PDA

View Full Version : Ever been denied service at a bar because you were a Sox fan?

Foulke You
06-20-2005, 05:36 PM
I'm posting this because service has been denied to me to me TWICE in the last month and I'm wondering if this has happened to any other Sox fans recently. It is a new experience for me and I'm wondering if it has to do with our team's great success this year. Anyway, here is my story:

1st Incident- Bar- "Chicago City Limits" (Schaumburg)
I had been meeting several of my Sox fan friends on Monday nights because of a great beer bomber special they had and because the bar was close to their house. The previous Mondays we had been there since the Sox either weren't playing or were playing on the west coast late at night. This time however it was a 7:05 start so we decided to watch the Sox game there. My girlfriend and I get there just before game time and we're both wearing our Sox jerseys. After about 10 min (which is ridiculous because the place was dead), a waitress finally comes over to our table and takes our drink order. After ordering our beer, I ask if she can turn on the Sox game on one of the TVs near our table. Keep in mind there are about 12 TVs in this corner of the bar all lined up next to each other just in the section where we are sitting. There are probably 40 TVs total in the whole place. 5 of the TVs has a Yankee game on, and the others have Sportscenter and other non sports programming on it. She looks me square in the eye without a smile on her face and says "no, I don't think so". I asked her why not and she said that the owners "didn't like it and don't want them messing with the TVs". At this point, I was livid as I was missing the game and I asked where the manager was. She pointed me to this fat middle aged woman behind the bar. I told her I would like the Sox game turned on one of the TVs where I'm sitting. She told me "Well, I don't know, I have the Cubs game coming on in a few minutes." I could tell this wasn't the usual playful Cubs vs Sox fan ribbing, this woman genuinely didn't like me for the team I was cheering for and had no intention of turning the Sox game on. I told her that I'm not here to watch the Cubs, you have 12 TVs over there and if one of them doesn't get the Sox game turned on I'm walking out and calling my 4 friends and telling them we're going somewhere else to watch the game. She reluctantly gave in and turned it on but did so with a frown on her face. I'm thinking ***??!! This is a SPORTS bar in a Chicago suburb! Turn on Chicago SPORTS when a fan comes in and asks for it! I understand Schaumburg has more Cub fans but c'mon!! Why would you turn business away?? Needless to say, we stayed only for 2 beers and then left. I wasn't giving my money to a place that obviously doesn't want it. I haven't been back to that place since then.

The 2nd incident- Restaurant/Bar City's north side (can't remember name)
I walk into a restaurant last Wednesday on the city's north side to meet a friend who lives near there. My friend and I seat ourselves in the COMPLETELY EMPTY RESTAURANT. We decided on this place because we saw through the window that they had widescreen TVs all over the place and we'd be able to keep tabs on the Sox while eating dinner. We notice they had the TV show "What's Happening" on all 8 widescreen TVs in the bar/restaurant which we thought was pretty funny. The waitress comes over and we kindly ask her if she can put the Sox game on the TV for us. She gives me a dirty look (like the other place, this wasn't playful Cubs vs Sox ribbing) and says "I don't think we can do that". I got upset since and I told her she can either figure out how to put it on or we would leave and go somewhere that they would put the game on for us. She then tried to justify her position saying "C'mon! We're in Wrigleyville, you shouldn't be asking for the Sox game" (we actually weren't, we were about 2 miles from Wrigleyville...I just love how the entire north side of the city is called Wrigleyville now) She then proceeded to say, "I bet bars on the south side don't turn Cubs games on." I told her she was wrong and that I've been to bars on the south side that had the Cubs game on and my friend told her how ridiculous this whole discussion was since there was NOBODY else in the bar besides us, why wouldn't you take care of the only customers in the place? She told me that she'd be right back and we proceeded to sit there for 5 minutes. After we realized the game wasn't coming on and we apparently weren't going to be able to place a food order or drink order, we left and went to a different north side bar called "The Rail" on Damen which was a half mile from the place that refused us service. The Rail was great and I highly recommend it, they had the Sox game on 5 widescreen TVs (we didn't have to ask, they had it on), cheap food and beer, and there were a bunch of Sox fans at the bar watching the game too. We got there just in time to see the big inning where the Sox scored 10 runs and had a great time. It was shocking to see the Sox game and Sox fans at a bar in "Wrigleyville". This was one of the rare times I wish my phone had a camera. I would have taken a picture of the Sox fans and walked back to that other restaurant just to show her that bars in the area have the Sox on and unlike their place, are making money off them.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Dick Allen
06-20-2005, 05:51 PM
First off, I would have told those waitresses "no wonder this place is empty". Then tip over a few chairs "accidently" as I walk out.

Nixey 02
06-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Ah, "The Rail," site of the dear, departed "Simply Ray's" a ratty bar that billed itself as a "Your Northside Sox bar." Great food, cheap drinks, and Sox fans.
Glad to hear that "The Rail" is accommodating to Sox fans.

Hangar18
06-20-2005, 05:57 PM
First off, I would have told those waitresses "no wonder this place is empty". Then tip over a few chairs "accidently" as I walk out.

HEH HEHEHE, I like that. Let me go with you next time ......not only will
they put the game on the Big Screens, I'll make sure you get a round or two
for your "trouble" ...........

CHIsoxNation
06-20-2005, 06:00 PM
When I was attending ISU last year I had the same type of thing happen to me. A few friends and I (all sox fans) went to a bar in downtown Bloomington to eat, drink and enjoy the game. All of the TVs were set to either MOVIE stations or ESPN news. We kindly asked if we could have the White Sox game on the TV closest to us and she said she would have to ask her manager...

She came back and told us that we couldn't because nobody wants to watch the sox game (there were 7 other people in this large bar). We started getting very pissed and asked to speak to her manager as well. When she came out we told her that this was ridiculous and we would leave if they don't put the game on the ONE tv closest to us. Keep in mind there are probably 10-12 TVs in there. She refused and said "Look around, this is a Cubs town. Sox fans are the outcasts." We then proceeded to go off on her until she almost called the police. We left the bar and watched the game at our house and got sloppy drunk.

I couldn't believe her though.

Chisox003
06-20-2005, 06:06 PM
When I was attending ISU last year I had the same type of thing happen to me. A few friends and I (all sox fans) went to a bar in downtown Bloomington to eat, drink and enjoy the game. All of the TVs were set to either MOVIE stations or ESPN news. We kindly asked if we could have the White Sox game on the TV closest to us and she said she would have to ask her manager...

She came back and told us that we couldn't because nobody wants to watch the sox game (there were 7 other people in this large bar). We started getting very pissed and asked to speak to her manager as well. When she came out we told her that this was ridiculous and we would leave if they don't put the game on the ONE tv closest to us. Keep in mind there are probably 10-12 TVs in there. She refused and said "Look around, this is a Cubs town. Sox fans are the outcasts." We then proceeded to go off on her until she almost called the police. We left the bar and watched the game at our house and got sloppy drunk.

I like how you went out of your way to add this to your story :wink: :gulp:

Foulke You
06-20-2005, 06:08 PM

What amazes me about stories like yours and my experiences is that THESE PEOPLE ARE RUNNING A SPORTS BAR! Your job is to put SPORTS on when people come in! It's just good business! Most bars have tons of TVs and to have one of them with the Sox game on it is not asking much. I'm a diehard Sox fan but if I owned a sports bar, and a Cub fan came in and asked to have the game on, I would do it in a second. You know why? Because I'd want their money regardless of what team they cheered for! Playful ribbing is fine at bars, I expect it because of the Sox/Cubs rivalry but to deny someone service because of the baseball team they cheer for is ridiculous and bad business. Bottom line.

chidavid18
06-20-2005, 06:10 PM
:rolleyes:white sox fans like Out of towner's. I had to ask 3 times when they where playing on the west coast to get a t.v. tuned to the White Sox game. They only care about the CUBS because they are cooler then the sox. :rolleyes:

harwar
06-20-2005, 06:16 PM
Frankly i'm shocked at this as nothing of the kind has ever happened to me over a baseball game.
I can't imaging being so petty about turning on a White sox game.
Once when the ship i was on put in to Galveston we trashed the place because they wouldn't serve one of us,who was an african-american.

MtEverett
06-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Not denied service; but had a hard time getting a sox game on at school yard tavern last year... school/southport. Places have no argument not to have a game on this year, even up north.

CLR01
06-20-2005, 07:03 PM

That place is a dive and does not deserve anyones business. When visiting your friends go to either Villiage Tavern and Grill or Fox and Hound. Villiage is right down the street and the food is better.

chisoxfan64
06-20-2005, 07:11 PM
That place is a dive and does not deserve anyones business. When visiting your friends go to either Villiage Tavern and Grill or Fox and Hound. Villiage is right down the street and the food is better.

Or Time Out Sports Bar and Grill, On Lake street by Caputo`s. Great food.

Risk
06-20-2005, 07:12 PM
I'm posting this because service has been denied to me to me TWICE in the last month and I'm wondering if this has happened to any other Sox fans recently. It is a new experience for me and I'm wondering if it has to do with our team's great success this year. Anyway, here is my story:

I had been meeting several of my Sox fan friends on Monday nights because of a great beer bomber special they had and because the bar was close to their house. The previous Mondays we had been there since the Sox either weren't playing or were playing on the west coast late at night. This time however it was a 7:05 start so we decided to watch the Sox game there. My girlfriend and I get there just before game time and we're both wearing our Sox jerseys. After about 10 min (which is ridiculous because the place was dead), a waitress finally comes over to our table and takes our drink order. After ordering our beer, I ask if she can turn on the Sox game on one of the TVs near our table. Keep in mind there are about 12 TVs in this corner of the bar all lined up next to each other just in the section where we are sitting. There are probably 40 TVs total in the whole place. 5 of the TVs has a Yankee game on, and the others have Sportscenter and other non sports programming on it. She looks me square in the eye without a smile on her face and says "no, I don't think so". I asked her why not and she said that the owners "didn't like it and don't want them messing with the TVs". At this point, I was livid as I was missing the game and I asked where the manager was. She pointed me to this fat middle aged woman behind the bar. I told her I would like the Sox game turned on one of the TVs where I'm sitting. She told me "Well, I don't know, I have the Cubs game coming on in a few minutes." I could tell this wasn't the usual playful Cubs vs Sox fan ribbing, this woman genuinely didn't like me for the team I was cheering for and had no intention of turning the Sox game on. I told her that I'm not here to watch the Cubs, you have 12 TVs over there and if one of them doesn't get the Sox game turned on I'm walking out and calling my 4 friends and telling them we're going somewhere else to watch the game. She reluctantly gave in and turned it on but did so with a frown on her face. I'm thinking ***??!! This is a SPORTS bar in a Chicago suburb! Turn on Chicago SPORTS when a fan comes in and asks for it! I understand Schaumburg has more Cub fans but c'mon!! Why would you turn business away?? Needless to say, we stayed only for 2 beers and then left. I wasn't giving my money to a place that obviously doesn't want it. I haven't been back to that place since then.

I used to live about 3 blocks from that bar. Now I know why I never went there. It's a dump anyway.

Other than that, I really haven't ever had any problems getting a Sox game turned on. It seems that the yuppies in the NW burbs have an inherent need to not want to piss off broad shouldered Sox fans, b/c Sox fans are all trouble-makers.:wink:

Case in point--Mrs. Risk was at work so myself, CLR and my younger brother (a/k/a "Younger Risk," who sizes up around 6'2, 215 lbs.) were at Bandito's in East Dundee (a cool bar I might add) and the Friday afternoon crowd was there. All we had to do was politely (like we usually do) ask for them to turn on the Sox game. Even though there were only two tvs at the outdoor bar where we were sitting, they flipped on the Sox game right away. Even though there were definetly fans of the unlovable losers there, no one said anything anti-Sox. I love good, professional service.:gulp:

Risk

iamkoza
06-20-2005, 07:13 PM
i cant believe those stories, what f-wads. What makes them look even more stupid is that last monday i was at the cell in the bullpen bar area and they had the cubs game on a few of the tv's... granted i was like *** why is the cubs game on here, but still if the White Sox organization is willing to show the cubs game at their own park, why are bar owners reluctant? MY only guess is that perhaps cub fans would somehow "blacklist" the bars that show sox games... ?

CLR01
06-20-2005, 07:15 PM
I used to live about 3 blocks from that bar. Now I know why I never went there. It's a dump anyway.

Other than that, I really haven't ever had any problems getting a Sox game turned on. It seems that the yuppies in the NW burbs have an inherent need to not want to piss off broad shouldered Sox fans, b/c Sox fans are all trouble-makers.:wink:

Case in point--Mrs. Risk was at work so myself, CLR and my younger brother (a/k/a "Younger Risk," who sizes up around 6'2, 215 lbs.) were at Bandito's in East Dundee (a cool bar I might add) and the Friday afternoon crowd was there. All we had to do was politely (like we usually do) ask for them to turn on the Sox game. Even though there were only two tvs at the outdoor bar where we were sitting, they flipped on the Sox game right away. Even though there were definetly fans of the unlovable losers there, no one said anything anti-Sox. I love good, professional service.:gulp:

Risk

Bandito Barney's rules. We must go back there when I sober up from Saturday. I was actually going to mention that place in my reply because the bartender did give us a little crap but it was all good natured.

Risk
06-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Bandito Barney's rules. We must go back there when I sober up from Saturday. I was actually going to mention that place in my reply because the bartender did give us a little crap but it was all good natured.

Yeah, I forgot about that. I just viewed that though as a little ribbing. Nothing more.

Risk

CLR01
06-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Or Time Out Sports Bar and Grill, On Lake street by Caputo`s. Great food.

I have never been there but I will have to check it out. Bud's sports bar (off of Irving Park Rd in Roselle) used to be a good place to watch a game but they closed a few months ago. I believe I saw a sign that they will be opening again under new management.

Foulke You
06-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Yeah, don't worry, I won't be going back to Chicago City Limits. I've been to Fox and Hound and its nice. A little pricier than I like but good. Never been to Village...might have to check it out.

Uncle_Patrick
06-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Ha! My wife's best friend is a waitress at Chicago City Limits. She's a Cubs fan, too.

I've never been to a place where they wouldn't put on the Sox game. However, I was at Buffalo Wild Wings at Randhurst a few weeks ago and they turned off the Sox game on ALL the TVs in the place once the Cubs game started (I believe that they were on the West Coast). Oddly, there was a substantial number of Sox fans in the place, too. Luckily I was fisnished eating, so it seemed like a good time to leave.

billnahorodny
06-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Not denied service; but had a hard time getting a sox game on at school yard tavern last year... school/southport. Places have no argument not to have a game on this year, even up north.

Forget the schoolyard...walk one block south to Schuba's...very Sox friendly place! I was in there on Saturday watching AJ's walk-off and the whole place was very into the game and cheering loudly when the Sox won!

Irishsox1
06-21-2005, 12:05 AM
I onetime tried to order a Bud-light in Milwaukee and the bartender says "do you know what town your in?"...I was like yea, what's the big deal? He goes into the whole 1982 World Series Cards vs. Brewers thing and says as punishment he'll give me a Schlitz. I took it, drank it down and to show him, I ordered another, and another and...then my memory goes blank.

MUsoxfan
06-21-2005, 12:11 AM
I caught some grief at Ditka's a couple months back. Myself and a couple guys went in there for dinner in our Sox stuff and the waitress halfway-jokingly said that they don't serve Sox fans. They also didn't have the Sox game (in the 5th inning) on any TV. They hesitantly turned it on one TV, and then pretty soon it was on every TV. You'd think they'd treat someone nicely who was about to spend several hundred dollars at dinner.

skobabe8
06-21-2005, 01:36 AM
You guys can come down to the region anytime you want. You wont get that kind of treatment at any establishments here. All of the bars here know if Skobabe catches wind of any of this, there'll be hell to pay. :cool:

jdm2662
06-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Want to hear a good story? At the poker room in Trump Casino in Gary, there are two big screen TVs. There are also a couple of smaller TVs in the corner. The Sox were on the west coast that night. They had the Cubs game and the NBA playoffs on each TV. When the Sox game started, they flipped off the Cubs game for the Sox game and kept the playoff game on. Thought it was kind of funny, but felt it the Cubs game should've been on the other one... Oh well... I've never been denied service because I'm a Sox fan. It's the stupidiest thing I've ever heard. If someone is willing to give me money, they can be a Lakers fan for all I care.
________
Aromed Vaporizers (http://www.vaporshop.com/aromed-vaporizer.html)

The Dude
06-21-2005, 09:45 AM
This reminds me of last season at Northern Illinois Univ. at a bar called Starbusters (one of the biggest bars.)

Well I'll start with this...for one, up until they renovated the place this year, they used to have a Sox dummy hanging from his neck from the ceiling of the bar. That will give you a little background.

I went to the bar with a bunch of friends and a few of us wanted to see the game as we just left from watching half of it. Every single TV in the bar was on the Flubs game. I asked if the TV nearest to us be switched to the Sox game. I also got a sigh and eventually 10 minutes later, one TV was switched. Almost immediately, a group of frat boys watching the Cubs on 20+ screens let out a "what the ****?" and proceeded to complain that one of their precious TV's were turned off the Flubs.

Needless to say, the bars actually advertise in the Northern Star, our newspaper, to come see the Sox play as well as the Cubs. For the past 4 years its only been, "Come to our bar and see the Cubs." I guess its someplace to start.

SoxFan78
06-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Kind of a opposite of all these bars, I think the Buffalo Wild Wings in Elmhurst is leaning more towards the White Sox. It started during the Cubs/Sox game. All the TV's in there had the Cub feed on for pre game, but as soon as the game started, they changed to Hawk and DJ.

Also one night last week, they had the Sox/Arizona game on half the TV's, and the Twins/Giants game on the other.

fox23
06-21-2005, 10:20 AM
What amazes me about stories like yours and my experiences is that THESE PEOPLE ARE RUNNING A SPORTS BAR! Your job is to put SPORTS on when people come in! It's just good business! Most bars have tons of TVs and to have one of them with the Sox game on it is not asking much. I'm a diehard Sox fan but if I owned a sports bar, and a Cub fan came in and asked to have the game on, I would do it in a second. You know why? Because I'd want their money regardless of what team they cheered for! Playful ribbing is fine at bars, I expect it because of the Sox/Cubs rivalry but to deny someone service because of the baseball team they cheer for is ridiculous and bad business. Bottom line.

Absolutely right. Just stop going if they won't put on the game. After I've had problems getting the Sox on at BW3 in Lincoln Park, I just quit going there whenever there was a Cubs game on. I'll just throw a couple of burgers on the grill at home and watch there, its cheaper anyway.

Rocky Soprano
06-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Wow, the last time I went to BW3 over in Scherrerville, I got great service just because I was wearing my Sox hat.

spiffie
06-21-2005, 11:43 AM
I used to go to McNally's in Elmhurst every Tuesday night for their pub trivia quiz, and eventually they learned that if the Sox game wasn't on, my team would be coming up to the bar to complain any moment, so I think sheer force of habit will probably guarantee Sox games there for a long while to come.

In the city, I live in Lincoln Square, and have watched a couple Sox games at the Daily Bar and Grill. The bouncer there on weekends seems to be a big Sox fan, and they've never given me any problems about my allegiance.

SOXPHILE
06-21-2005, 11:55 AM
I've been to all those bars in Schaumburg, and never had a problem with them getting the Sox game put on when we asked. (Village Tavern- mmmmmmm...good chicken fingers), so that's a bit disturbing to hear that story. One of my softball teams is sponsored by a bar called Gators, in Wheeling. We go there every week, and most of us are Sox fans, so they always have the game on at least a couple of the T.V.'s, or they turn it on as soon as they see us coming in.

Foulke You
06-21-2005, 12:07 PM
I used to go to McNally's in Elmhurst every Tuesday night for their pub trivia quiz, and eventually they learned that if the Sox game wasn't on, my team would be coming up to the bar to complain any moment, so I think sheer force of habit will probably guarantee Sox games there for a long while to come.
I did the same thing as you as far as "Sox TV Training" goes. I've trained the waitstaff at RAM in Rosemont to put the Sox games on via email and just because my friends and I go there so often. That place was a Cubs only type bar until we started going there. I never caught flak for asking for the Sox there but I ALWAYS had to ask and sometimes would miss an inning when they were busy and couldn't get to the TV changer right away. I sent a feedback email to them saying that I understand the Cubs are more popular but it would be nice to have the Sox already on a couple of TVs instead of women's tennis and The King of Queens. The management there actually read it (the waitstaff told me they had a meeting and my email was brought up) and they now put Sox games on without asking. Imagine that, a company that actually cares about what their customers think! The only time they drop the ball sometimes is when the Sox are on the west coast or have an odd start time, but they remember almost all of the games now. They even put it up on the big screen when there isn't a Flub game on. I also noticed that they took down half the Bud Light Cubs flags and added some Sox MGD flags on the ceiling in its place so now the ceiling "beer flags" are split evenly.:D: Lo and behold, I've seen more Sox fans hanging out in the place the last few times I've been there too. If you're in that area and looking for a place to watch the Sox, it's a good place to watch the game and the food and microbrews are excellent. On Mondays, they have a $3.00 24oz Microbrew special. I'll probably be there on Friday watching the Sox/Cubs game if anyone is looking for somewhere to watch it with a few Sox fans. Expect some playful ribbing from the waitstaff though as most of them are Cub fans, however, they are friendly Cub fans.

PatK
06-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Any place that refuses you service because of what sports team you watch deserves to be ratted out.

I find it hilarious that a business won't cater to its customers, or that they'll insult them. Any time that happens, I always get a hold of the manager or the owner.

SOXPHILE
06-21-2005, 12:14 PM
I did the same thing as you as far as "Sox TV Training" goes. I've trained the waitstaff at RAM in Rosemont to put the Sox games on via email and just because my friends and I go there so often. That place was a Cubs only type bar until we started going there. I never caught flak for asking for the Sox there but I ALWAYS had to ask and sometimes would miss an inning when they were busy and couldn't get to the TV changer right away. I sent a feedback email to them saying that I understand the Cubs are more popular but it would be nice to have the Sox already on a couple of TVs instead of women's tennis and The King of Queens. The management there actually read it (the waitstaff told me they had a meeting and my email was brought up) and they now put Sox games on without asking. Imagine that, a company that actually cares about what their customers think! The only time they drop the ball sometimes is when the Sox are on the west coast or have an odd start time, but they remember almost all of the games now. They even put it up on the big screen when there isn't a Flub game on. I also noticed that they took down half the Bud Light Cubs flags and added some Sox MGD flags on the ceiling in its place so now the ceiling "beer flags" are split evenly.:D: Lo and behold, I've seen more Sox fans hanging out in the place the last few times I've been there too. If you're in that area and looking for a place to watch the Sox, it's a good place to watch the game and the food and microbrews are excellent. On Mondays, they have a $3.00 24oz Microbrew special. I'll probably be there on Friday watching the Sox/Cubs game if anyone is looking for somewhere to watch it with a few Sox fans. Expect some playful ribbing from the waitstaff though as most of them are Cub fans, however, they are friendly Cub fans.

Same experience with the Ram in Schaumburg. Sometimes they have the Sox game on, but I have had to ask them to put it on sometimes. But the bartender was always nice, and as soon as he got a moment, he went over and put it on a couple of the T.V.'s. Good place to start out a friday evening, good beers, a bit pricey though.

daveeym
06-21-2005, 12:14 PM
I've never had it denied to me but I've had many experiences where it was a huge struggle to get them to turn on a Sox game where I would have to ask about 3 or 4 times to get it on. One recent night at Kincades i asked the waitress to turn the Sox game on and she said "they are on". I politely said, "the White Sox, not the Red Sox." Morons. A bar Blacklist stickied at the top of this forum would be great.

maurice
06-21-2005, 12:19 PM
The few times I've had trouble, I immediately take a loud and informal poll of the room by yelling "does anybody else want to watch the Sox game?" or "is anybody watching this (insert whatever is on the TV)?"

Invariably, the bar contains other Sox fans, general sports fans, or even cub fans who would rather watch the Sox than golf, tennis, stock market roports, or whatever other crap is running opposite the Sox game.

It puts the idiot barkeep in an awkward position when the 2 people who are requesting a channel change grows to half the bar requesting a channel change.

Foulke You
06-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Same experience with the Ram in Schaumburg. Sometimes they have the Sox game on, but I have had to ask them to put it on sometimes. But the bartender was always nice, and as soon as he got a moment, he went over and put it on a couple of the T.V.'s. Good place to start out a friday evening, good beers, a bit pricey though.
I agree that their food is pricey, however, the 24 oz big microbrew mugs are regularly priced at $5.00 which is about $2.50 a beer considering it is 24 oz. For microbrews, that isn't too bad. Plus, if you go there in the future, I suggest checking out their website. They run drink specials but they don't advertise it in the bar. Sunday night is $2.00 pints and Monday is $3.00 24 oz mugs. That is my Ram tip if the day. Enjoy. :gulp:

southpaw40
06-21-2005, 03:08 PM
I onetime tried to order a Bud-light in Milwaukee and the bartender says "do you know what town your in?"...I was like yea, what's the big deal? He goes into the whole 1982 World Series Cards vs. Brewers thing and says as punishment he'll give me a Schlitz. I took it, drank it down and to show him, I ordered another, and another and...then my memory goes blank.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

IrishSoxGoddess
06-21-2005, 03:21 PM
A few years ago, I had a problem at the Bullpen in Rock Island, IL. They claimed on ads they did Sox games but when I got there and requested it, they seemed upset and said they couldnt do that.

34 Inch Stick
06-21-2005, 03:25 PM
I walked into a bar onetime in my Sox hat and immediately got strange looks. When I ordered a beer the bartender told me to get out or he would call the police. I asked him if it was because I was wearing a Sox hat and he said no, it was because I was not wearing any pants.

ondafarm
06-21-2005, 03:33 PM
One time I was trying to take a cab from Raleigh-Durham airport and I'm wearing my Sox cap. I wave for a car, the guy pulls up and he's wearing a Cubs hat. He looks me over and says "I just went on break." "Fine." I waved again and the next guy had a Yankees cap. "Whatever?!" He did not get a tip though.

SOXPHILE
06-21-2005, 03:35 PM
I walked into a bar onetime in my Sox hat and immediately got strange looks. When I ordered a beer the bartender told me to get out or he would call the police. I asked him if it was because I was wearing a Sox hat and he said no, it was because I was not wearing any pants.

Terry Boers ? Is that you, T. Diddly ? I didn't know you posted on this site ! :redneck

Pasqua's Posers
06-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Me and 3 buddies from work were in Sin City in 2003 and there wer2 2 instances of Sox Pride on my behalf:

1. One of my friends had a Flubs shirt on. As we are leaving Bally's to catch a cab somewhere, the guy at the cab stand says 'Go Cubs' as he is opening the door to the cab. I had money ready to give him (a buck or 2) and I stop before getting in the cab and ask him "Are you a Cub fan?" He says 'Of course' I tell him 'well, in that case-no tip for you.' I put the money back in my pocket and get in the car.

2. In October of 2003 when the Flubs were playing the Marlins, we were in a cab heading back to the Rio. The driver(who was quite a bit older) is listening to the Marlins-Flubs game on the radio. I ask him who he is cheering for and he says astonishingly, 'The Cubs'. I said okay-then no tip for you buddy.

My buddies-even the cub fans-just laughed and couldn't believe I did that.

ilsox7
06-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Me and 3 buddies from work were in Sin City in 2003 and there wer2 2 instances of Sox Pride on my behalf:

1. One of my friends had a Flubs shirt on. As we are leaving Bally's to catch a cab somewhere, the guy at the cab stand says 'Go Cubs' as he is opening the door to the cab. I had money ready to give him (a buck or 2) and I stop before getting in the cab and ask him "Are you a Cub fan?" He says 'Of course' I tell him 'well, in that case-no tip for you.' I put the money back in my pocket and get in the car.

2. In October of 2003 when the Flubs were playing the Marlins, we were in a cab heading back to the Rio. The driver(who was quite a bit older) is listening to the Marlins-Flubs game on the radio. I ask him who he is cheering for and he says astonishingly, 'The Cubs'. I said okay-then no tip for you buddy.

My buddies-even the cub fans-just laughed and couldn't believe I did that.

I think that's pretty rude.

chisoxfan79
06-21-2005, 07:39 PM
My story was not getting denied service but a bartender buying me a shot of yager at Sluggers in Wrigleyville because I was a Sox fan. :gulp:

cubhater
06-21-2005, 10:16 PM
:hijacked:

I actually have an opposite story about getting service as a Sox fan. Back in my early college career in Gainesville, FL, during the late '80s, I frequented a local sports bar/pool hall that had a Red Sox fan from Boston as a bartender. Anyhow, the first night there I asked him to put on a White Sox game against the O's and he asked, "You an Orioles fan?" Obiviously I responded with a no. Then he asked if I had money on the game and I gave him the same response. Puzzled, he then asked why I wanted to watch that game. I told him I was a White Sox fan which amazed him because he never met one and didn't know any existed outside of Chicago.:rolleyes: Needless to say he put the game on and the other bartenders always put the Sox on one of the TVs whenever I came in.

:hawk

I luvvvvvvvvv cool bartenders!

Brian26
06-21-2005, 10:24 PM

LOL!!!! funny as hell...

"Officer, I swear, all *three* chairs were tipped over accidentally."

soxGirl14
06-21-2005, 10:25 PM
My boyfriend and I were down in Bloomington eating at Applebees and there was a tv right infront of us and we wanted to watch the game, so we kindly asked our waiter if he could change the channels, and he gave us that "why the hell would you want to watch them" look and kinda paused. It was obvious he wasnt a fan, but luckily he did change the channels. We even had people from other tables coming over by ours to check the score because the tv them had the cubs on...But if he didnt change the channels, we would of gotten up and changed them ourselves

Brian26
06-21-2005, 10:26 PM
At this point, I was livid as I was missing the game and I asked where the manager was. She pointed me to this fat middle aged woman behind the bar.

Doesn't sound like a scrubs fan AT ALL.

Foulke You
06-22-2005, 02:13 AM
Doesn't sound like a scrubs fan AT ALL.
:roflmao:

jake27
06-22-2005, 04:31 AM
i cant beleive that they wouldnt turn on the sox game. i mean common, its a sports bar and they dont put on the sox so they can have "what happening" on, what is that. well no bar experience here (not 21 and dont drink ne ways), but i have gone to many restaurants and if they dont have the sox game on, i ask them to put it on and they put it on. i was in zion and the flubs were on and some friends of mine from the detroit area and i were there. and they asked for the pistons game to be on so they turned off the cubs game to but on a pistons. if places do that, turning on a CHICAGO team shouldnt be a problem. watch when those places have the white sox on when they are in the playoffs this year.

maurice
06-22-2005, 11:48 AM
There are definite benefits to showing Sox pride. A very high percentage of service workers, security guards, cops, etc. across the city are Sox fans, especially minorities. In SD, I was high-fiving a fellow from Anaheim every time the Sox scored. His buddy was pissed, but the guy was a Angels / AL fan and couldn't root for the Pads or other NL teams. Other locals were glad to see that Sox fans aren't like cub fans and Jnjian fans and treated us well.

Pasqua's Posers
06-22-2005, 01:26 PM
I think that's pretty rude.

Why?

ilsox7
06-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Why?

You don't tip someone for their services b/c they root for the Cubs? What if you get shafted on a tip by a Cub fan b/c you like the Sox? There is Sox Pride and then there is Cub hatred. The 2 are not one in the same.

Flight #24
06-22-2005, 02:19 PM

IMO the best response is to get the name/number of the owner to simply notify them that one of their employees is costing them money because in a near-empty bar they wouldn't turn on 1/12 TVs to the Sox game. It works great, especially if you have a decent-sized group.

I would guess that that would get the channel changed real quick, or possibly get someone fired or at least reprimanded. When it's money out of your own pocket, I don't think the "politics" mean all that much.

voodoochile
06-22-2005, 02:36 PM
You don't tip someone for their services b/c they root for the Cubs? What if you get shafted on a tip by a Cub fan b/c you like the Sox? There is Sox Pride and then there is Cub hatred. The 2 are not one in the same.

There's also rampant stupidity and not tipping people who make their living off of tips because they root for a team you don't like is the same thing as not putting on a game for paying customers because you don't like the team they requested.

Brian26
06-22-2005, 02:51 PM

I'm still laughing out loud at this. This is one of the funniest posts I've ever read here. :D:

thepaulbowski
06-22-2005, 05:55 PM
There's also rampant stupidity and not tipping people who make their living off of tips because they root for a team you don't like is the same thing as not putting on a game for paying customers because you don't like the team they requested.

The only time I have EVER not tipped a person was at Murphy's this year before the Sunday game vs. the Cubs. I got up to the bar stood there as the lady went to everybody but me. I was starting to get crabby, then a guys belts out "listen lady you are going to have to serve the Sox fans eventually." I looked around and it was only Sox fans standing at the bar. I finally got my drinks and my change came to like 3.50 or something. She hands me 3 bucks and walks away, I proceed to tell her she owes me the rest of my change. She gives me this death look and I get my change. Needless to say, she got no tip each time I went up. I'm usually a VERY generous tipper (20% at least), but this really hacked me off.