PDA

View Full Version : "Cubbies"

Nellie_Fox
06-22-2005, 12:57 AM
Why do posters here ever refer to the Cubs as the "Cubbies?"

That seems to me to carry with it the idea that they are cute and loveable. I can't imagine a Sox fan ever calling them the "Cubbies." Even on the ESPN game on Sunday, Thorne told about when he first came to work for the Sox, and he was reading scores and said "Cubbies." He said the switchboard just lit up, and he learned that you don't call them the Cubbies on the south side.

skobabe8
06-22-2005, 01:08 AM

That seems to me to carry with it the idea that they are cute and loveable. I can't imagine a Sox fan ever calling them the "Cubbies." Even on the ESPN game on Sunday, Thorne told about when he first came to work for the Sox, and he was reading scores and said "Cubbies." He said the switchboard just lit up, and he learned that you don't call them the Cubbies on the south side.

I've always had the same mentality. I would NEVER call them that. I've always wondered why others do.

The Dude
06-22-2005, 01:12 AM
Yeah I never understood why a Sox fan would do that.
We should have a language filter in WSI that filters out that awful word!

SomebodyToldMe
06-22-2005, 01:24 AM
I don't even capitalize the letter "c" when I type their name.

They're the "cubs" to me.

TheOldRoman
06-22-2005, 01:30 AM
I ocassionally use the word sarcastically, usually when talking to Cubs fans about how they got their asses handed to them on any given day. "How 'bout those Cubbies, eh?" I also use the term when spouting off a hypothetical quote from one of the stooges, such as a few young teen skanks who came into my work today. "You know, Cubbies are just so adorable. I mean, they wear such cute colors, they have a timeless, traditional ballpark. They the are so awesome that we love them even when they dont win. We are REAL fans because we pack the Urinal no matter what, unlike those dirty Sox fans who demand success. It doesnt matter that we dont pay attention to the game. Cubbies will win anyways. Just give me a pink Cubs hat and buy me a couple of beers, and hopefully the TV cameras will pick up on me flashing. Wow, I love baseball."
That quote was hypothetical, but it is a typical quote uttered by those morons. However, I couldn't get through it without teal. I dont use the term "Cubbies". Its disgusting, and its typical from a mindless fanbase who cares about shoving a faux "tradition" down people's throats and making them look adorable more than watching winning baseball in a ballpark with unobstructed views while not sitting in urine.

dcb33
06-22-2005, 01:40 AM

The only acceptable reason I can think of as to why people would refer to the Cubs as the Cubbies on this board is that they're using it as a false term of endearment. Whenever I call that minor league organization from the north side the Cubbies, it's always used sarcastically and in jest.

Nellie_Fox
06-22-2005, 01:49 AM
The only acceptable reason I can think of as to why people would refer to the Cubs as the Cubbies on this board is that they're using it as a false term of endearment. Whenever I call that minor league organization from the north side the Cubbies, it's always used sarcastically and in jest.Then they should put it in quotes or in teal. There have been way too many threads lately referring to "the Cubbies" without either quotes or teal. Look around, and you will see several posts where there doesn't appear to be any sarcasm attached to the term.

I started a separate thread so as not to call out any individual poster.

Foulke You
06-22-2005, 01:50 AM

Keep preaching Nellie. Couldn't agree more.

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2005, 02:18 AM
I don't even capitalize the letter "c" when I type their name.

They're the "cubs" to me.

I have a nickname for the northside minor league ball club, but, for the sake of keeping R-Rated stuff off the board, I'll neglect to post it...

grinderrule#1
06-22-2005, 02:24 AM
the fact that cubs fans refer to AAA chicago as "cubbies" just compleatly supports that they will never be more than loveable loosers

TDog
06-22-2005, 02:41 AM
It's bad enough to root for a team named for a baby bear. Show your heartfelt feelings for your team by referring to them as diminutive baby bears.

My personal preference for Chicago's National League franchise would be, "tonight losing team," but the cubs play in the NL Central.

DrCrawdad
06-22-2005, 06:07 AM

I call them the Cubbies, and I call them that in a mocking tone. What sports teams (or their fans) would willingly embrace such a lame, weak, limp-wristed term?

I think "Cubbies" is the stupidest name for a sports franchise I've ever heard. I probably should use teal or pink (how fitting) when I refer to the Cubs as the Cubbies, because I use the term as a put-down, NOT as a term of endearment.

http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/woowoo.jpg
I love the term Cubbies.

TornLabrum
06-22-2005, 07:22 AM
The only acceptable reason I can think of as to why people would refer to the Cubs as the Cubbies on this board is that they're using it as a false term of endearment. Whenever I call that minor league organization from the north side the Cubbies, it's always used sarcastically and in jest.

*DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING*

DrCrawdad
06-22-2005, 07:36 AM

*DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING*

Most Cubbie fans with half a brain (ok that thinned the herd quite a bit) know I'm using that term in a derogatory manner.

Dibbs
06-22-2005, 08:04 AM
I would never use the term in a general conversation, but I always use the word when I am being sarcastic or messing with a Cubs fan.

SAVVY18
06-22-2005, 08:23 AM
Last night as soon as the Post game ended, they went to the Comcast Studios and the chick doing the reports started doing her report on "the cubbies". I swear she said it 10 times. Just made me want to puke. I mean come on. The Sox Post game just ended and the majority of the fans still tuned in were Sox fans. I think it is the stupidest nickname I have ever heard and another reason to hate that team.

gobears1987
06-22-2005, 09:05 AM
I don't even call them the Cubs, just call them the Flubs.

kittle42
06-22-2005, 09:56 AM
But it's root, root, root for them!

Ol' No. 2
06-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Then they should put it in quotes or in teal. There have been way too many threads lately referring to "the Cubbies" without either quotes or teal. Look around, and you will see several posts where there doesn't appear to be any sarcasm attached to the term.

I started a separate thread so as not to call out any individual poster.I understand your point, but I think, at least around here, it's pretty safe to assume any use of the term "Cubbies" is meant in sarcasm.

Nellie_Fox
06-23-2005, 12:27 AM
I understand your point, but I think, at least around here, it's pretty safe to assume any use of the term "Cubbies" is meant in sarcasm.I would have agreed with you until a couple of months ago, when a thread revealed how many "I like both teams" types we have here. I was shocked.

chitownhawkfan
06-23-2005, 12:40 AM
Anybody who likes both teams is obviously a scrubs fan and shouldnt be here, and if you use the word "cubbies" without some vicious sarcastic attachment you should also be booted

:andy
Either way we could all use more andy

Rocklive99
06-23-2005, 12:57 AM

I hope DJ was watching that telecast, and taking notes at that, I hate when he calls them that. If he wants to show love for a former team, nobody will have a problem if you go work for them instead, then maybe we can get someone with a thought in the booth.

Chisox003
06-23-2005, 01:04 AM
I would have agreed with you until a couple of months ago, when a thread revealed how many "I like both teams" types we have here. I was shocked.

I'm very glad I was not around yet for that thread...Wow

"I like both teams" + the word "Cubbies" means :chunks

The Racehorse
06-23-2005, 02:51 AM
The only folks who don't realize that Cubbies is baseball's vernacular for loser are Cubs fans.

tebman
06-23-2005, 12:43 PM

I avoid the problem by usually referring to them as the Chicago National League Ball Club, which is their official name in the Illinois Secretary of State's corporation database. (http://cdsprod.ilsos.net/CorpSearchWeb/CorporationSearchServlet?fileNumber=52494613&sysId=CD&nameType=MST) Go to that site and enter "Chicago National League Ball Club."

Their corporate agent's address is 435 N. Michigan, Suite 600 -- deep in the belly of the Tribune beast. :cower: