PDA

View Full Version : KW Quote of the weekend

Flight #24
06-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Re: Frank Thomas

"All things being equal and going the way we desire them to go, I would love to see him hit his 500th home run in a White Sox uniform," Williams said. "I think that would be special."

Yes, it could be GM-speak, but we all know that KW hasn't always been great at that. Plus, it would be more GM-like to say "we're just focusing all our efforts on winning thie year, we'll take care of that after the season". Instead he says he'd like Frank to be back (but obviously he has to qualify it from a negotiating perspective).

Given Frank's performance so far, what we hear about him in the clubhouse, his oft-stated desire to stay, his relationship with Reinsdorf, and the detente apparently achieved with KW, things continue to look better and better for us to see the greatest hitter in Sox history continuing until retirement ont he south side.

Continued dominance by this team AND good news on the future? :supernana:

PAPChiSox729
06-20-2005, 11:22 AM
I really hope he does stay here for the rest of his career. It would be very hard to picture him wearing a different jersey.

Realist
06-20-2005, 11:34 AM
This organization has made a lot of positive strides lately: beautifying the park, hiring Brooks, making the Fundamentals area for the little ones, hiring a bunch of former Sox players for the coaching staff, bringing back the old fight song, and putting together a very very good baseball team this year.

Letting Frank go while he still has a lot of pop in his bat and having him hit his 500th home run with another team would do a lot to erase all that.

Frater Perdurabo
06-20-2005, 11:48 AM
I too want to see Frank hit #500 and finish his career in a White Sox uniform. However, the biggest reason to keep him is because the production he has provided so far in 2005 seems to indicate he would be both an asset to the lineup and a bargain.

Is there any other DH who could provide a 1.000+ OPS for $8-10 million? (He's at 1.215 right now!) More importantly, is there anyone who the Sox could get that could replicate that production at that price without having to trade away the farm?

Thought so.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Great thread.

The only thing I'd add is what Frank offers, but isn't really measurable, and it's something Joe Morgan gave the Sox credit for (yes, that's not in teal) - he's healthy, and on the bench if needed. Any pitching staff needs to know that you're gonna deal with Frank in the lineup, or the fact that he can be brought in - force them to pitch to him, even if it means an intentional walk.

Sign 'em, seal 'em, retire the number. PLEASE.

Frater Perdurabo
06-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Great thread.

The only thing I'd add is what Frank offers, but isn't really measurable, and it's something Joe Morgan gave the Sox credit for (yes, that's not in teal) - he's healthy, and on the bench if needed. Any pitching staff needs to know that you're gonna deal with Frank in the lineup, or the fact that he can be brought in - force them to pitch to him, even if it means an intentional walk.

Sign 'em, seal 'em, retire the number. PLEASE.

Yes. He changes the way opposing pitchers and managers deal with the rest of the Sox lineup, whether he's in the lineup (hopefully most nights he will be) or a threat to pinch hit. That kind of impact really cannot be measured.

DaleJRFan
06-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Its amazing that the guy is 37 with a bum leg and is still one of the most feared hitters in baseball. he either homers or walks. He is amazing, even to this day.

Lock him up KW. Sox need a hero with this roster full of roleplayers.

LuvSox
06-20-2005, 12:26 PM
Frank = my generation's White Sox. I'd love to see him hit 500 here.

gobears1987
06-20-2005, 12:29 PM
I really hope he does stay here for the rest of his career. It would be very hard to picture him wearing a different jersey.
I would cry if Frank was not resigned. He is the reason I became a Sox and baseball fan.

SSN721
06-20-2005, 01:06 PM
I would cry if Frank was not resigned. He is the reason I became a Sox and baseball fan.

Ditto

Palehose13
06-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Re: Frank Thomas

Yes, it could be GM-speak, but we all know that KW hasn't always been great at that. Plus, it would be more GM-like to say "we're just focusing all our efforts on winning thie year, we'll take care of that after the season". Instead he says he'd like Frank to be back (but obviously he has to qualify it from a negotiating perspective).

Given Frank's performance so far, what we hear about him in the clubhouse, his oft-stated desire to stay, his relationship with Reinsdorf, and the detente apparently achieved with KW, things continue to look better and better for us to see the greatest hitter in Sox history continuing until retirement ont he south side.

Continued dominance by this team AND good news on the future? :supernana:

KW has never crossed me as the kind of guy that says things he doesn't mean just to be nice (see "KW not happy with El Duque" thread. One thing (but not the only thing) that I love about this organization is the "no BS" approach when speaking with the media (from JR calling out moron to Ozzie and the players). If KW said that he would like to see Frank hit 500 with the Sox, I believe him. I hope that they can make it happen.

kojak
06-20-2005, 01:24 PM

THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!!!!

:redneck

Tekijawa
06-20-2005, 01:40 PM
Being the only guy on the team who gets a standing ovation everytime he steps out of the Dugout, I think this statement was wise on Kenny's part... especially if he wants to keep the Crowds around where they have been the past few weeks.

Joosh
06-20-2005, 01:54 PM
I had a thought which might make resigning Frank look better.

- Thomas has a 10 Mil. Option for next year.
- Also with a 3.5 Mil. Buyout

If you think about it, you have to spend that 3.5 either way. Wouldn't you rather spend that 6.5 Mil. On the Big Hurt?