PDA

View Full Version : Too early for MOTY?

DarkCloudDropo
06-20-2005, 08:21 AM
I'm thinking that almost no matter how the rest of the season goes (tho we know how it will go go :) ) Ozzie already has manager of the year sewn up.
Picked for 4th place? In the 'weakest division in baseball?
Even those who dislike Oz have to admit he's the one who has put this team in the frame of mid to win. Yes, he has some weaknesses, but at 46-22 even the biggest hater has to give him his due.

miker
06-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Who selects Manager of the Year? Is it the sportswriters?

If its based on results, Ozzie has a chance, especially if there is success in the playoffs.

On the other hand, there will be some writers who will vote against him just because of who he is, what is says, how he says it, the team he manages, etc.

The Dude
06-20-2005, 09:15 AM
I'm thinking that almost no matter how the rest of the season goes (tho we know how it will go go :) ) Ozzie already has manager of the year sewn up.
Picked for 4th place? In the 'weakest division in baseball?
Even those who dislike Oz have to admit he's the one who has put this team in the frame of mid to win. Yes, he has some weaknesses, but at 46-22 even the biggest hater has to give him his due.

Well we need to win the division first off. And if we still have one of the best records at the end of the season....I couldnt see why not. Our good old friend JM did it with similiar results.
Right now the frontrunners I believe are Frank Robinson of the Nats for the NL , and Ozzie for the AL.

kevingrt
06-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Way to early in the year to post anything on manager of the year award. 'Nough said

Soxzilla
06-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Of all the years I've watched baseball (Admittedly not nearly enough as all of the older posters on this board), Ozzie is the manager I've seen who has a great deal to do with the success of this team. Most managers ride the talent they have on the field, and that's what makes them successful. I think Ozzie and his attitude are key parts of why this team has the best record in baseball.

Sure he makes some iffy calls, but at least they are more often than not justified (The Angels game for that matter).

Frater Perdurabo
06-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Hawk had a good point on a WGN telecast a few nights ago when he said that Ozzie isn't a "game micromanager" type of manager, but rather that he sets the tone and instills the agressive, team-first attitude that his players execute. So far, no one can argue with the results, even if sometimes his bullpen management may leave some confused.

kittle42
06-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Between this, and the who would we like to face in the world series, and the who is most likely to throw a no-hitter, and the other ridiculous threads, I thought I was reading a Cubbie fan site.

jackbrohamer
06-20-2005, 12:56 PM
It is way too early, it's like the Scrub fans chanting "MVP" for Lee. In June.

Also the award is not a good omen; IIRC the last 3 Sox managers who won it were LaRussa, Lamont and Manuel, and all of them were fired within 2 years of winning it

TDog
06-20-2005, 01:04 PM
I was thinking after the Dodgers sweep that Guillen should be named Manager of the Year if the Sox win the division. Because the writers vote on the award, I also believe it would go to someone else.

Two other thoughts came to mind.

I like having a Sox manager who puts his team and winning ahead of schmoozing with the award-voting media.

I remember seeing Eric Soderholm catch a pop up on the July 31, 1977, NBC game of the week from Yankee stadium and hearing the announcer say the Sox were 7 1/2 games in first. That same team fell out of first place on Aug. 12. Later I would read the old manager was literally falling asleep on the bench, despite the fireworks being set off by the Southside Hitmen.

I like the Sox's chances with Ozzie.

Chicago83
06-20-2005, 01:43 PM
I get the feeling that many people in the baseball world do not like Ozzie and do not think he is a good manager. He is the MOTY so far but I am not sure he will get the votes. The only other managers I could see getting it so far are LaRussa or the Orioles manager. But hands down, in m opinion, it should go to Ozzie.

fquaye149
06-20-2005, 02:11 PM
I still think Showalter will edge out Ozzie no matter what. Not that I think he's more deserving, but, well, you know the rest...media.