PDA

View Full Version : It's CWS not CHW!

MikeLove
06-22-2005, 12:17 AM
Hi all, ran across this site a couple months ago and finally got around to register. I hate to post a rant for my first post, but this has been bothering me for a couple days now.

Where does ESPN get off changing the abbreviation for the whitesox?! It is CWS according to mlb.com and whitesox.com, yet espn feels the need to change it to...CHW? Not only does it look stupid but there is no need to ruin the perfectly good C hicago W hite S ox!

They use CWS to abbreviate College World Series and I think that is the reason they dont use it for our beloved Sox. Its really annoying cause they have CWS plastered all over the scrollbar at the bottom of the screen on ESPN, ESPN2 etc and it always grabs my attention cause i think its some breaking sox news!

/rant off

VivaOzzie
06-22-2005, 12:21 AM
I definitely prefer CWS, but its not a big deal to me. Though it does really annoy me when CWS catches my attention on the ticker for College World Series as well. :mad:

Cubbiesuck13
06-22-2005, 12:22 AM
You are very passionate. Are you sure you are not Brian Wilson? Just kidding. :welcome:

MRKARNO
06-22-2005, 12:22 AM
Because the Cubs have no similar style abreviation. It's pretty much that simple.

CHA and CHN is the CH with the last letter indicating the league

CHW and CHC is the same, but the last letter indicating the team

CWS and ? CC? CUB?

Norberto7
06-22-2005, 12:23 AM
Its really annoying cause they have CWS plastered all over the scrollbar at the bottom of the screen on ESPN, ESPN2 etc and it always grabs my attention cause i think its some breaking sox news!

Haha, yeah I find myself doing the same thing. Mental conditioning, you know...like how I salivate at the ring of the bell. :yup:

MikeLove
06-22-2005, 12:27 AM
Because the Cubs have no similar style abreviation. It's pretty much that simple.

heh that was my other guess, but i didnt want to go off on a HUGE rant =P

HK Chicago
06-22-2005, 12:40 AM
I've always preferred CHW, CHC, NYY, NYM and now LAD, LAA... but it only bothers me on my XBOX. Each broadcase seems to use a different abbreviation.

Frankfan4life
06-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Hi all, ran across this site a couple months ago and finally got around to register. I hate to post a rant for my first post, but this has been bothering me for a couple days now.

Where does ESPN get off changing the abbreviation for the whitesox?! It is CWS according to mlb.com and whitesox.com, yet espn feels the need to change it to...CHW? Not only does it look stupid but there is no need to ruin the perfectly good C hicago W hite S ox!

They use CWS to abbreviate College World Series and I think that is the reason they dont use it for our beloved Sox. Its really annoying cause they have CWS plastered all over the scrollbar at the bottom of the screen on ESPN, ESPN2 etc and it always grabs my attention cause i think its some breaking sox news!

/rant offThere was a discussion similar to this a few months ago. http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46876

Though I also prefer CWS, I like the fact that we are also known as CHW. Variety, the spice of life.

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2005, 12:46 AM
Haha! I was telling my boyfriend that very same thing today, and he says he thinks the same thing, although he is a Red Sox fan. He was watching the Red Sox game last night on TSN (they don't get ESPN or ESPN2 in Canada), and he thought they were talking about the White Sox when the ticker displayed "CWS."

kevingrt
06-22-2005, 12:49 AM
CWS works but I understand how ESPN uses CHW because of the College World Series. Oh well, funny rant. I like this type of stuff.

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2005, 12:59 AM
CWS works but I understand how ESPN uses CHW because of the College World Series. Oh well, funny rant. I like this type of stuff.

Well, in all fairness, the Chicago White Sox existed before the College World Series, so the Chicago White Sox are the TRUE CWS.

paciorek1983
06-22-2005, 01:41 AM
I've never liked CWS. I prefer CHW.

Rocklive99
06-22-2005, 01:50 AM
The one I hate is CHA, they sometimes used it in the old school video games

skobabe8
06-22-2005, 01:56 AM
Haha! I was telling my boyfriend that very same thing today, and he says he thinks the same thing, although he is a Red Sox fan. He was watching the Red Sox game last night on TSN (they don't get ESPN or ESPN2 in Canada), and he thought they were talking about the White Sox when the ticker displayed "CWS."

Theres your problem!

You can't spell World Series without (C)WS!

batmanZoSo
06-22-2005, 02:01 AM
I am so fed up with the whole CHW thing. The next time I see that I'm hurling a brick at the TV! :angry::o::?::D:

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2005, 03:04 AM
I am so fed up with the whole CHW thing. The next time I see that I'm hurling a brick at the TV! :angry::o::?::D:

Perhaps CHW is supposed to represent Sox fans CHeWing on their fingernails a lot during this season due to the huge number of 1-run ballgames this club has been through? :D:

downstairs
06-22-2005, 08:49 AM
How funny... I was just thinking this 30 seconds ago when I saw a headline about the College World Series (CWS).

In fact, when ESPNews runs their ticker, the "CWS" has its own spot. Sometimes I do a double-take and think "Ok, the Sox are good... but giving them their own category outside of MLB?!"

Yes, "CHW" is correct. I actually assumed there was some convention set by major league baseball, and they would send around a "style guide" of some sort. If not, they should. Conformity on matters like this help casual fans.

downstairs
06-22-2005, 08:50 AM
I've also seen (especially in things from the 70s and before) CHA, CHN for Chicago (American League), Chicago (National League).

That's equally as dumb.

ondafarm
06-22-2005, 09:39 AM
I think it's part of the East coast mentality among much of the baseball media. Yahoo has for years had the White Sox as 'CHA' but never had the Yankees as 'NYA'

davenicholson
06-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Easy, Elvis!

mrfourni
06-22-2005, 09:43 AM
Well, in all fairness, the Chicago White Sox existed before the College World Series, so the Chicago White Sox are the TRUE CWS.

they should just use SOX for our abbreviation, seeing as we were there first (i think):smile:

VeeckAsInWreck
06-22-2005, 01:31 PM

Unfortunately, batmanZoso will do this at Best Buy when the Sox are on WGN!:cool:

scottjanssens
06-22-2005, 01:34 PM
they should just use SOX for our abbreviation, seeing as we were there first (i think):smile:

White Sox were indeed the first Sox in the AL. 1901 for the true Sox, 1907 for the soiled ones. Before Red Sox, Boston was called the Pilgrims, Somersets, and Americans.

batmanZoSo
06-22-2005, 01:35 PM
I think it's part of the East coast mentality among much of the baseball media. Yahoo has for years had the White Sox as 'CHA' but never had the Yankees as 'NYA'

Probably because we have two parts to our nickname. CHW just doesn't satisfy because it reads "Chicago White." CHC is fine to me because it accounts for the entire name.

DumpJerry
06-22-2005, 01:35 PM
I'm just excited that ESPN acknowledges our existence.