PDA

View Full Version : Fight Song

Milw
06-20-2005, 07:50 AM
I was at the Saturday game and noticed they played "Let's Go Go-Go White Sox" several times, going so far a couple times as to display the words on the scoreboard to help fans sing along. It seemed people were really getting into it -- I know I was.

Anyone know if they plan to keep this up? I think if the team played the song about once per game, it would really catch on and become fairly well-known within a year or two. It's a bit corny, but so is "Bear Down Chicago Bears," and that song is immensely popular.

So was this a one-time Turn-Back-the-Clock special, or do the Sox finally have a theme song?

miker
06-20-2005, 07:58 AM
It actually comes from 1959. Learn all about it at http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/SoxSounds.htm

Milw
06-20-2005, 08:03 AM
It actually comes from 1959. Learn all about it at http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/SoxSounds.htm
Yes I know that.

I was asking if it's going to be embraced by the Sox and played at Sox games more than once every 4 decades.

miker
06-20-2005, 08:12 AM
Yes I know that.

I was asking if it's going to be embraced by the Sox and played at Sox games more than once every 4 decades.

My bad.

Personally I wouldn't mind. It would seem odd that something that's not a dance mix or rap become popular in a contemporary ball park, but I'd be for it.

Besides, "Captain Stubby and the Buccaneers" probably could use the work!

gobears1987
06-20-2005, 08:29 AM
I'm all for having this played each game. Start it tonight Brooks please!

Chez
06-20-2005, 08:33 AM
Agreed. It was terrific on Saturday night. My kids loved it too. Maybe play it after "Take me out to the Ballgame " during the 7th inning stretch?

Hullett_Fan
06-20-2005, 08:50 AM
I was also there Saturday night and they played it many times...especially during the last 3 innings. The 1st time not as many people got into it, but then everyone (the younger folks) figured out the words and also clapped in rhythm. It seemed to ignite the big 9th inning rally! I also liked when they just played the drum roll part between pitches in the 9th.

I'm going to e-mail Brooks and suggest they keep playing it. Did anyone hear it during Sunday's game?

GregoryEtc
06-20-2005, 08:52 AM
I hate to be the wet blanket... and I'm usually gung-ho about these sorts of nostalgia... but that song is lame! I can't see that ever pumping up the crowd today. It sounds like the theme from It's Howdy Doody Time.

I know everyone wants to go back to the hay day of that amazing team in 1959... but this team is NOT the 1959 team. This year's team is uniquely special. Why not come up with a NEW theme for this year?

(flame away)

Hullett_Fan
06-20-2005, 09:02 AM
I hate to be the wet blanket... and I'm usually gung-ho about these sorts of nostalgia... but that song is lame! I can't see that ever pumping up the crowd today. It sounds like the theme from It's Howdy Doody Time.

I know everyone wants to go back to the hay day of that amazing team in 1959... but this team is NOT the 1959 team. This year's team is uniquely special. Why not come up with a NEW theme for this year?

(flame away)

You're knocking the official fight song of WSI!!!

I understand your point, but just thought this song had a good beat/rhythm that people could get into (like a school fight song). The problem with trying to come up with a new fight song is that there's a good chance it would bomb as most new things do (like the new TV commercials, IMO)....they say only 1 in 10 new products remain in the market after 3 months.

P.S. Maybe they could keep the beat/rhythm/words of the old one, but modernize it by replacing the "barbershop quartet-like" voices with modern singers.

paciorek1983
06-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Yes the song is similar to the Bears song and should be played just as much as theirs. It is a traditional identity song. Some may think it's corny, but that's what people like, that is something that they identify with. It's warm and homey sounding, a feeling that this team has lacked for a long time. Making a new song, will only sound modern, and never last.

GregoryEtc
06-20-2005, 09:15 AM
You're knocking the official fight song of WSI!!!

I understand your point, but just thought this song had a good beat/rhythm that people could get into (like a school fight song). The problem with trying to come up with a new fight song is that there's a good chance it would bomb as most new things do (like the new TV commercials, IMO)....they say only 1 in 10 new products remain in the market after 3 months.

P.S. Maybe they could keep the beat/rhythm/words of the old one, but modernize it by replacing the "barbershop quartet-like" voices with modern singers.

You're right that most (if not all) home grown team songs are just aweful but I was thinking more of a recent song that encapsulates the team. I'm sure I could think of a better example if I tried but the first thing that popped into my head was the '84 cubs and Van Halen's 'Jump'. Yes the song was aweful but the team and the song will forever be conneted in my head. I'm really not as into modern music as I once was so I'm really not the person to come up with something.

But more than likely, if something like that were to come along, it would be a natural occurance... not forced upon us.

The difference between this song and "Bear Down Chicago Bears" is that this song hasn't been played in forever. Its not a part of the team. It was once but it would be like bringing back pull over jerseys because we were successful with them in '83.

paciorek1983
06-20-2005, 09:23 AM
The difference between this song and "Bear Down Chicago Bears" is that this song hasn't been played in forever. Its not a part of the team. It was once but it would be like bringing back pull over jerseys because we were successful with them in '83.

The funny thing is, Cub Fan Mike Murphy on the Score has played it on his show forever.

TornLabrum
06-20-2005, 09:52 AM
My bad.

Personally I wouldn't mind. It would seem odd that something that's not a dance mix or rap become popular in a contemporary ball park, but I'd be for it.

Besides, "Captain Stubby and the Buccaneers" probably could use the work!

I'm pretty sure Cap'n Stubby is long gone. Anybody besides me remember when he did the morning show on WLS radio? Or he and the Buccaneers were regulars on "The Clock Show" (originally titled "Clock-a-Doodle-Day"), a morning (7:00 a.m.) show designed kids about junior high age? (The news reader on that show was Stubby's bass player Tiny Stokes.)

Realist
06-20-2005, 09:53 AM
I love "Let's Go Go White Sox" and I agree that it should be played every game. I also love the song "Go Sox" by Pell Mell and The Bleacher Boys, but the production quaility is pretty low. It would be great if that song were re-recorded.

There's plenty of room for more than one song with this team! :bandance:

DannyCaterFan
06-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Memo to Brooks......Play the song every game....the crowd loved it Saturday night. The crowd really responded to it, and so did the team!:supernana:

fado
06-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Memo to Brooks......Play the song every game....the crowd loved it Saturday night. The crowd really responded to it, and so did the team!:supernana:

I agree. Everyone I saw on saturday liked the song. I was actually upset that they didn't play it again on sunday.

tebman
06-20-2005, 01:12 PM
I'm pretty sure Cap'n Stubby is long gone. Anybody besides me remember when he did the morning show on WLS radio? Or he and the Buccaneers were regulars on "The Clock Show" (originally titled "Clock-a-Doodle-Day"), a morning (7:00 a.m.) show designed kids about junior high age? (The news reader on that show was Stubby's bass player Tiny Stokes.)
I don't remember hearing Cap'n Stubby, but I was aware of his program. I think his program was an early (like 4:30 or 5:00 a.m.) farm-report kind of thing that was on before Clark Weber's show on WLS in the early 60s. There's a brief mention and a picture of him at this link (http://www.wlshistory.com/WLS60/) that's part of the WLS History website.

chisoxfanatic
06-20-2005, 01:15 PM
I have had that on my laptop for the past three years, but now it's crashed...I think I should download it for this computer now...They played it several times last night, including after the game, when all Sox fans were high-fiving each other. Nice...And I sang along every time!

tebman
06-20-2005, 01:17 PM
I also love the song "Go Sox" by Pell Mell and The Bleacher Boys, but the production quaility is pretty low. It would be great if that song were re-recorded.

There's plenty of room for more than one song with this team! :bandance:
:thumbsup: Great song!

Sox-on-TV44
06-20-2005, 01:22 PM
I love "Let's Go GO-GO White Sox"!.

People loved "Bear Down,Chicago Bears..",and oh,god,they remember that god awful "Hey,Hey,Holy Mackerel" Cubs song (barf!!!!!)

Yes,Brooks.Play the song after the 7th inning strech.God knows we hear Usher's "Yeah!" so many times,we're so damn sick of it!!!!!!

TornLabrum
06-20-2005, 01:26 PM
I don't remember hearing Cap'n Stubby, but I was aware of his program. I think his program was an early (like 4:30 or 5:00 a.m.) farm-report kind of thing that was on before Clark Weber's show on WLS in the early 60s. There's a brief mention and a picture of him at this link (http://www.wlshistory.com/WLS60/) that's part of the WLS History website.

Yup, that's the show, but I remember it after Weber's midnight-5:00 a.m. show, which would put that around 1961-62 when I remember hearing it. I wonder if that show was a carryover form the Prairie Farmer days.

skobabe8
06-20-2005, 01:33 PM
I thought it was really cool that they played the song and mixed in highlights of yesteryear with highlights of today. I think we'll be hearing it for the rest of the year.:thumbsup:

tebman
06-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Yup, that's the show, but I remember it after Weber's midnight-5:00 a.m. show, which would put that around 1961-62 when I remember hearing it. I wonder if that show was a carryover form the Prairie Farmer days.
This is funny because I think we're remembering the same thing with different reference points. You're talking about Weber's overnight show in '61 or '62, and I was talking about Weber's morning show from '61 or '62 onward. I don't remember when Weber switched from overnights to mornings. But either way, Cap'n Stubby was on at 0-dark-hundred before the morning show. I think it was brought back for a brief time in the late '60s too, though that's just from memory.

What a house of trivia we are! :D:

Martha Fair
11-06-2005, 08:14 PM
WE CAME TO PLAY

YEAH WE'RE FROM CHICAGO AND WE CAME TO PLAY
THOUGH MOST PEOPLE SAID WE'D BE GONE BY TODAY

THEY SAID WE JUST GOT LUCKY ON AN UMPIRES CALL
BUT WE PROVED THEM WRONG, AND SHOWED THEM ALL

IF IT WASN'T FOR THAT CALL THEY SAID WE'D HAVE NEVER WON, BUT GARLAND BROKE SOME BATS AND SHOWED THEM HOW IT'S DONE

SO BRING ON BOSTON AND BRING ON L.A.,
CAUSE IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER, WE CAME TO PLAY!

THEY ALL SAID IT COULDN'T BE DONE
WE'D BE OUT OF CONTENTION BY OCTOBER ONE

THE TRIBUNE REPORTS ON PAGE TWENTY EIGHT SAID
BY THE WAY, THE SOX WON ANOTHER ONE AGAIN TODAY!

WHILE CUB FANS ON THE NORTH SIDE ARE STILL IN DENIAL
THE WHITE SOX FANS ARE DANCING IN THE AISLE

"TURN OFF THAT TV, YOU'LL GIVE THEM THE JENKS"
BUT WHEN WE TURNED IT BACK ON, WE COULDN'T BELIEVE!

THE EAST COAST AND WEST COAST SAID GO AWAY
BUT WE SAID WE AIN'T LEAVIN, CAUSE WE CAME TO PLAY!

SO BRING OUT THE DAMN GOAT AND LEAD HIM AWAY

CAUSE MANY HAVE TRIED AND MANY HERE FELL,
HERE IN CHICAGO KNOWN AS BASEBALL HELL

THE BLACK SOX ARE DEAD, IT'S CHANGING NOW
AND NO ONE'S GONNA STOP US, AIN'T NO WAY, OR NO HOW!

AND CLOSE AIN'T GOOD ENOUGH WHEN YOU SMELL THAT CIGAR, SO GO WHITE SOX AND WE'LL MEET YOU AT THE BAR!

THE ASTROS OR THE CARDINALS IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE TODAY….IT REALLY DIDN'T MATTER CAUSE WE CAME TO PLAY!

GAME 1, IT'S THE ASTROS, AND BIGGIO WON'T SOON FORGET THAT DAY WHEN THE CREDE MAN GIVETH, AND HE TAKETH AWAY.

GAME 2, THE ASTROS READY TO DYE
WHEN HE TOOK FIRST ON A HIT TO A BAT AND NOT THE GUY!

THEN KONERKO CAME BACK AND HOMERED IT HIGH
TO LEFT FIELD BLEACHERS, THEN POSEDNIK HAD A TRY

GAME 3, DID YOU REALLY THINK THEY WOULD JUST ROLL OVER, PLAY DEAD?
HELL, NO -THEY MADE US REALLY EARN THAT ONE INSTEAD.

AND JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WOULD NEVER END
THEN GEOFF BLUM CAME OUT AND LAYED ON THE LED

GAME 4, PRAYING AND HOPING ON DYE'S ONLY RUN
IF WE COULD JUST HOLD THEM THROUGH ANOTHER INNING

SOX FANS HOPED PLEASE LET THIS NOT BE A DREAM, WHEN
GARCIA, POLITTE, & COTTS HELD HOUSTON WE STARTED TO SCREAM!

AND MANY HERE AND NOW WILL NOT SOON FORGET
AND PASS DOWN STORIES FOREVER, I BET

AS LISTEN MY CHILDREN AND YOU SHALL HEAR OF THE SOUTH SIDE HITMEN OF THE 2005 YEAR!

AND MANY HAD WISHED THAT THEY'D JUST GO AWAY
BUT THEY THEY NEVER GAVE UP CAUSE THEY CAME TO PLAY!

Martha Fair 10/14/05

GoSoxGo
11-07-2005, 07:26 AM
I love the song and can't get enough of it--so much so that I bought it on CD. Anyway, the Sox started using it, I believe, around mid-season and played it near the seventh inning, but later changed it into a sort of rally song when we needed to get back into the game. During the Playoffs they played it more in this fashion it seemed. Hope to hear it more in 2006.

XplodingScorbord
11-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Love the song, let's hear more of it in years to come!

Hitmen77
11-07-2005, 09:42 AM

(flame away)

Uh, care to revise that statement? :)

CaptainBallz
11-07-2005, 11:39 AM
WE CAME TO PLAY

THOUGH MOST PEOPLE SAID WE'D BE GONE BY TODAY

THEY SAID WE JUST GOT LUCKY ON AN UMPIRES CALL
BUT WE PROVED THEM WRONG, AND SHOWED THEM ALL

IF IT WASN'T FOR THAT CALL THEY SAID WE'D HAVE NEVER WON, BUT GARLAND BROKE SOME BATS AND SHOWED THEM HOW IT'S DONE

SO BRING ON BOSTON AND BRING ON L.A.,
CAUSE IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER, WE CAME TO PLAY!

THEY ALL SAID IT COULDN'T BE DONE
WE'D BE OUT OF CONTENTION BY OCTOBER ONE

THE TRIBUNE REPORTS ON PAGE TWENTY EIGHT SAID
BY THE WAY, THE SOX WON ANOTHER ONE AGAIN TODAY!

WHILE CUB FANS ON THE NORTH SIDE ARE STILL IN DENIAL
THE WHITE SOX FANS ARE DANCING IN THE AISLE

"TURN OFF THAT TV, YOU'LL GIVE THEM THE JENKS"
BUT WHEN WE TURNED IT BACK ON, WE COULDN'T BELIEVE!

THE EAST COAST AND WEST COAST SAID GO AWAY
BUT WE SAID WE AIN'T LEAVIN, CAUSE WE CAME TO PLAY!

SO BRING OUT THE DAMN GOAT AND LEAD HIM AWAY

CAUSE MANY HAVE TRIED AND MANY HERE FELL,
HERE IN CHICAGO KNOWN AS BASEBALL HELL

THE BLACK SOX ARE DEAD, IT'S CHANGING NOW
AND NO ONE'S GONNA STOP US, AIN'T NO WAY, OR NO HOW!

AND CLOSE AIN'T GOOD ENOUGH WHEN YOU SMELL THAT CIGAR, SO GO WHITE SOX AND WE'LL MEET YOU AT THE BAR!

THE ASTROS OR THE CARDINALS IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE TODAY….IT REALLY DIDN'T MATTER CAUSE WE CAME TO PLAY!

GAME 1, IT'S THE ASTROS, AND BIGGIO WON'T SOON FORGET THAT DAY WHEN THE CREDE MAN GIVETH, AND HE TAKETH AWAY.

GAME 2, THE ASTROS READY TO DYE
WHEN HE TOOK FIRST ON A HIT TO A BAT AND NOT THE GUY!

THEN KONERKO CAME BACK AND HOMERED IT HIGH
TO LEFT FIELD BLEACHERS, THEN POSEDNIK HAD A TRY

GAME 3, DID YOU REALLY THINK THEY WOULD JUST ROLL OVER, PLAY DEAD?
HELL, NO -THEY MADE US REALLY EARN THAT ONE INSTEAD.

AND JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WOULD NEVER END
THEN GEOFF BLUM CAME OUT AND LAYED ON THE LED

GAME 4, PRAYING AND HOPING ON DYE'S ONLY RUN
IF WE COULD JUST HOLD THEM THROUGH ANOTHER INNING

SOX FANS HOPED PLEASE LET THIS NOT BE A DREAM, WHEN
GARCIA, POLITTE, & COTTS HELD HOUSTON WE STARTED TO SCREAM!

AND MANY HERE AND NOW WILL NOT SOON FORGET
AND PASS DOWN STORIES FOREVER, I BET

AS LISTEN MY CHILDREN AND YOU SHALL HEAR OF THE SOUTH SIDE HITMEN OF THE 2005 YEAR!

AND MANY HAD WISHED THAT THEY'D JUST GO AWAY
BUT THEY THEY NEVER GAVE UP CAUSE THEY CAME TO PLAY!

Martha Fair 10/14/05

:duck: Better luck next time.

NardiWasHere
11-07-2005, 11:57 AM
:duck: Better luck next time.

HAHA you're bad, man! hahaha