PDA

View Full Version : Juan Pierre

Madvora
06-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Any ideas where this dude will wind up?

Cbssportsline.com rumor mill section cites the NYTimes...

The Yankees might be able to land Marlins CF Juan Pierre if they dangle reliever Tom Gordon, says the New York Times.
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR

I'm more concerned about him ending up with the Cubs. I don't want that. I loved this guy in the World Series 2 years ago. I would hate to see him up North. Having him on the Yankees would suck too.
I'd love to have him, but we don't have room for him.
He's only hitting .253 this year with a $3.7 million contract

ChiSoxRowand
06-22-2005, 12:38 AM
Juan Pierre is my favorite player. I really hope he doesn't end up with the Cubs or Yankees. I doubt they will trade him though (as long as they are in the race). He is their catalyst, just like Pods is for us.

Jjav829
06-22-2005, 12:56 AM
I know the Marlins need bullpen help, but IMO trading Pierre isn't the way to go about gettin that help. Yes, he's struggled this year, but he's still the heart of the Marlins team. If they are going to win the NL East, they're going to do it because Pierre starts getting on base and sparking their offense. Of course they'll also need a healthy Josh Beckett. IMO, the Fish would be better off using prospects to go get a guy like Baez or Affeldt. Either that or wait for the Indians to decide that they built themselves too big of a hole to compete this year and hope to grab Howry or Wickman from them.

Rocklive99
06-22-2005, 01:21 AM
I have always liked Pierre, and always wanted him in a Sox uniform, but then I discovered Pods:cool:

batmanZoSo
06-22-2005, 01:57 AM
I have always liked Pierre, and always wanted him in a Sox uniform, but then I discovered Pods:cool:

Pods in left, Pierre in center, Rowand in Right.

chisoxfan64
06-22-2005, 02:09 AM

Nice, very nice.

daveeym
06-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Nice, very nice.Blechh, all nice players individually but I don't like what that does to our overall scheme.

fquaye149
06-22-2005, 12:56 PM

I'll take what we've got.

JB98
06-22-2005, 01:01 PM

Yuck. Very little power in that outfielder. Now that Podsednik is here, we don't need Pierre.

Why would the Marlins trade that guy? There are only a few true leadoff men in the game, and he is one. Guys like that are gold, especially with home runs being down around the league this year.

batmanZoSo
06-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Yuck. Very little power in that outfielder. Now that Podsednik is here, we don't need Pierre.

Why would the Marlins trade that guy? There are only a few true leadoff men in the game, and he is one. Guys like that are gold, especially with home runs being down around the league this year.

Pierre is an even better leadoff hitter than Podsednik, though not quite the basestealer (he usually gets a paltry 45 or so). Those two at the top of the order would be murder on pitchers.

And I forgot to add that in that scenario we get Beltre for Crede straight up in a separate trade.

It worked for me in MVP. :bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2005, 01:51 PM

That would be one hell of a defensive outfield. I think Ozzie would like it very much as well. Of course this is deeppink pipedreaming, but either Pods or Pierre could lead off, giving the Sox a speed tandem that would be even faster than what they had with Tim Raines leading off and Lance Johnson batting ninth. That combination seemed to work pretty well, yes?

Rich McKinney
06-23-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm sure I'll take a lot of flack for this, but I think dealing Rowand for Pierre would be a great deal for the Sox. Imagine Podsednik and Pierre at the top of the order. I like Rowand a lot, but Pierre can win titles.

Chicago83
06-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Pierre, are you drinking? Pierre is a very similar player to Pods, usually better but not this year. There is absolutely no reason to get Pierre. Dye is killing the ball, Rowand is clutch, and Pods is rickey henderson out there. Our OF is solid, if we make a trade we should get another arm, a backup 1B, or a 3B.

batmanZoSo
06-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Pierre, are you drinking? Pierre is a very similar player to Pods, usually better but not this year. There is absolutely no reason to get Pierre. Dye is killing the ball, Rowand is clutch, and Pods is rickey henderson out there. Our OF is solid, if we make a trade we should get another arm, a backup 1B, or a 3B.'

From a realistic standpoint, it's probably not a good idea because we've shown that we need whatever power we have on this team. But if we had a third baseman who could hit at least as well as a Konerko, having Pierre and Podsednik could easily work.

It would be @#$% deadly to have those two on the basepaths all the time. Ideally, it's better to get a little more power out of your outfield and if you're going to have two slap hitters with great speed, let one be an infielder (like FLA does with Pierre and Castillo). But in theory, Pierre and Pods in the outfield could be gold...you just have to stock up on power at other positions. Teams just don't know how to defend great basestealers anymore (if they ever truly did). We've all seen how Pods gets in these pitchers' heads every night and all the chaos that ensues. Pierre would merely double our fun.

Maybe this makes this conversation moot speculation, but I have to defend my virtual GM decisions. :cool:

PicktoCLick72
06-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Pierre for Rowand? Lay off the bong my friend. Having Pods is the same thing as having Pierre. Why in the world would we need Pierre. I know small ball is helping this year, but eliminating power for our outfield with some of the respective lineups is just plain stupid.

NonetheLoaiza
06-23-2005, 07:22 PM

I don't know. I'll take what we got. Dye is hot. Why take him out of the lineup?

samram
06-23-2005, 09:00 PM
And I forgot to add that in that scenario we get Beltre for Crede straight up in a separate trade.

You are a damn genius, ZoSo, a genius, I say!:D: And if they can't get Beltre, just bench Crede and let Ozuna play.