PDA

View Full Version : i caught a foul ball tonight...

DoggPhood
06-19-2005, 10:50 PM
...and gave it to a little boy in front of me. it's the first time in my life that a foul ball came anywhere near me, and i gave it away without even thinking about it really. i'd probably keep a home run ball, though.

was i on tv?

it probably had some of contreras' spit on it anyway.

ilsox7
06-19-2005, 10:52 PM
...and gave it to a little boy in front of me. it's the first time in my life that a foul ball came anywhere near me, and i gave it away without even thinking about it really. i'd probably keep a home run ball, though.

was i on tv?

That's awesome. Just think, some kid is going to be talking about tonight for the whole summer. Because of you.

Well done!

zach074
06-19-2005, 10:54 PM
You probably made a life long sox fan. Nice work!

PicktoCLick72
06-19-2005, 10:55 PM
I know this is kind of tooting my own horn but the only time a foul ball has come to me is at the All-star Game in 2003. It is preety cool to have everyone around you slapping five.

PAPChiSox729
06-19-2005, 10:57 PM

was i on tv?

Nice job. The world needs more people like you.
:thumbsup:

mike squires
06-19-2005, 10:58 PM
You are a better man than I may friend. I'd be putting that in my pocket. I'd at least give it to my little girl. But a nice gesture nontheless! I always at least get one during batting practice but never have I come close in a game...

Unregistered
06-19-2005, 10:58 PM

was i on tv?

Wait - were you the guy wearing the big sign around your neck that said "DOGGPHOOD" on it? :D:

ClaudelSleptHere
06-19-2005, 10:59 PM
Why didn't you throw it back? What kind of a fan are you?

SouthSide4Life
06-19-2005, 11:03 PM
good job, you did the right thing. i remember when i was a little guy some guy caught a ball behind me and not only didhe not let me have it but was a total dick about it....good job

MUsoxfan
06-19-2005, 11:05 PM
I've probably been to 200+ Sox and Brewers games. No foul bouls. No HR balls. Some close calls, but I don't think it's meant to be. If I did catch one (except in the case of historic signifigance), I'd be very DoggPhood-esque and give it to a little kid. It means 20x more to them than it would mean to me.

windycityson
06-19-2005, 11:10 PM
That's awesome. That kid will remember that forever. I was like 2 ft from cathcing Uribe's HR last wednesday. My son (5 at the time) got 2 balls in his 1st game against Boston. They were both BP balls but 2 nonetheless, he then gave one of them to a little girl in front of him. Her dad offered to by me a beer but i told him to get my kid a pop instead. (i was driving and had a pint in the car...lol...j/k)

DoggPhood
06-19-2005, 11:19 PM
a guy about my age (23) caught one about 4 rows in front of me earlier in the game, and sorta grabbed it from like a different little kid, and some people sorta gave him a hard time about it, and the guy was like "wooooooo! i got a ball." so i gave it to the kid in front of me who was probably like 4. it was funny cause he acted like he was the one who caught the ball.

i was at the game on saturday night as well, and a guy caught one about 10 rows in front of me and gave it to a little girl. and i said to my girlfriend, "no way, some people go their whole lives without catching a ball, i would keep it!"

i guess i ate my words! in a good way. but i didn't even think about it, i held the ball for about 5 seconds and just gave it to the kid.

SaltyPretzel
06-19-2005, 11:19 PM
What section were you sitting?

DoggPhood
06-19-2005, 11:20 PM
128, row 32, end of the row

SaltyPretzel
06-19-2005, 11:32 PM
128, row 32, end of the row

That's what I thought. I was sitting right in front of you wearing the #3 Baines jersey. I gave you a high five right after you gave it to the hispanic kid in front of you. Small world!!!

kevingrt
06-19-2005, 11:35 PM
I need the MJH audio clip, "We're happy for ya!"

But seriously thats a class act. You sound like a good guy

iamkoza
06-19-2005, 11:50 PM
You still remember catching the ball right? that's all u need.

=*Insert generic complement here*=

DoggPhood
06-19-2005, 11:55 PM
That's what I thought. I was sitting right in front of you wearing the #3 Baines jersey. I gave you a high five right after you gave it to the hispanic kid in front of you. Small world!!!

small world indeed! my first live wsi encounter

skobabe8
06-20-2005, 02:46 AM
small world indeed! my first live wsi encounter

Wheres the secret handshake when you need it?

ChicagoHoosier
06-20-2005, 09:40 AM
You still remember catching the ball right? that's all u need.

=*Insert generic complement here*=

Would be hard for me to give up a foul ball I caught, but also agree with this post that it still would be fun to tell the story. I just hope that if i ever catch a ball, i'll be there with my kid to make it an easy choice.

dickallen15
06-20-2005, 09:45 AM
I caught 6 balls in a 3 week period last season. I had not had any hit to me for 15 years before that, and haven't had any hit to me since. The last night I caught one, my friend I have tickets with also caught one. He has had about 8 hit right to him over the years. He did make a couple of errors in 2003.

windycityson
06-20-2005, 09:49 AM
I caught 6 balls in a 3 week period last season. I had not had any hit to me for 15 years before that, and haven't had any hit to me since. The last night I caught one, my friend I have tickets with also caught one. He has had about 8 hit right to him over the years. He did make a couple of errors in 2003.

But the best catch by a fan ever was that guy at Soldier Field who jumped over the railing and down the stands to catch that football after that FG....that was classic.