PDA

View Full Version : Please don't put McCarthy in the Bullpen

White Sox Josh
06-20-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm begging the Sox not to do this. Please!!!! He needs to be in AAA or maybe even AA once El Duque gets back. That is where he belongs. He needs to be used as a starter because that's where his future is. If they need another reliever please use Adkins.

oldcomiskey
06-20-2005, 05:11 PM
where else are you gonna use him--hes not gonna start

JRIG
06-20-2005, 05:15 PM
I'm begging the Sox not to do this. Please!!!! He needs to be in AAA or maybe even AA once El Duque gets back. That is where he belongs. He needs to be used as a starter because that's where his future is. If they need another reliever please use Adkins.

Many teams have had great success using young starters in the bullpen to get their feet wet and contribute to the big league club, rather than having them continue to dominate AAA hitting. Namely Johan Santana.

There's no reason not to do it.

TaylorStSox
06-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Many teams have had great success using young starters in the bullpen to get their feet wet and contribute to the big league club, rather than having them continue to dominate AAA hitting. Namely Johan Santana.

There's no reason not to do it.

Here's the difference. Those pitchers "dominated" AAA hitting. McCarthy hasn't even pitched well.

rowand33
06-20-2005, 05:20 PM

Adkins stinks. I'd much rather see Bajaneu or Jenks if we go to the minor league for bullpen help.

doublem23
06-20-2005, 06:18 PM
Mark Buehrle started his White Sox career in the bullpen and Jon Garland flourished in the 'pen after flopping as a starter early in his career. Both were doing well in the minors at the time, though. It looks like Neal Cotts is doing well on that track, too.

swanson24
06-20-2005, 06:19 PM
Interesting thread but I would disagree with your comment WhiteSox Josh by the old saying you have to start somewhere. Great players have come up through the bullpen. Mark Buehrle even spent some time in the bullpen during the 2000 season. In fact he was pitching out of the bullpen during the playoffs against the Mariners.

maurice
06-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Buehrle never pitched a game in AAA.

Santana was 5-3 with a 3.14 ERA in AAA, after posting a 4.64 ERA at A-ball and a 7.92 ERA in rookie ball.

MUScholar21
06-20-2005, 06:56 PM

KW is actually considering moving El Duque to the bullpen when he gets back to avoid putting too much mileage on his arm, according to Mike and Mike this morning. This probably wouldn't be too bad, because he is a big game pitcher that we could save for playoffs when we move to a four man rotation. This way, if Contreras is iffy, or some other problem in the rotation, Hernandez can step in.

The problem with sending McCarthy down again, is that is another option we use on him. You only get so many, and constantly bringing him up and down is just wasting them. He may not be the saving grace of this team, but he needs experience. Let's do what we did in 2000, and take advantage of our lead to get guys playing time. We are up 7.5 games on June 20, and if we can keep it up let's give some of these young guys some big league work.

maurice
06-20-2005, 07:01 PM
The problem with sending McCarthy down again, is that is another option we use on him. You only get so many, and constantly bringing him up and down is just wasting them.

I'll let Daver or ON2 handle the specifics, but this is not the way that options work. Players have a certain number of option years remaining, not individual options.

whitesoxfan
06-20-2005, 07:04 PM
if BMac does good in his starts, i don't see him going down for the rest of the season. It's obvious hes a fly ball pitcher and keeping him down in AAA won't help him much IMO. We all know how small the power alleys are in that ballpark, ect. I'm just hoping for 2-3 solid starts from BMac while El Duque is on the DL and whatever they do by keeping him in the rotation or putting El Duque back in the rotation when he comes back is alright with me.

downstairs
06-20-2005, 07:15 PM
Look, the proof is in the pudding. BMac is going to get 2-3 starts now. If he does well, he should continue starting in the pros. Otherwise, he's got his own problems to work out.

Those problems can be worked out in AAA and/or being a pro reliever all the same...

fquaye149
06-20-2005, 07:30 PM
Neither Buehrle nor Santana nor Neal Cotts have been helped by pitching in the bullpen.

I say put him in the minors and start him like super studs Jon Rauch, Felix Diaz, and Arnie Munoz.

doublem23
06-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Neither Buehrle nor Santana nor Neal Cotts have been helped by pitching in the bullpen.

I say put him in the minors and start him like super studs Jon Rauch, Felix Diaz, and Arnie Munoz.

:roflmao:

I was about to rip into you, but then I read the second sentence. :)

FloridaSox
06-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Look, the proof is in the pudding. BMac is going to get 2-3 starts now. If he does well, he should continue starting in the pros. Otherwise, he's got his own problems to work out.

Those problems can be worked out in AAA and/or being a pro reliever all the same...

From BMac appearance tonight he is regressed--no Ks, no command of his curve, no way to put away batters with 2 strikes. He has quite a ways to go.

kevingrt
06-21-2005, 01:36 AM
McCarthy cannot go to the bullpen. I don't want to see him do what Neal Cotts did and become a fixture. Even though Cotts has become a very solid in the bullpen, McCarthy is suppose to be amazing and I don't want him to be in the bullpen. I want to see him develop into an amazing starter.

Hopefully it doesn't take him as long as Garland did to become a solid starter

doublem23
06-21-2005, 01:41 AM
Ridiculous.

A couple of years ago, Jon Garland was a horrendous starting pitcher, but he was a beast in the bullpen, too. That track worked pretty well for him. Ditto Johan Santana. There's nothing wrong with a guy getting work in the bullpen as they mature and figure out how to pitch in the MLB.

But I agree with the general feel of this thread; I don't want Brandon McCarthy in the bullpen either, because that would mean he'd be on the MLB roster and he's clearly not ready for this level yet. I don't care what the **** he's supposed to be; what he is right now is not good.

JB98
06-21-2005, 02:41 AM
Ridiculous.

A couple of years ago, Jon Garland was a horrendous starting pitcher, but he was a beast in the bullpen, too. That track worked pretty well for him. Ditto Johan Santana. There's nothing wrong with a guy getting work in the bullpen as they mature and figure out how to pitch in the MLB.

But I agree with the general feel of this thread; I don't want Brandon McCarthy in the bullpen either, because that would mean he'd be on the MLB roster and he's clearly not ready for this level yet. I don't care what the **** he's supposed to be; what he is right now is not good.

I agree. I think a lot of people on this board are too excited about McCarthy after the way he pitched in spring training. I went to the park tonight knowing we'd have to outslug the Royals, and thankfully, that's what we did. I don't have any confidence in McCarthy whatsoever. Spring training success doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

I sat behind home plate tonight, and I got a pretty good look at McCarthy's stuff. The velocity on his fastball was the only thing that impressed me. He can't get his breaking ball over consistently. He can't locate his fastball consistently, and he can't put batters away. He has the talent to be a good pitcher, but like a lot of 21-year-olds, he has a ways to go. I might consider putting McCarthy in the bullpen if he were one of our 11 best pitchers. He's not. Put him in the minors where he belongs.

PaulDrake
06-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Right now he's AA at best, and that was very funny fquaye149. I was going to post something similar but you beat me to it.

White Sox Josh
06-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Interesting thread but I would disagree with your comment WhiteSox Josh by the old saying you have to start somewhere. Great players have come up through the bullpen. Mark Buehrle even spent some time in the bullpen during the 2000 season. In fact he was pitching out of the bullpen during the playoffs against the Mariners.yes but I don't think he is ready yet. I think that he needs to be in AAA because he has been struggling lately.