PDA

View Full Version : Quick Hits Column

Lip Man 1
06-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Interesting blurb in the Quick Hits in the Sun-Times today: (and no this is not the entire column...)

"ESPN is going on one long road trip this summer when it takes "SportsCenter'' on a cross-country tour. Billed as "'SportsCenter' Across America,'' the show will be broadcast from 50 states in 50 days starting July 17, when the 10 p.m. edition will originate from Fenway Park after the Yankees-Red Sox game.

The show will stop at a sporting event in a different state each day until the final one is broadcast Sept. 4. The segments will include reports on each state's contribution to the national sports scene, as well as other features.

"This gives us the chance to get a little closer to our fans, and it's a small way to say thanks because ESPN would not be what it is today without support from all 50 states,'' said Chris Berman, one of the hosts. "So, just like the U.S. Senate, every state is represented equally on this tour.''

The tour will stop in Chicago on Aug. 22 for a Cubs game against the Atlanta Braves, which probably will send a few White Sox fans looking for their barf bags."

Can you blame Sox fans???

Lip

Ol' No. 2
06-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Interesting blurb in the Quick Hits in the Sun-Times today: (and no this is not the entire column...)

"ESPN is going on one long road trip this summer when it takes "SportsCenter'' on a cross-country tour. Billed as "'SportsCenter' Across America,'' the show will be broadcast from 50 states in 50 days starting July 17, when the 10 p.m. edition will originate from Fenway Park after the Yankees-Red Sox game.

The show will stop at a sporting event in a different state each day until the final one is broadcast Sept. 4. The segments will include reports on each state's contribution to the national sports scene, as well as other features.

"This gives us the chance to get a little closer to our fans, and it's a small way to say thanks because ESPN would not be what it is today without support from all 50 states,'' said Chris Berman, one of the hosts. "So, just like the U.S. Senate, every state is represented equally on this tour.''

The tour will stop in Chicago on Aug. 22 for a Cubs game against the Atlanta Braves, which probably will send a few White Sox fans looking for their barf bags."

Can you blame Sox fans???

LipShocking. Why would they want to visit the best team in baseball?

cheeses_h_rice
06-22-2005, 12:01 PM
At least ESPN has their priorities straight, and demonstrates their commitment to covering nothing but the best baseball has to offer.

Rocky Soprano
06-22-2005, 12:03 PM
I noticed your e-mail made the paper Lip. Good job! :D:

SOXSINCE'70
06-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Lip

A FEW??????

This should send ALL White Sox fans in search of
barf bags,colonics,anything to cleanse the soul.:angry:

:chunks

santo=dorf
06-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Does anyone here really want Berman in OUR ballpark? **** him. :angry:

ChiSoxRowand
06-22-2005, 12:41 PM

good point.

cheeses_h_rice
06-22-2005, 12:43 PM

I had the unfortunate experience of hearing him announcing the HR Derby during the ASG festivities in 2003.

santo=dorf
06-22-2005, 01:04 PM
I had the unfortunate experience of hearing him announcing the HR Derby during the ASG festivities in 2003.

It's not only that, but he called us the WORST fans in baseball because we booed Manuel at the All-Star game.

Hey Fatboy, didn't your precious Red Sox nation boo Clemens at the 1999 All-Star game? How about the Astros fans last year booing Jimy Williams? :angry:

Palehose Pete
06-22-2005, 03:24 PM
I didn't think that we booed Manuel. I thought that we booed Dusty Baker and Co.? In any case, we booed and Berman did not care such sounds falling upon his ears.

Aren't the Sox playing about, oh, 10 or 15 games against the Twins during August and September? Wouldn't that make for more compelling baseball?

cheeses_h_rice
06-22-2005, 03:31 PM
I didn't think that we booed Manuel. I thought that we booed Dusty Baker and Co.? In any case, we booed and Berman did not care such sounds falling upon his ears.

Aren't the Sox playing about, oh, 10 or 15 games against the Twins during August and September? Wouldn't that make for more compelling baseball?

I found this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22129&highlight=booing+prior) where we discussed this. I posted this:

In person, the booing was much louder than the Fox broadcast would indicate.

Biggest cheers, IMO:

1. Loaiza
2. Maggs
3. Everett
4. Nomar

Biggest boos:

1. Dusty Baker
2. Kerry Wood
3. Mark Prior
4. Bonds
5. Giambi
6. Clemens
7. AL Central rivals
8. Jerry Manuel

SoxFan78
06-22-2005, 03:34 PM

Ironcially on 8/22 the Sox have the day off. But the day before they play the Yankees, and the day after they play the Twins.

Of course the Cubs vs. Braves games trump both of these matchups!!!!

jackbrohamer
06-22-2005, 03:40 PM
I found this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22129&highlight=booing+prior) where we discussed this. I posted this:

Booing Carrie Woods during the HR Derby was my favorite. He was sitting on the field, they were showing his face on the CF scoreboard, and he looked up wondering why everyone was booing all of a sudden only to find out they were booing him.

The Racehorse
06-22-2005, 04:07 PM

"ESPN is going on one long road trip this summer when it takes "SportsCenter'' on a cross-country tour.

:ozzie

*spits a few sunflower seeds*
"Those ****ing ESPN types and that museum on the Northside should have a wedding... it'd be a ****ing marriage made in ****ing Hell. The whole place and Chris Berman can go get torched and ****ed."
*spits a few more seeds*

:moron
"See, SEE!... I told everyone that would listen that Ozzie acts like a Mafia boss"

:hawk
"Mercy"