCS, our pitching has to come up big. So if our pitchers perform like we know they can, we have a chance. The Red Sox can't hang with our pitching, but man, can they mash.

The Dude
09-07-2005, 01:16 PM

Maybe the Yankees will overtake the Red Flubs and Cleveland will win the wild card so we can hear some more whiny trolling from our beloved :dtroll: Fenway.

SOXintheBURGH
09-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Maybe the Yankees will overtake the Red Flubs and Cleveland will win the wild card so we can hear some more whiny trolling from our beloved :dtroll: Fenway.

No Cubs in the playoffs this year, Blue or Red.

Fenway
09-14-2005, 10:32 AM
The Red Sox this morning wake up and finally see they could be in big trouble. The Yankees now are 2 1/2 back and Cleveland is only 1 1/2 behind Boston and closing fast.

The Foulke rehab has been a disaster ( you just knew when he was being hit hard in SS-A this wasn't going well ) and they can no longer afford to let him find his way ( if he can )

If the Yankees can make the last 3 at Boston mean anything they can take comfort that the last time at Fenway they took 3 of 4.

More and more it looking like the Indians just may get the WC so suddenly you have very nervous fans of both the Yankees and Red Sox. :?:

longshot7
09-14-2005, 01:09 PM
The Red Sox this morning wake up and finally see they could be in big trouble. The Yankees now are 2 1/2 back and Cleveland is only 1 1/2 behind Boston and closing fast.

The Foulke rehab has been a disaster ( you just knew when he was being hit hard in SS-A this wasn't going well ) and they can no longer afford to let him find his way ( if he can )

If the Yankees can make the last 3 at Boston mean anything they can take comfort that the last time at Fenway they took 3 of 4.

More and more it looking like the Indians just may get the WC so suddenly you have very nervous fans of both the Yankees and Red Sox. :?:

Is it time to move Schilling back into the closer's role?

Fenway
09-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Is it time to move Schilling back into the closer's role?

Francona going by seat of his pants and the bullpen troops not happy

New pecking order ruffles feathers (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/09/14/new_pecking_order_ruffles_feathers)

TORONTO -- Given the level of radioactivity all season, it's hard to imagine the Red Sox bullpen could become even more unstable at this stage of the season. But Terry Francona's decision to use his closer, Mike Timlin, in the seventh inning Monday night came as a surprise to Timlin and was upsetting to Timlin's fellow relievers, according to lefthander Mike Myers.

''There was a lot of scratching of heads down there," Myers said before last night's 9-3 loss to the Blue Jays, which cut the Sox' lead over the Yankees to 2 1/2 games in the AL East. ''No one had any pre-warning of what was going on. They've got three lefties in a row coming up and I don't get up. You put [Keith] Foulke in there, then you bring in Timlin, who hasn't seen the seventh inning in a long time without letting him know early on that you're going to do this?

''I know they've said before that they would bring him in any time, but there were times where they could have done it and they didn't, and all of a sudden now you do? Everybody was shocked down there, trying to figure out what was going on.

''With Mike doing well in the ninth inning, and having [Jonathan] Papelbon down there to set up, it was very shocking for everybody."

Another distressing outing by Foulke last night -- an excruciating seventh inning in which he threw just 11 of 27 pitches for strikes -- offered further evidence that he will not be the man to bring order to the most unsettled corner of the Sox universe.

cheeses_h_rice
09-14-2005, 02:17 PM

That's a real shame.

longshot7
09-14-2005, 02:24 PM
I have to confess that chaos in the Red Sox clubhouse makes me very happy. Chemistry carried that team last year and without it, there a little less scary. A little.

Jurr
09-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Two from the central seems like a bona fide lock as of now. The Yankees and the Red Sox do have some problems. Hell, how many more games can the Red Sox depend on David Ortiz to bail them out? It's getting awfully redundant, and I don't know how long that is going to last.

Matt Clement, by far the most consistent guy on that staff, got rocked by Toronto. It could get very tight very soon. Damn, this is a fun season. It's going to get really nasty near the end of the year!:supernana:

OEO Magglio
09-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Two from the central seems like a bona fide lock as of now.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. The Indians are far from a lock.

Jurr
09-14-2005, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't be so sure of that. The Indians are far from a lock.
I'm glad I'm not much of a betting man, 'cause I'd bet a lot on it.

Fenway
09-15-2005, 10:15 AM
The Indians schedule the rest of the way makes them look like a very nice wager right now

16 left
Kansas City 7 (7-5)
Tampa Bay 3 (3-4)
White Sox 6 (3-10)

Last night Gabe Kapler was injured when he ruptured his Achilles tendon rounding second on a home run by Graffanino. Kapler could not continue around the bases and it took the umpires 5 minutes to figure out what to do.

Finally they cited
Official Rules of Major League Baseball 5.10 (c), which reads: ''When an accident incapacitates a player or an umpire:
(1) If an accident to a runner is such as to prevent him from proceeding to a base to which he is entitled, as on a home run hit out of the playing field . . . a substitute runner shall be permitted to complete the play."

horrible injury that may be the end of his career

longshot7
09-15-2005, 01:44 PM
So I guess the question on that play is --

If a pinch-runner is used in emergency (like in Kapler's case), does the pinch-runner have to come out of the game or can he be used later?

Fenway
09-15-2005, 01:51 PM
So I guess the question on that play is --

If a pinch-runner is used in emergency (like in Kapler's case), does the pinch-runner have to come out of the game or can he be used later?

he batted in Kapler's spot

NOW the fun would have started if Graffanino has passed Kapler on the ground.

Marty Springstead, one of the director of umpires who was in the press box said he been around since the 60's and never saw this happen before.

Paulwny
09-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Kapler could not continue around the bases and it took the umpires 5 minutes to figure out what to do.

One of the Jays' announcers mentioned that it appeared that Kapler ~ was telling Francona that he wanted to finish the trip to home plate. ( Lip reading?)
Both Jay's announcers immediately knew about the "pinch runner" rule.

Fenway
09-15-2005, 02:05 PM
One of the Jays' announcers mentioned that it appeared that Kapler ~ was telling Francona that he wanted to finish the trip to home plate. ( Lip reading?)
Both Jay's announcers immediately knew about the "pinch runner" rule.

The mood at Skydome was somber as it appears Tom Cheek their radio voice since 1977 is near death now suffering from cancer. They held his chair open all season hoping he could come back...but :(:

http://www.canadianbaseballnews.com/TomCheek/04TomCheek2zm.jpg

Paulwny
09-15-2005, 02:16 PM
The mood at Skydome was somber as it appears Tom Cheek their radio voice since 1977 is near death now suffering from cancer. They held his chair open all season hoping he could come back...but :(:

http://www.canadianbaseballnews.com/TomCheek/04TomCheek2zm.jpg

I knew he had health issues, but I didn't realize it was this serious.

Fenway
09-15-2005, 02:54 PM
I knew he had health issues, but I didn't realize it was this serious.

He is a great announcer it will be a big loss for Jays fans

speaking of Toronto, a writer for the Toronto Star pegs David Wells
Wells is an aging mercenary with no loyalties. When Boomer was jobless (again) in the winter, he saw a clubhouse full of "idiots,'' loose, funny and relaxed. He thought that he would fit in. He was wrong. He fits in like Shecky Green opening for Dave Chappelle on BET. It's a different generation of idiot.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1126735811989&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home

Say what you want for the wild card setup but here we are with 2 1/2 weeks left and in the AL still alive

Boston, Yankees, White Sox, Indians, Oakland and Anaheim and nothing is certain

Gammons just added that the NL Wild Card may well win it all. Atlanta doesn't really have the pitching ( last in K's ) St Louis still feeds on the bottom of the Central and San Diego is going nowhere

Houston , Florida or Philadelphia he likes.

mccoydp
09-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Always watch out for Florida; they're no joke. Two WS wins in the last ten years alone.

longshot7
09-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Gammons just added that the NL Wild Card may well win it all. Atlanta doesn't really have the pitching ( last in K's ) St Louis still feeds on the bottom of the Central and San Diego is going nowhere

Houston , Florida or Philadelphia he likes.

the WildCard will have momentum, but I can't see anyone getting past the Cards.

Brewski
09-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Kapler: Weight training without stretching properly gets you so tight your tendons tear apart. I hope this is all that's involved. (Trotting around the bases for cryeye.)

Fenway
09-27-2005, 03:18 PM
If Boston holds on this afternoon we then have a 3 way tie with NYY, Cleveland and Boston all 2 behind White Sox.

I figure Chicago needs to get to 97 wins. The one big thing in the White Sox favor is either Boston or New York HAS to lose at least 2 games.

BUT

as of now we can not rule out a 4 way tie come Sunday night :?:

Hangar18
09-27-2005, 03:38 PM
If Boston holds on this afternoon we then have a 3 way tie with NYY, Cleveland and Boston all 2 behind White Sox.

I figure Chicago needs to get to 97 wins. The one big thing in the White Sox favor is either Boston or New York HAS to lose at least 2 games.

BUT

as of now we can not rule out a 4 way tie come Sunday night :?:

This was mentioned on ESPN as being a possibility, if the SOX lost last nite to
the Tigers (which they did) Saying it could be a logistical nitemare, with a couple of pre-playoff games before the playoffs start ..........

Lip Man 1
09-27-2005, 03:45 PM
Well Boston won game #1. Amazing.....none of the friggin' teams competing with the Sox seem to lose...Boston beats the patsies, New York beats the patsies, Cleveland beats the patsies.

They aren't giving the Sox squat.

Lip

Law11
09-27-2005, 03:50 PM
Here's hoping Toronto can catch lighting in a bottle and get to Schilling early and get into that pen.

Never thought I'd say it but I just wanna get in at this point. The Division would be awsome but the stress is becoming non-stop.

itsnotrequired
09-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Well Boston won game #1. Amazing.....none of the friggin' teams competing with the Sox seem to lose...Boston beats the patsies, New York beats the patsies, Cleveland beats the patsies.

Lip

Sox still control their own destiny but man, a little help would sure be appreciated.

Ol' No. 2
09-27-2005, 06:53 PM

LipDidn't the Tribe just lay a big egg in KC?:?:

The Devil Dogs have been running rampant on teams playoff hopes, taking one from LAAAA, 2 from Boston and 2 from the Yankees this month. But who's counting?

The Dude
09-27-2005, 08:19 PM
Elarton gives up a three run jack! 4-0 Rays

illini81887
09-27-2005, 08:46 PM
5-0 Rays!!