PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 6/20

Lip Man 1
06-20-2005, 02:54 AM
"We have done an awful lot of positive things, but one winning season won't win over our fan base. We have to do it consistently."-- Brooks Boyer to Scott Merkin / White Sox.com

The story dealt with the Sox 'attendance' perception and Boyer points out how Sox attendance is up across the board in all demographics and divisions.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050619&content_id=1096739&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip

skobabe8
06-20-2005, 03:16 AM
Of course I had to walk by a group of Red Sox fans after the game tonight who were getting into it with some White Sox fans about how we suck because we have a first place team and dont sell out. I almost puked up my churro.

Nellie_Fox
06-20-2005, 03:48 AM
Of course I had to walk by a group of Red Sox fans after the game tonight who were getting into it with some White Sox fans about how we suck because we have a first place team and dont sell out. I almost puked up my churro.This is perilously close to an attendance thread. Those people who don't come to the games do not reflect, one way or the other, on the team, nor on those who do. Period. End of discussion.

Dan H
06-20-2005, 07:29 AM
"We have done an awful lot of positive things, but one winning season won't win over our fan base. We have to do it consistently."-- Brooks Boyer to Scott Merkin / White Sox.com

The story dealt with the Sox 'attendance' perception and Boyer points out how Sox attendance is up across the board in all demographics and divisions.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050619&content_id=1096739&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip

I think the Sox have done many positive things. More importantly, they have a man in Brooks Boyer who fully understands the term "fan alienation." If people keep listening to him, and the Sox continue to win, there won't be any attendance problems to talk about. Right now Sox fans do need to feel defenisve about attendance. I, for one, am glad Brooks Boyer is with the White Sox. Why improve attendance for a season when you can do it for a generation?

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-20-2005, 08:08 AM
Not to direct this to an attendance thread, but I was listening to North this morning, who ripped Greg Couch and Rick Morrissey for harping on the attendance issues, as well as the slope the print media has against the Sox. He directly stated that if Hendry's guys made comments like Buehrle, Everett and Guillen made, the press would be saying how "outspoken" the team is. He did say he wants KW to back off, and let these guys be their own team when it comes to personality. To put it bluntly, I was amazed.

miker
06-20-2005, 08:40 AM
Not to direct this to an attendance thread, but I was listening to North this morning, who ripped Greg Couch and Rick Morrissey for harping on the attendance issues, as well as the slope the print media has against the Sox. He directly stated that if Hendry's guys made comments like Buehrle, Everett and Guillen made, the press would be saying how "outspoken" the team is. He did say he wants KW to back off, and let these guys be their own team when it comes to personality. To put it bluntly, I was amazed.

If any of us sign a big contract with The Score, Mike North will become our best friend too!

CubKilla
06-20-2005, 10:05 AM
Of course I had to walk by a group of Red Sox fans after the game tonight who were getting into it with some White Sox fans about how we suck because we have a first place team and dont sell out.

If attendance had a direct impact on WS Championship's then the Cubs and Red Sox would be world beaters.

Attendance is up this season. 28,000 on Friday and 36,000 on Saturday for a meaningless series that carried a price tag beat out only by the Cubs Series at USCF. Not too shabby.

I'll be there on Wednesday to help push up attendance on a day when "85% of the..... world is working" because I'm on vacation this week. And Buehrle's pitching :bandance:

cleanwsox
06-20-2005, 10:12 AM
If anybody has attendance issues, it has to be the Indians. This is a team that was 4th in the league in attendance only 4 years ago. This year, they are 3rd to the bottom in average attendance. For what it is worth, things could be a lot worse on the South Side.

kevingrt
06-20-2005, 10:41 AM
I think the Sox have done many positive things. More importantly, they have a man in Brooks Boyer who fully understands the term "fan alienation." If people keep listening to him, and the Sox continue to win, there won't be any attendance problems to talk about. Right now Sox fans do need to feel defenisve about attendance. I, for one, am glad Brooks Boyer is with the White Sox. Why improve attendance for a season when you can do it for a generation?

That is the main thing to this... Brooks Boyer. He is what makes this engine rn and he is doing a brilliant job of it. I agree with him that by the end of the season the Sox will have surpassed the 2 million mark in attendence figures. And now that a lot of that is due to a winning ballclub that is a hell of a lot of fun to watch, some of it has to do with Brooks.

Keep up the great work Brooks, because I know you scan this board from time to time.

slavko
06-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Solution to all our problems (if Brooks is looking in). More babe-in-the-stands shots on TV. Even if you have to put the babes there yourself.

TomBradley72
06-20-2005, 12:04 PM
About 120 teams in the "big four" major league sports (still counting hockey to make this point)....only ONE team (and it's fans) make their argument based on "popularity" and attendance: the Cubs. I've lived in 5 different major league cities over the years....no other fans of any other team focus on this. And the media lemmings in this town closely follow. What a joke.

Lip Man 1
06-20-2005, 01:15 PM
As I stated a month or so ago, if the Sox stay in the race all season, they will draw 2.3 million. (Unless they push out to a 15-18 game lead...then many of the September games won't be that well attended until they get close to clinching since kids will be back in school.)

Lip

Sxy Mofo
06-20-2005, 01:44 PM
I like what KW said last night during the interview. something about how it's a disrespect to the fans who do show up to be talking about attendance.