PDA

View Full Version : Big Mac getting married

Paulwny
11-16-2001, 08:26 PM
Friday, November 16, 2001

Mark McGwire ready to marry again now that baseball career is over
ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Mark McGwire is leaving baseball and is ready to get married again.

The St. Louis Cardinals slugger became engaged last month to 24-year-old Stephanie Slemer of Glen Carbon, Ill., a St. Louis suburb, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

Slemer has moved to Huntington Beach, Calif., where she is living with McGwire. No specific wedding plans have been made.

Slemer graduated from Eastern Illinois and worked as a sales representative for a St. Louis pharmaceutical company. She met McGwire early last year through a mutual friend.

The 38-year-old McGwire, whose first marriage ended in divorce, retired this month after a 16-season career in which he hit 583 homers. This will be Slemer's first marriage.

"My parents weren't big sports fans, so they weren't as gaga over him as some parents might be," Slemer told the newspaper. "Once they met him, they got to know him and they absolutely love him."

I think she really said, "Once they met him and saw his bank account they absolutely love him".

Daver
11-16-2001, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Friday, November 16, 2001

Mark McGwire ready to marry again now that baseball career is over
ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Mark McGwire is leaving baseball and is ready to get married again.

The St. Louis Cardinals slugger became engaged last month to 24-year-old Stephanie Slemer of Glen Carbon, Ill., a St. Louis suburb, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

Slemer has moved to Huntington Beach, Calif., where she is living with McGwire. No specific wedding plans have been made.

Slemer graduated from Eastern Illinois and worked as a sales representative for a St. Louis pharmaceutical company. She met McGwire early last year through a mutual friend.

The 38-year-old McGwire, whose first marriage ended in divorce, retired this month after a 16-season career in which he hit 583 homers. This will be Slemer's first marriage.

"My parents weren't big sports fans, so they weren't as gaga over him as some parents might be," Slemer told the newspaper. "Once they met him, they got to know him and they absolutely love him."

I think she really said, "Once they met him and saw his bank account they absolutely love him".

I give a lot of credit to Mark for retiring the way he did,he left 30 mil on the table and walked away because he felt he couldn't play the game to his own standards,as opposed to how many over the hill players that keep trotting out there after they are way past their prime just to collect a paycheck.I was not a Mcgwire fan till now.

KempersRS
11-16-2001, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by daver

I give a lot of credit to Mark for retiring the way he did,he left 30 mil on the table and walked away because he felt he couldn't play the game to his own standards,as opposed to how many over the hill players that keep trotting out there after they are way past their prime just to collect a paycheck.I was not a Mcgwire fan till now.

I agree, money was never first with him, neither were stats, he is a class act. I truly believe him when he says he played for the love of the game. I loved Sammy's quote when learning of Mac's reitrement...It was something to the affect of 'I can't believe he would retire when he is at 583 home runs' reffering to Mac's ability to get to 600.
:shammy
I play for the love of my stats.

Paulwny
11-16-2001, 08:35 PM

I also gained some respect for Mac. Will Harold see the light?

RedPinStripes
11-16-2001, 08:40 PM
I don't think Harold knows that he's old, bad, and his great fans are losing resect for him.

JoeBatters
11-16-2001, 11:08 PM
Allright gentlemen lets REALLY look whats going on here .
The mans rich beyond belief .
And he now has a 24 year old women to have sex with !
What would you do ?
Sounds like hes gonna go have fun to me . Alot of fun !
Yes i know this sounds brutal , but thats why they call me the
" Say it like it is guy "

He's played his dues and now it's time for fun !

Did i like him ? NO ! I remeber the Oakland Days ********

Bash bro.'s , PUKE !

RedPinStripes
11-17-2001, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by WASP
Allright gentlemen lets REALLY look whats going on here .
The mans rich beyond belief .
And he now has a 24 year old women to have sex with !
What would you do ?
Sounds like hes gonna go have fun to me . Alot of fun !
Yes i know this sounds brutal , but thats why they call me the
" Say it like it is guy "

He's played his dues and now it's time for fun !

Did i like him ? NO ! I remeber the Oakland Days ********

Bash bro.'s , PUKE !

Bash brothers and that damn team of 90 only makes me think of 1 thing :chunks

FarWestChicago
11-17-2001, 12:26 AM
Excellent use of the chunks tag, CB. It's usually pulled out for Moronotti and Clueless articles. :)

doublem23
11-17-2001, 12:58 AM

McGwire decision the honorable thing (http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news_story.jsp?article_id=mlb_20011112_baumanm ac_cols&team_id=mlb)

Yeah, it may be baseball propaganda, but at least this time it's not all about the money.

RedPinStripes
11-17-2001, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Excellent use of the chunks tag, CB. It's usually pulled out for Moronotti and Clueless articles. :)

Well, if we were bringing up the bash brothers, I thought is was the perfect time to use it.

Jerry_Manuel
11-17-2001, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Excellent use of the chunks tag, CB. It's usually pulled out for Moronotti and Clueless articles. :(

Let the record show it is: Clueless.
Don't want the new guys to get confused.

ExSoxFan
11-18-2001, 12:26 PM
I actually feel sorry for that girl, because McGwire has become one of the all-time great complainers! I was a big fan of his until he started whining about everything under the sun. What's he so crabby about? He had a GREAT job, for a GREAT salary, and a 24-year-old girlfriend on top of that! That's not bad for an aging ballpayer with HORRENDOUS skin! Te guy's face looks like the surface of the moon, for cryin' out loud!!

The cynic in me says that Mark McGwire the gas station attendant would not get the same calibre of fiancee that Mark McGwire the millionaire ex-ballplayer does... no kidding, right???

RedPinStripes
11-19-2001, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by ExSoxFan
I actually feel sorry for that girl, because McGwire has become one of the all-time great complainers! I was a big fan of his until he started whining about everything under the sun. What's he so crabby about? He had a GREAT job, for a GREAT salary, and a 24-year-old girlfriend on top of that! That's not bad for an aging ballpayer with HORRENDOUS skin! Te guy's face looks like the surface of the moon, for cryin' out loud!!

The cynic in me says that Mark McGwire the gas station attendant would not get the same calibre of fiancee that Mark McGwire the millionaire ex-ballplayer does... no kidding, right???

McGuire was being a little bitch about everything at the end there. I think he could have had another big year or 2 left in him. If you have millions in the bank and a 24 year old hottie when you're in your later 30's , why wouldn't you retire? I would retire, but that's me.

ExSoxFan? Please don't tell me you converted to a cub fan.