PDA

View Full Version : Cheering fundamentals

Sxy Mofo
06-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Since the sox have adopted their new style, I've noticed the crowds (as well as the players) buying into the smart ball style. Cheering stolen bases, sac fly's, especially sac bunts and pitching more than fans of many other teams.

I think that's great to see how knowledgable the fan base is on baseball issues. What brings this to my mind is watching the replays of last nights game on the sox website. Willie harris sack bunt received as many cheers as any other play in the inning minus A-row's clutch hit. Added that to the ovation that AJP got when he stepped to the plate.

santo=dorf
06-20-2005, 04:17 PM
I was going to mention this too.

The crowd was going nuts when Konerko grounded to deep short BEFORE Willie scored. :o:

FanofBill
06-20-2005, 04:19 PM

The crowd was going nuts when Konerko grounded to deep short BEFORE Willie scored. :o:

You know, this team not only is the best team in basebal but it's teaching the fundamental of baseball to us fans while doing it too.

Jerko
06-20-2005, 04:24 PM

Cheering for smart ball is nice and all, but let's not get too proud of ourselves here for the PK at bat yesterday. Everybody thought it was gonna be a hit, that's why they were all cheering. I also heard a lot of OOHS and AAAHS for 200 foot flyouts.

whtsx1959
06-20-2005, 04:28 PM
Cheering for smart ball is nice and all, but let's not get too proud of ourselves here for the PK at bat yesterday. Everybody thought it was gonna be a hit, that's why they were all cheering. I also heard a lot of OOHS and AAAHS for 200 foot flyouts.

I've beening noticing people going nuts about fly balls that are a can of corn. It doesn't have to be this way, if you're unsure, watch the outfielders.

DaleJRFan
06-20-2005, 04:31 PM
even when the Sox are on a national network broadcast (excluding Jeff Brantley) the announcers usually are gushing over 'Ozzieball' and how a lot of other teams are watching the Sox to try to mimick their successful transition...

Way to go KW. Way to go Ozzie. Way to go Sox. :D:

I really wish the media would **** about the attendance. The last month or so of the season, every game I watch, there are seemingly 36 thousand plus fans. The Sox draw, fans ARE going to games. Give it up already. :angry:

ondafarm
06-20-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm wondering were all the sigs about "If you play for one run, then one run is all you get." and such stuff have gone. We had a poll here last winter about small ball and many of the comments were quite vicious bashing small ball. Now, smart ball seems to rule the day.

Sxy Mofo
06-20-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm wondering were all the sigs about "If you play for one run, then one run is all you get." and such stuff have gone. We had a poll here last winter about small ball and many of the comments were quite vicious bashing small ball. Now, smart ball seems to rule the day.

I think the reason people like it is that the sox aren't just playing small ball. they're third in the AL in homeruns.

The point was made last night in some capacity: instead of beating you one way... the sox can beat you in any way.

How many games have we seen this year where a game is decided only by pitching, how many times by great hitting, how many times by small ball... that kinda thing. Last year they could only win with the long ball. Now it's by walks, stolen bases, sacrifices, first-to-thirds and home runs all leading to wins.

BeviBall!
06-20-2005, 05:11 PM
That JagBag Tim Kurjkian mentioned that the Saturday crowd was intense and you could tell from them how important that win was.

FanofBill
06-20-2005, 05:16 PM
I think the reason people like it is that the sox aren't just playing small ball. they're third in the AL in homeruns.

The point was made last night in some capacity: instead of beating you one way... the sox can beat you in any way.

How many games have we seen this year where a game is decided only by pitching, how many times by great hitting, how many times by small ball... that kinda thing. Last year they could only win with the long ball. Now it's by walks, stolen bases, sacrifices, first-to-thirds and home runs all leading to wins.

We're the "all around team". We'll beat you any which way we can. We’ll annoy you to death by having Pods get on base and cause havocs on your defense. Or we can clobber you to death with the home runs. Or we can do both. I love this team. :smile:

bartmanisgod
06-20-2005, 05:41 PM
Haha when I originally read the title of this thread I thought you were talking about the New Pontiac Fundamentals Area. :tongue:

ondafarm
06-20-2005, 05:51 PM

The Sox are playing smart ball and beating people in several different ways. Last year, the Sox just couldn't win with small ball (the Sox had only one victory when they scored 2 runs or fewer, 2-1 over the Twins) now, these sigs which pointedly belitted small ball have all been taken down.

dickallen15
06-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Fans at USCF have always applauded moving runners over, sacrifice bunts, etc. You may be noticing it this year because the White Sox are executing them more.

iamkoza
06-20-2005, 07:17 PM
Think of the ovation if joe crede would ever learn how to bunt?

Cubbiesuck13
06-20-2005, 10:34 PM
The only problem I have with Crede is his inability to bunt. If you are a .250 hitter you need to know how to bunt and I don't care how many homers you got.

rwcescato
06-20-2005, 11:57 PM
Since the sox have adopted their new style, I've noticed the crowds (as well as the players) buying into the smart ball style. Cheering stolen bases, sac fly's, especially sac bunts and pitching more than fans of many other teams.

I think that's great to see how knowledgable the fan base is on baseball issues. What brings this to my mind is watching the replays of last nights game on the sox website. Willie harris sack bunt received as many cheers as any other play in the inning minus A-row's clutch hit. Added that to the ovation that AJP got when he stepped to the plate.

Frank Thomas got a standing o for a walk.

chisoxfanatic
06-21-2005, 04:45 AM
The only problem I have with Crede is his inability to bunt. If you are a .250 hitter you need to know how to bunt and I don't care how many homers you got.

OR at least not strike out! It gets on my nerves when Crede bunts both the first and second pitches foul and then squares up to actually try to get a hit, but fails miserably by way of the strikeout.

Ozzie shouldn't make Crede do something he's incapable of doing. He's much better off just going up and trying to make contact instead of bunting. It's just the weakness of his game, and most players do have at least ONE weakness.