PDA

View Full Version : Cubs/Sox Bad Blood All The Sox Fault, According To Cubune

DrCrawdad
06-22-2005, 01:41 AM
Cubune writer Mark Gonzales, the Cubune Sox beat writer, has a column today giving these reasons for MLB to be watching the Cubbies/Sox series:

1. Jerry Hairston got by a Sox pitcher buzzed high and tight with a pitch.
2. Buehrle implied Maddux throws spitters.
3. Vince Coleman barred from dugout by Sox.

Gonzales says that 6 hitters were HBP in the last Cubbies/Sox series. Gonzales does not break down how many each team hit the other. IIRC the Cubbies did most of the plunking, but perhaps someone can let me know.

Foulke You
06-22-2005, 01:52 AM
Cubune writer Mark Gonzales, the Cubune Sox beat writer, has a column today giving these reasons for MLB to be watching the Cubbies/Sox series:

Gonzales says that 6 hitters were HBP in the last Cubbies/Sox series. Gonzales does not break down how many each team hit the other. IIRC the Cubbies did most of the plunking, but perhaps someone can let me know.
I remember the first plunk was from Greg Maddux that hit Tadahito Iguchi in Game 1. Freddy retaliated by plunking Derek Lee the next inning and it snowballed from there. I seem to remember more Sox hitters getting beaned than Cubs though.

This slanted coverage reminds me of the 2001 Wrigley Sox/Cubs series and the "infamous spikes high" slide from Chris Singleton into 3rd base which was the closest we ever came to a Sox vs Cubs bench clearing brawl. There were some words exchanged by Ricky Gutierrez and Singleton after the slide. Of course, the media never reported the whole story. The previous inning, Gutierrez had slid spikes way high into Royce Clayton's shin. Chris Singleton was only retaliating. Of course, this is NOT how it was portrayed in the media. The Sox were made out to be instigators. Gutierrez ended up winning that game for the Cubs with a walkoff homer. The Sun Times headlines the next day read "Ricky's Revenge" as if he was the victim. This was also the day Mariotti delivered the infamous "Scum Sox" article where he trashed us for playing dirty among other things. The Trib's coverage was similar, the Sox were painted as the bad guys (naturally) on this play and no mention of Gutierrez's spikes high slide was made. Of course, a few blown kisses the next day from Jose Valentin in game 2 and a pitching gem from Sean Lowe in Game 3 sealed the deal and bragging rights once again for the White Sox over the lovable losers giving us the last laugh.

soxfanreggie
06-22-2005, 01:53 AM
Those Cubune reporters need to stop digging in the sewer for the crap they call stories.

kojak
06-22-2005, 01:59 AM
There is something to be fearful of, a Sox-Cubs bench-clearing brawl.

I could see the smirks on the faces of Cub fans everywhere with this headline:
"Podsednik injures knee in fracas- could be out for the season"

Foulke You
06-22-2005, 02:10 AM
There is something to be fearful of, a Sox-Cubs bench-clearing brawl.

I could see the smirks on the faces of Cub fans everywhere with this headline:
"Podsednik injures knee in fracas- could be out for the season"
I tend to worry about a snowball effect carrying over into the stands. The atmosphere is usually pretty tightly wound as it is during the crosstown series with a smattering of fights. I'd hate to think what would happen if the benches cleared.

StillMissOzzie
06-22-2005, 02:17 AM

4. sCrUBS crying because Uribe faked out Derek Lee with the foul ball ruse.

Cry me a freaking river.

Edit: Convenient lapse of memory/lack of initiative on the part of the Cubune writer - shocking, I know - but the sCrUBs led the hit (by pitch) parade 4-2, so if there are any paybacks still in order, the sCrUBs have them coming.
Re-Edit: 5/20 - Iguchi hit by Maddux, D Lee hit by Garcia
5/21 - Rowand, AJ both hit by Zambrano
5/22 - D Lee hit by McCarthy, AJ hit by Prior
Real losers are AJ and D Lee, both hit twice.
If only there were some sort of "information superhighway" where newspaper writers could look up facts quickly and accurately.

SMO
:gulp:

Realist
06-22-2005, 04:55 AM
I tend to worry about a snowball effect carrying over into the stands. The atmosphere is usually pretty tightly wound as it is during the crosstown series with a smattering of fights. I'd hate to think what would happen if the benches cleared.

If the benches clear at a Sox/Cubs game, it's "Go Time!". Probably not a good series to be having a Bat Day promotion. I imagine the scene in the park would make the movie "Slap Shot" look like a late 60's Disney live action movie.

Cubbiesuck13
06-22-2005, 06:37 AM
I don't mind being the bad guy. I think the SOX play a pretty good older brother to the flubs making sure they don't step out of line. Kicking their butt if they do. Intimidation is a powerful thing. Maybe brother is too close of a relationship. Perhaps whiney little bitch neighbor...

DrCrawdad
06-22-2005, 07:35 AM
4. sCrUBS crying because Uribe faked out Derek Lee with the foul ball ruse.

Cry me a freaking river.

Edit: Convenient lapse of memory/lack of initiative on the part of the Cubune writer - shocking, I know - but the sCrUBs led the hit (by pitch) parade 4-2, so if there are any paybacks still in order, the sCrUBs have them coming.
Re-Edit: 5/20 - Iguchi hit by Maddux, D Lee hit by Garcia
5/21 - Rowand, AJ both hit by Zambrano
5/22 - D Lee hit by McCarthy, AJ hit by Prior
Real losers are AJ and D Lee, both hit twice.
If only there were some sort of "information superhighway" where newspaper writers could look up facts quickly and accurately.

SMO
:gulp:

Thanks for looking that up. That's what I remembered.

The Sox got "beaned" 4 times, the Cubs 2 times. One wonders why Gonzales didn't report that fact and instead only referenced the Sox as the perpetrators?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/photo/exe_mugs/k-williams.jpg
This is really starting to (urinate) me off!

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-22-2005, 10:48 AM

I would have to think that Ozzie would not allow something like that to happen. He's come out and admitted it's a big series for the city, but not for the Sox. The Sox need to take the series (as usual), and put these children to bed once and for all this season. Our true bench clearing brawls should be saved for the Twins, Orioles, Red Sox and Yankees. We ALL know the Cubs won't be playing past the end of their 162 game schedule, so why sweat it?

slavko
06-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Beaned means hit in the head (bean). Not the knee, toe, butt, or anything else. Cubs pitchers, especially the "Z" guy and the two frequently injured ones, throw 95 mph at people's heads like they have the Order From God to do so and weep and moan when someone retaliates. Be ready for it. This series means more to them than it does to us. Finally, Ozzie came to his senses regarding pitching the not-ready-for-prime-time BMac in this series. This year, we have more to play for than any Cubs series.

Juice16
06-22-2005, 12:16 PM
I remember the first plunk was from Greg Maddux that hit Tadahito Iguchi in Game 1. Freddy retaliated by plunking Derek Lee the next inning and it snowballed from there. I seem to remember more Sox hitters getting beaned than Cubs though.

This slanted coverage reminds me of the 2001 Wrigley Sox/Cubs series and the "infamous spikes high" slide from Chris Singleton into 3rd base which was the closest we ever came to a Sox vs Cubs bench clearing brawl. There were some words exchanged by Ricky Gutierrez and Singleton after the slide. Of course, the media never reported the whole story. The previous inning, Gutierrez had slid spikes way high into Royce Clayton's shin. Chris Singleton was only retaliating. Of course, this is NOT how it was portrayed in the media. The Sox were made out to be instigators. Gutierrez ended up winning that game for the Cubs with a walkoff homer. The Sun Times headlines the next day read "Ricky's Revenge" as if he was the victim. This was also the day Mariotti delivered the infamous "Scum Sox" article where he trashed us for playing dirty among other things. The Trib's coverage was similar, the Sox were painted as the bad guys (naturally) on this play and no mention of Gutierrez's spikes high slide was made. Of course, a few blown kisses the next day from Jose Valentin in game 2 and a pitching gem from Sean Lowe in Game 3 sealed the deal and bragging rights once again for the White Sox over the lovable losers giving us the last laugh.

Everyone, especially the media also forgot that Singleton's spikes high slide was in retaliation to Eric Young's spikes high slide. Really easy for the media to overlook who started the ordeal.

SOXSINCE'70
06-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Please keep in mind that Gonzales is the same drillrod that
said it would make perfect sense for the Sox to trade for
Vinny Castilla IF THE NATIONALS WEREN'T IN THE A.L. (6/22):rolleyes:.

Hey Mark,here's a hint.THEY'RE NOT!!:angry: :angry:

The Nationals are an N.L. East team.Get your facts straight
before you write a "trade possiblities" article.

Oops.You work for Dan McGrath. Sorry.I forgot.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story. :roflmao: :roflmao: :whistle:

JB98
06-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Everyone, especially the media also forgot that Singleton's spikes high slide was in retaliation to Eric Young's spikes high slide. Really easy for the media to overlook who started the ordeal.

Yes, that's how it started. Young practically ripped Choice's arm off, so Singleton retaliated. Somehow, Chris got labeled as the cheap-shot artist. Gutierrez hit a wind-blown grand slam into the basket off Howry, and the Cubs celebrated like they won the World Series. Then, we came back and kicked their asses the next two games. I remember Foulke pointing at the fans and taunting them after he recorded the final out of the series in the Sunday game. Good times. :gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2005, 02:01 PM
In a case like this, it me it would speak volumes if the Sox did not bother retaliating if the Cubs start to play dirty.

It would be a way of saying, "You're not worth fighting," to the Cubs.

Foulke You
06-22-2005, 02:01 PM
You are correct, I got the story wrong, it wasn't Gutierrez who slid spikes high, it was Eric Young. And yes, the media completely overlooked that Singleton slid spikes high to retaliate for Eric Young.