PDA

View Full Version : why does jeff brantly still talk about the whitesox?

GoRowand33
06-20-2005, 02:18 AM
i just dont get it, he criticized ozzie guillens use of the bullpen again on bbtn.yea we have 9 blown saves but 3 were by louis vuzcaino and one was by kevin walker and you cant blame ozzie for giving them a chance.

he says ozzie shouldnt warm up a closer not to use him but sometimes you think some one has to go into the game but it doesnt work out.

lastly he said that a closer by committee just doesnt work, but how do you argue with the best record in baseball?

so i think he needs to shut his big mouth and criticize a team that sucks like the cubs

ilsox7
06-20-2005, 02:21 AM
Why do WSI members constantly talk about Jeff Brantley?

Chisox003
06-20-2005, 02:22 AM
I'll be the first....
:threadsucks

It had to be done

Did someone say....****house?

TDog
06-20-2005, 02:28 AM
i just dont get it, he criticized ozzie guillens use of the bullpen again on bbtn.yea we have 9 blown saves but 3 were by louis vuzcaino and one was by kevin walker and you cant blame ozzie for giving them a chance.

he says ozzie shouldnt warm up a closer not to use him but sometimes you think some one has to go into the game but it doesnt work out.

lastly he said that a closer by committee just doesnt work, but how do you argue with the best record in baseball?

so i think he needs to shut his big mouth and criticize a team that sucks like the cubs

The Sox have blown nine saves, but only two of those were ninth-inning save chances. Blown saves is a deceptive stat because it often reflects a failure of middle relief.

SOX ADDICT '73
06-20-2005, 02:32 AM
For the last time...

Jeff Brantley, like most "experts" in the national media, picked the Sox to finish no better than third (and probably fourth) in the Central Division. With each victory, the Sox continually prove themselves to be the best team in baseball, which makes the Brantleys and Gammonses of the world look like even bigger idiots than they already are.

So, rather than eat major crow, these guys try to pick the team apart in other ways (lucky, soft schedule, attendance, manager's a potty-mouth, etc.). Does that answer your question?

Banix12
06-20-2005, 02:51 AM
Eh, don't blame Brantley, blame the intern or associate producer who probably gives him all of his information and opinions.

Brantley, like most of the national baseball analysts never actually watch the games every day like the fans do. It's physically impossible for them to follow every team, so they get all their information from box scores, stat sheets and when teams come to face the yankees (cause they watch all of those). They take that info and wing it from there.

this is partially the reason why he and others in the offseason were baffled by the sox offense and why the sox changed it, they looked at a very good average runs per game stat without realizing that in a week the sox offense could have one 16 run game and four or five one run games and average 5 runs a game.

Therefore he looks at the 9 BS and thinks it is an awful stat, but as TDog said that is misleading.

Trust your eyes, not the ESPN analysts who likely have seen about six sox games this season. And since when do we care about Brantley anyway?

ilsox7
06-20-2005, 02:54 AM
Eh, don't blame Brantley, blame the intern or associate producer who probably gives him all of his information and opinions.

Brantley, like most of the national baseball analysts never actually watch the games every day like the fans do. It's physically impossible for them to follow every team, so they get all their information from box scores, stat sheets and when teams come to face the yankees (cause they watch all of those). They take that info and wing it from there.

If I were making my living by analyzing baseball games for every time on a daily basis, I sure as hell would know about each and every team. First, it's your job. Second, you often will look like an ass if you don't.

Sadly, I don't think any national baseball analysts do their job sufficiently, which is why it's pointless to pay them any attention or put any faith in their prognostications.

Lip Man 1
06-20-2005, 02:57 AM
Ilsox 7:

There aren't enough hours in a day to know everything there is to know about all MLB teams regardless of how much you are being paid plus have a regular life...you know, like with your family.

This isn't 1960 anymore my friend....they have a hell of a lot more then 16 teams.

Lip

ilsox7
06-20-2005, 03:04 AM
Ilsox 7:

There aren't enough hours in a day to know everything there is to know about all MLB teams regardless of how much you are being paid plus have a regular life...you know, like with your family.

This isn't 1960 anymore my friend....they have a hell of a lot more then 16 teams.

Lip

I agree, to a degree. These guys are getting paid to go on TV each evening to talk and analyze baseball teams. They should be spending their time watching games (even if taped). OK, maybe they shouldn't know "everything," but they should know enough to carry on a conversation with a solid fan of any team.

By completely ignoring even basic details about many teams, they are doing a disservice to all of the people out there who follow Baseball Tonight religiously (not me for some time now). Hell, Baseball Tonight was an AWESOME show many years ago. It has devolved, without the addition of any teams over the last 6-8 years.

TheOldRoman
06-20-2005, 03:33 AM
For the last time...

Jeff Brantley, like most "experts" in the national media, picked the Sox to finish no better than third (and probably fourth) in the Central Division. With each victory, the Sox continually prove themselves to be the best team in baseball, which makes the Brantleys and Gammonses of the world look like even bigger idiots than they already are.

So, rather than eat major crow, these guys try to pick the team apart in other ways (lucky, soft schedule, attendance, manager's a potty-mouth, etc.). Does that answer your question?
Gee, I wonder why Brantley didn't mention that the Twins have 8 blown saves? On BBTN Sunday morning, the moron Steve Philips even said "this team is starting to make me believe." In a few months, Philips will be on the bandwagon of the media elitists who either push their preseason predictions under the rug or lie and say "I knew they could do it all along".

Brantley appears to be a bigger pile of excrement than Philips. Brantley refuses to budge, and he will go down with his ship. What he has been saying these past few months is in no way journalism. He realizes he was dead wrong about the Sox, so he feels his only option is to hang on for dear life and hope the Sox fall apart so he can say "I told you so". I only hope that he is staking his reputation to the Sox failure, and is forced to resign/gets fired after the Sox win the Central and more. Knowing that ESPN has no credibility whatsoever, it aint gonna happen.

Brantley will come into next season saying "Baseball is looking to bounce back from a down year. The White Sox last year were probably the worst champion baseball has ever had. They wouldn't have finished higher than 3rd in any division most years. The MLB lost a lot of credibility this past year. I am picking the White Sox to finish 5th behind the upstart Royals because their is no way their fluke will continue. Last year, every team they played lied down for them, but it aint gonna happen this year."

Banix12
06-20-2005, 03:34 AM
I agree, to a degree. These guys are getting paid to go on TV each evening to talk and analyze baseball teams. They should be spending their time watching games (even if taped). OK, maybe they shouldn't know "everything," but they should know enough to carry on a conversation with a solid fan of any team.

By completely ignoring even basic details about many teams, they are doing a disservice to all of the people out there who follow Baseball Tonight religiously (not me for some time now). Hell, Baseball Tonight was an AWESOME show many years ago. It has devolved, without the addition of any teams over the last 6-8 years.

First off, increased competition has increased the level of "stunt" programming on these shows. A lot of little instructional things, lists of top players, stupid competitions, etc. 8 years ago FSN wasn't a realistic force in sports and comcast wasn't even around.

Also, the way that information was disseminated 8 years ago is different than today. The internet wasn't the force it is now in 1997 and we didn't have a lot of the increased satellite and cable coverage. If you lived out of market it was often impossible to get your team on TV. I would surmize that BBTN was just as lame 8 years ago it's just that their mistakes are far more noticable now than then because there is just far more information out there.

If you get something wrong about one team, you get one team's fans upset, but the other 29 groups of fans don't care so it's never as huge a deal to the entire audience as it is to the individual fans.

The people you see on TV or hear on radio are usually just the face or the voice, the actual information comes from a collection of staffers (I have been one of these staffers for a local radio station, not sports related) who watch the games to find the highlights and read articles from the local papers to see what is the news of the day.

Often the people on air are either just reading from a teleprompter or they are analyzing a 1 - 2 page list of facts they can read from, though often they read more than that. But since they are only going to spend at most 2 to 3 minutes analyzing each team the simple fact sheets are often more than they need to do the job.

The average ballgame is 3 hours long, so at most they can watch 1.5-2 a day and still have time to do their show and still have a life.

ilsox7
06-20-2005, 03:40 AM
First off, increased competition has increased the level of "stunt" programming on these shows. A lot of little instructional things, lists of top players, stupid competitions, etc. 8 years ago FSN wasn't a realistic force in sports and comcast wasn't even around.

Also, the way that information was disseminated 8 years ago is different than today. The internet wasn't the force it is now in 1997 and we didn't have a lot of the increased satellite and cable coverage. If you lived out of market it was often impossible to get your team on TV. I would surmize that BBTN was just as lame 8 years ago it's just that their mistakes are far more noticable now than then because there is just far more information out there.

If you get something wrong about one team, you get one team's fans upset, but the other 29 groups of fans don't care so it's never as huge a deal to the entire audience as it is to the individual fans.

The people you see on TV or hear on radio are usually just the face or the voice, the actual information comes from a collection of staffers (I have been one of these staffers for a local radio station, not sports related) who watch the games to find the highlights and read articles from the local papers to see what is the news of the day.

Often the people on air are either just reading from a teleprompter or they are analyzing a 1 - 2 page list of facts they can read from, though often they read more than that. But since they are only going to spend at most 2 to 3 minutes analyzing each team the simple fact sheets are often more than they need to do the job.

The average ballgame is 3 hours long, so at most they can watch 1.5-2 a day and still have time to do their show and still have a life.

Baseball Tonight used to be a 30 or 60 minute show that showed breaking highlights and the such. Also, I understand that many staffers do the research and writing for segments. However, when it comes to feature segments, it is ridiculous that these guys don't apprently put in the time to get things right. Furthermore, these ex-players, managers, and general managers are often hired b/c they are supposed to have some expertise, having played the game and all. Yet some of the analysis that comes out of their pie holes is ridiculous. Again, I wouldn't expect perfection. Just competence. And the show was much better many years ago. There were highlight packages of all teams and decent analysis by guys.

Yes, information outlets have changed b/c of the Internet. And that has something to do with it. But that still doesn't mean when these guys have lots of time to prepare a canned segment that they can't at least say something intelligent.

Banix12
06-20-2005, 04:10 AM
Baseball Tonight used to be a 30 or 60 minute show that showed breaking highlights and the such. Also, I understand that many staffers do the research and writing for segments. However, when it comes to feature segments, it is ridiculous that these guys don't apprently put in the time to get things right. Furthermore, these ex-players, managers, and general managers are often hired b/c they are supposed to have some expertise, having played the game and all. Yet some of the analysis that comes out of their pie holes is ridiculous. Again, I wouldn't expect perfection. Just competence. And the show was much better many years ago. There were highlight packages of all teams and decent analysis by guys.

Yes, information outlets have changed b/c of the Internet. And that has something to do with it. But that still doesn't mean when these guys have lots of time to prepare a canned segment that they can't at least say something intelligent.

This is where the 24 hour news cycle saves them. You can make a mistake but frankly the mistakes are forgotten a few days later because there is always a new story and a new game. As long as the ratings stay high, everything is hunky dory.

You're right that they should be doing a better job, and the talent they have right now is not the best I have seen, but often these guys don't know the rundown until about an hour before show if they are lucky. Also, ex-ballplayers are rarely good at improvising or reading scripted material (this is partially why many of the talents on radio stations are comedians).

You follow the sox because it is your passion, they do it because it is their job. Of course you will always know the team better, just relish that fact and ignore them.

ilsox7
06-20-2005, 04:13 AM
You follow the sox because it is your passion, they do it because it is their job. Of course you will always know the team better, just relish that fact and ignore them.

Luckily I do ignore them. And I haven't intentionally watched Baseball Tonight in ages. I am just saying they obviously are not doing their jobs. I have heard them spew similar crap about other teams. I wish everyone at WSI would ignore it, but seeing all of the topics about it, that seems a far fetched idea. Actually, I never saw this Brantley segment...just know about it from reading here.

skobabe8
06-20-2005, 04:23 AM
Gee, I wonder why Brantley didn't mention that the Twins have 8 blown saves? On BBTN Sunday morning, the moron Steve Philips even said "this team is starting to make me believe." In a few months, Philips will be on the bandwagon of the media elitists who either push their preseason predictions under the rug or lie and say "I knew they could do it all along".

:bundy

Cubbiesuck13
06-20-2005, 04:29 AM
Why don't they have one or two idiots per division? This would 'force' them to only watch a few teams' highlights every day and follow the local mediots example. Naturally this would still screw us but at least they could inform you on other teams. Why would anyone believe a thing they say about any team? I don't know much about the Marlins but I am sure not going to go on what they say. They have no credibility.

buehrle4cy05
06-20-2005, 10:31 AM
:threadblows::whocares
I'm getting sick of all these threads about ESPN, Jeff Brantley, and whatever you call that hairdo he has. ****house, here we come.

FarWestChicago
06-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Ilsox 7:

LipWell FFS Lip, you would think he would at least know there is no Chad Hermanson on the Sox. I know you feel compelled to defend all hack mediots who attack the Sox, but Brantley's obsession is with Ozzie, not Reinsy. He hates the Sox, their players and their manager. I don't think he's really your type of guy.

Lip Man 1
06-20-2005, 01:30 PM
West:

The poster made the claim that they should know everything there is to know about teams. That's impossible today and you know it.

It's not a defense of Brantley and you know that as well.

The part about the producers is an excellent one. S.I. a few years ago ran a piece on the inner workings at ESPN. One claim that royally pissed off the four letter network was the revelation that they were paying these kids practically nothing to live in one of the most expensive areas of the country (Hartford).

There's an old saying 'you get what you pay for...'

It was easy for me to know 'everything' there was to know about 'my' teams during the 15 years I was on the tube because I didn't have 30 teams in my area. (Well maybe so if you count all the surrounding areas and hamlets of Monroe but many of them were not featured that often and when they were I could 'fake' it well...)

That being said there is no excuse for Brantley not knowing the name of Dustin. Maybe he mis spoke, I don't know.

Like I told you in another post I try to stay away for blanket generalizations about people or professions.

LIp

beckett21
06-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Ilsox 7:

Lip

You're right, it isn't 1960 anymore. The internet information age is a beautiful thing, my friend.....

Jeff Brantley is a MORON. Where do I sign up for his job? In my field, it's called MALPRACTICE. But hey, I can just tell the judge and jury that it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to know everything about the human foot. My bad.

That guy doesn't deserve anything that remotely resembles an excuse. Irresponsible and pathetic telejournalism--and not just because he got Hermanson's name wrong, but his whole schtick in general.

fquaye149
06-20-2005, 02:10 PM
:bundy

Or maybe they're making him believe that there'll be a lot of crying in our beer.

Steve Phillips - you cannot take back your ridiculous comment. Sorry. You're not allowed to. Not this year.

ilsox7
06-20-2005, 02:14 PM
You're right, it isn't 1960 anymore. The internet information age is a beautiful thing, my friend.....

Jeff Brantley is a MORON. Where do I sign up for his job? In my field, it's called MALPRACTICE. But hey, I can just tell the judge and jury that it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to know everything about the human foot. My bad.

That guy doesn't deserve anything that remotely resembles an excuse. Irresponsible and pathetic telejournalism--and not just because he got Hermanson's name wrong, but his whole schtick in general.

Great analogy! I just wanted to clarify that I never said they should know everything...just that they should know about each and every team. I think, considering their job title, these guys should at least have a working knowledge of each team, which they do not have. Doesn't really matter to me b/c I don't watch them. The only way they impact my life is by making me wade thru ****ty threads on WSI. Anyways, no sense in arguing any of this anymore.

Ol' No. 2
06-20-2005, 03:19 PM

Lots of these mediots have made asses of themselves, but Brantley is in a class by himself. He's on a personal crusade to trash Ozzie Guillen as a manager, much like Moronotti's obsession with Riensdorf. Ozzie must have run over his dog or something.

Fearless prediction: The Sox will have their magic number down to single digits in mid-September, and we'll STILL be hearing "They can't continue to play this well all year.":rolleyes:

skobabe8
06-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Or maybe they're making him believe that there'll be a lot of crying in our beer.

Steve Phillips - you cannot take back your ridiculous comment. Sorry. You're not allowed to. Not this year.

Like I said in a thread a few weeks back, when Steve Philips tries to hop on the bandwagon, tell him theres no room left.

:deadtrolls

Lip Man 1
06-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Now that's funny!

Lip

FarWestChicago
06-20-2005, 03:54 PM
It was easy for me to know 'everything' there was to know about 'my' teams during the 15 years I was on the tube because I didn't have 30 teams in my area. (Well maybe so if you count all the surrounding areas and hamlets of Monroe but many of them were not featured that often and when they were I could 'fake' it well...)Lip, do NOT compare yourself to Brantley. You ARE a walking baseball encyclopedia, he's never seen a book. :redneck

Chisox003
06-20-2005, 03:59 PM

I still dont understand that "crying in their beer" comment....(Check out the quote in my signature)

Every game the Sox win makes these guys look like bigger jackasses than they were before....46-22 and counting

:gulp:

DC Sox Fan
06-20-2005, 11:33 PM
I formally propose moving all threads regarding Jeff Belusegal (in honor of that great thread that stated he looked like a cross between Jim Belushi and Steven Segal) to the ****house. He deserves the Moronotti treatment.

http://www.timem.com/photo/pics/char37.jpg
"You'd look pretty funny trying to eat corn on the cob with no teeth!!!"