PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Love the National Media

Taliesinrk
06-22-2005, 12:56 AM
I'm a newcomer here, so you'll have to forgive me if this should have been posted in another place or has already been discussed.
Anyway, if anyone could clarify as to why JACOB LUFT made such an offensive and jack*** comment about White Sox fans, I would be very interested. This quote is from LUFT's SI.Com page (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jacob_luft/06/16/june16.chatter/index.html) in response to Crazy Carl's Maxim article.

"He may actually be correct with that last statement, at least on the South Side, where fans spend too much time in line for beer to follow the game. Unfortunately, due to space constrictions, Maxim was unable to print all of Everett's musings..."

Apparently (judging by his picture at the top of the page) he saw some Sox fans in line for beer while he was getting one-too-many sausages.:angry:

SoxSpeed22
06-22-2005, 12:59 AM
I'm a newcomer here, so you'll have to forgive me if this should have been posted in another place or has already been discussed.
Anyway, if anyone could clarify as to why JACOB LUFT made such an offensive and jack*** comment about White Sox fans, I would be very interested. This quote is from LUFT's SI.Com page (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jacob_luft/06/16/june16.chatter/index.html) in response to Crazy Carl's Maxim article.

Apparently (judging by his picture at the top of the page) he saw some Sox fans in line for beer while he was getting one-too-many sausages.:angry:What's the Score? What's the Score?

Soxzilla
06-22-2005, 01:03 AM
He acts above Carl Everett and South Side fans, yet makes a masturbation joke in a professional website article?

Color me impressed, and teal for that matter.

Frankfan4life
06-22-2005, 01:42 AM
I don't care what he says about Carl. Carl is a big boy and can take care of himself. But, what's with the unwarranted attack on Sox fans? What is he basing a statement like that on? What a lazy b------. Hopefully, Luft and the rest of the sports writers will be forced into actually doing some real research on the White Sox this season instead of regurgitating things they've heard, or worse, just making stuff up.

skobabe8
06-22-2005, 01:47 AM
Wow....alot of people ripping sox fans for attacking a coach on the field. Wait....wasnt that guy a cubs fan? And wait....didnt cubs fans attack a pitcher and a dodgers bullpen? hmmmmm

TheOldRoman
06-22-2005, 02:17 AM
This 300lb pile of crap Luft wrote an article two weeks ago hyping up the Cubs-Red Sox matchup as a possible World Series preview. Enough said.

TDog
06-22-2005, 03:58 AM
Waiting in line for beer?

If the sale of alcoholic beverages was forbidden in the city of Chicago, I don't think it would have a huge impact on attendance at White Sox games. I won't say that for every team in Chicago. I've never had a beer at a baseball game in my life, and generally at Sox games I sat around people who weren't drinking beer. There were exceptions, but it was never what it was like for the games I attended in Milwaukee.

As for Everett's comment about most fans not knowing what is going on in a game, I believe most players would agree with him, only disputing his percentage.

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2005, 04:06 AM
As for Everett's comment about most fans not knowing what is going on in a game, I believe most players would agree with him, only disputing his percentage.

Perhaps that 99% of fans number that Everett brought up pertained to Cub fans in that place that should be imploded.

C-Dawg
06-22-2005, 06:50 AM
Perhaps that 99% of fans number that Everett brought up pertained to Cub fans in that place that should be imploded.

That was how I originally interpreted the comments. The media may have separated the two items to make it look like Everett is slamming Sox fans instead.

But what's with this miss-the-game-while-standing-in-line-for-beer stuff? Hasn't this guy ever been to Wrigley?

TommyJohn
06-22-2005, 08:18 AM
This is what drives me absolutlely freaking berserk about the sports media.
We still have to hear and read jokes about Ligue and Dybas. Meanwhile,
it is as if the incidents with Randy Myers and the Dodgers bullpen never
happened. While we're at it, let's call up Steve Bartman and ask him about
how Cub fans treated him during game 6. No, wait. Never mind. He's still in
hiding, trying to stay away from nice folks like Lester Munson, who have
threatened to kill him on sight. And White Sox fans have to endure the
tired stereotype of being a bunch of lunatic whackos?

TornLabrum
06-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Wow....alot of people ripping sox fans for attacking a coach on the field. Wait....wasnt that guy a cubs fan? And wait....didnt cubs fans attack a pitcher and a dodgers bullpen? hmmmmm

No, Ligue (who attacked Tom Gamboa) was described by family members as "not much of a baseball fan. The Cubs fan was Dybas, who got tanked up at Wrigley, drove (drunk) home to Bolingbrook, then drove back to The Cell to charge (and apparently try to pants) an umpire.

DumpJerry
06-22-2005, 08:37 AM
This 300lb pile of crap Luft wrote an article two weeks ago hyping up the Cubs-Red Sox matchup as a possible World Series preview. Enough said.
He was right on that one. It was a preview of the guys who will be sitting in Dusty's watching the Sox/Cards World Series and debating which is better: Miller Lite or Bud Lite.

Hangar18
06-22-2005, 02:05 PM

Apparently (judging by his picture at the top of the page) he saw some Sox fans in line for beer while he was getting one-too-many sausages.:angry:

Thats because the SOX insist on having ONE guy take money AND pour beer,
thats why the lines are so long.

Hangar18
06-22-2005, 02:09 PM
No, Ligue (who attacked Tom Gamboa) was described by family members as "not much of a baseball fan. The Cubs fan was Dybas, who got tanked up at Wrigley, drove (drunk) home to Bolingbrook, then drove back to The Cell to charge (and apparently try to pants) an umpire.

Lets not leave out the Brothers Skutnick, also from the south suburbs.
BOTH brothers ran onto the field before Cub fan Dybas charged the umpire.
How do we know this? it took other newssources to get the real story.
The Skutnicks are huge cub fans and were at the Cub game earlier in the afternoon and were looking "to do something fun, we didnt mean any harm in it"
on their on-field marathon. I have a pic saved of him being interviewed
by CNN I believe, wearing his 21 SOSA jersey. the media always
conveniently leaves the fact that the 4 people that ran the field that nite
were all CUB FANS who had all attended the Cub gm earlier that day.

harwar
06-22-2005, 05:23 PM
I think we have all see cars full of druken cub fans pulling into the parking lot at Sox Park.
I have met ,more than one at a game,who unabashedly told us that they came from wrigley "to cause as much trouble as they can".
I sure hope security is up on the line for this weekends series,because we don't want anything of the kind to happen again.
Everyone should be on the lookout for possible trouble.

cheeses_h_rice
06-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Check out this witty fellow:

Carl Everett is a freaking idiot. First of all, he's simply jealous of the fact that his ballpark is filled with criminals. Second, I would take Tiger in a fight over Carl any day of the week. It reminds me of John Kruk's famous quote, "I'm not a athlete, I'm a baseball player." Third, why does anybody care about a moron baseball player's views on homosexuality? Finally, I watch baseball, I know what I'm watching, and I'm sure as hell not watching Everett and the White Sox, who will choke in the second half.
-- Andrew Parsons, Indianapolis (4:01 p.m.)

I guess we should just keep out all Flub fans from now on...that might help reduce the criminal element this resident of 'Naptown is so afraid of.

thepaulbowski
06-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Check out this witty fellow:

I guess we should just keep out all Flub fans from now on...that might help reduce the criminal element this resident of 'Naptown is so afraid of.

You should give the guy some credit, he is from Indianapolis. He should know what it take to choke, this guy gets to witness choking ever year with Colts & Pacers. :cool:

TommyJohn
06-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Lets not leave out the Brothers Skutnick, also from the south suburbs.
BOTH brothers ran onto the field before Cub fan Dybas charged the umpire.
How do we know this? it took other newssources to get the real story.
The Skutnicks are huge cub fans and were at the Cub game earlier in the afternoon and were looking "to do something fun, we didnt mean any harm in it"
on their on-field marathon. I have a pic saved of him being interviewed
by CNN I believe, wearing his 21 SOSA jersey. the media always
conveniently leaves the fact that the 4 people that ran the field that nite
were all CUB FANS who had all attended the Cub gm earlier that day.

I remember that. One kid met the media with a big smirk on his fat face. He was also wearing a Cub jersey, although I thought it was a Wood one, I may be wrong. It was unbuttoned and showing his big gut. I remember him boasting about it and basically saying he felt like he had done nothing wrong. No one remembers that, though. No one but many White Sox fans, who
could've made the bold, daring prediction that the fact that all of that night's
field were Cub fans would go forever unnoticed and unmentioned by the
jerkoff, ******* Chicago media.