PDA

View Full Version : Closer Committee Crap!

White Sox Josh
06-19-2005, 11:33 PM
I've done a lot of research on this and it's not a bad thing at all if you have 2 guys who are closers. Both Shingo and Hermy can close. Look at the 99 Reds when they had Graves who saved 27 games and Williamson who saved 19 and won NL ROY. We could see something similar on the South Side. Can anyone else think of Closer-by-Committee's that have been very succesful in the past?

hubbard347
06-19-2005, 11:39 PM
The 2002 Yankees had somewhat of a closer by committee in 2002 when Rivera was hurt. Stanton, Karsay, and Mendoza all closed games but Mariano had more saves then the three combined. I cant think of another situation where it has been done.

MRKARNO
06-19-2005, 11:55 PM
Speaking of the Reds, the 1990 WS winning Reds had Rob Dibble with 11 saves and Randy Myers with 31.

SOXintheBURGH
06-19-2005, 11:56 PM
We could also potentially see Politte finish with somewhere around ten saves too.

Banix12
06-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Speaking of the Reds, the 1990 WS winning Reds had Rob Dibble with 11 saves and Randy Myers with 31.

and Norm Charlton I believe as the 3rd nasty boy, not saving games that year but definitely closers stuff.

94 Montreal Expos John Wetteland and Mel Rojas (before he was a cub failure)

The red sox a few years ago gave closer by committe a bad name, it's been successful in the past but since it was the red sox failing it got a ton of press unlike other times when it succeeded.

Chicago83
06-20-2005, 02:01 PM
I never understood the problem with closer by commitee. I always thought closers were overated anyways. I understand that it takes a different mentality to be one, but to me the last three outs are just as important as the 8th or even 2nd inning. I don't think it would be a bad idea to close by situation. Use the lefty against lefties or use the pitcher who best fits the situation. All I hear from analysts is that closer by commitee doesn't work. where do they base this opnion? Give me some examples and stats.

PaulDrake
06-20-2005, 02:44 PM
The hell with the modern "book", or whatever passes as current baseball knowledge. Just win games, and if that means a certain team doesn't have a designated closer so be it.

PAPChiSox729
06-20-2005, 03:20 PM
I don't get why you keep bringing up the 'Closer by Committee' thing. Yeah, the Committee thing has worked in the past, but also having one closer has worked quite well too. Hermanson has done a fine job this year. He has one bad outing in SD and people are ready for Shingo to close. Please, let Hermanson rebound. He had a pretty good outing last night, so I don't see why we would want someone else in there. I can understand certain situations where different relievers maybe used or if Dustin needed some rest, but using Hermanson in the majority of the save opprotunities seems like the best option, IMO.

Irishsox1
06-20-2005, 03:56 PM
1. Jeff Brantley is the leading crusaider against Closer by Committee, by the way he was a closer with San Francisco and his personal view on the matter is totally influnced by what he experienced as a former player & current mullett wearer.
2. The White Sox are NOT doing a closer by committee. Hermanson is the closer. Shingo was the closer, but he lost the role.
3. Why not have back up closers? In baseball you have back ups at every position, but according to Brantley, you can only have 1 closer and use him at every closer oppertunity. That doesn't make sense and isn't practical. Hermanson is the closer, but if needed the Sox have other guys that can finish the game.