PDA

View Full Version : Pitching Matchups for weekend series v. Cubs

firejauron
06-21-2005, 11:17 AM
What are the pitching matchups looking like for this weekends series against the Cubs? I'm hoping we can somehow avoid throwing McCarthy against the Cubs, especially considering they've already seen him once this season.

boiler up
06-21-2005, 11:21 AM
i was under the impression that some switches were going to be made in the pitching lineups, but ozzie is not sure yet. plus he hates changing them around, even if it's a big series.

firejauron
06-21-2005, 11:25 AM
i was under the impression that some switches were going to be made in the pitching lineups, but ozzie is not sure yet. plus he hates changing them around, even if it's a big series.

Yeah i figured it was still up in the air. I'm going to Saturday's game and was curious if anyone had heard who is throwing.

Rocky Soprano
06-21-2005, 11:28 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52425

skottyj242
06-21-2005, 11:28 AM
This Series Is No Bigger Than The Series Against The Royals This Week Or The Tigers Next Week.

SOXPHILE
06-21-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm hearing now that The Messiah, Mark Prior (Praise Be His Name), is not going to the minors for a rehab start or two, and is going to throw a simulated game today (Tuesday), and could then pitch on Sunday against the Sox. How is this even possible ? He suffered that hairline fracture less than two months ago. How can this not be considered rushing someone back ?

cheeses_h_rice
06-21-2005, 11:52 AM
I'm hearing now that The Messiah, Mark Prior (Praise Be His Name), is not going to the minors for a rehab start or two, and is going to throw a simulated game today (Tuesday), and could then pitch on Sunday against the Sox. How is this even possible ? He suffered that hairline fracture less than two months ago. How can this not be considered rushing someone back ?

Desperate times, desperate measures, etc.

BRDSR
06-21-2005, 11:53 AM

I agree. Apparently he's been throwing for at least ten days now though. It's hard to believe. Watching that ball go off his elbow I thought his career was over.

In the Herald Ozzie was quoted as saying that with the off-day on Thursday they may just skip BMac's spot and go straight to Garland on Sunday. He also talked about splitting up the Cubans' starts.

Cubbiesuck13
06-21-2005, 12:00 PM
If this season was down the drain then this series would be huge. As it is, the Royals and the Tigers are bigger games because as much as I love beating those jackasses from the north side, I love having a commanding lead as well as a great record against the best division in baseball. This is a huge series for the fans and if the players and the management are better off if they view this as just another series. I can't believe I feel this way... I still want them to beat the crap out of them though.

scottjanssens
06-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Yeah i figured it was still up in the air. I'm going to Saturday's game and was curious if anyone had heard who is throwing.

More than likely it will be Contreras. If they alter the rotation, then Garland on Sunday and McCarthey (Duque) on Monday.

LauraJ14
06-21-2005, 12:32 PM
More than likely it will be Contreras. If they alter the rotation, then Garland on Sunday and McCarthey (Duque) on Monday.

Sox are off on Monday, play in Detroit Tuesday-Thursday.

elrod
06-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Is there any need to throw McCarthy at all anymore? We have an off day on Thursday and then on Monday again. I understand not skipping regular guys but McCarthy is not a regular starter. He is a fill-in. He could stay up and work out of the pen in long relief if necessary. The next time we would need the El Duque/McCarthy slot is the Tampa Bay series and that's easily 15 days past El Duque's DL stint began (retroactive to last Wednesday).

scottjanssens
06-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Is there any need to throw McCarthy at all anymore? We have an off day on Thursday and then on Monday again. I understand not skipping regular guys but McCarthy is not a regular starter. He is a fill-in.

I'd throw him. Sure you could skip his spot with normal rest, but you're still putting more innings on the arms of the other starters. I'm also of the opinion that experience is experience. I'm not much on the opinion that young pitchers need to have their confidence protected. If a few shaky outings is enough for a pitcher to lose his confidence, he's not likely to be very successful anyway. I prefer a mentality like Garcia who when he gets roughed up a little usually buckles down and starts putting zeroes up on the board. Alhough it would be nice if he did the whole buckling down thing in the first inning.

Eddie Gaedel
06-21-2005, 12:50 PM
This year I'm way less pumped up about the crosstown series. When you've got a good team, you just want them to play their division rivals. In the past, we needed to beat the flubs for bragging rights. This year, our record speaks for itself.

elrod
06-21-2005, 01:32 PM
I'd throw him. Sure you could skip his spot with normal rest, but you're still putting more innings on the arms of the other starters. I'm also of the opinion that experience is experience. I'm not much on the opinion that young pitchers need to have their confidence protected. If a few shaky outings is enough for a pitcher to lose his confidence, he's not likely to be very successful anyway. I prefer a mentality like Garcia who when he gets roughed up a little usually buckles down and starts putting zeroes up on the board. Alhough it would be nice if he did the whole buckling down thing in the first inning.

I'm not worried about McCarthy's confidence. I just don't think he's a big league pitcher yet, period. Sure, he pitched well against the Cubs last time but I wouldn't count on it again. You throw the fill-in starter when you NEED to, not just to give some guy a chance to develop. If we have a big lead in September then we can throw B-Mac for fun. Or if we absolutely need him, like yesterday, then throw him. But if it's not necessary, why bother? Frankly, I don't even see why this should be controversial. If a guy is injured and an off-day lets you skip his turn, why not do it? Seems a no-brainer.

scottjanssens
06-21-2005, 01:46 PM
If a guy is injured and an off-day lets you skip his turn, why not do it? Seems a no-brainer.

Because it might mean an extra starts for the top of the rotation in September. Not a huge deal if you do it once. But if you do it as a matter of course then you could build up too many innings for your starters. Especially ours which tend to pitch late into the game.

I think the bigger difference is BMac playing with pros around him. Obviously, I've nothing to base this opinion on, but I think it provides much more develpment opportunity to have a great D behind him, but even moreso throwing to A.J. (as I said, this could be complete bunk.)

firejauron
06-21-2005, 02:43 PM

Thanks a lot Scott. I'm going to the game with 15 guys, I think about 12 are Flub fans. They'll be happy to hear it's Contreras as that means the beer vendors will probably be selling for a good 40 minutes longer than they ordinarily would. Hopefully he brings his A game as I don't want to hear their crap (it doesn't seem to faze them that we're 25 games about .500) if we drop this one.

scottjanssens
06-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks a lot Scott. I'm going to the game with 15 guys, I think about 12 are Flub fans. They'll be happy to hear it's Contreras as that means the beer vendors will probably be selling for a good 40 minutes longer than they ordinarily would. Hopefully he brings his A game as I don't want to hear their crap (it doesn't seem to faze them that we're 25 games about .500) if we drop this one.

I will point out that Contreras has 7 pitches in the first inning on Sunday. He started out very well and made it to into the 7th with under 100 pitches.

Dick Allen
06-21-2005, 03:00 PM
I'd skip McCarthy. I want them to beat on the Cubs like a drum, and I don't see that happening if McCarthy pitches. I don't care if it damages his confidence, this isn't an exhibition game. Of course, Garland could always have one of his "Judy performances".