PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a list of relievers that might be available?

lowesox
06-21-2005, 12:20 PM
I have a feeling the only moves the White Sox will be making this season are for a reliever or two and a left handed pinch hitter (depending on Gload's status). Just wondering who we might be looking at.

scottjanssens
06-21-2005, 12:26 PM
I think the Sox should make a move for Guardado. It would probably cost us Marte and possibly a minor league player. The GM in Seattle is pretty inept though. Kenny might be able to pull off some magic.

Ol' No. 2
06-21-2005, 12:47 PM
I think the Sox should make a move for Guardado. It would probably cost us Marte and possibly a minor league player. The GM in Seattle is pretty inept though. Kenny might be able to pull off some magic.If the objective is to add a reliever, trading Marte for one makes no sense. The guy you want to replace is Vizcaino. Here are the likely sellers as I see it and the decent relievers that they would trade and we might want (some, obviously, more than others).

Drays: Baez
Jays: Bautista, Speier
Royals: nobody
Tiggers: nobody
A's: Rincon
Mariners: Guardado, Nelson, Hasegawa, Villone
Mets: Looper, Hernandez
Reds: Mercker, Weathers
Astros: Lidge
Brewers: nobody
Pirates: Mesa, Torres
Rockies: nobody
Giants: Eyre

Feel free to add to the list.

Brian26
06-21-2005, 12:50 PM
Nice job, No. 2. It'd be ironic if Kenny brought Eyre back here, bought I don't see that happening.

gobears1987
06-21-2005, 12:51 PM
I think the Mariner's GM probably wouldn't return any of KW's phone calls after the last trade.

White Sox Josh
06-21-2005, 12:51 PM
A guy by the name of Jay Witasick. He pitches for the Rockies and will probably be traded soon. He has a 2.42 ERA and his Bating Average against him is .211. Not only that but he has a 1.76 ERA at Coors Field. That is impressive. His mentality is very similar to Hermy in that he goes after the hitters and doesn't walk a lot of guys. He can be used in any bullpen role and is an innings eater.

Ol' No. 2
06-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Nice job, No. 2. It'd be ironic if Kenny brought Eyre back here, bought I don't see that happening.Or Roberto Hernandez. Still getting it done after all these years.

scottjanssens
06-21-2005, 01:05 PM
If the objective is to add a reliever, trading Marte for one makes no sense.

It does if you can't stand the guy :D: Should've kept Wunsch instead, IMO.

Also I think Marte's clubhouse stock dropped when he failed to mention to anyone that his arm wasn't feeling up to snuff.

scottjanssens
06-21-2005, 01:05 PM
I think the Mariner's GM probably wouldn't return any of KW's phone calls after the last trade.

What trade was that?

Ol' No. 2
06-21-2005, 01:08 PM
It does if you can't stand the guy :D: Should've kept Wunsch instead, IMO.

Also I think Marte's clubhouse stock dropped when he failed to mention to anyone that his arm wasn't feeling up to snuff.You mean the Kelly Wunsch who's given up 17 hits and 9 BB in 19 IP for the Dodgers? THAT Kelly Wunsch? Good choice.

DaleJRFan
06-21-2005, 01:32 PM
of the 'sellers' I would consider any of the following (their availability is yet to be determined):

Torres (PIT)
Gonzalez (PIT)
2005 #s are iffy but has good past #s
Grabow (PIT)
Baez (TB)
Colome (TB)
2005 #s are iffy but has good past #s, and he's on the DL
Carvajal (COL)
very young, but very good - kinda like a RH version of Cotts
Affeldt (KC)
he's on the DL... and I don't see any inner-division deals coming any time soon

Just remember that KW traded for Schoeneweis in 2003 at the break. He came from the Angels who were seemingly a contender. A team doesn't have to be a seller to make a deal. They Sox are pitching-rich this season and the talk here is "Trade Vizcaino" so who knows what might happen. (the other Josh) Fields and Baj look really good too...

Hangar18
06-21-2005, 01:33 PM
After watching the Terribleness of Vizcaino again last nite, its obvious
we need another arm down there. Fast.

gobears1987
06-21-2005, 01:35 PM
What trade was that?
Oops forgot that we traded Valdez to them in March. I was referring to a certain trade made about a year ago.:D:

Rocky Soprano
06-21-2005, 01:36 PM
What trade was that?

Reed and Olivo for Garcia.

DaleJRFan
06-21-2005, 01:37 PM
What trade was that?

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/6168.jpg

"remember me???"

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/7028.jpg

"I'm down at AAA learning how to hit."

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/6144.jpg

"Me too..."

DaleJRFan
06-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Sweeney and Olivo for Garcia.

I hope you are joking.

Acquired RHP Freddy Garcia, C Ben Davis and cash considerations from Seattle in exchange for C Miguel Olivo, minor league OF Jeremy Reed and minor league INF Michael Morse.

DaleJRFan
06-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Oops forgot that we traded Valdez to them in March. I was referring to a certain trade made about a year ago.:D:

Valdez was designated for assignment after Ozuna made the team out of ST. The Mets picked him up off of the waiver wire. They waived him seemingly hours later where the Mariners snagged him. He has since been killed by the Ms and replaced by Michael Morse, who coincidentally was also acquired from the Sox.

White Sox Josh
06-21-2005, 02:03 PM
of the 'sellers' I would consider any of the following (their availability is yet to be determined):

Torres (PIT)
Gonzalez (PIT)
2005 #s are iffy but has good past #s
Grabow (PIT)
Baez (TB)
Colome (TB)
2005 #s are iffy but has good past #s, and he's on the DL
Carvajal (COL)
very young, but very good - kinda like a RH version of Cotts
Affeldt (KC)
he's on the DL... and I don't see any inner-division deals coming any time soon

Just remember that KW traded for Schoeneweis in 2003 at the break. He came from the Angels who were seemingly a contender. A team doesn't have to be a seller to make a deal. They Sox are pitching-rich this season and the talk here is "Trade Vizcaino" so who knows what might happen. (the other Josh) Fields and Baj look really good too...the angels were in 3rd place at the time however they were 15 games under .500. That's being a seller alright.

scottjanssens
06-21-2005, 02:24 PM
You mean the Kelly Wunsch who's given up 17 hits and 9 BB in 19 IP for the Dodgers? THAT Kelly Wunsch? Good choice.

Okay, let's compare:

WHIP
Wunsch 1.35 Marte 1.67

Inherited runners / scored
Wunsch 6/36 (16.67%) Marte 6/16 (37.5%)

Blown saves:
Wunsch 1 Marte 3

I think it would have been a good choice.

DaleJRFan
06-21-2005, 02:31 PM
the angels were in 3rd place at the time however they were 15 games under .500. That's being a seller alright.

OOPS. yea, I wasn't positive... so I said "seemingly" LOL

Ol' No. 2
06-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Okay, let's compare:

WHIP
Wunsch 1.35 Marte 1.67

Inherited runners / scored
Wunsch 6/36 (16.67%) Marte 6/16 (37.5%)

Blown saves:
Wunsch 1 Marte 3

I think it would have been a good choice.I don't ever want to see Kelly Wunch unless he's wearing an opposing team's uniform. He was destined to be a career minor leaguer until he came up with a gimmick delivery that got him to the majors long enough to go a couple times around the league. Once everyone had seen it, it stopped being effective. He's become marginally effective again, having moved to the NL, but the same result will follow soon enough.

scottjanssens
06-21-2005, 02:46 PM
I don't ever want to see Kelly Wunch unless he's wearing an opposing team's uniform. He was destined to be a career minor leaguer until he came up with a gimmick delivery that got him to the majors long enough to go a couple times around the league. Once everyone had seen it, it stopped being effective.

That's what folks say about Shingo too. I don't buy it about him, and I don't buy it about Wunsch.

Rocky Soprano
06-21-2005, 02:51 PM
I hope you are joking.

I have no idea why I said Sweeney. I knew it was Reed.

DaleJRFan
06-21-2005, 02:59 PM
I have no idea why I said Sweeney. I knew it was Reed.

LOL. I was "that close" to calling the teal police.

Ol' No. 2
06-21-2005, 03:11 PM
That's what folks say about Shingo too. I don't buy it about him, and I don't buy it about Wunsch.There are a few big differences.

1. Shingo has been successful for a long time in the Japanese leagues doing what he's been doing. Wunch had very short-lived success.

2. Shingo does not depend on a gimmick delivery. He depends on changing speeds and movement on his fastball. This worked 100 years ago and it works today. Wunsch does neither of these well.

White Sox Josh
06-21-2005, 04:18 PM
There are a few big differences.

1. Shingo has been successful for a long time in the Japanese leagues doing what he's been doing. Wunch had very short-lived success.

2. Shingo does not depend on a gimmick delivery. He depends on changing speeds and movement on his fastball. This worked 100 years ago and it works today. Wunsch does neither of these well.Wunsch's arm was about to fall off when he was with the Sox while I believe that Shingo is in good shape in terms of health. Unless the Sox are acting like the Cubs and hiding something.

Fenway
06-21-2005, 04:30 PM
call 617 267 9440 ask for Theo

player below maybe available :?:

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/mlb/2002/0406/photo/a_foulke_i.jpg

santo=dorf
06-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Valdez was designated for assignment after Ozuna made the team out of ST. The Mets picked him up off of the waiver wire. They waived him seemingly hours later where the Mariners snagged him. He has since been killed by the Ms and replaced by Michael Morse, who coincidentally was also acquired from the Sox.

Valdez was traded from the Mariners to the Padres a couple of weeks ago. He's in AAA.