PDA

View Full Version : By popular demand, positive Paulie comment thread

maurice
06-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Konerko took a break from bashing Juan Uribe and said the following:
"It's good to hit behind [Frank Thomas] because he takes pitches," Konerko said. "Even when he has a tough game or doesn't get any hits, he squeezes a walk and makes the pitchers throw."

Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050620soxgamer,1,331441.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

hawkjt
06-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Hey, Paulee supporter here and I think he is looking like he will end up with monster numbers again and unfortunately his price aint going down. Sox need to win it this year and then I think Frank and Paul are back with long term contracts. Paulee is really reaching his prime age-wise and could be a big producer for five years at least. He leads the team in RBI's,HR's and runs scored. He leads the regulars in on base % ( he will yield that to Frank soon). Bottom line is that when his average gets back up to .280 where it belongs and with the 40hrs,120 rbi's he will be an important guy to retain. We already gave up CLee who is a 130rbi guy this year and maggs who when healthy can produce those #'s. If Frank goes away also that will be 4 huge rbi guys that just went away. How many do we have in reserve? It is not an endless supply and we need to recognize that.

fquaye149
06-21-2005, 01:33 PM

Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050620soxgamer,1,331441.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

good. :)

ChiSoxRowand
06-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Hey, Paulee supporter here and I think he is looking like he will end up with monster numbers again and unfortunately his price aint going down. Sox need to win it this year and then I think Frank and Paul are back with long term contracts. Paulee is really reaching his prime age-wise and could be a big producer for five years at least. He leads the team in RBI's,HR's and runs scored. He leads the regulars in on base % ( he will yield that to Frank soon). Bottom line is that when his average gets back up to .280 where it belongs and with the 40hrs,120 rbi's he will be an important guy to retain. We already gave up CLee who is a 130rbi guy this year and maggs who when healthy can produce those #'s. If Frank goes away also that will be 4 huge rbi guys that just went away. How many do we have in reserve? It is not an endless supply and we need to recognize that.

Konerko should be back next year, the Sox pretty much comitted to him when they traded Lee and let Ordonez go.

Cowhead418
06-21-2005, 01:37 PM
What people forget is that Konerko was in the top three on the team in OBP even when his AVG was .230. He draws a lot of walks and gets lots of RBIs. But he still GIDPs too much, doesn't have a great AVG with RISP, is really slow and too prone to slumps.

firejauron
06-21-2005, 02:35 PM

Watch out, the Paulie bashers will start thinking Paul was bashing anyone else who has batted ahead of him this year with that quote.

doublem23
06-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Konerko should be back next year, the Sox pretty much comitted to him when they traded Lee and let Ordonez go.

I'm sure KW wants PK to come back, but I think that's going to depend on how much Konerko wants.

doublem23
06-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Watch out, the Paulie bashers will start thinking Paul was bashing anyone else who has batted ahead of him this year with that quote.

Nah, that would just be Maggs or CLee and we're all cool with that. :tongue:

TaylorStSox
06-21-2005, 02:58 PM
What people forget is that Konerko was in the top three on the team in OBP even when his AVG was .230. He draws a lot of walks and gets lots of RBIs. But he still GIDPs too much, doesn't have a great AVG with RISP, is really slow and too prone to slumps.

If he hit remotely well with RISP, he'd have 70 RBI's.

Deadguy
06-21-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm sure KW wants PK to come back, but I think that's going to depend on how much Konerko wants.

I get the feeling K(ingman)onerko is going to demand a Sexson type of contract. I really hope the Sox don't offer him something along those lines. Those who think he'll accept some type of bargain deal that will help the club in terms of payroll flexibility are the same sappy, soft headed fools who were slobbering over Maggie last year, and taking everything he said for face value.

I personally hope his ego gets him a one way ticket out of town.

Edited: To correct spelling errors and slander Slownerko some more. :tongue:

JB98
06-21-2005, 03:09 PM
If he hit remotely well with RISP, he'd have 70 RBI's.

No question, but his poor average with RISP is a function of a month-long horrible slump. For quite awhile, he was hitting poorly regardless of the situation. I stood by him while he was scuffling, and I took a lot of heat for it from my fellow posters. Now, he's starting to come through with more regularity. Two of his homers on this homestand have been clutch, 3-run bombs. As I've maintained all along, Konerko's numbers will be there at the end of the year.

And make no mistake about it, Frank's return is HUGE for the other guys in the middle of the order. As Paulie said, Frank works counts and see a lot of pitches. In addition, his presence takes a ton of pressure off everybody else. Since the start of June, JD has been swinging much, much better. Everett has been solid and so has Rowand. At least part of that has to be attributed to Frank.

Palehose13
06-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Nah, that would just be Maggs or CLee and we're all cool with that. :tongue:

What about Rowand?

DrGiggles
06-21-2005, 03:12 PM
If we started filling up US Cellular Field a little more, we could easily keep Konerko and maybe get more bigger names. Lets make this the year that our fans start coming and we have the money the Cubs, Red Sox and Yankees have been getting to buy big name guys.

Deadguy
06-21-2005, 03:18 PM
If we started filling up US Cellular Field a little more, we could easily keep Konerko and maybe get more bigger names. Lets make this the year that our fans start coming and we have the money the Cubs, Red Sox and Yankees have been getting to buy big name guys.

Yeah, ticket sales are the primary stream of revenue for the big market clubs. :rolleyes:

Cleveland sold out every game at the Jake for years, yet never were able to hold on to the likes of Belle, Thome, Ramirez, Sexson, Giles etc. Why do you think that is?

DaleJRFan
06-21-2005, 03:23 PM
I have images of Frank Thomas' ridiculously gigantic biceps wrapped around Konerko's neck in a painful headlock... with dialog such as:

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/4527.jpg
"Shut up and hit."

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/5908.jpg
"Got it. Sorry."

maurice
06-21-2005, 03:43 PM
I get the feeling . . . .

I agree with this post.

kevingrt
06-21-2005, 04:38 PM
I agree with this post.

I agree with this post.

Anyways, PK hasn't caused any corruption in the clubhouse for sometime, he deserves one positive post a week.

iamkoza
06-21-2005, 04:41 PM

if he's going to ask for 10 million or so for 5 or 6 years, can this team commit 1/7 of its payroll to their first baseman? I'd be happy if we picked up a lyle overbay type if paulie's demands are excessive

PicktoCLick72
06-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Why is it the Konerko bashers say nothing when he starts doing well and just look for any oppurtunity to tear into him. And yes some of these people think Ross Gload is a viable starter at first next year.

Frater Perdurabo
06-21-2005, 06:28 PM
As one of the primary Konerko bashers, I'm glad he's taken the time to recognize what an advantage he has hitting behind Frank. THESE are the kind of public comments we need to hear him say more often!

Also, kudos to Paulie on the big RBI night last night, too!

:supernana:

Jjav829
06-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Why is it the Konerko bashers say nothing when he starts doing well and just look for any oppurtunity to tear into him. And yes some of these people think Ross Gload is a viable starter at first next year.

Because that's what they do. Some people just can't contain themselves and feel the need to rip into Konerko whenever possible. It's really quite sad that anyone devotes so much effort to hating on a specific player on the Sox. I compare it to the dark cloud posters. Those people come out after every loss and find someway to overreact to one loss. Well, it's the same with the Konerko bashers. They just sit, waiting to pounce on Konerko for anything that he does even slightly wrong. 3-4 with a HR.... Whoops. Time for silence. 0-4 with a DP....it's bashing time.

BTW, this thread confirms what I said the other day. 20 replies five hours after the thread was posted. And most of those posts didn't even deal with what Konerko said, rather they focused on Konerko's contract situation. If it was something that could be taken out of context in a negative way, this thread would have 150 posts by now.

fquaye149
06-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Because that's what they do. Some people just can't contain themselves and feel the need to rip into Konerko whenever possible. It's really quite sad that anyone devotes so much effort to hating on a specific player on the Sox. I compare it to the dark cloud posters. Those people come out after every loss and find someway to overreact to one loss. Well, it's the same with the Konerko bashers. They just sit, waiting to pounce on Konerko for anything that he does even slightly wrong. 3-4 with a HR.... Whoops. Time for silence. 0-4 with a DP....it's bashing time.

BTW, this thread confirms what I said the other day. 20 replies five hours after the thread was posted. And most of those posts didn't even deal with what Konerko said, rather they focused on Konerko's contract situation. If it was something that could be taken out of context in a negative way, this thread would have 150 posts by now.

are you ****ing kidding? with all due respect, I do believe both I and Frater have replied to this thread. What is there to really say about this without the FOGIDPK trying to start arguments...although it looks like they found a way anyway.

Whatever. I would love for Paulee to keep this kind of positive media remarks up, and to hit well. History shows he will probably only do one of the two at a time, but here's hoping.

munchman33
06-21-2005, 08:44 PM
For those of you who think Konerko's a lock to return, you're kidding yourself. He couldn't hit with Frank out of the lineup. When Kenny choses between the two (and unless payroll is significantly increased, he'll have to), he's gonna remember that Paulie can't hit without Frank, while Frank makes everyone around him better.

Daver
06-21-2005, 08:45 PM
I am not one of the Paul bashers, but I do think he is grossly overpaid for the production he is bringing. Casey Rogowski could be a .250 hitter at the league minimum, and give you some speed at first base. Unless Konerko agrees to a contract with a significant pay cut before the end of the season, I doubt he will be back in a Sox uniform.

munchman33
06-21-2005, 08:49 PM
I am not one of the Paul bashers, but I do think he is grossly overpaid for the production he is bringing. Casey Rogowski could be a .250 hitter at the league minimum, and give you some speed at first base. Unless Konerko agrees to a contract with a significant pay cut before the end of the season, I doubt he will be back in a Sox uniform.

Daver, once again you are the voice of reason. Sometimes, I wish these guys would take the goggles off.

Jjav829
06-22-2005, 01:25 AM
are you ****ing kidding? with all due respect, I do believe both I and Frater have replied to this thread. What is there to really say about this without the FOGIDPK trying to start arguments...although it looks like they found a way anyway.

Whatever. I would love for Paulee to keep this kind of positive media remarks up, and to hit well. History shows he will probably only do one of the two at a time, but here's hoping.

I don't know if you're calling me a FOGIDPK or what, but for the record, I'm hardly a FOGIDPK. My point stems back to the giant overreaction thread we had on Friday. I said that the Konerko bashers love to run with this crap but shy away from anything positive on Konerko. Well here's a positive Konerko thread and we aren't even on the third page yet.

jhill36
06-22-2005, 01:33 AM
No question, but his poor average with RISP is a function of a month-long horrible slump. For quite awhile, he was hitting poorly regardless of the situation. I stood by him while he was scuffling, and I took a lot of heat for it from my fellow posters. Now, he's starting to come through with more regularity. Two of his homers on this homestand have been clutch, 3-run bombs. As I've maintained all along, Konerko's numbers will be there at the end of the year.

And make no mistake about it, Frank's return is HUGE for the other guys in the middle of the order. As Paulie said, Frank works counts and see a lot of pitches. In addition, his presence takes a ton of pressure off everybody else. Since the start of June, JD has been swinging much, much better. Everett has been solid and so has Rowand. At least part of that has to be attributed to Frank.

I completely agree. I took a lot of heat in here just a few weeks ago before Paulie broke out of his "slump." I was saying that he would heat up in June, and so would the team--the extent of both has far exceeded my expectations--and that we should leave Paulie alone. Sure enough, my prediction came true and now we all forget. You were right when you said Frank's return makes just about everybody better, but especially Paulie.

The plain fact is that the Thomas-Konerko tandem is the most underrated combo in all of baseball. They need to stay together.

FarWestChicago
06-22-2005, 02:10 AM
Because that's what they do. Some people just can't contain themselves and feel the need to rip into Konerko whenever possible. It's really quite sad that anyone devotes so much effort to hating on a specific player on the Sox. I compare it to the dark cloud posters.This is absolute bull****. I'm sorry you and the aPaulogists don't care about him backstabbing his teammates. Some of us do. I have no idea why you don't think his hating on a teammate is no big deal.

fquaye149
06-22-2005, 02:13 AM
I don't know if you're calling me a FOGIDPK or what, but for the record, I'm hardly a FOGIDPK. My point stems back to the giant overreaction thread we had on Friday. I said that the Konerko bashers love to run with this crap but shy away from anything positive on Konerko. Well here's a positive Konerko thread and we aren't even on the third page yet.

i didn't call you a goddamn thing.

all i took issue with is you saying the "konerko haters" were shying away from this thread.

was that the case? i would say no.

edit: p.s. there really is nothing to talk about. Paul's so-called glorifying comment is no news. It's like if Johnny Pesky had said "Ted Williams was a good hitter". Or if Rupert Murdoch had said "George Bush is a good president". What the **** is there to say about this topic. I'd like to see YOU fill 3 pages with it.

FarWestChicago
06-22-2005, 02:13 AM

Whatever. I would love for Paulee to keep this kind of positive media remarks up, and to hit well. History shows he will probably only do one of the two at a time, but here's hoping.Indeed, that was a terrible post. We are *******s for criticizing Paulie for publicly shredding a teammate, but he's not culpable at all for said shredding. What hold does Paulie have over the aPaulogists? It's completely illogical.

Tragg
06-22-2005, 09:02 AM
Yeah, ticket sales are the primary stream of revenue for the big market clubs. :rolleyes:

Cleveland sold out every game at the Jake for years, yet never were able to hold on to the likes of Belle, Thome, Ramirez, Sexson, Giles etc. Why do you think that is?

Because they CHOSE not to hang onto those players. They CHOSE to take the revenue, but cut the costs. And for a few years, the revenue kept flowing in.
The Blue Jays did the same thing. They sold out every game, and then dismantled the team. Unfortunately for them, the fans went away as quickly as they dismantled the team.

The other difference is that Cleveland had a plan to rebuild. The Jays had Gordo Ash who didn't have a clue.

Tragg
06-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Indeed, that was a terrible post. We are *******s for criticizing Paulie for publicly shredding a teammate, but he's not culpable at all for said shredding. What hold does Paulie have over the aPaulogists? It's completely illogical.

Fill me in - did he say any more than Clayton is the best SS he's ever played with? That's a backhanded slap - but more at himself than Uribe as it shows he doesn't have a clue about baseball talent.

As for dumping him, I think our 4th in home runs rank is a key piece of our O. If we dump him, okay, but we need some power to replace him.

maurice
06-22-2005, 12:10 PM
BTW, this thread confirms what I said the other day. 20 replies five hours after the thread was posted.

That was my intent. You're welcome. :redneck

But I still agree with Deadguy and Daver.

wdelaney72
06-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Many might consider me a PK basher, but I've tried on several occasions to convey exactly what Daver said. Paulie is a good player, but overpaid. His return will depend heavily on his contract demans. I do not want his contract to burden the team. He's just not worth it.

As far as his public statements. I agree with the roasting he took for bashing Uribe. I will also acknowledge his statement about hitting behind Frank as being accurate.

Now I'd like him to just keep his mouth shut and concentrate on helping the team win.

Jerome
06-22-2005, 12:50 PM

Why on earth is speed important at first base?

I could see how you want speed in a leadoff man, or a CF to cover ground, but a first baseman?

I agree with you about how maybe a pay cut is in order, but I think a lot of sox fans underestimated PK. He and Crazy Carl were the only power we had before Frank came back. Even with his .220 BA is OBP was always decent, at least compared to the rest of the team. If he had a little better BA we'd see a lot more RBIs. With Frank, we will see that BA improve.

fquaye149
06-22-2005, 12:57 PM

I could see how you want speed in a leadoff man, or a CF to cover ground, but a first baseman?

You're right. Speed is not important at first base.

However, speed is important ON THE BASEPATHS.

For instance: Buehrle's shutout no decision at Petco

Jerome
06-22-2005, 01:03 PM
You're right. Speed is not important at first base.

However, speed is important ON THE BASEPATHS.

For instance: Buehrle's shutout no decision at Petco

But for a first baseman? Isn't the ability to hit for power, with maybe a good command of the strike zone many times more important for a first baseman? Unless you're loaded with power at other positions, which most teams are not.

I'm not saying clog the basebaths with a bunch of fatties like last year but we shoudn't rip on Pk for not being fast. No one rips Big Frank for his "lack of speed"

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2005, 01:05 PM

Speed anywhere in the lineup is a plus. Second -- and even the FOGIDPK aPaulogists have to acknowledge this -- Paulie is exceedingly slow, one of the slowest players in the league.

I interpreted Daver's comments to be that Rogowski brings a different combination of tools (which includes some speed, which Ozzie seems to value) for a bare bones price which would allow the Sox to invest that payroll elsewhere.

maurice
06-22-2005, 01:12 PM
I interpreted Daver's comments to be that Rogowski brings a different combination of tools (which includes some speed, which Ozzie seems to value) for a bare bones price which would allow the Sox to invest that payroll elsewhere.

I interpreted it this way as well. Paulie almost certainly would perform better than Rogo in MLB this year. That's not the issue. The issue is whether Paulie is $8 million better than Rogo this year.

From a straight tools perspective, Rogo is better but lacks MLB experience:
Hit for average - probably a wash right now
Hit for power - more HR for Paulie; more 2Bs for Rogo
Speed - Rogo by far
Defense - Rogo by far
Throw - probably a wash; mostly irrelevant for a 1B

Jjav829
06-22-2005, 01:18 PM
This is absolute bull****. I'm sorry you and the aPaulogists don't care about him backstabbing his teammates. Some of us do. I have no idea why you don't think his hating on a teammate is no big deal.

So I can't defend someone without being labeled an "aPaulogists." That whole thread was a giant freakout, West. Read the name thing through. It's the same thing you'd label a dark cloud thread if it was in response to a loss. I'm not talking about Konerko's comment about Uribe's deke in the Cubs series. That was a dumbass comment and he deserved criticism for that. But him saying Clayton was the best shortstop he has played with was way overblown. It wasn't an insult to Uribe. Notice they didn't bother to followup with a question about where Uribe ranks. Who knows what Konerko would have said. He might have said Uribe was the second best he's ever played with and a great shortstop as well. But there's a certain group of people here who love to rip Konerko, and a couple of them have to make it personal, and they loved that thread.

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2005, 01:22 PM
No one rips Big Frank for his "lack of speed"

So it's Paulie v. Frank after all, eh?

Frank's OPS for the year is 1.129. For his career, it's .997. Paulie never has finished a season with an OPS over .900 (.894 in 2004 was his best). Paulie may be in the best streak of his career this week, yet his slugging percentage over the past seven days is still .087 less than Frank's over the past seven days!

Moreover, Frank is one of the greatest right-handed hitters in MLB history and even though he's nearing the end of his career, he remains one of the best hitters in the majors. Furthermore, even with his gimpy ankle and cramped leg, Frank still can outrun Paulie.

Nevertheless, if Paulie were to produce over a full season the kinds of numbers he's generating right now (.286 AVG, .423 OBP, .619 SLG, 1.042 OPS), then in my opinion he'd be worth every penny the Sox pay him. If that were the case, I'd recommend the Sox sign him right now to a long-term deal, and I even would be willing to ignore his lack of speed and his occasional public back-stabs of his teammates.

Unfortunately for him, for the Sox, and for us Sox fans, however, over his career to this point he's proven he doesn't hit over a full season like he has during the last week.

Jjav829
06-22-2005, 01:23 PM
That was my intent. You're welcome. :redneck

But I still agree with Deadguy and Daver.

Agree with them about what? Letting Konerko go? That's fine. That wasn't my original point. Hell, I've already said in the past that I'd like to have Aubrey Huff at 1B next year. My original idea was to trade for Huff this year and put him at another position for 2005, then moving him to 1B in 2006 and letting go. I'm not sure that can happen at this point since there really is no room for Huff. Unfortunately, Huff might be on another team by the offseason, so we probably won't be able to trade for him then.

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2005, 01:33 PM
But him saying Clayton was the best shortstop he has played with was way overblown. It wasn't an insult to Uribe. Notice they didn't bother to followup with a question about where Uribe ranks. Who knows what Konerko would have said. He might have said Uribe was the second best he's ever played with and a great shortstop as well. But there's a certain group of people here who love to rip Konerko, and a couple of them have to make it personal, and they loved that thread.

Jjav, in fairness we don't know that Konerko wasn't asked a follow-up question about Uribe. All we know is what made it into the final edited version of the story that appeared on the Tribune web site.

But even if this is a case of a reporter deliberately manufacturing "news," given Paulie's reputation as a "glib media favorite," a "great clubhouse teammate," and an "intelligent baseball player," he ought to know that anything (and probably everything) he says can and will be taken out of context. Therefore, he should be exceedingly cautious about what he says to any reporter. Because he doesn't seem to be cautious about what comes out of his mouth in front of reporters, I think he suffers from chronic oral diarrhea.

Moreover, if he's half as intelligent as he's made out to be, he ought to know that Clayton is not really a great defensive shortstop (because of his limited range and his unwillingness to attempt the tough grabs and tougher throws) and that he ought not to compliment a guy who was a certified clubhouse cancer for at least two teams (Sox and Rangers).

maurice
06-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Agree with them about what? Letting Konerko go?

Yes.

fquaye149
06-22-2005, 02:34 PM
So I can't defend someone without being labeled an "aPaulogists." That whole thread was a giant freakout, West. Read the name thing through. It's the same thing you'd label a dark cloud thread if it was in response to a loss. I'm not talking about Konerko's comment about Uribe's deke in the Cubs series. That was a dumbass comment and he deserved criticism for that. But him saying Clayton was the best shortstop he has played with was way overblown. It wasn't an insult to Uribe. Notice they didn't bother to followup with a question about where Uribe ranks. Who knows what Konerko would have said. He might have said Uribe was the second best he's ever played with and a great shortstop as well. But there's a certain group of people here who love to rip Konerko, and a couple of them have to make it personal, and they loved that thread.

You can do whatever you want, but don't accuse the "konerko bashers" of shying away from the positive threads. It's not as though we WANT Konerko to do stupid things (like for instance claim that Royce Clayton is a good shortstop, or jump up and down to come to the aid of OPPONENTS at the expense of Uribe [Derek Lee]).

Good grief, I'd love nothing more than Konerko stop grounding into double plays, stop saying horrible and stupid things, and hell, be worth every penny of his contract.

The "Konerko bashers" are not the ones who are irrational. We do not bash Konerko no matter what he does. The irrational tag belongs to the "apaulogists" (whether or not you are one I don't claim to care about) who will, for example, find a way to defend the following things:

a.) league leading GIDP numbers
b.) worst speed in the league
c.) prolonged slumps
d.) comments like the Derek Lee comment (we'll give the benefit of the doubt on the stupidity of the Clayton comment)

with the following choruses: "3 run homer!!!" "Team leader!!!" "3-6-3!!!" "Look at that production!!!"

no matter how little that has to do with the matter at hand. WHATEVER. Are you happy Jjav? Now the positive thread is getting some replies...

Jerome
06-22-2005, 04:41 PM
So it's Paulie v. Frank after all, eh?

Frank's OPS for the year is 1.129. For his career, it's .997. Paulie never has finished a season with an OPS over .900 (.894 in 2004 was his best). Paulie may be in the best streak of his career this week, yet his slugging percentage over the past seven days is still .087 less than Frank's over the past seven days!

Moreover, Frank is one of the greatest right-handed hitters in MLB history and even though he's nearing the end of his career, he remains one of the best hitters in the majors. Furthermore, even with his gimpy ankle and cramped leg, Frank still can outrun Paulie.

Nevertheless, if Paulie were to produce over a full season the kinds of numbers he's generating right now (.286 AVG, .423 OBP, .619 SLG, 1.042 OPS), then in my opinion he'd be worth every penny the Sox pay him. If that were the case, I'd recommend the Sox sign him right now to a long-term deal, and I even would be willing to ignore his lack of speed and his occasional public back-stabs of his teammates.

Unfortunately for him, for the Sox, and for us Sox fans, however, over his career to this point he's proven he doesn't hit over a full season like he has during the last week.

No no no I'm sorry I feared it would be interpreted as Pauly vs Frank. Konerko is NOT big frank. I just don't see the need for a first baseman to have speed if he's driving in the runs.

I just think that we would regreat replacing Paul with a less powerful 1B if we justified it by saying "he has more speed". It is similarily an argument I use against those who say we should get rid of Paul because we have Ross Gload.

Paul could be in a wheelchair for all i care if he is still hitting for power, drawing walks, keeping up a good OPS, etc. He still hits doubles and it's not like Ozzie would ever send him on a stolen base anyways.

Speed is good in any sport. But first base is a place where it is not as necessary.

jshanahanjr
06-22-2005, 05:08 PM
3 more hits today and he will be going to the All Star game! Way to go Paulie!

maurice
06-22-2005, 05:22 PM
He still hits doubles

Actually he doesn't. Konerko is notoriously bad at hitting doubles. That's why his SLG and OPS remain fairly mediocre for a 1B despite high HR totals.

FarWestChicago
06-22-2005, 10:52 PM
I'm not talking about Konerko's comment about Uribe's deke in the Cubs series. That was a dumbass comment and he deserved criticism for that. But him saying Clayton was the best shortstop he has played with was way overblown. It wasn't an insult to Uribe.Jjav, I have the utmost respect for you. But, for the life of me, I don't see how anybody can separate the two comments. The second comment in a vacuum would have just been completely stupid (since Choice is a horrible SS). But, in context, it's clearly a second rip at a Uribe. That's my whole point. I want Paulie to succeed. He's on the Sox. I just wish he would shut his media whoring, teammate backstabbing mouth...or limit his comments to saying positive things about other Sox players. I don't think it's to much to ask.

Jjav829
06-22-2005, 11:02 PM
Jjav, I have the utmost respect for you. But, for the life of me, I don't see how anybody can separate the two comments. The second comment in a vacuum would have just been completely stupid (since Choice is a horrible SS). But, in context, it's clearly a second rip at a Uribe. That's my whole point. I want Paulie to succeed. He's on the Sox. I just wish he would shut his media whoring, teammate backstabbing mouth...or limit his comments to saying positive things about other Sox players. I don't think it's to much to ask.

I see it as different. That's just my opinion though. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. Doesn't mean either of us is necessarily right or wrong. I don't feel the second comment was a direct rip on Uribe. I'm not in Konerko's head though. I don't know what he was thinking. For all I know, he wasn't thinking when he made the comment and said something that allowed too much room for interpretation. I just don't see the second comment as a big deal. I've seen a lot of quotes like that on other teams and I've never really thought much of them. You feel different though so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

FarWestChicago
06-22-2005, 11:14 PM
You feel different though so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.You got it. And sorry about the aPaulogist comment. You didn't deserve that. :yup:

Jerome
06-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Actually he doesn't. Konerko is notoriously bad at hitting doubles. That's why his SLG and OPS remain fairly mediocre for a 1B despite high HR totals.

:o: wow he only has 9 doubles I was wrong about that

As for SLG, he's above .500 which is better than anyone else on this team besides Bgi Frank.

Deadguy
06-23-2005, 01:50 PM

I was just looking over his career numbers, and was amazed to see that The Great One actually had 4 triples in 1999. Can anyone give some details or first hand accounts on how this actually occurred, 4 times no less!!!

Years of therapy have removed all subconcious recollections of the 1999 debacle, so someone else will have to enlighten me here.

Frater Perdurabo
06-23-2005, 02:05 PM
No no no I'm sorry I feared it would be interpreted as Pauly vs Frank. Konerko is NOT big frank. I just don't see the need for a first baseman to have speed if he's driving in the runs.

I just think that we would regreat replacing Paul with a less powerful 1B if we justified it by saying "he has more speed". It is similarily an argument I use against those who say we should get rid of Paul because we have Ross Gload.

Paul could be in a wheelchair for all i care if he is still hitting for power, drawing walks, keeping up a good OPS, etc. He still hits doubles and it's not like Ozzie would ever send him on a stolen base anyways.

Speed is good in any sport. But first base is a place where it is not as necessary.

I don't think anyone advocates replacing Paulie merely because he moves at "glacial" speed.

But his base-clogging lack of speed is just one part of package of many things (rather meager career stats for a 1B, his mouth, his pedestrian defense, his tendency to go through terrible slumps) that combined together don't seem to many of us to be worth $8-10 million per year, compared to how that $8-10 million could be invested into the team otherwise.

Like I said, however, if he keeps up his recent pace for the rest of the year, I'll support bringing him back.

LauraJ14
06-23-2005, 02:23 PM
You can do whatever you want, but don't accuse the "konerko bashers" of shying away from the positive threads. It's not as though we WANT Konerko to do stupid things (like for instance claim that Royce Clayton is a good shortstop, or jump up and down to come to the aid of OPPONENTS at the expense of Uribe [Derek Lee]).

Good grief, I'd love nothing more than Konerko stop grounding into double plays, stop saying horrible and stupid things, and hell, be worth every penny of his contract.

The "Konerko bashers" are not the ones who are irrational. We do not bash Konerko no matter what he does. The irrational tag belongs to the "apaulogists" (whether or not you are one I don't claim to care about) who will, for example, find a way to defend the following things:

a.) league leading GIDP numbers
b.) worst speed in the league
c.) prolonged slumps
d.) comments like the Derek Lee comment (we'll give the benefit of the doubt on the stupidity of the Clayton comment)

with the following choruses: "3 run homer!!!" "Team leader!!!" "3-6-3!!!" "Look at that production!!!"

no matter how little that has to do with the matter at hand. WHATEVER. Are you happy Jjav? Now the positive thread is getting some replies...

One thing to point out about league leading GIDP numbers is that Konerko has hit into 7 Double plays this season and ranks 44th in MLB. In fact Dye leads the Sox with 11 and the MLB leader has 18. Wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of making your point.

fquaye149
06-23-2005, 02:32 PM
One thing to point out about league leading GIDP numbers is that Konerko has hit into 7 Double plays this season and ranks 44th in MLB. In fact Dye leads the Sox with 11 and the MLB leader has 18. Wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of making your point.

maybe you haven't been here (on planet earth) the past 3 years.

maurice
06-23-2005, 02:42 PM
:o: wow he only has 9 doubles I was wrong about that

As for SLG, he's above .500 which is better than anyone else on this team besides Big Frank.

Yeah, 9 2Bs leaves him 8th on the team (behind Pods) and 190th in MLB.

His SLG is 2nd on the team (just ahead of Dye) but 40th in MLB. That's surprising for a guy who's 9th in HR. Just goes to show that homers aren't everything.

Deadguy
06-23-2005, 03:25 PM
maybe you haven't been here (on planet earth) the past 3 years.

:rolling: Word.

Of course another FACT to consider when talking about GIDPs is that players who strike out at high rates don't do it as much. Look at the career GIDP numbers for guys like Adam Dunn and Russell Branyan.

In this case, the SO for Slownerko is the lesser of the two evils.