http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gameLog?gameId=250621110

Kogs35
06-21-2005, 08:24 PM
10-2 right now johnson is out

beckett21
06-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Somebody run and get me a tissue. :whiner:

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. :supernana:

On a more serious note, can someone please explain to me why Mel Stottlemyre is still employed? Every star pitcher that goes there turns into a slug. :?:

Chicago83
06-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Yankees return the favor to the Ray's bullpen. It's to bad that the Rays suck worse than the Yankees.

Chisox003
06-21-2005, 10:38 PM
D Rays lead 11-7 going into the 8th...

Oh wait, 13 runs by the yanks....20-11

Go Bears!!

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-21-2005, 10:40 PM
oh my goodness

ATXBMX
06-21-2005, 10:41 PM
I can't believe the D-Rays suck that bad...back-to-back...to-back...unbelievable...what a sorry excuse for a AAA team.

Cubbiesuck13
06-21-2005, 10:55 PM

On a more serious note, can someone please explain to me why Mel Stottlemyre is still employed? Every star pitcher that goes there turns into a slug. :?:

Clemens? Wasn't David Cone thought to be washed up before going on a tear there?

The Racehorse
06-21-2005, 11:03 PM
Great to see a Red Ass get taken out behind the woodshed. :cool:

MRKARNO
06-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Clemens? Wasn't David Cone thought to be washed up before going on a tear there?

Clemens

Tor 97 2.05 ERA
Tor 98 2.65 ERA
NYY 99 4.60 ERA
NYY 00 3.70 ERA

Cone

93 KC 3.33 ERA
94 KC 2.94 ERA
95 TOR/NYY 3.57 ERA
96 NYY 2.88 ERA

Basically, a negative effect on Clemens (if aging was the issue, then why is he having a ridiculous level of success in Houston?) and no effect on Cone. The ballpark probably effected Cone more than Stottlemyer

Cubbiesuck13
06-21-2005, 11:06 PM
Clemens

Tor 97 2.05 ERA
Tor 98 2.65 ERA
NYY 99 4.60 ERA
NYY 00 3.70 ERA

Cone

93 KC 3.33 ERA
94 KC 2.94 ERA
95 TOR/NYY 3.57 ERA
96 NYY 2.88 ERA

Basically, a negative effect on Clemens (if aging was the issue, then why is he having a ridiculous level of success in Houston?) and no effect on Cone. The ballpark probably effected Cone more than Stottlemyer

Thanks.

samram
06-21-2005, 11:10 PM

I think you and I have discussed this before, and the only thing we came up with is that Mel is one of Torre's guys. He's not good at being a pitching coach, that's for sure.

Cubbiesuck13
06-21-2005, 11:13 PM
I think you and I have discussed this before, and the only thing we came up with is that Mel is one of Torre's guys. He's not good at being a pitching coach, that's for sure.

Would Torre be considered a good manager is he didn't have the players that Brian Cashman brings in?
Would Cashman be considered a good general manager if he didn't have the money that George Stienbrenner spends? Is he considered a good general manager anyways?

oeo
06-21-2005, 11:14 PM
The Yankees can not win a game in the division

down 7-1 to the Devil Dogs already

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gameLog?gameId=250621110

Mwahahahah. This makes the Flubs look so bad, although I already knew they were.

Viva Medias B's
06-21-2005, 11:25 PM
:hawk
"Sweet Lou ain't a happy camper tonight."

beckett21
06-22-2005, 12:27 AM

Yes we have discussed it before. It boggles my mind that he is still around. He must just be one of those organizational guys who is bulletproof. I didn't know such a thing existed in King George's world.

There has to be some explanation as to why guys like Brown, Mussina, Pavano, Weaver and Johnson seem to suffer such a steep decline in production when they put on the pinstripes. Johnson and Mussina's numbers aren't awful, but certainly not as good as what they were putting up in their pre-Yankee days.

Of course, when you score 13 runs in an inning, you are going to win a lot of games regardless. :o:

Just so long as they don't get any ideas about bringing Don Cooper in, it's all good with me. I enjoy watching their high priced talent crash and burn. :cool:

Mendoza Line
06-22-2005, 08:33 AM
I couldn't care less about the Yankees or the D-Rays... but Jon Garland's amazing game is overshadowed by a crazy inning by a mediocre team. Oh well, its not like I couldn't see that coming after I saw the box score last night..

fquaye149
06-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Yes we have discussed it before. It boggles my mind that he is still around. He must just be one of those organizational guys who is bulletproof. I didn't know such a thing existed in King George's world.

There has to be some explanation as to why guys like Brown, Mussina, Pavano, Weaver and Johnson seem to suffer such a steep decline in production when they put on the pinstripes. Johnson and Mussina's numbers aren't awful, but certainly not as good as what they were putting up in their pre-Yankee days.

Of course, when you score 13 runs in an inning, you are going to win a lot of games regardless. :o:

Just so long as they don't get any ideas about bringing Don Cooper in, it's all good with me. I enjoy watching their high priced talent crash and burn. :cool:

I could give you three reasons why pitchers decline in NY that has nothing to do with Stottlemeyer (spelling?)

1.) The distractions of the NY media circus. Yes this is an old excuse, but when a pitcher knows every bad pitch will be dissected, it's a lot of pressure to make good pitches.

2.) Yankee stadium is a pitcher's park

3.) When a pitcher gets a lot of run support, it's harder to stay razor sharp on the mound. In fact, when you have a multi run lead, as a pitcher you're just supposed to make sure you don't walk people.

1 and 2 would explain outings like Johnson's (although it was at Tampa Bay). 3 would explain the general trend to higher ERA's

I still believe it's Mel's fault and that a better pitching coach would take care of these problems.

ChiSoxRowand
06-22-2005, 01:40 PM
[QUOTE=fquaye149]2.) Yankee stadium is a pitcher's park
QUOTE]

How would that make pitchers decline?

SOX ADDICT '73
06-22-2005, 01:56 PM
I realize the main purpose of this thread is to point out the suckiness of the Yankee pitching staff...but the sadistic side of me just had to lurk on the D-Rays message board to see what their fans thought about the colossal 8th-inning meltdown.

Pretty funny!

Some of them appear ready to blow their brains out. Makes the Ragers and Dark Clouds around here sound like they're on lithium. The difference, of course, is that D-Rays fans have sufficient reason to complain.

fquaye149
06-22-2005, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=fquaye149]2.) Yankee stadium is a pitcher's park
QUOTE]

How would that make pitchers decline?

because fquaye149 had a brain fart. Yankees stadium is the opposite of a pitcher's park:redface: :redface: :redface:

Fenway
06-22-2005, 04:30 PM
[QUOTE=fquaye149]
1 and 2 would explain outings like Johnson's (although it was at Tampa Bay). 3 would explain the general trend to higher ERA's
QUOTE]
last night was in the Bronx
http://nydailynews.com/images/heads/rope0622.jpg (http://nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/index.html)

but NYY still loses the series to the Fighting Seaweed

NEW YORK -- The Devil Rays defeated the Yankees, 5-3, in front of 48,452 on Wednesday afternoon at Yankee Stadium.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20050622&content_id=1099997&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

ChiSoxRowand
06-22-2005, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=ChiSoxRowand]

because fquaye149 had a brain fart. Yankees stadium is the opposite of a pitcher's park:redface: :redface: :redface:

Actually, it is really only a hitters park for lefties with that short porch in right. The home run totals will always be high there because of the home team.