PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Gretzky

doublem23
06-19-2005, 11:53 PM
All right, I know that ESPN was talking to Gretzky at the game Sunday night, but the bar had the sound down so I have no idea what was said. Is Wayne a Sox fan? If so, please explain to me that connection? Anything else of interest said?

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-19-2005, 11:55 PM
He was there for prostate cancer awareness, but he did seem to know a lot about the White Sox!

iamkoza
All right, I know that ESPN was talking to Gretzky at the game Sunday night, but the bar had the sound down so I have no idea what was said. Is Wayne a Sox fan? If so, please explain to me that connection? Anything else of interest said?

he is not, mlb is having aprostate cancer whirlwind tour where wayne and his family are visiting 30 cities in 23 days or something....

he did mention something about a sox team in edmonton

CHEESESOXER

He's a Sox fan.
He said he used to follow their AAA team in Edmonton in the early 80's.

What a game, huh? ^5!

whitesoxfan
06-20-2005, 12:01 AM
he said he's good friends with Podsednik. I loved the jersey he was sporting too :cool:

SOXintheBURGH
06-20-2005, 12:04 AM
That may explain the thread I had earlier about Wayne and Robin hanging out at an Oriole game. Wicked.

SaltyPretzel
06-20-2005, 12:18 AM
A friend of a friend met him in the skybox bathroom several years back. He's been around the park a few times.

The Wall
06-20-2005, 12:24 AM
He said he went to a lot of games for the AAA team in Edmunton which was affiliated to the Sox at the time. So he becomes a default-Sox fan. He also said he would take Podsednik on his team if he had to select one player from Sox.

Is it my imagination or does he look younger now than a year ago when the NHL dispute was on?

doublem23
06-20-2005, 12:27 AM
That may explain the thread I had earlier about Wayne and Robin hanging out at an Oriole game. Wicked.

I was thinking of that, too, but my thought process was a bit cloudy at the bar.

TDog
06-20-2005, 01:18 AM
The Edmonton Trappers also were affiliated with the Angels after the White Sox affiliation ended, and Wayne Gretzky later moved to LA where the Dodgers are the celebrity favorites. He could easily be an Angels or Dodgers fan. Still, I can see why the White Sox might have a special place in Gretzky's heart.

In Edmonton in 1982, Gretzky was the big hockey star, Warren Moon was the big football star and Ron Kittle was the big baseball star, hitting 50 home runs that summer in the shorter minor league season. The next summer, Kittle was the AL Rookie of the year, and the Sox went to play for a shot at the World Series. Of course, of the 1982 Edmonton sports stars, Gretzky transcended the sport, and he alone has a road named for him.

That year was the golden age of Edmonton. In fact, SCTV was in production there that year, doing quality late-night quality for NBC. Gretzky's girlfriend appeared as an extra in a few of the episodes.

skobabe8
06-20-2005, 01:34 AM
The Edmonton Trappers also were affiliated with the Angels after the White Sox affiliation ended, and Wayne Gretzky later moved to LA where the Dodgers are the celebrity favorites. He could easily be an Angels or Dodgers fan. Still, I can see why the White Sox might have a special place in Gretzky's heart.

In Edmonton in 1982, Gretzky was the big hockey star, Warren Moon was the big football star and Ron Kittle was the big baseball star, hitting 50 home runs that summer in the shorter minor league season. The next summer, Kittle was the AL Rookie of the year, and the Sox went to play for a shot at the World Series. Of course, of the 1982 Edmonton sports stars, Gretzky transcended the sport, and he alone has a road named for him.

That year was the golden age of Edmonton. In fact, SCTV was in production there that year, doing quality late-night quality for NBC. Gretzky's girlfriend appeared as an extra in a few of the episodes.

I had no idea we had our very own Edmonton historian! :D:

Lip Man 1
06-20-2005, 01:39 AM
In Ron Kittle's interview with WSI, (the link is below), he talked about throwing BP to 'some guy named Wayne' in 1982. That he used to come out to the park a lot.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2152

Lip

knocko94
06-20-2005, 02:15 AM
Wayne and Ed Farmer talked on the radio and they sounded like they were old frat brothers.

Hangar18
06-20-2005, 07:59 AM
he also said the park was beautiful!!!!!!

Rocky Soprano
06-20-2005, 08:33 AM

And he said Mr. Reinsdorf was a great host to him and his family.

LuvSox
06-20-2005, 08:39 AM
Wayne and his wife were in attendance for the last game at Old Comiskey.

dickallen15
06-20-2005, 08:45 AM

ESPN was really giving the park props last night.

Deadguy
06-20-2005, 08:46 AM
I had no idea we had our very own Edmonton historian! :D:

I guess there's more to Edmonton than just some gigantic mall.

The Critic
06-20-2005, 10:04 AM
ESPN was really giving the park props last night.

Funny how a winning ballclub makes the park look better, huh?
:D:
Seriously, it's about time the perception of US Cellular Field is changing for the better. It's one of the better places to see a game, and the Sox should be commended for the great things they did ( with US Cellular's money, heh heh ) to improve the look and feel of the park.

Oh, and kinda back on topic, Gretzky seems like a real cool guy. I'd love to throw a cold one back with him and talk hockey and Sox baseball!

PatK
06-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Wayne's a big baseball fan and was a pretty good player, actually. I want to say he got drafted by the Blue Jays.

LVSoxFan
06-20-2005, 11:03 AM
They should love the park--what's not to love?

I tell ya, being there on an absolutely flawless night like last night... there's nothing better.

And Wayne effin' Gretzky--the Great One! How cool was that? That dude is the Michael Jordan of hockey! Loved seein' him in a Sox jersey!

Wasn't Robin Ventura there too?

BainesHOF
06-20-2005, 01:02 PM
I have some pictures of Gretzky in the Sox clubhouse circa 1983. The connection is a long one.