PDA

View Full Version : Doobie Brothers?

skottyj242
06-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Was anyone at the game last night? I got there early, go down to my seat and the Doobie Brothers came out and sang a couple of songs, it was pretty cool but really weird.

Also I haven't been to a game since last week but when Podsednik got on base everyone around me started changing "Go. Go. Go." I thought that was great. Also, someone brought this up the other day but they started playing the '59 Sox fight song in between I think the sixth and seventh innings, Brilliant!!!

One more little tidbit, why was Bruce Weber there? Why are we promoting a lying backstaber who was at The Shrine a couple weeks ago?

wdelaney72
06-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Was anyone at the game last night? I got there early, go down to my seat and the Doobie Brothers came out and sang a couple of songs, it was pretty cool but really weird.

Also I haven't been to a game since last week but when Podsednik got on base everyone around me started changing "Go. Go. Go." I thought that was great. Also, someone brought this up the other day but they started playing the '59 Sox fight song in between I think the sixth and seventh innings, Brilliant!!!

One more little tidbit, why was Bruce Weber there? Why are we promoting a lying backstaber who was at The Shrine a couple weeks ago?

One of my favorite movie quotes of all time... Romancing the Stone...
"Aw s**t. The Doobie Brothers broke up!"

anewman35
06-22-2005, 11:16 AM

It was an odd game all-around - there were 6 thousand people there from the Rotery Convention, many of whom seemed to know little about baseball (and all of whom were trying to take the Red Line back north after the game). Fun fun fun.

But, um, why is Bruce Weber a lying backstaber? Are we supposed to blacklist anybody who ever shows up at Wrigley Field?

skottyj242
06-22-2005, 11:21 AM
But, um, why is Bruce Weber a lying backstaber? Are we supposed to blacklist anybody who ever shows up at Wrigley Field?

I went to Southern Illinois and Bruce Weber was our coach and a couple of weeks before he took the Illinois job he said that he wasn't considering it then he's announced as the new Illini head coach. I knew he was going to leave eventually for Purdue but I thought he would do it like Matt Painter did...not hold a press conference look directly at the audience and flat out lie. It's gotta be the same as people who went to Illinois feel about Bill Self, he did the same exact thing with the Kansas job.

HAR-OLD
06-22-2005, 11:23 AM
well i would assume he was there because he brought the illini to their bes t basketball season in history this spring, and because chicago is in illinois

i know that on opening day, the same day as the national championship, the sox were doing all kinds of illini stuff, putting up pictures on the jumbotron and so forth, and i even heard that nancy played the fight song

ther are a ton of illini fans who are sox fans, a ton who are cardinal fans, and yes unfortunately, a huge number who are cub fans, he has been to all three parks this summer, for his fanbase

since he is from milwaukee, i highly doubt he has any love for the cubs

anewman35
06-22-2005, 11:24 AM
I went to Southern Illinois and Bruce Weber was our coach and a couple of weeks before he took the Illinois job he said that he wasn't considering it then he's announced as the new Illini head coach. I knew he was going to leave eventually for Purdue but I thought he would do it like Matt Painter did...not hold a press conference look directly at the audience and flat out lie. It's gotta be the same as people who went to Illinois feel about Bill Self, he did the same exact thing with the Kansas job.

Come on, how many college basketball coaches have done the exact same thing? And I don't know all the details, but isn't it possible that he was really not even considering it, and he changed his mind in the few weeks between them? And I mean, come on, can you BLAME him for taking the Illinois job? No matter what loyality you have to SIU, you have to admit that Weber would have been a moron to turn down the Illinois job.

34rancher
06-22-2005, 11:27 AM
To go back to the Doobie Bros., they are playing tonight at Ravinia. Since they are in town, you can't blame them for wanting to see the best team in baseball. :D:

skottyj242
06-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Come on, how many college basketball coaches have done the exact same thing? And I don't know all the details, but isn't it possible that he was really not even considering it, and he changed his mind in the few weeks between them? And I mean, come on, can you BLAME him for taking the Illinois job? No matter what loyality you have to SIU, you have to admit that Weber would have been a moron to turn down the Illinois job.

Yes I can blame him, I think he's a scumbag but that's just my opinion.

aniceItch
06-22-2005, 12:01 PM

Yea. It happens all the time. And the fans hate it..every time.
If there is a Illinois fan who doesnt have a little annomosity towards Self, I think they are lying. Well, its probably easier when you get to the national championship a couple years later. but yea. If Illini fans dont hate him, I wonder why the Chicago media had at least an article a day discussing whether or not he regretted it.

anewman35
06-22-2005, 12:29 PM

If somebody offered you a better job than you have now, you wouldn't take it?

It's fine to be upset with him, but I think you vastly overestimate SIU if you think it's as good as the Illinois job (and by the same token, I'd be pissed if he left Illinois, but I'd understand it if it was for a job that was clearly much better). It's easy to question somebody else's loyalty when you're not the one who'd have to give up a ton to stay loyal.

wdelaney72
06-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Being an ISU alum, I hate Kevin Stallings for the very same reason.

Lip Man 1
06-22-2005, 12:47 PM
This story explains it all and the Vince deal as well:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x22-ard1.htm

Lip

alohafri
06-22-2005, 01:05 PM
The Alohas were at the game last night and really liked the DBs--they sang "Black Water" and "Listen to The Music"--they also sang the national anthem.
Then they stayed for the entire game--sat in the scout seats--and rooted for the Sox.
We were sitting in Sec. 127 and some guys a few rows higher were starting all sorts of chants--the "go-go-go" chant when Pods was on base--trying to get him to run and to distract the pitcher. They also started chanting "let's go Doobies" at one point which was funny--they were having a good time.

Also, last week when Vince Vaughn was at the game he was also sitting in the scout seats and was wearing a Sox hat. I was told by a cub fan at work that he is a cub fan. Makes me wonder if wearing the Sox hat was just a publicity stunt?

--Mrs. Aloha

Lip Man 1
06-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Mrs. Aloha:

Read the link I posted the story explains that he is in fact a Cub fan.

Lip

alohafri
06-22-2005, 01:27 PM
Lip,
So it WAS a publicity stunt. So I will not pay good money to go see his movie. I have my principles!

:smile: Mrs. Aloha

batmanZoSo
06-22-2005, 01:29 PM

I thought I heard a clip of live Black Water coming from the TV in the other room on Sportscenter last night. I just shrugged it off and thought it was my imagination.