PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy not liked????

diamondkings29
06-21-2005, 12:59 PM
WOW!!! I just got off the phone with a source in Charlotte and it appears that BMac is not liked at ALL.

Sox Brass have been saying that he has been working on pitching outside the box and so forth and the clubhouse is saying that he has been getting lit in Charlotte just as bad as he got lit last night.....and they were happy to see him get lit.

I guess it stems from personal issues that are going on in that clubhouse........which is a shame since that energy should be devoted to the ball field so they can win a few games instead of being the laughing stock of the league.

I think I saw a thread that said that BMac still thought he was in Chicago while in Charlotte. How true......

maurice
06-21-2005, 01:02 PM
they were happy to see him get lit.

Anybody in the Sox organization who is happy to see a Sox pitcher give up runs should be fired immediately. Shades of Wally Backman.

diamondkings29
06-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Agreed Maurice......anytime personal issues get that bad it appears to show in their play....as it has.

BHAMBARONS
06-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Anybody in the Sox organization who is happy to see a Sox pitcher give up runs should be fired immediately. Shades of Wally Backman.

Even Wally didn't go that far against his own players, I agree maurice this person should be fired immediately. No excuse to have an instructor to root against his own players makes me sick

:angry:

Randar68
06-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Even Wally didn't go that far against his own players, I agree maurice this person should be fired immediately. No excuse to have an instructor to root against his own players makes me sick

:angry:

I don't think anyone said anything about the "source" being coaches or staff of any kind. It could very easily be other players...

diamondkings29
06-21-2005, 03:52 PM
I wont state who was the source, but it was 100% NOT A COACH OR MEMBER OF THE OFFICE STAFF........Randar your warm......

Madvora
06-21-2005, 04:06 PM
This seems like it's headed directly to What's The Score at best.
Maybe the Roadhouse.

NSSoxFan
06-21-2005, 04:09 PM
I wont state who was the source, but it was 100% NOT A COACH OR MEMBER OF THE OFFICE STAFF........Randar your warm......

This is a joke...right?

Take your 'source' and shove it.

:rolleyes:

maurice
06-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Was it Brent Tomko?

BHAMBARONS
06-21-2005, 04:10 PM
I don't think anyone said anything about the "source" being coaches or staff of any kind. It could very easily be other players...

That's my bad I Misread the post

Baby Fisk
06-21-2005, 04:29 PM
...or just as easily one individual with an axe to grind...

Randar68
06-21-2005, 04:33 PM
...or just as easily one individual with an axe to grind...

Possible as always. It doesn't matter who it is. The personal issues and clubhouse chemistry in the minor leagues is, more often than not, not something you can post a source on or should be willing to, so it is also something that is most often best left unsaid or restricted to private messages. There are those around this board and others close enough to the situation to have valuable insight and hear a lot of "things", but I think personal issues and "like/dislike" is not something that should be a focus of threads on these boards...

JMHO.

diamondkings29
06-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Sorry if it was not the place to state what I stated earlier. Everyone disregards the minors as they do not matter. The guys on the team don't like to go out there day in and day out and get their teeth kicked in. They are just as competitive if not more because they want to get their cup of coffee.

However it appears that when he felt a big fish in AAA and then went to Chicago and then sent back down, he made teammates in the clubhouse feel very 'unworthy'

And the source is very valid, whether they should be considered one or not is not the question.....

It is sad that losing seasons always generate this behavior.

infohawk
06-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Who knows if any of this is true, but keep in mind that there could be a certain amount of professional jealousy involved. McCarthy is a guy fairly new to the minors, yet he is rocketing through the system and has already been to "the show." The coaches with the White Sox are high on him, and his minor league teammates probably read the stories about him on the internet and in the papers just like we do. These guys are professional athletes and competitive by nature.

McCarthy also strikes me as a pretty serious guy who focuses on the job at hand. It has been said that he is very mature and composed for his age. Perhaps this is mistaken for aloofness or arrogance.

Randar68
06-21-2005, 04:49 PM
It is sad that losing seasons always generate this behavior.

Like they say, it's easy to be agreeable and get along when everything is going well.

There are a lot of minor league vets who haven't been able to stick in the majors who I'd imagine would be pretty upset if a kid who had yet to prove anything started acting "big time"

Randar68
06-21-2005, 04:51 PM
McCarthy also strikes me as a pretty serious guy who focuses on the job at hand. It has been said that he is very mature and composed for his age. Perhaps this is mistaken for aloofness or arrogance.

That is very accurate, in my experience and yes, I do think the 2 are easily mistaken... can be difficult to distinguish at times.

ondafarm
06-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Having played a ball game or two, my opinion is that a 21 year old who was slated to stay at AA and due to a good spring had a shot at the big league staff and was the first call up and even got a few starts is going to get a little bit of the cold shoulder treatment, particularly when the AAA club is not doing well and a bunch of professional minor leaguers, who were all hoping for their cup of coffee in the bigs are stuck.

I always played as if I'd never make the show and I could have if my knees had held out and I'd had some luck. Then again, I had something to fall back on. A lot of guys are going to be bitter and McCarthy does nothing to settle things down.

Heck, if he was popular in AAA Charlotte, I'd be worried.

Hangar18
06-21-2005, 05:09 PM
There are a lot of minor league vets who haven't been able to stick in the majors who I'd imagine would be pretty upset if a kid who had yet to prove anything started acting "big time"

The Messiah ??

Optipessimism
06-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Having played a ball game or two, my opinion is that a 21 year old who was slated to stay at AA and due to a good spring had a shot at the big league staff and was the first call up and even got a few starts is going to get a little bit of the cold shoulder treatment, particularly when the AAA club is not doing well and a bunch of professional minor leaguers, who were all hoping for their cup of coffee in the bigs are stuck.

I always played as if I'd never make the show and I could have if my knees had held out and I'd had some luck. Then again, I had something to fall back on. A lot of guys are going to be bitter and McCarthy does nothing to settle things down.

Heck, if he was popular in AAA Charlotte, I'd be worried.

I was thinking the same thing as well. But who cares, anyway? Besides Brandon and Anderson, how many legit prospects do we even have at AAA? Or is that it?

Mr. White Sox
06-22-2005, 12:14 AM
bajenaru is legit, from what i've heard...i know very, very little about the farm though.

EastCoastSoxFan
06-23-2005, 12:42 PM
That is very accurate, in my experience and yes, I do think the 2 are easily mistaken... can be difficult to distinguish at times.
A classic example of this is Steve Carlton, who is generally considered one of the least-liked players ever to put on a Phillies uniform. It wasn't that he intentionally acted like a jerk, but he just didn't like to talk to anyone: media, teammates, or fans; and during the games he pitched he sat by himself at the end of the bench where no one dared to tread.
Now if he had been a .500 pitcher and the Phillies had been a .500 team he would been permanently slapped with the old "clubhouse cancer" tag; but because he won over 300 games and the Phillies were contenders for a solid decade (including a WS win in '80), he was known as "intense", "competitive", and "focused".
Obviously BMac has a long way to go before he'd ever be mentioned in the same breath as Steve Carlton, but the point is that being well-liked is not necessarily a prerequisite for being a great teammate...

Rex Hudler
06-25-2005, 02:45 PM
I have heard rumblings about Brandon being cocky and arrogant before. I didn't really get any of that when he was in Birmingham, but that was only about a month so its hard to say.

I agree with randar and infohawk that jealousy could very well be a factor. Another is that Charlotte flat out sucks. I have been around enough teams to know that when things are going well, everybody seems like a great guy. When a team is bad and losing, guys become *******s. Everyone looks to blame someone and to deflect attention from themselves.

I'd say that if there is resentment from other players in Charlotte, it is probably a combination of jealousy, the confident way Brandon carries himself, the positive praise and press he has received and general unhappiness from players on a team that is 30 games under .500.

Players tend to become very selfish during seasons like this one for Charlotte and the clubhouse atmosphere can border on miserable.

Chisoxfn
06-26-2005, 03:25 AM
Don't worry about this. Brandon will be sucessful. He has some things he has to work on to get back into his groove, but it will happen.