PDA

View Full Version : Best Ken Harrelson Call

GoRowand33
06-20-2005, 03:04 PM
I love the homerun call but last years COME ON TIMO.... was the best

PAPChiSox729
06-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Well, I've only been around the Sox for about the last 4 years, but C'MON TIMO!! was by far the best Hawk call I have heard. It really captured the excitement of the moment.

Norberto7
06-20-2005, 03:21 PM
I love the homerun call but last years COME ON TIMO.... was the best

Easily the most memorable call of the last few years. Makes those moments even more fun when the commentators are just as into it as you are.

downstairs
06-20-2005, 03:24 PM
"Come on Timo! Come on Timo! Come on Timo! Come on Timo! .....SAFE!"

chisox
06-20-2005, 03:27 PM
hahaha. no question, that was a great call.

the one from friday night, his call on perz's jack, was good too. we has out of breath, you could sense his excitment.

Sxy Mofo
06-20-2005, 03:34 PM

the one from friday night, his call on perz's jack, was good too. we has out of breath, you could sense his excitment.

I do love the raw joy hawk brings to big moments of the game.

Dibbs
06-20-2005, 03:52 PM
The Timo call was classic....but being the Big Frank fan that I am, my favorite by the Hawk is the walk-off homerun call vs the Twins 2 years ago.

StrTrkker
06-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Strike three.

The White Sox are World Champions. Mercy.

Coming soon to a TV near you. :cool:

Chisox003
06-20-2005, 03:55 PM
The Timo call was classic....but being the Big Frank fan that I am, my favorite by the Hawk is the walk-off homerun call vs the Twins 2 years ago.

I was at that game, but I saw the replay later on that night, and that is definitely one of my favorite Hawk calls ever...

Hawk seems to stack up the classic calls every year...And to think some people want a new announcer :rolleyes:

sandknit
06-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Strike three.

The White Sox are World Champions. Mercy.

Coming soon to a TV near you. :cool:

Too bad Hawk won't be doing the playoff games on TV. Turn down the sound on the national broadcasts and turn up Rooney and Farmio for the playoffs.

StrTrkker
06-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Too bad Hawk won't be doing the playoff games on TV. Turn down the sound on the national broadcasts and turn up Rooney and Farmio for the playoffs.

Thats right...

I forgot about that. :(:

MIgrenade
06-20-2005, 04:39 PM
I don't really remember it well, but I think the Paul Konerko inside the park HR was a pretty good call.

zach074
06-20-2005, 04:47 PM
I don't really remember it well, but I think the Paul Konerko inside the park HR was a pretty good call.

Did it go a little something like this, "Konerko hits one down the right field line fair ball! Mercy the right and center fielders collide both have been knocked out and Paulie is now rounding second...."

BeviBall!
06-20-2005, 04:48 PM

Exactly. Instead we'll get some pretentious yarn that only Bob Costas or Tim McCarver can spin. Hopefully they'll still be alive when the time comes.

Buehrle_Man56
06-20-2005, 04:58 PM
I liked Uribes 3 run shot against the D'backs to take the lead 9 to 6.

Stroker Ace
06-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Anytime he calls out Blairiotti is my fav!:D:

SOXSINCE'70
06-20-2005, 05:23 PM

If the 7 to 10 second time delay doesn't get to you.
I watched the game last night and put the TV on mute for a
few innings (mostly when "Sam":rolleyes: Ryan was talking to
Wayne Gretzky).Rooney's call was 7 to 10 seconds faster than
what happened on the screen.So when a hitter would ground out,
for example,Rooney would make the call and then i'd see it
on ESPN 7 to 10 seconds later.

Tragg
06-20-2005, 06:19 PM
I haven't heard near as many as yall, but my favorite was C Lee's tying homer in the bottom of the 9th against the yanks in 2000.
Recently, however, I hear too much "stretch, stretch" (lacks confidence) and he doesn't say the centerfielder by name (using "he" instead").

That night, there was no need to stetch and it was "Bernie Williams looks up".....

chisoxfanatic
06-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Joe Crede's to beat Detroit one Saturday night in July last year...He didn't even do his whole routine. All he did was shout "GAME!" That still sends chills up and down my spine.

hbaines
06-20-2005, 11:17 PM
by far the best thing he ever said was when they were in oakland. the cameras showed two very attractive ladies in the crowd. hawk says "Whimpy i gotta tell you there is no betta beava in the american league than oakland." complete silence then whimpy says. "i just wanna go on record for the fcc. I did not say that"
if anyone has that on tape id love it

gosox83
06-20-2005, 11:34 PM
I have seen 98% of Sox games on T.V. , but I cannot remember that C'mon Timo game for the life of me. Can someone please tell me the scenario and the team we beat and all that to jog me memory? It is killing me.

I would love it if they make the playoffs and The Sox organization put Hawk in the radio booth with Farmio and Rooney!!!!!

GO SOX!!!!!
:)

faneidde
06-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Joe Crede's to beat Detroit one Saturday night in July last year...He didn't even do his whole routine. All he did was shout "GAME!" That still sends chills up and down my spine.
I remember that. That game is about all I remember from that night. Crede had 2 big hits in that game IIRC. I think I passed out about 15 minutes after the game was over. My favorite Hawk call though was Frank Thomas's second two run HR to beat the Angels 4-2 in 2002.

gosox83
06-20-2005, 11:45 PM
I remember that. That game is about all I remember from that night. Crede had 2 big hits in that game IIRC. I think I passed out about 15 minutes after the game was over. My favorite Hawk call though was Frank Thomas's second two run HR to beat the Angels 4-2 in 2002.

I was at that game for a buddy's bachelor party, and I will never forget that IIRC (Washburn) had a no hitter going into the 7th and then it was the Big Frank show! What a Game!!!!

SoxFan76
06-20-2005, 11:48 PM
I was at that game for a buddy's bachelor party, and I will never forget that IIRC (Washburn) had a no hitter going into the 7th and then it was the Big Frank show! What a Game!!!!

I was there as well...it remains my best sports moment that I actually didn't take part in.

(IHSA 7A Football State Champs is my most memorable moment by FAR, for obvious reasons)

ChiSox14305635
06-20-2005, 11:56 PM
by far the best thing he ever said was when they were in oakland. the cameras showed two very attractive ladies in the crowd. hawk says "Whimpy i gotta tell you there is no betta beava in the american league than oakland." complete silence then whimpy says. "i just wanna go on record for the fcc. I did not say that"
if anyone has that on tape id love it

:rolling:

My all-time favorite Hawk call has to go back about 14 years, when Robin Ventura took Goose Gossage yard for a walk off grand-slam. That place was electric. Between Hawk and Wimpy making the call, and Big Frank hoisting Robin over his shoulder, that was magical. :cool:

Rocklive99
06-20-2005, 11:56 PM
I love when the Sox are on the road, it's an up and down game, the Sox pull ahead, and Hawk screams "Yes!" with authority, where you can hear the raw emotion, as if he's completly pissed off at the other team. Just a cool energy, those are the moments I like of his, I guess they can outweigh the bad ones for me

NealCotts4Life
06-22-2005, 12:25 AM
I don't know if this counts but last year during a series at Tampa Bay the camera showed a guy selling cotten candy. Well Hawk does the "I love cotten candy" and DJ said something about how he should get some. Hawk replies"I love it but my Dentist doesn't". Next game when they come back from commercial, DJ is eating some cotten candy with the biggest, dumbest grin you'll ever see. In my opinion it was the greatest continucy in baseball announcing history.

gobears1987
06-22-2005, 01:02 AM
I liked Uribes 3 run shot against the D'backs to take the lead 9 to 6.
That was good
"That one's waaaayyyy back! Gonzalez back to the wall, looks up, YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOOOAAARRRDDD, YESSSSSS!!!!! a 3 run shot by Juan Uribe and the Sox lead it 9-6

kevingrt
06-22-2005, 01:06 AM
Konerko's homer versus the Scrubbies two years ago at the Cell was nice. It just was in the middle of a huge comeback and Hawk had to take a gasp after You Can Put It On the Board.

But nothing beats Come on Timo...

Taliesinrk
06-22-2005, 01:13 AM

No doubt... usually Hawk says "he looks up..." but when Frank hit it off of "everyday eddie" Hawk said, "They all look up"... This was a great adjustment to conclude one of the most memorable games for myself in the past years.

CPditka
06-22-2005, 01:42 AM
Either last year or the one previous they camera men were scanning the crowds at the cell when Hawk lets this slip out of his mouth.....

"Boobies, Yes!"

Mercy!
06-22-2005, 02:50 AM
I have seen 98% of Sox games on T.V. , but I cannot remember that C'mon Timo game for the life of me. Can someone please tell me the scenario and the team we beat and all that to jog me memory? It is killing me.

Okay, one more time:

August 8, 2004, Sox Park, bottom of the ninth, two outs, game with Cleveland tied 2-2, Timo "I only look fast" Perez on first, Ben Davis strokes a double. Practically from the crack of the bat, Hawk starts screaming as Perez starts motoring: "Come on Timo!… Come on Timo!… [he’s coming around 2nd] Come on Timo!… [he’s flat out flying around 3rd. Well, sort of flying, anyway.] COME ON TIMO!…Here’s the throw….[Timo slides; it’s pretty darn close] SAFE!…Sox win 3-2. Y-E-S!"

A wonderful memory. A fantastic call. Give me a homer announcer like Hawk for those sorts of situations any day. Mercy!

Lip Man 1
06-22-2005, 02:56 AM
The best Hawk call came in either 1993 or 1994 when the Sox were at Texas and lost a game when the Rangers hitter hit one down the 3rd base line and the ball was clearly foul according to replays.

However the umpire was out of position and called it fair. Hawk went ballistic during the replay and said something along the lines of, 'that's a foul ball, what a BS call.'

I have it on tape and have to look up the exact words but I clearly remember he stated loudly and clearly the initials 'BS'

LOL

Lip

Viva Medias B's
06-22-2005, 08:03 AM
"C'mon Timo!" was the best, but my favorite one is when a Sox player hits a deep one and Hawk says "WAY BACK!"

Madvora
06-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Come on Timo is the greatest. Most people agree with that.

- side note - Rooney's call of AJ's game winning home run the other day was the best I've ever heard by him.

wdelaney72
06-22-2005, 10:03 AM

I saved that one on the Tivo box. I'm gonna get it converted to .wma. That was a priceless call because it also invloved "stretch" which is my personal favorite.

"Come on Timo..." was great but I loved the AJ walkoff call. I thought he was going to have a grabber right there.

Brian26
06-22-2005, 10:47 AM
The best Hawk call came in either 1993 or 1994 when the Sox were at Texas and lost a game when the Rangers hitter hit one down the 3rd base line and the ball was clearly foul according to replays.

However the umpire was out of position and called it fair. Hawk went ballistic during the replay and said something along the lines of, 'that's a foul ball, what a BS call.'

I have it on tape and have to look up the exact words but I clearly remember he stated loudly and clearly the initials 'BS'

LOL

Lip

Haha, I remember that Lip. I know for sure it wasn't 93. I'm almost positive it was late '91, because I was in college at the time and remember exactly where I was while I was watching it. I remember Hawk saying "BS call", but he also got pissed at that particular umpire at the very end before they went to commercial. He said something like, "...and the ump is looking RIGHT AT THE BALL AND STILL DOESNT MAKE THE DAMN CALL!"

wdelaney72
06-22-2005, 11:20 AM
He had another one a few seasons ago, where he just kept saying, "That is BS" over and over again. I can't remember the exact situation, but it was priceless.

There was also a game 2 years ago against the Royals where an ump made a questionable call and out comes Tony Pena to "discuss". I believe it had to do with whether or not the catcher had caught a foul tip for an out. Hawk says in his usual drawl. "Let me tell you somethin' right now, Bruce Fremming ain't gonna tell Tony Pena a single thing about catching." I loved that one. Even though the call went the Sox way, he still gave Pena his props. I loved Tony Pena as a catcher when I was a kid.

HoosierHerb
06-22-2005, 11:31 AM
What about a few years ago when when 'Spanky' LaVallier sp? was rounding third? Wasn't there a "C'mon Spanky!" That was a classic.

Lip Man 1
06-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Brian:

Right on the money. It was 91, it was in Texas...Hawk does yell ' BS' and he also yells 'damn...' Without question that's his best one!

Lip

santo=dorf
06-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Brian:

Right on the money. It was 91, it was in Texas...Hawk does yell ' BS' and he also yells 'damn...' Without question that's his best one!

Lip

Here's a clip (https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/baseballclips/Crede%20Bull.mp3) from when Crede was not awarded first base in Oakland.

Personally, I liked it when Hawk got mad at Frank because he was on second waiting for a bloop to fall with two outs. It was during that huge win streak in 2003 and the Sox were in the middle of a big rally against the D-Rays when....

:hawk

"There's a bloop hit! Come on Frank! DAMN THERE'S TWO OUTS!"

Brian26
06-22-2005, 01:17 PM
He had another one a few seasons ago, where he just kept saying, "That is BS" over and over again. I can't remember the exact situation, but it was priceless.

I can't remember if it was last year or 2003. One of our pitchers got warned by the umpire, even though the other team had hit one of our guys. I think it may have been Garland on the mound.

Another classic is from either 2002 or 2001. We were playing in Cleveland, and the homeplate umpire was just screwing us the entire game. Wouldn't you know, fittingly enough the last out of the game was a called third strike that was nowhere near the strikezone. Hawk was fuming, totally pissed. As they went to commercial, he said, "Someone's got to BEAR DOWN BEHIND THE PLATE!"

santo=dorf
06-22-2005, 01:31 PM
I can't remember if it was last year or 2003. One of our pitchers got warned by the umpire, even though the other team had hit one of our guys. I think it may have been Garland on the mound.

It was Garland hitting Meintachlajshdqw right after Doug was saying they should move the All-Star game away from US Cellular. Froemming ejected Garland without a warning.

:hawk
"AND THAT IS BS!"

Box (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores103/103116/20030426AL---CHWHITESOX0nr.htm) Score (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores103/103116/20030426AL---CHWHITESOX0nr.htm)

EastCoastSoxFan
06-22-2005, 01:40 PM
Brian:

Lip

I also remember a game back in those days against the Blue Jays when a Sox pitcher was ejected for repeated hit batsmen; and then a few innings later when Todd Stottlemyre came up and in on Big Frank (but did not hit him), Hawk yelled, "Why the hell wasn't Stottlemyre tossed???"

EastCoastSoxFan
06-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Getting back to the original thread topic, I think my favorite Hawk call of all time was Kittle's roof shot in '90, of which there is a partial clip at the end of the Kittle interview on this site. Unfortunately, this clip does not include Hawk yelling at the top of his voice, "...you've got to be kidding. That is AWESOME!"

SOXSINCE'70
06-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Haha, I remember that Lip. I know for sure it wasn't 93. I'm almost positive it was late '91, because I was in college at the time and remember exactly where I was while I was watching it. I remember Hawk saying "BS call", but he also got pissed at that particular umpire at the very end before they went to commercial. He said something like, "...and the ump is looking RIGHT AT THE BALL AND STILL DOESNT MAKE THE DAMN CALL!"

You should have heard Jeff Torborg after that game.
Man,was he pissed.So was I.On a lighter note,
"Corky" homered to give the sox a 5-1 lead in a game
they would lose 6-5 because Joe Brinkman,the 3rd base ump,
wouldn't make a call.:(: The ball had been interfered with as it
went down the third base line.It was a ground rule double,
but Brinkman didn't make the call.

Stroker Ace
06-22-2005, 08:16 PM
if anyone has that on tape id love it:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: HAHAHAHA!!!

samram
06-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Did it go a little something like this, "Konerko hits one down the right field line fair ball! Mercy the right and center fielders collide both have been knocked out and Paulie is now rounding second...."

That was the start. He then said, "Oh my god, they're both dead. This is awful. Paulie still rounding second.." I don't remember the rest.

I remember a call in 1997 (I think). The Sox, after playing poorly for two months, had started to play well and were actually making a wild-card push, but Frank went on the DL and they had lost six in a row. So in the midst of their seventh straight loss, Mike Cameron (I believe), hits a line drive up the middle, but the pitcher snags it, preventing the tying run from scoring. Hawk, out of frustration, yells out "Damn!" The next night, they show a replay of that play, and Hawk, after hearing his call, says "Who said that?"

DoggPhood
06-22-2005, 09:09 PM

My all-time favorite Hawk call has to go back about 14 years, when Robin Ventura took Goose Gossage yard for a walk off grand-slam. That place was electric. Between Hawk and Wimpy making the call, and Big Frank hoisting Robin over his shoulder, that was magical. :cool:

i was at this game. i was 8 years old. my birthday. i don't remember it that well, but i do remember leaving the game early, and listening to it on the radio in the car and hearing the grand slam.

DoggPhood
06-22-2005, 09:12 PM
does someone have audio links to the C'mon Timo and Frank's walk-off calls?

CubsSuckSoBad
06-22-2005, 09:37 PM
The girlfriend yells:

"He GAWN" randomly when a situation calls for it....

Had no idea since this year first base was also the term for the a bag on the right side of a baseball diamond....:?:

pczarapa
06-22-2005, 10:09 PM
I do love the raw joy hawk brings to big moments of the game.

I do too, a lot of people give Harrelson a lot of crap, but I like a good home town call.

gosox83
06-22-2005, 10:17 PM
anybody remember what Hawk said right after Tori Hunter cleaned Burkes clock?

Hawk was pretty PO'd I remember, and he kept saying this funny phrase ...something like "All right were gonna have to earhole him" It wasn't exactly that, but I cannot remember, but I loved it.

GO SOX!!

hawkeyesox17
06-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Top 3 Hawk calls:

3. I loove cotton candy.

2. Come on Timo, COME ON TIMO!

1. Carlos Lee game winning grand slam in extras to beat the flubs. Hawk was so excited he could't raise his voice for the end of YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD...YESS!!! Good Times.:D:

sox1970
06-22-2005, 11:21 PM
REID NICHOLS CAMPS UNDERNEATH IT....HISTORY!!!

-The Tom Seaver 300 Win call

Magic Number: 83

MarkZ35
06-22-2005, 11:45 PM
By far my favorite Hawk calls are the walk off grand slam Carlos Lee hit against the Flubbies, The Timo call but one of my newest favorites was just this past Tuesday when Iguchi i believe robbed Terrence Long a base hit to right field. The Hawks call was and theres a base hit to right field (slight pause) Iguchi gets there can he throw him out? ... MERCY!

Thunderstruck30
06-23-2005, 01:02 AM
What does Hawk mean when he says "Sinch em up and hunker down"?

wsbaseball9
06-23-2005, 09:07 AM
reel em in, zone em in, light em up

tadahito was FLYIN'

#1 is "come on timo" for sure, i have it saved on my comp