PDA

View Full Version : Buzz/Excitement Around the Cell

Cellview22
06-21-2005, 02:28 PM
When will we start really feeling the buzz around the Cell on game days?

It's still too early in the season to get overly optimistic and say we have the division wrapped up.. but we're almost there. Eight games up and 25 games over .500. This is a truly special season..a truly special team.. and we're on the verge of major excitement on the South Side.

Last Monday against the D'backs was the most recent game I attended, and to me, it felt like every other year before gametime. I can't wait for that feeling in the air that gives you goosebumps and lets you know 'this is history in the making' as soon as you step off the Red Line. Once we start feeling the major buzz on the South Side, I think everyone will want to be there, every night we'll see a packed house! I wanna feel that "we're heading to the playoffs" buzz.

mjmcend
06-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Did I fall asleep for three months, or is it still June, the division is nowhere near wrapped up. We are playing amazing baseball but lets not rest on our laurels yet (not that the Sox are doing it, I mean as fans/WSI nutcases).

Rocky Soprano
06-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Did I fall asleep for three months, or is it still June, the division is nowhere near wrapped up. We are playing amazing baseball but lets not rest on our laurels yet (not that the Sox are doing it, I mean as fans/WSI nutcases).

I could of sworn he said: "It's still too early in the season to get overly optimistic and say we have the division wrapped up..."

I guess you must be one of those darkcloud fans as well.

As far as the thread I say give it till August/Mid August. If we are still winning at the same pace, I'm sure the buzz will be pretty huge. I can't wait. :supernana:

Cellview22
06-21-2005, 02:44 PM
If we keep at this pace, it's inevitable there'll be major electricity inside and outside of the ballpark each night. Playoff-type atmospheres in Mid-August, especially when we play Minnesota.. :bandance:

chisoxfanatic
06-21-2005, 02:49 PM
When you've got Jay Moronotti on your side, you KNOW something's special...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay21.html

scottjanssens
06-21-2005, 02:54 PM
When you've got Jay Moronotti on your side, you KNOW something's special...

Does anyone else feel dirty?

Realist
06-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Does anyone else feel dirty?

I don't care what the Moron has to say. I won't read it.

ilsox7
06-21-2005, 03:00 PM
I could of sworn he said: "It's still too early in the season to get overly optimistic and say we have the division wrapped up..."

As far as the thread I say give it till August/Mid August. If we are still winning at the same pace, I'm sure the buzz will be pretty huge. I can't wait. :supernana:

Not a Dark Cloud here by any means (actually quite the opposite), but you chopped up that quote. The ... led to "but we're almost there." We are not almost there. In 2 1/2 months, if we have this lead, we'll be almost there.

Brian26
06-21-2005, 03:01 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't felt the kind of electricity that I felt last night at the Park since 1993 (and that includes 2003, 2000, and '94).

Brian26
06-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Not a Dark Cloud here by any means (actually quite the opposite), but you chopped up that quote. The ... led to "but we're almost there." We are not almost there. In 2 1/2 months, if we have this lead, we'll be almost there.

Understood. However, you're doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't recognize that something special is happening. 25 games above .500, an 8.0 game lead, the best record in baseball, and the best Sox start ever. I have no problem with being cautiously optimistic, but don't rob yourself of enjoying something special while it's happening instead of having to try to relive it after it's over. This isn't 2003 where we're hovering around .500 with two teams in front of us.

DaleJRFan
:threadrules:

I get excited just watching the games on TV... I haven't been to a game since the May Tigers series. That was way back then, and that buzz was already in the air... El Duque gave up some early runs, and everyone in my section was saying "We're still winning this game..." Sure enough.....

There is nothing wrong with saying "This is a special season, there is a buzz in the air at the Cell" because THIS IS a special season and THERE IS a buzz in the air at the Cell...

mjmcend

I also could of sworn we followed up that statment with "but we're almost there." In August/Mid August and we are winning at the same pace with an 8-10 game lead, then you feel we can say we have the division wrapped up. However I don't think of 'almost' covers 1 1/2 half months of baseball. I still think it is way too early to say that 'we have the division almost wrapped up', and I don't believe for one second that makes me a dark cloud.

mjmcend
06-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Understood. However, you're doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't recognize that something special is happening. 25 games above .500, an 8.0 game lead, the best record in baseball, and the best Sox start ever. I have no problem with being cautiously optimistic, but don't rob yourself of enjoying something special while it's happening instead of having to try to relive it after it's over. This isn't 2003 where we're hovering around .500 with two teams in front of us.

Oh I am enjoying it very very much, as I am sure we all (well almost all of us) are. I just feel like it is too early to say that we have the division 'almost wrapped up.' I predict we will win it by a huge margin when it is all said and done, however saying we have it almost wrapped up in mid June is akin to bulletin board material (assuming it was coming from a player or coach on the Sox and not some anonmous meassage board user of course).

1951Campbell
06-21-2005, 03:15 PM

Never. Not enough bars around the Cell.

The Wall
06-21-2005, 03:17 PM
There has been more excitement around the park this year than in the recent past that I've lived in this neighborhood (4 blocks off the park). It will only go up if this keeps up when the Crankees and Twinkies come to town in mid-august.

Iguana775
06-21-2005, 03:19 PM

Reading comprehension is a lost art.... ;) :cool:

mweflen
06-21-2005, 03:19 PM
This last weekend against the Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles, and this monday against KC, have been the most electric games I've been to since 2000.

ilsox7
06-21-2005, 03:24 PM

Totally agree and I am one of the people around here who keeps saying to enjoy this season. It is special. I was just pointing out the quote being taken out of context.

ilsox7
06-21-2005, 03:25 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't felt the kind of electricity that I felt last night at the Park since 1993 (and that includes 2003, 2000, and '94).

Last night was awesome. Sadly I arrived late b/c my buddy was working, but as I got off the L and walked to the park, right at 7:10, it was a mob scene. HUNDREDS of people still in line to buy tickets. The escalator FILLED with a HUGE line to get to the 100 level, so we ran up the ramp. Awesome time.

surfdudes
06-21-2005, 03:30 PM

Dark Clouds, Dark Smouds!
Almost there? I got your almost there.
If the Sox go .500 from here on out, they win 94 games. Basically a choke of epic porportions would be in store for them to not see some sort of postseason......
I'm going to be a realist and enjoy this, hope there are not any severe injuries, hope Ozzie keeps everybody sharp, hope that Carl and Frank and all the platooners stay happy in their role, say "screw curses" and be accused of drinking "some sort of kool-aid" and boldly predict that the Sox will be there come October. If I was in Vegas, I sure the hell wouldn't bet against them making the playoffs, because all facts are pointing to them being an absolute Juggernaut. This "the sky is falling", "whatever you do, don't say we are for real" crap is for the birds.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-21-2005, 03:30 PM

When all the ivy grows in on the brick walls, when the scoreboard is faded green and manually worked by some old geezer, when I can drop $400 in the bleachers drinking with a bunch of unemployed frat boys...oh what, you said BUZZ, not buzzed...never mind.

ilsox7
06-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Dark Clouds, Dark Smouds!
Almost there? I got your almost there.
If the Sox go .500 from here on out, they win 94 games. Basically a choke of epic porportions would be in store for them to not see some sort of postseason......
I'm going to be a realist and enjoy this, hope there are not any severe injuries, hope Ozzie keeps everybody sharp, hope that Carl and Frank and all the platooners stay happy in their role, say "screw curses" and be accused of drinking "some sort of kool-aid" and boldly predict that the Sox will be there come October. If I was in Vegas, I sure the hell wouldn't bet against them making the playoffs, because all facts are pointing to them being an absolute Juggernaut. This "the sky is falling", "whatever you do, don't say we are for real" crap is for the birds.

I've been the first one in game threads and post game threads to say to enjoy this season. But to say we have almost clinched the division? Hardly. Are we well on our way? Of course. Would it take an epic collapse? Yes. Will there be AL Central Champions shirts printed up next week? No.

This thing is special, no doubt. I have many good feeligns about it and enjoy each and every game. But it's June. No one has ever almost clinched anything in June. But we are well on our way.

scottjanssens
06-21-2005, 03:35 PM
HUNDREDS of people still in line to buy tickets. The escalator FILLED with a HUGE line to get to the 100 level, so we ran up the ramp. Awesome time.

Or waiting to pick them up. Grrrr. I mean what's the point of Sox Charge if you end up missing the first inning. I'd gladly pay the Ticketmaster fee in exchange for the first inning.

ilsox7
06-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Or waiting to pick them up. Grrrr. I mean what's the point of Sox Charge if you end up missing the first inning. I'd gladly pay the Ticketmaster fee in exchange for the first inning.

A lot of people don't get home til 6 and with the big crowds, it takes a long time to get to the ballpark. Also, if you're a family of 4, you're looking at something like $14 in ticketmaster charges? That's probly more than 1 or 2 tickets on a half price night. I am just happy they are at the game enjoying a warm summer night with the Sox.

scottjanssens
06-21-2005, 03:43 PM

Although I suppose being able to buy tickets in advance that aren't available through Ticketmaster has a lot going for it. It would be nice if I didn't have to wait for my prepaid tickets behind a line of people asking "What do you have on the left side... ok, what about the upper deck..."

LVSoxFan
06-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Dude I made that mistake twice and I'll never make it again.

Both times I missed the first two innings, either because the TM employees were moving like molasses or clueless fans were asking questions like you described. I never understood why there wasn't a will-call only window.

So these days, I pay the fee for the peace of mind.

Grrrr, is right. I get steamed just thinking about it.

scottjanssens
06-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Yeah, but as I realized above you can't buy premium club or box seats through Ticketmaster.

ma_deuce
06-21-2005, 04:00 PM
A positive buzz on WSI is enough for me these days. I already know how fairweather fans will react, so I'm not too excited to see them crowd up the bandwagon. All that aside though, we still have quite a way to go and a million different things could happen. No one expected the Sox to lose its top two players midway through the season last year, but we did and it cost us... and it could just as easily happen again.

*knocks on wood*

Deuce

maurice
06-21-2005, 04:17 PM
*knocks on wood*

Be careful when you knock on Wood. He's very fragile and doesn't like to pitch when he has a boo boo.

DannyCaterFan
06-21-2005, 04:19 PM
You want a buzz?? Wait til this weekend when be beat those flubs!:supernana:

skobabe8
06-21-2005, 06:19 PM
I was there Sunday night and I felt it.
Its something that just travels up and down your spine walking up to USCF and stays there for the next 3 hours.

Just wait until September.

My God.

Chisox003
06-21-2005, 06:27 PM
And here I came into this thread thinking it would be commending the atmosphere at the Cell and how UNBELIEVABLE it's been

I was there over the weekend against the Dodgers, and it was absolutely stunning....

Chills just thinking about it....."Lets go go go White Sox...."

Yikes :gulp:

DumpJerry
06-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Then Guillen, only a week after accusing Angels pitcher Brendan Donnelly of illegally going to his mouth on the mound, followed with a typical Blizzard of Oz contradiction: It's perfectly fine to cheat as long as a pitcher get away with it. ''I'll help them cheat,'' he said. ''As long as they win games, I hope they cheat.''
You almost had be thinking you were finally rational Jay. Donnelly was doing something illegal and he got charged a ball for it.

OTOH, I was at both Dodgers games this weekend (Sat and Sun) and lost my voice.:D:

Cellview22
09-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Sadly, with 3 weeks left in the regular season, there's no hype, no excitement, no buzz, no nothing! I'm really surprised, I thought there would be a buzz around the White Sox already. :(:

I went to last night's game, and it felt like we were 12 games out and done for the season. I feel bad for the players!

doublem23
09-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Nobody got jacked up to watch the Royals? How shocking.

I'll say that I expect the Cell to be rockin' next homestand when we get Minnesota and Cleveland and a probable A.L. Central crown. I'll also say, tread lightly in this thread.

UofCSoxFan
09-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Isn't there a rule about bringing back 2 and a half month old threads? I was at the game yesterday...and I'll tell you there was more electricity there with the 18,000 fans than there was at some of the games I went to earlier that were sold out. Contreras got a very loud ovation and Konerko's home run was well received too.

Keep in mind the division race is all but decided (and frankly has been since the middle of June)

This is a non-issue made by someone that has to find something to complain about.

Hitmen77
09-08-2005, 03:52 PM
I was at Sunday's game and there was a certain excitement there. That was against the Tigers, so I wasn't expecting the same level of buzz as there will be against the Angels, Twins, and Indians.

miker
09-08-2005, 03:59 PM
No Excitement at Cell
First place team shunned by Chicagoans

Oh, I'm sorry. This isn't the "Write Tomorrow's Cubune Headline" thread.

As we get closer to clinching, the buzz will be at a fever pitch. Trust me.