PDA

View Full Version : Rooney anf Farmer tell it like it is

Stroker Ace
06-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Was listening to the radio broadcast and Rooney and Farmer were commenting on the lack of coverage of the Sox on "The Network". Rooney said it best when he said that if it isn't it New York or Boston, they just don't care.

Stroker Ace
06-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Sorry about the thread title misspelling.

Orta 4-6-3
06-22-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm glad they brought up what has been the subject of many a thread at WSI; although I doubt they would have said that prior to last week.

fusillirob1983
06-22-2005, 04:52 PM
I heard them say this too, how true.

harwar
06-22-2005, 05:07 PM
It will be interesting to see how far espn takes it.
If the White Sox beat out the yankees & red sox,do they just start their 24 hour nfl coverage?

Lip Man 1
06-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Read the Tribune blog site. There is a long piece on the comments. And the Tribune doesn't pain a flattering picture of the four letter network.

Lip

kcsportscaster
06-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Kudos to Rooney and Farmer for calling out the four letter network for their anti-Sox/pro-Yankees and Red Sox bias!!!! Even today, those buffoons led with the Yankees "classic" comeback over the Devil Rays then went to highlights of today's game before Brian Kenny asked Peter Gammons "burning questions" about Randy Johnson and whether or not the Yankees and the Red Sox can both make the playoffs. ***???? Chris McKendry finally stumbled upon highlights of another Mark Buehrle masterpiece more than five minutes into the show WHEN THE SOX' 5-1 WIN TO PUT THEM AT 49-22, MERELY THE BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL, INCREASING THEIR LEAD OVER THE TWINS TO 9 1/2 GAMES, SHOULD HAVE LED THE SHOW!!!!:angry:

Don't even get me started on freakin' Brantley reluctantly flip-flopping, saying the Sox starting rotation has the best ERA in baseball, only to make his "Freddy Guzman" gaffe!!!! Is that dope now under orders to can his anti-Sox/Ozzie junk, and is he also being fed comments by the suits????

I could also go into all of the legitimate talent the four letter network has lost in the past decade to CBS, Fox, and NBC, not including ABC because they are, obviously, under the same Disney corporate umbrella as ESPN, but that would take an entirely new thread to get into that.

ESPN SUCKS!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Stroker Ace
06-23-2005, 01:21 PM
"The Network" has to fire the morons that are on BBTN and sportscenter.. How can they claim that a failed Mets GM is a baseball expert? It seems that if you are in any way connected to the world of sports, they will give you a job.

PatK
06-23-2005, 02:09 PM
Farmio also called out Harry Tinynuts yesterday, which was pretty funny.

After Mac played tape of Farmio and Ed's rant (basically agreeing with them), Harry tried to pile on and say it's a shame how they are ignored.

Farmio called in and then asked Harry why he gave the Sox only 1 minute of the sportscast compared to 5 for the Cubs (and making it the last story) when he sat in on WGN sports in the morning.

32nd&Wallace
06-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Read the Tribune blog site. There is a long piece on the comments. And the Tribune doesn't pain a flattering picture of the four letter network.

LipLink?

JohnBasedowYoda
06-23-2005, 02:15 PM
another reason why rooney and farmer are great. i love it when the farm calls up mjh and gets all rowdie

Lip Man 1
06-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Here ya go...it's from Tuesday. (and no this isn't the entire column)

Rahula Strohl at 10:40 a.m.
Bias watch: White Sox radio broadcasters John Rooney and Ed Farmer were abusing the national media for their coverage of the "hot" Yankees (36-33) and "good" Cardinals (45-24) while paying only lip service to the "lucky" White Sox (47-22). So I decided to check out one of the worst offenders, ESPN.

At the top of SportsCenter, we are teased with Cleveland (37-31) vs. Boston (39-30) and the Angels (40-29) vs. Texas (37-31). The top story of the show featured San Diego (39-31) beating the freshly-swept Dodgers (33-36). The crux? An eight-inning, 13-strikeout performance by Padres starter Jake Peavy in a 1-0 win. Follow it with a slugfest between the Indians and Red Sox and the Yankees losing to the Devil Rays (24-46).

They at least teased the White Sox after the first segment, talked NBA Finals in the second segment, then addressed the Sox-Royals game in the third segment after Pedro Gomez yapping about Barry Bonds. Immediately after the White Sox highlights, the always hyper and rarely enjoyable Linda Cohn said, with the Cardinals logo over her shoulder: "You can put them in the category of teams that should be getting attention, but aren't." I see, the Cardinals are the team not getting the attention they deserve. The Worldwide Leader did do the Sox the favor of putting them on the list of "What 2 Watch 4" tonight, saying Jon Garland was worth checking out. Of course, this was third on the list after Game 6 of the NBA Finals (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050620morrissey,1,1683607.column?coll=cs-moresports-navigation) (reasonable) and the Yankees vs. Devil Rays (not so much).

Lip

NUCatsFan
06-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Just heard on Baseball Tonight:

"They're the best team in baseball, if you look at the records". Of course, talking about our White Sox. Would they be saying that if Boston or New York had the best record?

:deadtrolls

Ol' No. 2
06-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Just heard on Baseball Tonight:

"They're the best team in baseball, if you look at the records". Of course, talking about our White Sox. Would they be saying that if Boston or New York had the best record?

As opposed to the best team in baseball, if you look at the uniforms? :kukoo:

TDog
06-24-2005, 12:54 AM
I take ESPN about about as seriously as I did in the days when they didn't have any sports bigger than Australian-rules football and tractor pulls were on the schedule. People who say the Cubs deserve more coverage than the Sox because of the A-word, however, have no reason to complain that ESPN slants their coverage.

People who aren't morons have every reason to complain.

The real problem is that it doesn't stop at ESPN. On the recorded (and ESPN-affiliated) ABC radio sports segment this morning on my way into work (my radio selections are quite limited), I heard that Ozzie Guillen hit a home run for the Washington Nationals yesterday.

I understand that people make mistakes. When I was a senior in high school, I was the sports editor of the Munster (Indiana) High Crier. My brother was a track and cross country star three years behind me. One afternoon I went into my after school job and people were congratulating me for winning some races. WJOB, it seems, picked up the results from the meet, which only had last names. Instead of finding someone who knew the names, they assumed it was me.

It just amazes me though that people at ABC sports might be sitting around saying, "Whose that Guillen who plays baseball?"