PDA

View Full Version : Who is the enigmatic SPODS?

saabturbo
06-20-2005, 02:04 PM
The guy (INHO) singlehandidly won yesterday's finale versuse the Dodgers. But when it comes interview time, it seems that the only faces I see speak are the likes of Mr. Konerko and Mr. Rowand. In fact, I don't think that I've ever heard Mr. Podsednik ever speak to the media. However, I did once read in an article, that he refuses to discuss his base stealing mindset, for he gets caught the day after he speaks of it. I don't see the guy interact too much in the clubhouse either, and I can only wonder if the guy is arrogant or just shy. (I'd probobly be arrogant too if I was the best catalyst baseball has seen in a decade)

WhiteSoxFan84
06-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Although he was great last night, he didn't single-handedly win the game. A solid outting by Jose Contreras, Frank Thomas' pinch-hit-walk (??) to lead-off the 8th, Harris' RBI Double, and Rowand's 2-run single had a lot to do with it. Clutch hitting. Timely hitting. Good hitting.

I still love Scotty PoPo.

skottyj242
06-20-2005, 02:17 PM
There was a full page spread about it in the Tribune like two weeks ago...it took up the whole back page.

Jerko
06-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Please, call him anything but Po. I can see it now: Bottom of 9, Podsednik on first, Hawk in the booth saying "Po on point"; then I get this image in my head:

http://www.tvshows.de/teletubbies/images/posmall.jpg

Unregistered
06-20-2005, 02:24 PM
I don't see the guy interact too much in the clubhouse either, and I can only wonder if the guy is arrogant or just shy. (I'd probobly be arrogant too if I was the best catalyst baseball has seen in a decade)After the celebration of AJ's walkoff shot on Sat. night at home plate, AJ ran to Pods and they were high fiving and jumping up and down. That's just the most recent example I can remember of him "interracting" in the clubhouse. I don't think the guy is arrogant OR shy. Now Crede on the other hand, that is shy.

LoganSox
06-20-2005, 02:30 PM
I've heard him interviewed on MJ&H...he has a southern accent, sounds like a focused professional. He said that it's no secret that when he gets on base he's going to try and steal, regardless of who is on the mound, and that it's up to them to beat him. He also said he understands his job is to get on base, period.

Nothing eccentric or terribly interesting, just a hardworking pro ballplayer.

skobabe8
06-20-2005, 02:42 PM
When I was at spring training this year, I really made it a point to watch Pods to see what kind of player he was and how he would fit in. He would come over to the fans pre game--like alot of other Sox did--and sign autographs. Myself, I just wanted (and got) a handshake. He seemed to be a little quiet, but very kind. On the field, it seemed him and Rowand had great chemistry from day 1. They were always talking and joking around with each other. Scottie Pods is the straw that stirs our drink and everyone knows it.

Palehose13
06-20-2005, 02:56 PM
When I was at spring training this year, I really made it a point to watch Pods to see what kind of player he was and how he would fit in. He would come over to the fans pre game--like alot of other Sox did--and sign autographs. Myself, I just wanted (and got) a handshake. He seemed to be a little quiet, but very kind. On the field, it seemed him and Rowand had great chemistry from day 1. They were always talking and joking around with each other. Scottie Pods is the straw that stirs our drink and everyone knows it.

At Soxfest when I was talking to Rowand about Podsednik, he was very happy to have him on the team. I hope that Rowand and Podsednik anchor the outfield for the Sox for years to come. Both are class acts and tough ballplayers.

34 Inch Stick
06-20-2005, 04:15 PM
I thought Willie was the player of the game yesterday. He had a double and a critical sacrifice when the entire world knew he was going to bunt. He also played well in the field.

South Side
06-21-2005, 01:13 AM
Do you watch Sports Nite? He was interviewed last night and the night before.

kevingrt
06-21-2005, 01:32 AM
A hard-worker, sounds like countless other players on this team this year. Aaron and Pods work like non-other on this team and it is fantastic to watch that side of the OF

skobabe8
06-21-2005, 01:52 AM
I thought Willie was the player of the game yesterday. He had a double and a critical sacrifice when the entire world knew he was going to bunt. He also played well in the field.

I could buy that.

scottjanssens
06-21-2005, 01:53 AM
But when it comes interview time, it seems that the only faces I see speak are the likes of Mr. Konerko and Mr. Rowand. In fact, I don't think that I've ever heard Mr. Podsednik ever speak to the media.

Perhaps he's shy. With all the controversy reporters like to stir up (they think that's their job) I wouldn't speak to the press either.

Cubbiesuck13
06-21-2005, 03:17 AM
Perhaps he's shy. With all the controversy reporters like to stir up (they think that's their job) I wouldn't speak to the press either.

Have you seen his girlfriend? I would go straight home too.

Chisox003
06-21-2005, 03:39 AM
The guy (INHO) singlehandidly won yesterday's finale versuse the Dodgers. But when it comes interview time, it seems that the only faces I see speak are the likes of Mr. Konerko and Mr. Rowand. In fact, I don't think that I've ever heard Mr. Podsednik ever speak to the media. However, I did once read in an article, that he refuses to discuss his base stealing mindset, for he gets caught the day after he speaks of it. I don't see the guy interact too much in the clubhouse either, and I can only wonder if the guy is arrogant or just shy. (I'd probobly be arrogant too if I was the best catalyst baseball has seen in a decade)

1) Have you been in the clubhouse recently and watched the goings on? Doubt it

2) Have you seen this guy's girlfriend? :gulp:

Realist
06-21-2005, 04:06 AM
My buddy talked to a ton of the Sox players that were hanging out at a bar in Colorado. He said that everyone was very cool, but Podsednik and Harris even more friendly than the usual call of duty.

He asked Podsednik about the how the team is portrayed has having great chemisty in the media and is it true. Podsednik something along the lines of, and I paraphrase, "Look, there's no reporters around it's just me to you and I'm telling you that I have never seen a team where every player is so on board with the same goal. The chemisty is all true. We really do all like each other and are pulling for each other."