PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie might split the Cubans

The Dude
06-21-2005, 08:48 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug21.html

If Hernandez returns to the rotation, Guillen might consider moving Jon Garland between Jose Contreras and Hernandez. Garland has been following Hernandez. If Brandon McCarthy performs well, it's possible Garland would pitch between Contreras and McCarthy. ''We might -- we're not sure -- to make sure we have somebody in the middle to protect our bullpen [from overuse],'' Guillen said. ''But right now, we don't have anything in mind. We might wait to see when that day comes up what strategy we're going to do.''

The next time it comes up is Sunday vs. the Cubs. If Garland is moved to that game instead of his regular assignment Monday, it still would be with a full four days' rest because of a day off Thursday.

BeviBall!
06-21-2005, 08:52 AM
I hope not; don't tinker with what ain't broken. The Cubs series is just another series. How many times did Manuel set his rotation specially for the cubs only to get swept by whomever they played next?

Kuzman
06-21-2005, 08:52 AM
I was just mentioning this same thing to my buddy. Plus that would give us Garland on Sunday against the Cubbies. I think it'll be easier to sweep the cubbies this way. :) I dont think hes gonna do this just for the cubs series but you have Detroit coming in against McCarthy then Buehrle and Freddy.

The Dude
06-21-2005, 09:17 AM
I hope not; don't tinker with what ain't broken. The Cubs series is just another series. How many times did Manuel set his rotation specially for the cubs only to get swept by whomever they played next?

I dont think who the Sox are playing matters with this switch. Its been a long time coming and helps to not use the bullpen in back to back days.

LauraJ14
06-21-2005, 09:22 AM

Sorry but I would rather have Garland on Sunday against the Cubs, the Sox have another off day on Monday anyways so you then have Buehrle, Garcia and Contreras against Detroit. Much better and have Brandon in the bullpen.

34 Inch Stick
06-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Save resetting the rotation until the All Star break. At that point Contrearas should be 3rd and Garland 4th.

scottjanssens
06-21-2005, 09:50 AM
That would be a good move. It would be a natural start for Garland on Sunday (4 days rest) and would help the bullpen enormously.I think he would have done it sooner but that might have sent a message of dissatisfaction. With Duque on the DL and a rookie pitcher, now he has an excuse for changing the rotation.

downstairs
06-21-2005, 09:53 AM
As long as he's not doing it just for the Cubs. THEY'RE A FRIGGIN' .500 TEAM! It would be like us making a move only to win a Detroit series...

mjharrison72
06-21-2005, 09:55 AM
I'd rather have the Cubans split up, too. I don't think it would really mess with the chemistry, and I usually feel like that's the weak spot in our rotation.

kittle42
06-21-2005, 02:23 PM
I say split 'em up. I hate back-to-back 3:30+ games. :smile:

DaleJRFan
06-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Move JG to #3 in the rotation after the break. If Buehrle is following the Cubans, the bullpen automatically gets a day off. :D:

StillMissOzzie
06-21-2005, 03:10 PM
What a brilliant idea - glad I thought of it about a week ago...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52088

SMO
:o:

Optipessimism
06-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Yeah, I'm sure no one else thought of this before.

Cubbiesuck13
06-22-2005, 12:19 AM

How many times did Manuel have a team with these results?I didn't mind Manuel switching up the rotation for the Flub series because most of the time it was going to be our biggest series of the year. I don't think that changing the rotation because the Flubs are in town is a good idea this year. If there are more reasons behind it (which there has to be because we had this situation all ready this year) then I am all for it. The Oz has been the man this year and I trust him untill he proves me wrong.