PDA

View Full Version : Starters for the series against the Cubbies...

DrCrawdad
06-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Friday: Mitre vs. Garcia
Saturday: Maddux vs. Contreras
Sunday: Williams vs. McCarthy (or possibly Garland)

I'm expecting a big surprise though with Wood and/or Prior stepping in against the Sox.

HebrewHammer
06-20-2005, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if we have to face Wood in the finale.

The favorable pitching matchups help, but is anyone really worried about this cubs team? Anyone?

We were a Vizcaino gopher ball away from a sweep at Wrigley. I expect continued success this weekend.

DrCrawdad
06-20-2005, 09:43 AM

The favorable pitching matchups help, but is anyone really worried about this cubs team? Anyone?

We were a Vizcaino gopher ball away from a sweep at Wrigley. I expect continued success this weekend.

I expected the Cubbies to do well in AL ballparks. IMHO they are more suited to AL style ball, than NL. Then the Cubbies got their heads kicked in this weekend in NY.

I expect the Sox to win 2 of 3, however I won't be shocked or dismayed if the Cubbies win 2 of 3.

harwar
06-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Its getting to the point this year that i would be both shocked AND dismayed if we lost a series to ANYONE.
I really just can't believe what is happeneing this year.:D:

TommyJohn
06-20-2005, 11:05 AM
I expected the Cubbies to do well in AL ballparks. IMHO they are more suited to AL style ball, than NL. Then the Cubbies got their heads kicked in this weekend in NY.

I expect the Sox to win 2 of 3, however I won't be shocked or dismayed if the Cubbies win 2 of 3.

The media would be all over it. When the Sox won 4 of 6 two years ago there
was barely a peep; and it was never mentioned at all during the playoffs.
Contrast that with 2000, when the teams went 3-3 and one writer sneered
"the White Sox can't really say they're the best team in baseball when they
aren't the best team in Chicago." In 2001, when the Sox took 4 of 6 from the
Cubs, it was "the Cubs have the better record! And they have bigger fish to
fry!"

My point is, if the Cubs tie or win the series and the White Sox finish in first,
think the media won't chortle about it? Think again. Not that we'll care, but
it'll happen.

kittle42
06-20-2005, 11:51 AM
I would rather face Kerry Wood than most of the other Cubs pitchers. He sucks.

Iwritecode
06-20-2005, 12:02 PM

From what I've heard, Wood will be making another minor league rehab start on Friday and may possibly have another one after that.

He will definitely not be in Chicago this weekend...

kittle42
06-20-2005, 12:51 PM
From what I've heard, Wood will be making another minor league rehab start on Friday and may possibly have another one after that.

He will definitely not be in Chicago this weekend...

No problem. Jerome Williams is capable of walking at least 5 or 6 of the 8-10 batters Wood would have walked.

miker
06-20-2005, 01:36 PM
No problem. Jerome Williams is capable of walking at least 5 or 6 of the 8-10 batters Wood would have walked.

Yeah, but with Kerry Wood you get the chance to witness yet another potential injury...

The Dude
06-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Friday: Mitre vs. Garcia
Saturday: Maddux vs. Contreras
Sunday: Williams vs. McCarthy (or possibly Garland)

I'm expecting a big surprise though with Wood and/or Prior stepping in against the Sox.

I sure would love to see Garland in there. The Flubs cant miss Buehrle and Garland in both series, thats just unjust!

SOXSINCE'70
06-20-2005, 05:43 PM
I sure would love to see Garland in there. The Flubs cant miss Buehrle and Garland in both series, thats just unjust!

Ozzie has hinted (and I say hinted) that he might just pitch Garland
Sunday instead of McCarthy.Garland would be pitching on his
typical 4 days rest.As usual,it'll be "the guy who gives us
the best chance to win".:rolleyes:

ShoelessJoeS
06-20-2005, 05:47 PM
I would rather face Kerry Wood than most of the other Cubs pitchers. He sucks.
agreed...seems like he gives up more first inning runs than anyone in baseball

soxwon
06-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Ozzie has hinted (and I say hinted) that he might just pitch Garland
Sunday instead of McCarthy.Garland would be pitching on his
typical 4 days rest.As usual,it'll be "the guy who gives us
the best chance to win".:rolleyes:

the cubs are so bad- that we could trot out felix diaz and he would shut them out.
no need to pitch any of our big 3 to beat these jokes.
save em for the deadly TIGERS.-is maggs back?

Foulke You
06-20-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm thinking if we are going for a sweep, it will be McCarthy on Sunday. If Game 3 is the rubber match of the series, expect Garland to get the nod.

misty60481
06-20-2005, 08:10 PM
I
think we should blow them out in 1st game---then 2 games like we did against L.A. --let them get ahead until 8th or 9th then come back and just beat them...play with them like a cat plays a mouse-----

DrCrawdad
06-21-2005, 12:30 AM
According to the Cubune, the messiah is likely to start on Sunday.

The Dude
06-21-2005, 01:22 AM

Well we cant have BMac against the Messiah. We need Garland on the bump! Skip the normal Duque start to break up the Cubans and go from there.

PeteWard
06-21-2005, 01:35 AM
Well we cant have BMac against the Messiah. We need Garland on the bump! Skip the normal Duque start to break up the Cubans and go from there.

Come on. Isn't it more important to bury Detroit than beat the Cubs?

ilsox7
06-21-2005, 01:48 AM

No. The Cubs are just another series. I hope Prior is out there...I'd love to face him after he hasn't seen a major leagu hitter in over a month.

JB98
06-21-2005, 02:28 AM

Detroit is already buried.

I say we throw Garland on Sunday, and let McCarthy pitch in spacious Comerica Park on Tuesday. He's a fly-ball pitcher. He has a better chance of winning there against Detroit than at home against the Cubs. Not to mention, the Cub hitters have already seen him once.

As for the Messiah, bring him on. He had to throw 126 pitches to eke out a 4-3 victory last time. Coming off an injury, he won't be able to do that again.

doublem23
06-21-2005, 02:40 AM

:knue
Ha, you ****ers don't know what Sunday. Probably not until August 21.

:rolleyes:

The Dude
06-21-2005, 07:46 AM

I just think we should skip the start regardless of who we are playing since we have the day off thursday, but as someone else stated....the flubs already have seem BMac and he isnt exactly dominating in the slightest. he needs to get back to AAA and work on his location big time!

Dan H
06-21-2005, 07:59 AM
I wouldn't want to start McCarthy because he just isn't ready for major league competition right now. I am looking forward to this weekend series ending. The Sox have nothing to prove; they have already beaten the Cubs in Wrigley. The biggest bragging right is the World Series. Win that and that will shut Cub fans up. At least for a few hours anyway.

fox2
06-21-2005, 03:27 PM
The first time around against the Cubs, McCarthy went 5 1/3 innings giving up 2 runs on 4 hits, 1 walk and 6 Ks. That's not bad. Maybe he would have gotten the win if Ozzie had let him finish the 6th. I think I'd like to see him try again.

WhiteSoxFan84
06-21-2005, 03:34 PM
The first time around against the Cubs, McCarthy went 5 1/3 innings giving up 2 runs on 4 hits, 1 walk and 6 Ks. That's not bad. Maybe he would have gotten the win if Ozzie had let him finish the 6th. I think I'd like to see him try again.

ehhh, true, but I'd still love to see JGar vs. the team that gave up on him, D-Train, Rafael Palmeiro, Greg Maddux, etc.

Garland would be going on normal rest, so why not throw a proven guy instead of a struggling rookie (BMac) or anybody else from the minors?