PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful Observation

seanpmurphy
06-22-2005, 01:01 AM
First of all, I don't believe in jinxes. However, I do wants to point out that after being called a "dark cloud" after the routing of the Rockies on June 8th, I said I would love for the Sox go to .750 in the month of June, and a couple of people thought I was being silly.

Well...

After tonight's win against KC, the Sox are playing .720 ball in the month of June, and in the last 7 games need to win 5 to finish out the month with a .760 win percentage. Based on who those 7 games are against, this is definitely possible.

I just want to point out this could be one of the best months of Sox baseball of the season with the amount of wins they could put up. Also, 9 games ahead of Minnesota is nothing to complain about at all. Our offense has kicked it up, even players like Crede and Dye that we wanted traded have been improvements, our pitching remains great, and for those who care, our attendence is A LOT better.

This month basically defines what an incredible season it has been thus far and I hope it continues all the way into the fall. Let's GO SOX

RallyBowl
06-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Good post. A lot of people have said all season that we can't continue to win at the pace we have. I say why not?

downstairs
06-22-2005, 02:17 PM
I've been a dark cloud at times during the season as well. And I won't apologize for it... a .700 record in April, May and parts of June is not meaningless- BUT, if a team shows cracks, they're a bigger deal.

At least, it was fair to be afraid that the cracks showing early would take us down the same route we've been through for years.... first place baseball through July, then *poof.*

I now can't see that happening. This is real. I don't care if we're .700, .667, or .600... as long as we make the playoffs. But a 2nd place finish with no wildcard would be devistating.

swanson24
06-22-2005, 02:18 PM
I take a lite bit of satisfaction now knowing that everyone who knew Jermaine Dye was awful have become silent. If the team plays well the voice of the White Sox fan criticizing the team players should get smaller and smaller. At least that is what I hope for as a White Sox fan.

Rocky Soprano
06-22-2005, 02:40 PM
I take a lite bit of satisfaction now knowing that everyone who knew Jermaine Dye was awful have become silent.

Hangar you out there? :D:

kojak
06-22-2005, 04:11 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=710334#post710334

TomBradley72
06-22-2005, 05:56 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51741

9-3 since posting "are we about to go on a run?" :)

TaylorStSox
06-22-2005, 06:00 PM
Hangar you out there? :D:

Hangar won't arrive in this thread until somebody mentions the Cubs.

Chisox003
I take a lite bit of satisfaction now knowing that everyone who knew Jermaine Dye was awful have become silent.\

I've been wondering myself where the "Trade Konerko and Trade Dye" threads have gone...

A few weeks ago, there were several for each player....Now? Nada

TaylorStSox
Damnit! I just did. :redneck

rwcescato
06-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Good post. A lot of people have said all season that we can't continue to win at the pace we have. I say why not?

Is it me or does it seem like we could go on a 15 or 16 game winning streak right now.
Rich

Ol' No. 2
06-22-2005, 07:35 PM
First of all, I don't believe in jinxes. However, I do wants to point out that after being called a "dark cloud" after the routing of the Rockies on June 8th, I said I would love for the Sox go to .750 in the month of June, and a couple of people thought I was being silly.

Well...

After tonight's win against KC, the Sox are playing .720 ball in the month of June, and in the last 7 games need to win 5 to finish out the month with a .760 win percentage. Based on who those 7 games are against, this is definitely possible.

I just want to point out this could be one of the best months of Sox baseball of the season with the amount of wins they could put up. Also, 9 games ahead of Minnesota is nothing to complain about at all. Our offense has kicked it up, even players like Crede and Dye that we wanted traded have been improvements, our pitching remains great, and for those who care, our attendence is A LOT better.

This month basically defines what an incredible season it has been thus far and I hope it continues all the way into the fall. Let's GO SOXI don't know why, but for as long as I can remember, June has always been very good to the Sox. This year is no different. And even more important, it hasn't been very good to the Twinkies. Unfortunately, the week or two right before the All-Star game has always been horrible for the Sox. If they can get through that stretch and keep their commanding lead, you can start queueing up for playoff tickets.

miker
06-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Wait a minute, it doesn't count...the Sox haven't played anybody yet!

(Gee, we haven't heard that B.S. for a while...)

CallMeNuts
06-22-2005, 09:08 PM

When you ask this question, it is important to put it in a historical context.

Since 1955, there have been a total of 1,212 major league seasons played. There have been a grand total of THREE of these seasons where a team has had a complete season with a winning percentage of .690 or higher:

1995 Indians (100-44, .694) in a strike shortened season. Lost in WS.
1998 Yankees (114-48, .704). Won WS. IMHO, this is the greatest season a team has had in the entire history of baseball, based on the combination of the regular season and the postseason.
2001 Mariners (116-46, .716). Lost ALCS.

So even in this elite group, only one of the three teams won the World Series.

IF we keep it up, we will become one of the top 0.3% of all teams within the last 50 years. Are we that good? While I won't rule it out, I think it is important to understand just how elite this would be.

But more importantly, we also need to understand that being this good in the regular season is no guarantee as to our performance in October, when the games really matter. Remember: The last 3 World Series have been won by teams who failed to win their division.

Ol' No. 2
06-22-2005, 09:14 PM
When you ask this question, it is important to put it in a historical context.

Since 1955, there have been a total of 1,212 major league seasons played. There have been a grand total of THREE of these seasons where a team has had a complete season with a winning percentage of .690 or higher:

1995 Indians (100-44, .694) in a strike shortened season. Lost in WS.
1998 Yankees (114-48, .704). Won WS. IMHO, this is the greatest season a team has had in the entire history of baseball, based on the combination of the regular season and the postseason.
2001 Mariners (116-46, .716). Lost ALCS.

So even in this elite group, only one of the three teams won the World Series.

IF we keep it up, we will become one of the top 0.3% of all teams within the last 50 years. Are we that good? While I won't rule it out, I think it is important to understand just how elite this would be.

But more importantly, we also need to understand that being this good in the regular season is no guarantee as to our performance in October, when the games really matter. Remember: The last 3 World Series have been won by teams who failed to win their division.Good point. Post season series, by virtue of their being short, are largely a crapshoot. The better team does not always win. You need a lot of luck. But what definately tilts the odds in your favor is solid pitching, which the Sox have. Look at the WS teams from the last few years. Almost all were in the top 3 in their league in pitching, but several were near the middle of their league in offense.

CubsSuckSoBad
06-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Is it me or does it seem like we could go on a 15 or 16 game winning streak right now.
Rich

It's not just you....

We're playing REALLY good ball right now...

Perfect time to play the Nubs and rub it in their faces.....

CallMeNuts
06-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Good point. Post season series, by virtue of their being short, are largely a crapshoot. The better team does not always win. You need a lot of luck. But what definately tilts the odds in your favor is solid pitching, which the Sox have. Look at the WS teams from the last few years. Almost all were in the top 3 in their league in pitching, but several were near the middle of their league in offense.

Absolutely. What we need in October is Great Pitching, Healthy Pitching, and Hot Pitching. Since all you need in October is 4 starters, we could even stand having on Cuban on the DL. I'm as optimistic as a 50-year Sox fan can get.