PDA

View Full Version : Haha. Brantley & Gammons disagree on which Sox pitcher should start the ASG.

cheeses_h_rice
06-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Mullethead says Garland.

Grandpa says Burly.

(No surprise, Kruk picks a non-Sox in Halladay.)

MRKARNO
06-21-2005, 09:47 PM
I gotta side with Gammo here, but Garland should relieve him in the third :D:

itsjustinf
06-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Wow, Gammons finally wises up, Kruk on the other hand is still stupid. I was surprised that Gammons picked Mark, though. He's usually down on his knees praising Halladay.

White Sox Josh
06-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Mullethead says Garland.

Grandpa says Burly.

(No surprise, Kruk picks a non-Sox in Halladay.)Does Brantley think that Chad Hermanson should go to the All Star Game. What about Clyde Politte?

Cubbiesuck13
06-21-2005, 09:52 PM
C'mon! Mullethead hasn't been right about anything all season. Throw him a bone!

Soxzilla
06-21-2005, 09:56 PM
I think Roy Halladay should start the All-Star Game. Followed by Buehrle, Garland and Rogers in order.

illinibk
06-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Mullethead says Garland.

Grandpa says Burly.

(No surprise, Kruk picks a non-Sox in Halladay.)
They are all right. Any one of them, or Kenny Rogers could start the AS game, and each one would be deserving.

lukesappling
06-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Hey, as far as I'm concerned, the Sox pitchers can stay home a rest up for the second half of the season. On the other hand, if Buehrle and Garland pitch they'll help us get home field advantage for the "you know what!".

Cubbiesuck13
06-21-2005, 10:20 PM
Hey, as far as I'm concerned, the Sox pitchers can stay home a rest up for the second half of the season. On the other hand, if Buehrle and Garland pitch they'll help us get home field advantage for the "you know what!".

That about sums it up for me.

buehrle4cy05
06-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Props to Gammons for not picking Matt Clement.

CubKilla
06-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Winning=Respect

Props to both Buehrle and Garland. Both are equally deserving. Garland for his season thus far, and Buehrle for being the rock the past couple of years in this rotation.

rwcescato
06-21-2005, 11:28 PM

I honestly think the only Sox player will be Garland. They are forced to pick him. I knosw they will cheat Konerko and Hermanson out of spots and Buerhle has a slight chance. Until somehow we can vote our players in the starting lineup I don't see anyone picking our players. But who cares. I just want to win the World Series once in my 41 years and counting lifetime.
Rich

The Wall
06-21-2005, 11:39 PM
I think Roy Halladay should start the All-Star Game. Followed by Buehrle, Garland and Rogers in order.
Grab some bench!

chisoxfanatic
06-21-2005, 11:50 PM

The AL All Star team players will have virtually as much rest as those who didn't get the nod for the All Star team, since there aren't very many players on the NL roster I'd be too worried about...Let's face it...The AL is hands-down MUCH more superior in EVERY single way than the NL...The AL WILL have the home field advantage once again.

kevingrt
06-21-2005, 11:56 PM

I kinda agree with you there, but I also want the nation to see how good Buerhle and Garland are before the deep summer months come. I don't know I'm very iffy on this. But hell if they are both in the game one of them should start it

Soxzilla
06-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Grab some bench!

If you think Jon Garland deserves starting over Roy Halladay, then I'm sorry, you're an idiot. Sure, I love Garland, he's great, and he definitely deserves consideration if Halladay falters, but Roy's numbers are far superior to Garland's in just about every category.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/league_leaders.jsp?c_id=mlb&Submit=Submit&sortByStat=W&baseballScope=AL&statType=2&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2005

There is a link. Halladay has been a freaking monster this year, noone should deny him the right to start the mid-summer classic. If he was a Sox pitcher, I wouldn't doubt he'd have 12-13 wins like Garland.

hold2dibber
06-22-2005, 12:02 AM
If you think Jon Garland deserves starting over Roy Halladay, then I'm sorry, you're an idiot. Sure, I love Garland, he's great, and he definitely deserves consideration if Halladay falters, but Roy's numbers are far superior to Garland's in just about every category.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/league_leaders.jsp?c_id=mlb&Submit=Submit&sortByStat=W&baseballScope=AL&statType=2&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2005

There is a link. Halladay has been a freaking monster this year, noone should deny him the right to start the mid-summer classic. If he was a Sox pitcher, I wouldn't doubt he'd have 12-13 wins like Garland.

But Buehrle's and Halladay's are virtually identical. And as the anchor of the starting rotation of the team with the best record in baseball, I think Buehrle should get the nod. Garland deserves to be on the team (as to Rogers, Colon, Bonderman and Santana, among others), but it's either Buehrle or Halladay to start, as things stand right now.

jhill36
06-22-2005, 12:03 AM

Hilarious!

Chisox003
06-22-2005, 12:04 AM
I dont care what Brantley says, he's still an idiot...

I wish he would continue to just pick against us so the Sox can continue to rub his face in his own ****...

I dont watch BBTN or ESPN anymore, but the times I rarely do this jackass is on...The last time I watched BBTN was the date in my sig

Ill never forget he said that....And I continue to read about his BS on this site....Ohhh man :angry: (CHAD HERMANSON?!?! ***!?)

So Jeff, please, go pick Carl Pavano or Brad Radke or someone not on the Sox and leave the best team in baseball alone! [/rant]

Soxzilla
06-22-2005, 12:05 AM
I think the 10 wins and the strike outs push him over Buehrle. Then again, this could change in the coming weeks, especially with the way Burly-mon has been pitching as of late. I think had Buerhle gotten those 4 ND's and turned them to W's, he'd be the sure fire winner over Halladay.

But as it stands now, Halladay is the man on the mound in that first inning.

Blueprint1
06-22-2005, 12:08 AM

Why do you always have to attack people Soxzilla. Grow up. Oh yeah and I think that Buehrle should start the game.

ClaudelSleptHere
06-22-2005, 12:17 AM

Thank God I agree with you about Halladay, but is that enough to keep me from being an idiot, or do I have to agree with everything you post?

GoRowand33
06-22-2005, 12:21 AM
i think buerhle should start the game but i wouldnt pay any attention to wat the bbtn ppl say.

i bet the show writers just had em all choose some one diffrent

davenicholson
06-22-2005, 08:44 AM
I admit that I don't watch the show very often, but I did last night. Didn't it seem that each expert was assigned one of the three and had 30 seconds to defend "their" choice?

wdelaney72
06-22-2005, 09:01 AM
they will cheat Konerko and Hermanson out of spots

Konerko and his .250 batting average on the all-star team?
:bong:

rdivaldi
06-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Konerko and his .250 batting average on the all-star team?

No, but his 18 home runs, 52 rbis, and .362 OBP do.

quade36
06-22-2005, 09:59 AM
HKonerko and his .250 batting average on the all-star team?

Hey Tino Martinez will be the starting 1B and he has a .226 BA 12 HRs and 32 RBIs

wdelaney72
06-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Another argument as to why fans should not be voting all-stars.

Mark Teixeira - Texas Rangers
20 HR
58 RBI
.296 AVG
.365 OBP

White Sox Josh
06-22-2005, 12:52 PM
AL:
Mark Buehrle (8-1, 2.67)- Start the All Star Game
Jon Garland (12-2, 3.40)
Matt Clement (8-1, 3.48)
Roy Halladay (10-4, 2.53)
Kenny Rogers (9-2, 1.98)
Jeremy Bonderman (9-4, 3.68)
Cliff Politte (5-0, 1.32)
Eddie Guardado (19 SVs, 1.38)
B.J. Ryan (18 SVs, 1.87)
Bob Wickman 20 SVs

NL:
Dontrelle Willis (11-2, 1.92)
Roger Clemens (5-3, 1.53)
Adam Eaton (9-2, 3.42)
Livan Hernandez (10-2, 3.38)
Chris Carpenter (10-4, 3.01)
Pedro Martinez (7-2, 2.76)
Matt Morris (8-0, 3.16)
Jake Peavy (6-2, 2.56)
Chad Cordero (22 SVs, 1.03)
Jason Isringhausen (21 SVs, 1.93)
Ray King (8 HLDS, 2.84)

Tragg
06-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Another argument as to why fans should not be voting all-stars.

Mark Teixeira - Texas Rangers
20 HR
58 RBI
.296 AVG
.365 OBP

Better numbers than Konerko's but not that much better. I've seen far greater injustices in all star selecting than picking Konerko over Teixeira. I'd like to see the team that has dominated the AL have more than 2 all stars this year.

Hangar18
06-22-2005, 01:01 PM
AL:
Mark Buehrle (8-1, 2.67)- Start the All Star Game
Jon Garland (12-2, 3.40)
Matt Clement (8-1, 3.48)
Roy Halladay (10-4, 2.53)
Kenny Rogers (9-2, 1.98)
Jeremy Bonderman (9-4, 3.68)
Cliff Politte (5-0, 1.32)
Eddie Guardado (19 SVs, 1.38)
B.J. Ryan (18 SVs, 1.87)
Bob Wickman 20 SVs

*Sighs* I remember how BADLY I wanted Kenny Rogers on this team ....
Can you imagine what we'd be like if we did sign him?

Buehrle
Garcia
Rogers
Contreras
Garland

RallyBowl
06-22-2005, 01:02 PM
I think Roy Halladay should start the All-Star Game. Followed by Buehrle, Garland and Rogers in order.You sir, are a damn fool.

Tragg
06-22-2005, 01:03 PM

Buehrle
Garcia
Rogers
Contreras
Garland

Or Matt Clement, someone we purportedly pursued but definitely lowballed.

White Sox Josh
06-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Or Matt Clement, someone we purportedly pursued but definitely lowballed.they didn't lowball him. What happened was that they spent all of there energy on getting RJ and didn't make a bid on Clement until it was to late.

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2005, 01:09 PM

Buehrle
Garcia
Rogers
Contreras
Garland

I too would LOVE Rogers on the Sox, but I'm not sure he's come here. A few years ago, he refused to be traded to the Reds for a chance to pitch in a playoff race because he wanted to stay in Texas. But your point is taken - when the Rangers refused to re-sign him a few years ago he went to the Twins for a year. The Sox definitely should have inked him that year.

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2005, 01:10 PM
they didn't lowball him. What happened was that they spent all of there energy on getting RJ and didn't make a bid on Clement until it was to late.

Looking back, thank goodness the Sox didn't get RJ....

wdelaney72
06-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Or Matt Clement, someone we purportedly pursued but definitely lowballed.

I wouldn't say we low-balled. Clement wanted to go to Boston.

Soxzilla
06-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Thank God I agree with you about Halladay, but is that enough to keep me from being an idiot, or do I have to agree with everything you post?

Because I said that right? But that is ok, if you want to agree with me on everything, cool, I'm usually right. Stick with me and you will be OK.

Blueprint, I still stand by my comment that if you think Jon Garland should start over Roy Halladay, then you're an idiot. That isn't an attack, Blueprint, it is a declaration. And it is truth, Roy Halladay's season has been amazing, moreso than Jon Garland.

It is like saying someone who pisses on an electric fence is an idiot, I mean, are they not?

So quit your whining.

Tragg
06-22-2005, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't say we low-balled. Clement wanted to go to Boston.
We did bid lower than Boston and lower than what at least I thought he'd go for in the open market. And I remember the opposite story going around - how he wanted so to stay in Chicago......

FredManrique
06-22-2005, 05:05 PM
I think the 10 wins and the strike outs push him over Buehrle. Then again, this could change in the coming weeks, especially with the way Burly-mon has been pitching as of late. I think had Buerhle gotten those 4 ND's and turned them to W's, he'd be the sure fire winner over Halladay.

But as it stands now, Halladay is the man on the mound in that first inning.

I think Buehrle helped his cause today. I was leaning toward Halladay, but then I saw that Mark's gotten through six innings in 43 straight starts. That's worthy of an All-Start start to me.

Dibbs
06-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Brantley just called Garcia...."Freddy Guzman"....this guy is really started to make me laugh.

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Better numbers than Konerko's but not that much better. I've seen far greater injustices in all star selecting than picking Konerko over Teixeira. I'd like to see the team that has dominated the AL have more than 2 all stars this year.

Amen! The difference between Konerko and Teixeira is that Konerko produces when it counts. Lots of Tiexeira's production's come when Texas really doesn't need any more offense (they have a feast or famine offense). Konerko's super clutch...when it counts!

downstairs
06-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Here's my opinion:

Garland (innings 1-3)
Buehrle (innings 4-5)
Garcia (inning 6)
Politte (inning 7)
Cotts (inning 8)
Hermanson (inning 9)

(Roy Hala-who??)

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Here's my opinion:

Garland (innings 1-3)
Buehrle (innings 4-5)
Garcia (inning 6)
Politte (inning 7)
Cotts (inning 8)
Hermanson (inning 9)

(Roy Hala-who??)

The bottom of the 9th won't even be needed. The AL will spank the NL, giving us home field advantage in the World Series WHEN (*tapping Sox earrings*) our Sox are there.

Ol' No. 2
06-22-2005, 06:45 PM
I too would LOVE Rogers on the Sox, but I'm not sure he's come here. A few years ago, he refused to be traded to the Reds for a chance to pitch in a playoff race because he wanted to stay in Texas. But your point is taken - when the Rangers refused to re-sign him a few years ago he went to the Twins for a year. The Sox definitely should have inked him that year.You may change your mind about the Gambler in a few months. He's always been an early season pitcher. Monthly ERA splits over the last three years:

April: 3.24
May: 3.67
June: 4.58
July: 6.05
Aug: 4.78
Sept: 4.11
Oct: 5.40

His BAA gets up around .290-.300 in the second half, too.

Mark'sBrokenFoot
06-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Blueprint, I still stand by my comment that if you think Jon Garland should start over Roy Halladay, then you're an idiot. That isn't an attack, Blueprint, it is a declaration.

I said basically the same thing with my first post and the mod not only jumped down my throat, he started a thread about how new posters suck. Seeing as your post count is really high, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

CubsSuckSoBad
06-22-2005, 08:41 PM

What?

pczarapa
06-22-2005, 09:08 PM
Wow, Gammons finally wises up, Kruk on the other hand is still stupid. I was surprised that Gammons picked Mark, though. He's usually down on his knees praising Halladay.

While I liked Kruk as a player, he's a buffoon as an analyst

MeanFish
06-22-2005, 09:34 PM

Halladay isn't a bad pick. However, the thing I dont like about it is that it's usually made by AL East panderers who go out of their way to keep All-Stars in the ALE any way they can.

spongyfungy
06-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Rogers got rocked today by the Angels. 3 1/3 10 h 6 ER

Buehrle 1.02 WHIP 2.56 ERA 11 QS
Rogers 1.19 WHIP before tonight's game 2.46 ERA 12 QS
Halladay .95 WHIP 2.53 ERA 11 QS

All are good choices.

Cubbiesuck13
06-22-2005, 11:24 PM

Kruck is a quit on his team in the middle of an inning. He decided that having a .300 career average was more important than finishing out the season, game and the inning. He can go pound sand for all I care.

Soxzilla
06-23-2005, 12:06 AM
I think Buehrle helped his cause today. I was leaning toward Halladay, but then I saw that Mark's gotten through six innings in 43 straight starts. That's worthy of an All-Start start to me.

Definitely. I think Buehrle and Halladay are going to take it down to the final start respectively. Right now I can't decide, I think I still give Halladay the edge, but mercy! We'll see what happens.

If I had to divulge my full rotation for the all-star game, it would go a little something like this (Since some people seem to think, after one of my previous posts, I'd only have 4 pitchers pitch the whole game....:rolleyes:).

1 : Roy Halladay
2 : Mark Buehrle
3 : Jon Garland
4 : Kenny Rogers
5 : Matt Clement
6 : Bartolo Colon
7 : Johan Santana
8 : Eddie Guardado
9 : B.J. Ryan

Reserves:
Jeremy Bonderman
Dustin Hermanson
Bob Wickman

Soxzilla
06-23-2005, 12:12 AM
I said basically the same thing with my first post and the mod not only jumped down my throat, he started a thread about how new posters suck. Seeing as your post count is really high, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I hold no clout here with some of the mods.

CPditka
06-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Did anyone watch the Postgame from todays game against the Royals... Ozzie said something like Terry Francona called him to ask him which one of the two should start the AS Game...

I found this very intresting, but I couldnt catch the comment in its entirety (if he was being sarcastic, etc.) only b/c our power went out for like 10 seconds right during the comment.

Intresting regardless

ilsox7
06-23-2005, 12:26 AM
Did anyone watch the Postgame from todays game against the Royals... Ozzie said something like Terry Francona called him to ask him which one of the two should start the AS Game...

I found this very intresting, but I couldnt catch the comment in its entirety (if he was being sarcastic, etc.) only b/c our power went out for like 10 seconds right during the comment.

Intresting regardless

No that's not what he said. He said Francona called and left him a voice mail and Ozzie hasn't talked to him yet, but wants JG and MB to be selected and not pitch in the game.