PDA

View Full Version : Twinks Question

balke
06-20-2005, 02:36 PM
For all the experts saying Sean Burroughs is going to the Sox, or Chavez, or some big change is coming just because we have Kenny Williams as a GM....

What's going on with the media's love child during trade season? They have a bunch of good players, but no real power guy, an endless farm system, and a pretty good team that looks wild card Bound. So what trades could or would they make? Aren't they too in the hunt for a 3B or a SS (not that I buy that the Sox actually are)? Or are Cuddyer and Rodriguez real answers for them?

I know some people here like the Twins, so I just thought I'd check and see if they are going to upgrade at all in people's opinions.

ma-gaga
06-21-2005, 08:11 PM
What's going on with the media's love child during trade season?
Or are Cuddyer and Rodriguez real answers for them?

I'd be shocked if they replace Cuddyer. After his slow start he's starting to hit like he's been expected to. He's not as good as Koskie, but he should approach being an average third baseman offensively and defensively.

I think they want to have an "ideal" middle infield of Punto and Castro, but both are both hurt. Punto has great plate discipline (for a middle infielder), but Castro is terrible. They have a bunch of other options; Rivas, Rodriguez, Abernathy, and Bartlett, but nothing spectacular (maybe Bartlett if he get's his defense up to "Twins standards"). I don't know if they'll add a second baseman. Detroit picked up the best "available" one, but the rumors were that Philly was asking for Crain AND a top prospect. :cool:

Anyways, I think they are looking for a bat off the bench, a Ruben Sierra type. Matty Lecroy is fine, but they need a lefty slugging type. They let a local kid (Restovich) go to waivers this spring, and he SHOULD have been the lefty bat off the bench.

munchman33
06-21-2005, 08:16 PM
I'd be shocked if they replace Cuddyer. After his slow start he's starting to hit like he's been expected to. He's not as good as Koskie, but he should approach being an average third baseman offensively and defensively.

I think they want to have an "ideal" middle infield of Punto and Castro, but both are both hurt. Punto has great plate discipline (for a middle infielder), but Castro is terrible. They have a bunch of other options; Rivas, Rodriguez, Abernathy, and Bartlett, but nothing spectacular (maybe Bartlett if he get's his defense up to "Twins standards"). I don't know if they'll add a second baseman. Detroit picked up the best "available" one, but the rumors were that Philly was asking for Crain AND a top prospect. :cool:

Anyways, I think they are looking for a bat off the bench, a Ruben Sierra type. Matty Lecroy is fine, but they need a lefty slugging type. They let a local kid (Restovich) go to waivers this spring, and he SHOULD have been the lefty bat off the bench.

Honestly, Ma-gaga, I'd be pretty worried if up the middle my options included any of those guys. Seems like a bunch of 25th men. Rivas is probably the best player in the bunch, and that's not saying much.

elrod
06-21-2005, 11:29 PM
Honestly, Ma-gaga, I'd be pretty worried if up the middle my options included any of those guys. Seems like a bunch of 25th men. Rivas is probably the best player in the bunch, and that's not saying much.

Rivas has become an atrocious player all around. Punto is solid but has gotten seriously hurt two years in a row. Rodriguez, Robinson, Bartlett, Castro and Abernathy all provide serviceable defense and each can hit, though none consistently. The Twins infield is the weakest link on the team.

s.dedalus
06-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Restovich is a right-handed hitter.

Flight #24
06-21-2005, 11:52 PM

Hmmm.....that could explain why he wasn't afforded a great chance to be their bench LH bat....:tongue:

IMO it's all about how the majority of guys who might get traded are somewhat expensive and/or have multi-year deals. The Twins can't usually add significant salary, and IIRC they already have $55mil or so committed for 2006 so they can't afford to add a ton past this year.

Eliminating the $$$ guys (Chavez, Helton, Wagner, Rocket, etc) it would be a true rental of a decent-but-not-great player (Burroughs-esque) and would cost them some guys they think can be long-term solutions for them. Not their style.

Banix12
06-22-2005, 12:58 AM
If there is one thing we have seen with the Twins in this little run they have had the last few years, they usually try to solve from within rather than go the rent-a-player for the last few months route. Shannon stewart being the only major player I think they have traded for.

I don't think the twins really need a ton of production offensively from the middle infield since they are relatively strong at most of the other positions, but the defense really needs to be better especially on that carpet.

I don't really see them making any moves of any major consequence. maybe a reserve or two on the bench but nothing big.

Foulke You
06-22-2005, 02:53 AM
The Twins are also traditionally a second half team. They could be waiting to see if the team starts to heat up before deciding on making a move.

ma-gaga
06-22-2005, 06:54 PM

Ugh. I had a brain fart. That's why Michael Ryan is currently on their bench, he's their "left handed bench bat", and that's just not inspiring.

I'd be pretty worried if up the middle my options included any of those guys

I'm not arguing. It's a sinkhole of badness. I personally really like Punto as a player, but the kid just can't stay healthy. He goes balls out on every play and has hurt himself. But he's such a refreshing breath of fresh air compared to Rivas who had stagnated as a player.

There are some rumblings about acquiring Joe Randa... In theory, the Twins could trade for a third baseman and move Cuddyer over to second base. He wouldn't be the swiftest infielder god ever created, but he's passable and certainly his bat is VERY dangerous for a second baseman.

:gulp: We'll see. Right now they need a jump start from someone.