PDA

View Full Version : Cubs fans finally shut up

Takatsufan
06-21-2005, 01:24 PM
I don't know about everyone else here, but I have noticed that Cub's fans are begining to talk less and less openly abou their team. Maybe they are finall admitting our greatness. What do you think? :smile:

maurice
06-21-2005, 01:30 PM
I think that getting swept by the spankees while the Sox swept LA can have that effect.

Baby Fisk
06-21-2005, 02:04 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-05/17647830.jpg
"Oh man, that road trip was AWESOME! Yankee Stadium was OK, but it's nowhere CLOSE to the winning tradition and historicalness of Wrigley Field. I met three different chicks in two days! I got so hammered with my buddies on Saturday night that we slept in for Sunday's game, but I heard that the Cubs completed the sweep, so we must be right behind the Cardinals now. This was a great weekend to be a Cubs fan! YEAH BABY!"

jackbrohamer
06-21-2005, 02:22 PM
There really isn't much a Scrub fan can say with the Sox laying waste to the National and American Leagues. That's why all they'll talk about is attendance.

MIgrenade
06-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Actually they haven't shut up at all as far as I can tell.

kittle42
06-21-2005, 02:24 PM
There really isn't much a Scrub fan can say with the Sox laying waste to the National and American Leagues. That's why all they'll talk about is attendance.

Amen.

Tekijawa
06-21-2005, 02:25 PM
I don't know about everyone else here, but I have noticed that Cub's fans are begining to talk less and less openly abou their team. Maybe they are finall admitting our greatness. What do you think? :smile:

I think that Talking about the Cubs is unfortunately inversely proportional with the amount of new people wearing White Sox Gear lately.

Jerko
06-21-2005, 02:27 PM
http://www.glossynews.com/artman/uploads/cubs_booger.jpg

Did we win ma? I thought WE were the "spank-ees" last weekend since we lost all 3 games while that other team didn't.

Baby Fisk
06-21-2005, 02:39 PM
That's why all they'll talk about is attendance.
It would be too much for them to realize the irony of attendance talk. So long as all those sheep keep filling Wrigley Field, Cubs ownership/management will feel no pressure to field a winning team.

SOXPHILE
06-21-2005, 02:44 PM
I think some of them may be a little quieter right now, but all in all, from what I've seen at places like bars, where there's games on, no. They are still pretty much the same arrogant, loud, know nothings they always have been. Stereoytpical backwards Cub hat with the REALLY bendy brim, J.D Crew shirt, pooka bead wearing clowns yelling "WOOOOOOOOO !! ALRIGHT CUBBIES ! YEAH BABY !" whenever they score a run; followed by "SOX ??!! YOU LIKE THE WHITE SOX ??!! HA HA HA HA !! THEY SUCK DUDE ! CUBBIES !!!!" when they spot me or my friends with our Sox hats and/or shirts. When we reply with something that puzzles them: facts, about what each teams record is, etc., they usually stare at us with a blank look on their face, and say things like "Really ? Sox have the best record in baseball ? I didn't know that." or "Huh ? I knew the Cubbies were only a couple of games out of first, not (7-9), but at least they lead the wild card. Huh ? They don't ?

dcb33
06-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Can anyone blame Cubs fans for claming up? They're barely treading water in the suckfest that is this year's National League, the LF platoon is a disaster, C-Patt has proven he's as big a bonehead as we all suspected, and the bullpen is a disaster waiting to happen. The only positive they have is Lee's performance, and as soon as he cools off and stops carrying the team things will get even uglier. To make matters worse, now that the Sox are starting to consistently draw 30,000+, they really don't even have their idiotic "Cubs are better b/c they have higher attendance" argument to fall back on anymore.

It's high time they shut up and go back to just having a good time at Wrigley and cheering on their "Loveable Losers" instead of pretending they have a real baseball team to root for.

cheeses_h_rice
06-21-2005, 03:05 PM
I will say this. Ever since the Flubs went on their recent slide, the amount of idiots calling into the Score to talk about that "one last move" the Flubs need to make in order to contend for the playoffs has diminished significantly.

SOXPHILE
06-21-2005, 03:18 PM
I will say this. Ever since the Flubs went on their recent slide, the amount of idiots calling into the Score to talk about that "one last move" the Flubs need to make in order to contend for the playoffs has diminished significantly.

Oh, don't fret. The next time they put 2 or 3 wins together, we'll all be treated to calls from "Hank in Wrigleyville" or "Cub Fan John", informing us that the Cubs should "get" Preston Wilson, Mike Sweeney, Adam Dunn, or any other big name, talented, but possibly soon to be traded player, in exchange for a case of Old Style from one of the vendors, and maybe Corey Patterson if the other team wants more.

Uncle_Patrick
06-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Damn, I don't know where you guys live, but I don't hear them shutting up. In fact, I hear and see them crying even more than before, especially about those "classless" and "jealous" White Sox and their "trashy" fans. With the tears being spilled over Buerhle's comments and the Sox move to the Score, plus the most recent CBS Sportsline power rankings (Sox and Cards in the top 2), I thought I might have to start gathering 2 of every animal and building my ark.

At least they still have their perfect attendence trophy and everyone cares about them, not the White Sox.

JB98
06-21-2005, 03:30 PM
I think some of them may be a little quieter right now, but all in all, from what I've seen at places like bars, where there's games on, no. They are still pretty much the same arrogant, loud, know nothings they always have been. Stereoytpical backwards Cub hat with the REALLY bendy brim, J.D Crew shirt, pooka bead wearing clowns yelling "WOOOOOOOOO !! ALRIGHT CUBBIES ! YEAH BABY !" whenever they score a run; followed by "SOX ??!! YOU LIKE THE WHITE SOX ??!! HA HA HA HA !! THEY SUCK DUDE ! CUBBIES !!!!" when they spot me or my friends with our Sox hats and/or shirts. When we reply with something that puzzles them: facts, about what each teams record is, etc., they usually stare at us with a blank look on their face, and say things like "Really ? Sox have the best record in baseball ? I didn't know that." or "Huh ? I knew the Cubbies were only a couple of games out of first, not (7-9), but at least they lead the wild card. Huh ? They don't ?

My experiences are similar to what you describe. They haven't shut up yet, and they probably won't until the day they are eliminated from postseason contention.

Baby Fisk
06-21-2005, 03:38 PM
At least they still have their perfect attendence trophy
Damn, that would make a funny visual. Over to you, unregistered...

dcb33
06-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Damn, I don't know where you guys live, but I don't hear them shutting up. In fact, I hear and see them crying even more than before, especially about those "classless" and "jealous" White Sox and their "trashy" fans. With the tears being spilled over Buerhle's comments and the Sox move to the Score, plus the most recent CBS Sportsline power rankings (Sox and Cards in the top 2), I thought I might have to start gathering 2 of every animal and building my ark.

At least they still have their perfect attendence trophy and everyone cares about them, not the White Sox.

The Cubs fans here at work have been avoiding me for a couple weeks now. At the start of the season, they'd stop by my desk to gloat whenever the Cubs won or Sox lost the previous night. Now whenever I start talking baseball with them most just cop out and say they're "too busy" to talk.

fox23
06-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Stereoytpical backwards Cub hat with the REALLY bendy brim, J.D Crew shirt, pooka bead wearing clowns yelling "WOOOOOOOOO !! ALRIGHT CUBBIES ! YEAH BABY !" whenever they score a run; followed by "SOX ??!! YOU LIKE THE WHITE SOX ??!! HA HA HA HA !! THEY SUCK DUDE ! CUBBIES !!!!"

Whoa, its like I was back in college at De Paul again for a second while reading that!

Realist
06-21-2005, 05:43 PM
You don't hear a peep outta them at Nick's Uptown anymore and there's more and more Sox fans there every week. The place was buzzing with excited Sox fans after Saturday nite's game.

Had a couple of WSI'ers stop in last weekend and I bought 'em a round of shots.

:bandance:

Baby Fisk
06-21-2005, 05:47 PM
You don't hear a peep outta them at Nick's Uptown anymore and there's more and more Sox fans there every week. The place was buzzing with excited Sox fans after Saturday nite's game.

Had a couple of WSI'ers stop in last weekend and I bought 'em a round of shots.

:bandance:
:hijacked:
If I ever make it back to Chicago, your bar will be the first destination. We'll have to knock back a couple of slivos! (Or maybe 3 or 4...)

malbert346
06-21-2005, 08:46 PM

Haha, it's that bad at U of I also. At one point this school year, I was keeping a board with tick marks for the number of Cub fans who said Sosa was going to lead them to the World Series. Let's just say the amount rivaled the number of Sox victories so far this season.

LongLiveFisk
06-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Certain Cub fans I know never, ever stop flapping their Santo-loving jaws. It wouldn't matter if the Sox finished the season 162-0 and the Cubs finished 0-162. These Cubbie-blue bleeding bleeps would still find something to pick apart. (Yeah, probably the attendance, although if the Sox still had an attendance problem after this, we would be forced to admit there was a serious problem!)

BUT, I will say, for the most part, they've been much quieter than usual.
And you gotta LOVE that...right, Ronnie?

:santo
"Noooooooooo!!"

rwcescato
06-22-2005, 12:37 AM
My experiences are similar to what you describe. They haven't shut up yet, and they probably won't until the day they are eliminated from postseason contention.

The Sox could win the World Series and they will still say they have Wrigley Field and they have more fans. It will never change.

Rich

chitownhawkfan
06-22-2005, 12:47 AM
This is what makes them Cubs fans they are loud, ignorant, and annoying. I live in Downers Grove and got harrassed at a local bar on Tuesday night for asking the bar I usually frequent to put on the Sox audio, a couple of douche bags started yapping that nobody wants to listen to them, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Either way let these idiotic sheep continue their mindless flocking to the urinal

:andy
Either way we could use more andy

Realist
06-22-2005, 01:08 AM
:hijacked:
If I ever make it back to Chicago, your bar will be the first destination. We'll have to knock back a couple of slivos! (Or maybe 3 or 4...)

You got it! I may actually being coming up to Toronto soon. A good buddy of mine is going to moving up there soon and I already warned him that I will be visiting.

We do get a ton of Croatian Cubs fans in the bar too. Maybe you can help me converte 'em over to the Sox. I'm not having much luck. Oh well. They're supposed to be bringing me some homemade loza. That'll do for now.

skobabe8
06-22-2005, 02:13 AM
Personally, my friends have been EXTREMELY quiet. But thats because they have a brain. I've come into contact with alot of cubs fans who have run their mouths like mongoloids.

If the 2 teams records were reversed, I would be hearing about it every day from my friends. But I have class.

chisoxfan64
06-22-2005, 02:20 AM
I`m finding they are spewing off more now that they have Cy Young and Cy Young JR. about ready to come back.

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2005, 03:35 AM
I was out at John Barleycorn just a block south of Wrigley just a couple weekends ago and wore a Sox hat and a Sox t-shirt in there. Honestly, NOBODY said a thing about it the entire time...Well, except for the people we were meeting there, who noted that it's been a great season so far for us.

As for work, the programmer is a huge Cubs fan, and all I have to do is smirk at him and he won't talk to me. The only come-back he ever has had is telling me that his daughter will "never marry a SOX fan." Whatever... :rolleyes:

grinderrule#1
06-22-2005, 03:41 AM
all my cub-fan friends havent shut up one bit but seeing their faces in october will be priceless:smile:. It really is starting to tick me off cuz they wont admit that this years sox team is amazing. any ideas or good comebacks?

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2005, 04:01 AM
all my cub-fan friends havent shut up one bit but seeing their faces in october will be priceless:smile:. It really is starting to tick me off cuz they wont admit that this years sox team is amazing. any ideas or good comebacks?

I always love to bring up the fact that the Sox are 154-105 against the Cubs All-Time, which includes the 1906 World Series, where we beat them.

As for current stuff...

How about the fact that Scott Podsednik has 6 less stolen bases than their entire team...Or that our bullpen actually can hold leads in a close game...Or that we don't have to worry about chalking up the hospital minutes for our starting pitchers...Or that we have the starting pitcher with the most wins right now, and he's our #5 in our pitching rotation...Or that we lead all of baseball in quality starts...You can get very creative here.

grinderrule#1
06-22-2005, 04:09 AM
ha thanks fanatic yah first time user this website is probably the coolest thing ever

henchmanUK
06-22-2005, 06:33 AM
How about the fact that Scott Podsednik has 6 less stolen bases than their entire team

:roflmao: That's awesome!

maurice
06-22-2005, 11:52 AM
The only thing the cubs consistently "beat" the Sox at is attendance, but I never had trouble replying to this fact. When a cub fan asks "If the Sox and the Cell are so great, why do more people go to Wrigley?" I respond "Because most people are stupid." You can't blame Sox fans for being the smart ones.

:gulp:

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2005, 01:15 PM
The only thing the cubs consistently "beat" the Sox at is attendance, but I never had trouble replying to this fact. When a cub fan asks "If the Sox and the Cell are so great, why do more people go to Wrigley?" I respond "Because most people are stupid." You can't blame Sox fans for being the smart ones.

:gulp:

It hasn't even been "consistently." Since the beginning of time, the Cubs have outdrawn the Sox by a mere 2.5 million! And this dates all the way back to 1901. Even the attendance has been fairly split down the middle.

scottjanssens
06-22-2005, 01:31 PM
It hasn't even been "consistently." Since the beginning of time, the Cubs have outdrawn the Sox by a mere 2.5 million! And this dates all the way back to 1901. Even the attendance has been fairly split down the middle.

Is there a convenient list broken down by year? I'd like to see what trends emerge. Billy Pierce on the radio recently blamed the move to cable in the early 80s for killing Sox attendence since.

maurice
06-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Excuse me, but for the purposes of my last post, I think that a decade or so qualifies as consistency. The early '90s, the 60s, the beginning of time, etc. were quite a while ago.

:redneck

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2005, 02:02 PM
It would be too much for them to realize the irony of attendance talk. So long as all those sheep keep filling Wrigley Field, Cubs ownership/management will feel no pressure to field a winning team.

Shhhhh......
mums the word

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2005, 02:05 PM
At least they still have their perfect attendence trophy

And for that, they win...... Cubs tickets.....

The trophy should be a 1/8th-size brass replica urinal.

miker
06-22-2005, 09:05 PM

Permission to use this as a signature, please?

owensmouth
06-22-2005, 09:42 PM
all my cub-fan friends havent shut up one bit but seeing their faces in october will be priceless:smile:. It really is starting to tick me off cuz they wont admit that this years sox team is amazing. any ideas or good comebacks?Find some new friends

maurice
06-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Permission to use this as a signature, please?

Um, okay.

elrod
06-23-2005, 12:09 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-05/17647830.jpg
"Oh man, that road trip was AWESOME! Yankee Stadium was OK, but it's nowhere CLOSE to the winning tradition and historicalness of Wrigley Field. I met three different chicks in two days! I got so hammered with my buddies on Saturday night that we slept in for Sunday's game, but I heard that the Cubs completed the sweep, so we must be right behind the Cardinals now. This was a great weekend to be a Cubs fan! YEAH BABY!"

Man I love that photo.

skobabe8
06-23-2005, 12:25 PM
How about the fact that Scott Podsednik has 6 less stolen bases than their entire team....

Give that until about saturday.

TDog
06-23-2005, 12:26 PM
The last trash talk I heard at my office was at the beginning of the month. My supervisor said, for no discernible reason, something to the effect that the Sox were going begin their slide in June.

In the age of interleague play, the Cubs people can't even do that "NL is superior" garbage.