PDA

View Full Version : "He Gone!" - National Phenomenon?

Norberto7
06-21-2005, 10:27 PM
On the cnnsi.com baseball page, they have a link to a story about the Reds firing of manager Dave Miley entitled "He gone! Reds fire Miley, promote Narron". Has "He gone!" gone global? I guess this is better posed to those outside of the Chicago market.

Is there a more fun catchphrase to say? Not that I know of!

link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/)

NDSox12
06-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Haha, I love it!

Dibbs
06-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Are you kidding me, Hawk suks!

DarkCloudDropo
06-21-2005, 11:01 PM
I don't believe Hawk started that phrase. I know I've heard that long before now.

cheeses_h_rice
06-21-2005, 11:03 PM
I don't believe Hawk started that phrase. I know I've heard that long before now.

Really? I think it's entirely Hawk's. He took it from "Gas! He's gone!" to the now-infamous "Hegawn!"

Has anyone heard of any other announcer doing anything remotely similar? I haven't.

DarkCloudDropo
06-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Really? I think it's entirely Hawk's. He took it from "Gas! He's gone!" to the now-infamous "Hegawn!"

Has anyone heard of any other announcer doing anything remotely similar? I haven't.

I don't know that I heard it from any announcer, and hawk has certainly given it new life, but I know i've heard it long before now. I just can't remember where.

Buehrle > Wood
06-21-2005, 11:16 PM
I think He Gone! has become pretty big...tonight a female friend of my said "He Gone!" outta nowhere and had no idea where it originated...

Brian26
06-21-2005, 11:19 PM
I don't know that I heard it from any announcer, and hawk has certainly given it new life, but I know i've heard it long before now. I just can't remember where.

Hawk created it 100%. You're wrong.

firejauron
06-21-2005, 11:24 PM
I was at a little league game the other night and everytime someone on the other team struck out, the catcher yelled, "HE GONE!"

Norberto7
06-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Hawk created it 100%. You're wrong.

That is what I think. I kinda remember that morphing from "Grab some bench" to "He's gone" to the cutting out of the contraction to that phrase we know and love today. My mom thought it was the stupidest thing. She wrong!

Brian26
06-21-2005, 11:28 PM
That is what I think. I kinda remember that morphing from "Grab some bench" to "He's gone" to the cutting out of the contraction to that phrase we know and love today. My mom thought it was the stupidest thing. She wrong!

Exactly. The "Gas! He's Gone...he'll grab some bench" morphed into "Gas! He's gone."...which morphed into "He Gawn!" last year.

gosox83
06-21-2005, 11:44 PM
My favorite is when Hawk flips it around every once in a while and says. "HeGawn" then pauses and goes "GASSSSSS!"

GO SOX!!

Frankfan4life
06-22-2005, 12:20 AM
That is what I think. I kinda remember that morphing from "Grab some bench" to "He's gone" to the cutting out of the contraction to that phrase we know and love today. My mom thought it was the stupidest thing. She wrong!That's the way I remember it. My son used to make fun of Hawk alternating between He's Gone and He Gone. It has become a popular phrase now and is used on other baseball message boards. I never heard of anyone using that phrase in that manner before Hawk.

Thunderstruck30
06-22-2005, 12:33 AM
Tony Reali always says it on Around The Horn. It really bothers Mariotti.

34rancher
06-22-2005, 12:38 AM
The other Hawkism that has morphed nationally is "You can Put it on the Board". The ESPN guys always like to say it with Hawk or during Sox highlights.
I LUUUUV HAWK....

scottyl
06-22-2005, 12:42 AM
It's the Hawkaroo's. If he didn't create it, it's his now, but he was the first person I ever heard use it. (It's all about the intonation).

Hawk...YEESSS!

clee-hegone
06-22-2005, 01:37 AM
i have actually brought it too the xbox live world. when playing over the net with other players whether its a sports game or a game where the focus is killing your opponents i commonly use hawks " he gone" now lately i hear all the time.

Soxaholic
06-22-2005, 01:43 AM
i have actually brought it too the xbox live world. when playing over the net with other players whether its a sports game or a game where the focus is killing your opponents i commonly use hawks " he gone" now lately i hear all the time.

Nothing better than to waste someone in Halo and yell "HE GONE!"

skobabe8
06-22-2005, 01:51 AM

hahahaha...thats pretty sweet. I remember when Hawk dropped the 's' in 'He's Gone.' I couldnt understand it at first, but its absolutely blown up since. I love how it bugs people. You know it bugs other teams when they use it against us. (Chip and Steve in one of the crosstown games last year)

Norberto7
06-22-2005, 09:14 AM
You know it bugs other teams when they use it against us. (Chip and Steve in one of the crosstown games last year)

Haha, did they really? I didn't know that.

downstairs
06-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Don't forget which team started the whole deal where you sing "Na, Na, Na, Na... Hey, Hey, Hey.... Goooood Byyyye!"

I've seen that for years on all sorts of non-sports things. Game shows, etc.

downstairs
06-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Haha, did they really? I didn't know that.

Check out the Cub boards sometime. They HATE hawkisms. (And, as least in my opinion, that's the whole point of them!)

CubsSuckSoBad
06-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Everyone is saying it and it FEELS REAL GOOD....

Most people dont know where it came from...

When I tell them its from a White Sox announcer, Hawk, they say "Nuh uh"

But Alas, this true....

Moronotti hates it....I've heard it everywhere....Here's to hawk:gulp:

Baby Fisk
06-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Fie on those who would heave the Hawk. When he calls a game, it's like watching with your favourite kooky uncle/grandpappy who luvvvvs the Sox!

There's a new one appearing with increased regularity in the Hawk Lexicon, derived from his "Stay Fair!" call:

:hawk
"Get down! It will!"

davenicholson
06-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Tony Reali always says it on Around The Horn. It really bothers Mariotti.
I couldn't help myself last night--I watched our favorite baseball experts on ESPN. While showing a game summary, there was mention of a lot of "crooked numbers" being put up. These days, Hawk is very much Superchicken: He's everywhere! He's everywhere!

Brian26
06-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Another new morphing on the Hawk "stretch" call has recently officially arrived:

"High and deep, stretch....GET ON BACK THERE...."

downstairs
06-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Fie on those who would heave the Hawk. When he calls a game, it's like watching with your favourite kooky uncle/grandpappy who luvvvvs the Sox!

There's a new one appearing with increased regularity in the Hawk Lexicon, derived from his "Stay Fair!" call:

"Get down! It will!"

I luuuuuuv it when Hawk says "It will."

daveeym
06-22-2005, 10:32 AM
Hawk created it 100%. You're wrong.Oh please it's South speak, but Hawk is the reason it's up there with shady, Ginormous, and Chica-rearrrr in today's lexicon.

34rancher
06-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Yeah, but we all know as soon as someone on the broadcast dial of the northside team uses it, there will be some national attention to how they have been using it since 1908 (ala singing Take me Out to the Ballgame). :angry:

Takatsufan
06-22-2005, 10:47 AM
What about"can of corn", when refering to an easy pop up or play? I think that could explode. Or has it already been used by somone else? I don't know.

Brian26
06-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Oh please it's South speak, but Hawk is the reason it's up there with shady, Ginormous, and Chica-rearrrr in today's lexicon.

Of course it's south speak, but that particular phrase was created by Hawk. I'm not saying Hawk invented southern dialect or is the inspiration for anyone who has a twang in their voice. The specific phrase "He Gone" is from Hawk.

Brian26
06-22-2005, 10:51 AM
What about"can of corn", when refering to an easy pop up or play? I think that could explode. Or has it already been used by somone else? I don't know.

Hawk did not invent "can of corn". That's been around for years...he tells the story of it's origin about once a month in response to viewer emails.

Tom~Attitude
06-22-2005, 11:02 AM

I'm pretty sure that "can of corn" has been around a long time. Remember hearing that when I was a kid. Hawk would of been one too.

One new term that I've heard him use a couple times is "That ball took a Bolingbrook bounce" Seems to be a grounder that pops up in the infield. Since Hawk is a big golfer, I'd think it might relate to his time spent at the B'Brook Golf Club.

daveeym
06-22-2005, 11:03 AM
What about"can of corn", when refering to an easy pop up or play? I think that could explode. Or has it already been used by somone else? I don't know. That's OOOOOLD Schooool baseball lingo.

Dibbs
06-22-2005, 11:26 AM

"He gone" is by far the most fun to say of all the Hawk's phrases. That is the reason "He Gone!" exploded.....everybody is saying it.

I was golfing last weekend and when a guy lost his ball teeing off, he says, "He Gone!"

You can use it for just about anything!

Norberto7
06-22-2005, 11:54 AM
Oh please it's South speak, but Hawk is the reason it's up there with shady, Ginormous, and Chica-rearrrr in today's lexicon.

I don't think that anyone here is saying that Hawk is the first person on this earth to put the two words together. I think the point is, as far as anyone can tell, Hawk did not borrow the phrase from anyone, and he is 100% responsible for its popularity. As has been mentioned before, the call has a definite evolution that defies the notion that it was borrowed or ripped off of someone else.

And it is definitely adaptable and ubiquitous!

Sxy Mofo
06-22-2005, 12:01 PM
I only get the games on wgn but does hawk pull out the "he'll grab some bench" much anymore?

I actually like that better. Sometimes he used the combination.

Hangar18
06-22-2005, 01:58 PM

NOPE. That call is completely and originally Hawk's. It indeed morphed
from GAS, Hes Gone! to ......HE GAWN!!! Padre fans were wondering
what we were alluding to everytime we Chanted that in the stands. They also were mildly amused when we started singing NANANANA HEY HEY Goodbye
in the 8th and 9th innings of the Friday nite game.

Just another example of how Original the White Sox really are .....and how
many CONTRIBUTIONS the White Sox have made to Major League Baseball.

* 7th inning Stretch/Take Me Out TO The Ballgame
* Curtain Calls after HomeRuns
* NaNaNaNa HeyHeyHey Goodbye singing
* He Gawn
* Sleepover Nites
* Turn Back The Clock Games
* 70's Nites
* Exploding Scoreboards w/ FIREWORKS
* Individual Player Intro's
* Novel Announcers (Harry Caray/Jimmy Piersall/Hawk Harrelson)
* Nancy Faust

Note how many of the following the Cubs have latched onto .....

The Dude
06-22-2005, 02:07 PM

Nice, I always used that for Halo 2 when I killed someone. People didnt like it one bit.

shoota
06-23-2005, 04:22 AM
* He Gawn
* Sleepover Nites
* 70's Nites
* Nancy Faust

Is this one of those lists where we're supposed to point out the one that doesn't fit? Individual player intros is not a good addition to a baseball team, in fact, it's a horrible idea.

Did the Sox really start the 7th inning stretch?

iamkoza
06-23-2005, 05:25 AM
IF only I had a .wav file of "I love email" It would be my new email alert sound

Wsoxmike59
06-23-2005, 06:43 AM
Just another example of how Original the White Sox really are .....and how
many CONTRIBUTIONS the White Sox have made to Major League Baseball.

* He Gawn
* Sleepover Nites
* 70's Nites
* Nancy Faust

You can add this one to your list Hangar

* 1st MLB team to put players NAMES on the backs of jersies

Baby Fisk
06-23-2005, 09:05 AM
One more for Hangar's list:

1990 Turn-Back-the-Clock Day at Old Comiskey launched the craze of TBTC Days and retro uniforms.

wsbaseball9
06-23-2005, 09:10 AM
on sportscenter when they do sox clips and some K's the announder kept saying it

and hegawn

TornLabrum
06-23-2005, 09:56 AM
Is this one of those lists where we're supposed to point out the one that doesn't fit? Individual player intros is not a good addition to a baseball team, in fact, it's a horrible idea.

Did the Sox really start the 7th inning stretch?

Nancy started playing TMOTTBG during the 7th inning stretch (which itself started with the Washington Senators during the Taft presidency when Taft got up to stretch in the 7th inning). Bill Veeck gave the microphone to Harry Caray in '77.

MarkZ35
06-23-2005, 06:49 PM
This entire past week I've been working a baseball camp at Lincoln Way East with kids ages rangeing from about 8-15 and I've heard He Gawn about a thousand times whenever kids are on defense or pitching and You Can Put It On The Board another thousand times when kids are hitting. I think it's even in Cub fans vocabulary now too.

wsbaseball9
06-23-2005, 07:44 PM
tony reali used it on around the horn earlier today when cut bill plashke or w/e from the show

scottyl
06-23-2005, 10:56 PM
IF only I had a .wav file of "I love email" It would be my new email alert sound

Awesome idea. Somebody has to get a .wav of that!

SOXintheBURGH
06-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Nancy started playing TMOTTBG during the 7th inning stretch (which itself started with the Washington Senators during the Taft presidency when Taft got up to stretch in the 7th inning). Bill Veeck gave the microphone to Harry Caray in '77.

Taft!

:gulp:

:threadrules:

SOXintheBURGH
06-23-2005, 11:46 PM
This entire past week I've been working a baseball camp at Lincoln Way East with kids ages rangeing from about 8-15 and I've heard He Gawn about a thousand times whenever kids are on defense or pitching and You Can Put It On The Board another thousand times when kids are hitting. I think it's even in Cub fans vocabulary now too.

Good to hear it. I remember going to Lincoln-Way East and it was rare to find a Cub fan in a classroom.. it was probably 24 Sox to 2 Cub fans among the youth. Hawk rules!

Norberto7
06-24-2005, 12:46 AM

Interesting! So the 7th inning stretch was sans music for some 65 years? I just cannot imagine it without Ozzy Osbourne and Jeff Gordon!