PDA

View Full Version : The Anti-Cubs Thing

Viva Medias B's
06-22-2005, 12:36 AM
It seems the "Cubs Suck" shirts are more popular than ever before. While I agree with the sentiment of those shirts, I'd never buy one and wouldn't be caught dead wearing one. What people want to wear is their own business, but I show pride in my White Sox by wearing apparel that says "White Sox" on them. I don't want to fall into the popular stereotype that we're more preoccupied with Cubs failure than our own team's success.

Palehose Pete
06-22-2005, 12:44 AM
I support your views, for what it's worth. We're the best team in baseball. Let's show our pride in that rather than feed into stereotypes by showing concern for a third rate team up north.

Cubbiesuck13
06-22-2005, 01:18 AM
For me, being a SOX fan is rooting for the SOX to win as well as rooting for the Flubs to loose. I would much rather have a SOX win than a Flubs loss but I can root for both without missing a second of the great SOX season. It's kind of like enjoying peanut butter AND jelly at the same time.

Foulke You
06-22-2005, 02:16 AM
It seems the "Cubs Suck" shirts are more popular than ever before. While I agree with the sentiment of those shirts, I'd never buy one and wouldn't be caught dead wearing one. What people want to wear is their own business, but I show pride in my White Sox by wearing apparel that says "White Sox" on them. I don't want to fall into the popular stereotype that we're more preoccupied with Cubs failure than our own team's success.
The Cubs Suck shirts tend to be a little more prevalent the closer you get to the crosstown series. There also seems to be more vendors cashing in outside the ballpark than ever before so the shirts themselves are much easier to come by.

I am in complete agreement though. I'd rather spend $15 on a Sox shirt than one that says Cubs Suck, Choke, or Cork on it.

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2005, 03:20 AM
In addition, those shirts look VERY cheaply made...I bet they fade after only a few washes...And you can't get your money back.

jake27
06-22-2005, 04:25 AM
i personally like the shirts. i still wear white sox tshirts every now and then, but i love the anti cubs ones, they are just fun to wear. that doesnt make me any less of a sox fan or anything. as long as you are supporting the team (watching, going to games, radio, whatever), it doesnt matter what you wear.

Realist
06-22-2005, 05:08 AM
I don't want to wear anything that has the word "Cubs" on it even if it's followed by a negative description of that team. I won't even wear that same shade of blue. It burns my skin. Give me Sox stuff to wear any day of the week.

I even have a hard time wearing "Bears" stuff cause I know that bears were once little cubs. :redneck

Realist
06-22-2005, 05:09 AM
[edit: oooops....how'd I double post?] :?:

DrCrawdad
06-22-2005, 07:21 AM
I don't want to wear anything that has the word "Cubs" on it even if it's followed by a negative description of that team. I won't even wear that same shade of blue. It burns my skin. Give me Sox stuff to wear any day of the week.

I even have a hard time wearing "Bears" stuff cause I know that bears were once little cubs. :redneck

The cork shirts were funny when Sosa was with the Cubbies. I would not wear a Cubs suck shirt, as I agree with you. I don't want their logo on me, even one that is altered. And wearing one only fosters or feeds the impressions that they have of Sox fans.

I saw a Sox Suck shirt the other day. I just asked the guy, he was working behind the counter of a fast-food joint, how much sense it made to wear that shirt considering that the Sox are the best team in baseball. He just laughed.

Cubbies fans still, such as Les Grobstein, still harp on the fact that there were two or three signs referring to the Cubbies at Comiskey during the 2000 playoffs. There were 46,000 people at each game but of course they focus on the two or three anti-Cubs signs as if everyone at the games had one.

As a point of fact, Sox Suck shirts are always on sale outside The Shrine, even when they are playing other NL teams. Would these vendors waste their time if no one bought them? Also, when the Cubbies went to the post-season in '03 Cubbies fans did chant, "Sox suck."

TornLabrum
06-22-2005, 08:20 AM
The only item I have resembling anything Cubbie is a blue cap with the red C with the letters HOKE inside.

cheeses_h_rice
06-22-2005, 09:59 AM
I still rock my "Sosa Cork Company" "choke" t-shirt, but only around the house these days, and even then very rarely.

When you wear a "Cubs Suck" shirt, you're telling the world you seemingly care more about the Cubs than the Sox. Plus if the Sox lose that particular game, you're guaranteeing you'll get taunts like "Yeah? If we suck so bad, how come we just beat the Sox?" Truly an argument for the idiotic.

gobears1987
06-22-2005, 10:01 AM
In addition, those shirts look VERY cheaply made...I bet they fade after only a few washes...And you can't get your money back.
I bought a Cork shirt 2 years ago from one of those vendors outside the park. It has not faded yet and I still wear it when I work out at the Y, but yes I do prefer Sox shirts.