PDA

View Full Version : ***Official To He** with ESPN....

CubsSuckSoBad
06-19-2005, 11:13 PM
Since I've seen a few people speak of this, I was watching this bull**** ESPN broadcast and they ran a feature on the north side vs the south side....

I know most of you saw that and it literally pissed me off to no end....

I can't believe they would run something like that....I'm so pissed I can't even spend the time to type out what was said...

EVERYTIME WE ARE ON NATIONAL TELEVISON, ESPN RUNS A ****ING CUB FEATURE....:angry:

When the flubs are on espn, the sox are NEVER spoken off....

Joe Morgan just said "A lot of people dont know this, but the White Sox used to be on WGN...They used to outdraw the Cubs"

Yeah they used to outdraw the cubs, but they are STILL ON WGN....

IM SO PISSED RIGHT NOW:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'm glad we won cuz I would boycott ESPN all together....

PAPChiSox729
06-19-2005, 11:15 PM
As long as they keep winning, I could care less about ESPN.

Alanzo XXXVIII
06-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Much ado about nothing.

SouthSide4Life
Since I've seen a few people speak of this, I was watching this bull**** ESPN broadcast and they ran a feature on the north side vs the south side....

I can't believe they would run something like that....I'm so pissed I can't even spend the time to type out what was said...

EVERYTIME WE ARE ON NATIONAL TELEVISON, ESPN RUNS A ****ING CUB FEATURE....:angry:

Joe Morgan just said "A lot of people dont know this, but the White Sox used to be on WGN...They used to outdraw the Cubs"

IM SO PISSED RIGHT NOW

I'm glad we won cuz I would boycott ESPN all together....couldnt have said it better:angry::angry::angry: espn is :dtroll:

Erik The Red
So let me get this straight. You hated the broadcast, but your decision on whether or not to boycott ESPN would have been based solely off of whether or not the Sox won?

That sounds kinda retarded.

ilsox7
06-19-2005, 11:17 PM

IM SO PISSED RIGHT NOW:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Does anyone else see the irony in someone with a user name of CubsSuckSoBad complaining that whenever you talk about the Sox on ESPN, the Cubs are invariably linked to the conversation? Sorry, just got a kick out of that.

daslobo
06-19-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm in on the boycott. I already called Comcast to try to get ESPN removed from my cable pacakge (they said they couldn't). I'll never go to that stinkin sportszone place downtown and if I ever do go past it I'll protest nice and loud. I'd love to set up a Sox fan protest network to start hitting back at some of these media outfits. Imagine a Sox fan protesting ESPN right off Michigan ave each 8AM and 5PM. That would be awesome.

FarWestChicago
Does anyone else see the irony in someone with a user name of CubsSuckSoBad complaining that whenever you talk about the Sox on ESPN, the Cubs are invariably linked to the conversation? Sorry, just got a kick out of that.That is beyond amusing, but this piece of crap needs to be moved. :redneck

SouthSide4Life
Does anyone else see the irony in someone with a user name of CubsSuckSoBad complaining that whenever you talk about the Sox on ESPN, the Cubs are invariably linked to the conversation? Sorry, just got a kick out of that.very true but ESPNs broadcast was entirely slanted and biased:morgan"but c'mon i did ok, right"

Unregistered
06-19-2005, 11:20 PM
Does anyone else see the irony in someone with a user name of CubsSuckSoBad complaining that whenever you talk about the Sox on ESPN, the Cubs are invariably linked to the conversation? Sorry, just got a kick out of that.That and the idea that someone can LITERALLY be "pissed off to no end." I don't even know what that means...
:?:

SOXfnNlansing
06-19-2005, 11:20 PM
*yawn*

FredManrique
06-19-2005, 11:21 PM
So let me get this straight. You hated the broadcast, but your decision on whether or not to boycott ESPN would have been based solely off of whether or not the Sox won?

That sounds kinda retarded.

Sounds logical to me. Our team is winning, let's not let ESPN ruin it. Grit your teeth and bear it. Mute the TV and put on the radio.

Then don't watch the ESPN rubbish the rest of the time. Makes sense to me...

Stroker Ace
06-19-2005, 11:22 PM
I was so pissed off when "The Network" ran that flub garbage. I will NEVER watch a Sox game on "The Network" again! If you want to regain my viewership, firte everyone associated with that broadcast and whoever let that B------- feature on the air.:angry: :angry: :angry:

CubsSuckSoBad
06-19-2005, 11:27 PM
Does anyone else see the irony in someone with a user name of CubsSuckSoBad complaining that whenever you talk about the Sox on ESPN, the Cubs are invariably linked to the conversation? Sorry, just got a kick out of that.

If they would have spoken about how bad the cubs are, then everything would have been great now wouldn't it have?

There's no irony in it...My hatred for the cubs runs deep....it is what it is...

ilsox7
06-19-2005, 11:29 PM
If they would have spoken about how bad the cubs are, then everything would have been great now wouldn't it have?

There's no irony in it...My hatred for the cubs runs deep....it is what it is...

Uh, should I explain this one folks? OK, I will.

See, you take issue b/c ESPN invariably links the White Sox to the Cubs. That pisses you off a great deal. However, you do exactly the same thing by having a user name of CubsSuckSoBad. You are also linking the Sox to the Cubs.

Why not go with WhiteSoxRuleSoMuch?

IA_soxfan
06-19-2005, 11:29 PM
I didn't start watching until the 7th, what happened? The espn announcers seemed very complimentary of the sox for the part of the game that I watched.

ilsox7
06-19-2005, 11:32 PM
I didn't start watching until the 7th, what happened? The espn announcers seemed very complimentary of the sox for the part of the game that I watched.

I agree. Morgan and Thorne gushed the whole game about the Sox. Most people are pissed b/c they ran a 30 second segment of satire based on the Cubs-Sox "rivalry." So the mere mention of the Cubs during a Sox game has a lot of people up in arms at ESPN. In fact, these people should be up in arms at ESPN for many, many other reasons.

Overall, they did a nice mini-feature on Fundamentals and also the Food at the Park. They also gushed about the way the Sox play the game.

MeanFish
06-19-2005, 11:33 PM
Maybe I'm just not bitter enough for the rest of y'all, but I thought that the good far outweighed the bad in that broadcast.

The clip they showed was entirely accurate: they exposed Cubdom as a movement for moronic drunks who like curses and weed-covered walls. They looked at us as a work in progress. I know you don't like hearing about the Cubs, but as long as they're our #1 rival (and don't kid yourself -- they are when it comes to the fans) they will be an important part of our identity. After all, what would Batman be without the Joker? Just another guy in a rubber bat suit.

And sure, the clip did dog our stadium. But the ESPN crew that was there sure didn't. They showcased our great food and the fundamentals area -- they made the stadium look like someplace that people would want to go. They went out of their way to mention the improvements over the last few years. What more do you want?

Then, they give VERY fair analysis of our team throughout the whole game -- talking about how our success is 1-run games is no fluke. Talking about our consistent pitching and offense making us unlikely to slump for long periods of time. Discussing Contreras' refusal to trust his fastball -- something we do ourselves.

Brantley may be a tool, but the crew that was actually AT the stadium did a heck of a job, in my humble opinion. What more do you want?

KW and Ozzie represented the team well in their brief interviews that offered honest, unloaded questions. The stadium looked good. The team looked good. This was a positive night for White Sox baseball, and it should be treated as such...and whether you like it or not, ESPN actually had a hand in it. The best part is...the more we win, the better it gets.

samram
06-19-2005, 11:35 PM
I agree. Morgan and Thorne gushed the whole game about the Sox. Most people are pissed b/c they ran a 30 second segment of satire based on the Cubs-Sox "rivalry." So the mere mention of the Cubs during a Sox game has a lot of people up in arms at ESPN. In fact, these people should be up in arms at ESPN for many, many other reasons.

Overall, they did a nice mini-feature on Fundamentals and also the Food at the Park. They also gushed about the way the Sox play the game.

I've got no problem with the broadcasters tonight. The rivalry thing was really dumb, and really just one minute of Cubbie praise. However, I agree with you that Thorne (who I really don't care for) and Morgan spoke very highly of the Sox.

StrTrkker
06-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Yeah...

Thats piece on the Sox/Cubs sucked. But u know...its all about what ESPN thinks will satisfy the national baseball audience. I kinda expected there was gonna be some kinda mention on the Cubs that would find its way into the broadcast, so I wasnt shocked or pissed enough to get mad or upset.

I did get a bit pissed (and embarrased somewhat) to see the few Sox fans with their cell phones waving and acting up on the camera. Geez...sit and watch the game and shut your cell phones off.

BTW...anyone catch that kid in the 1st inning acting like a total idiot when the camera was on him? True enough hes a youngster...but comon you would think their parents would tell him to settle down.

ilsox7
06-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Maybe I'm just not bitter enough for the rest of y'all, but I thought that the good far outweighed the bad in that broadcast.

The clip they showed was entirely accurate: they exposed Cubdom as a movement for moronic drunks who like curses and weed-covered walls. They looked at us as a work in progress. I know you don't like hearing about the Cubs, but as long as they're our #1 rival (and don't kid yourself -- they are when it comes to the fans) they will be an important part of our identity. After all, what would Batman be without the Joker? Just another guy in a rubber bat suit.

And sure, the clip did dog our stadium. But the ESPN crew that was there sure didn't. They showcased our great food and the fundamentals area -- they made the stadium look like someplace that people would want to go. They went out of their way to mention the improvements over the last few years. What more do you want?

Then, they give VERY fair analysis of our team throughout the whole game -- talking about how our success is 1-run games is no fluke. Talking about our consistent pitching and offense making us unlikely to slump for long periods of time. Discussing Contreras' refusal to trust his fastball -- something we do ourselves.

Brantley may be a tool, but the crew that was actually AT the stadium did a heck of a job, in my humble opinion. What more do you want?

KW and Ozzie represented the team well in their brief interviews that offered honest, unloaded questions. The stadium looked good. The team looked good. This was a positive night for White Sox baseball, and it should be treated as such...and whether you like it or not, ESPN actually had a hand in it. The best part is...the more we win, the better it gets.

Great summary. My thoughts exactly...I just didn't feellike typing so much. :D:

ilsox7
06-19-2005, 11:37 PM
Yeah...

Thats piece on the Sox/Cubs sucked. But u know...its all about what ESPN thinks will satisfy the national baseball audience. I kinda expected there was gonna be some kinda mention on the Cubs that would find its way into the broadcast, so I wasnt shocked or pissed enough to get mad or upset.

I did get a bit pissed (and embarrased somewhat) to see the few Sox fans with their cell phones waving and acting up on the camera. Geez...sit and watch the game and shut your cell phones off.

BTW...anyone catch that kid in the 1st inning acting like a total idiot when the camera was on him? True enough hes a youngster...but comon you would think their parents would tell him to settle down.

I've been pretty annoyed with some things at the ballpark this year. For instance, I was at the game last Monday when JC pitched poorly. I was quite upset at all the booing. He has been great for us this year. But I also realize that comes with the territory of drawing the casual Sox fan to the games.

FarWestChicago
06-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Uh, should I explain this one folks? OK, I will.

See, you take issue b/c ESPN invariably links the White Sox to the Cubs. That pisses you off a great deal. However, you do exactly the same thing by having a user name of CubsSuckSoBad. You are also linking the Sox to the Cubs.

Why not go with WhiteSoxRuleSoMuch?Exactly. Every time this guy posts his stupid assed username associates our site with the Flubs. I ****ing hate Flubs based usernames. :angry:

ilsox7
06-19-2005, 11:40 PM
Exactly. Every time this guy posts his stupid assed username associates our site with the Flubs. I ****ing hate Flubs based usernames. :angry:

Glad I'm not the only one.

MeanFish
06-19-2005, 11:40 PM
I've been pretty annoyed with some things at the ballpark this year. For instance, I was at the game last Monday when JC pitched poorly. I was quite upset at all the booing. He has been great for us this year. But I also realize that comes with the territory of drawing the casual Sox fan to the games.

During the initial stages of our fanbase's growth, there is going to be somewhat of an assimilation period: you see, the Cub fans have set the standard for what's appropriate in Chicago baseball parks, so newbies may not understand that things go down a bit differently at "Sox Park." Over time though, they'll learn the game better. This team is one that takes real baseball knowledge to understand, something being a Cub fan has never really demanded. I doubt the boo-birds will remain in force for a very long time.

ilsox7
06-19-2005, 11:42 PM
During the initial stages of our fanbase's growth, there is going to be somewhat of an assimilation period: you see, the Cub fans have set the standard for what's appropriate in Chicago baseball parks, so newbies may not understand that things go down a bit differently at "Sox Park." Over time though, they'll learn the game better. This team is one that takes real baseball knowledge to understand, something being a Cub fan has never really demanded. I doubt the boo-birds will remain in force for a very long time.

Agreed. It's great going to the game and seeing so many kids in their teens and even younger. Even around WSI...while the growth will bring the trolls, it is also bringing younger people who are just discovering not only the Sox, but the game of baseball. It's a terrific strategy to build a SOLID fan base.

Erik The Red
06-19-2005, 11:45 PM
Sounds logical to me. Our team is winning, let's not let ESPN ruin it. Grit your teeth and bear it. Mute the TV and put on the radio.

Sounds logical? OK, let me break this down for you:

****ty broadcast + Sox loss = OMG BOYCOTT!!1!1!!

****ty broadcast + Sox win = business as usual

There's something profoundly ****ed up about that, and if you don't see it, that's your problem.

Lip Man 1
06-20-2005, 12:01 AM
I would think Joe Morgan would like this style of play. I think he spoke highly of the club tonight.

Remember Morgan played for the Reds, a team that beat you with speed, defense, more speed and some big time home run pop. Sounds like the 2005 Sox doesn't it?

Lip

ilsox7
06-20-2005, 12:03 AM
I would think Joe Morgan would like this style of play. I think he spoke highly of the club tonight.

Remember Morgan played for the Reds, a team that beat you with speed, defense, more speed and some big time home run pop. Sounds like the 2005 Sox doesn't it?

Lip

Sounds almost like a "machine" if you ask me. :cool:

PicktoCLick72
06-20-2005, 12:08 AM
Does anyone else find it ironic that Meanfish posts are the exact opposite of Homefish's?

MRKARNO
06-20-2005, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I don't understand why people were upset with this broadcast. Morgan and Thorne were practically biased towards the White Sox. One little piece about the Sox-Cubs rivalry and people are up in arms. And a lot of the people who are upset are the same as those who contribute disproportionately to the "What's the Score?" forum. :rolleyes:

rwcescato
06-20-2005, 12:28 AM

Well one thing is certain. They won't be talking about the flubs or wrigley field if they are not in the playoffs and the Sox are. And if they do who cares because the Sox are playing and the flubs won't be.
Rich

SoxSpeed22
06-20-2005, 12:31 AM
The one Morgan call that was stupid was after the 3-1 pitch ended the game.
"He could've done that on 2-1"
:spam

FredManrique
06-20-2005, 12:34 AM
Sounds logical? OK, let me break this down for you:

****ty broadcast + Sox loss = OMG BOYCOTT!!1!1!!

****ty broadcast + Sox win = business as usual

There's something profoundly ****ed up about that, and if you don't see it, that's your problem.

Fair enough then.

I don't quite why you're so worked out about this. A guy will put up with a crappy broadcast to watch his team win, but not to watch them lose. I don't think it's quite that dramatic.

Anyway, what's wrong with watching the game on espn with the sound off, and listening to the radio, or stereo or something?

Palehose13
06-20-2005, 01:06 AM

I'm with you. I didn't watch the entire broadcast. I saw innings 1-3 and then 7-final. I guess I missed the cub piece, but at the end of the games the broadcasters couldn't stop complimenting the Sox...which surprised me being that one of them was Morgan.

Oh and West...I agree with you 100% about the cub-based user names. I'm a Sox fan, not an anti-cub fan. :wink:

miker
06-20-2005, 01:13 AM
very true but ESPNs broadcast was entirely slanted and biased:morgan"but c'mon i did ok, right"

Morgan tried to make himself relevant by talking about how Nellie Fox was an influence when Joe came up as a rookie in Houston. Thorne talked about referring to the "Cubbies" when he was working for the Sox and hearing about it from the fans. And finally, the blond with microphone showed off a corned beef sandwich. Typical ESPN hack job.

But its OK, we will win without the support of the national media!

TornLabrum
06-20-2005, 01:27 AM

For starters, Brantley's head on a pike would be nice.

TornLabrum
06-20-2005, 01:31 AM
Morgan tried to make himself relevant by talking about how Nellie Fox was an influence when Joe came up as a rookie in Houston. Thorn talked about referring to the "Cubbies" when he was working for the Sox and hearing about it from the fans. And finally, the blond with microphone showed off a corned beef sandwich. Typical ESPN hack job.

But its OK, we will win without the support of the national media!

Nellie Fox was a big influence on Morgan's development. The elbow flapping was a timing mechanism Fox suggested when he was a player-coach with the Colt .45s. Oh, and Morgan was Fox's biggest supporter on the Veterans Committee to get fox elected to the HOF. That's not trying to make yourself relevant. That's called speaking from the heart.

Chisox003
06-20-2005, 01:36 AM

Oh God...I could see it now....An angry mob of WSIers travel to the ESPN headquarters, and show up at the gate with torches and covered in tribal warrior paint, equipped with spears and shields, hunting for the head of that greasy jackass...

Sounds fun....Count me in :gulp:

miker
06-20-2005, 01:39 AM
Nellie Fox was a big influence on Morgan's development. The elbow flapping was a timing mechanism Fox suggested when he was a player-coach with the Colt .45s. Oh, and Morgan was Fox's biggest supporter on the Veterans Committee to get fox elected to the HOF. That's not trying to make yourself relevant. That's called speaking from the heart.

Than I stand corrected. But what about the interview with the sandwich?

TDog
06-20-2005, 01:59 AM
I didn't see the telecast, but in chat people were constantly complaining about the ESPN announcers.

If ESPN did a Cubs game and occasionally noted that the Cubs are not in contention, but the White Sox have the best record in baseball, I think you would hear complaint from Cubs fans. Sox fans tune in to see their team. Talk about the other team on the field, but don't talk about the Cubs.

I talked to Mike Yastrzemski when he was playing for the Sox PCL team. He said that when other players go 4 for 5, writers asked them about their game. He was upset that they asked him about his father. And he respected his father.

kittle42
06-20-2005, 02:03 AM
These threads are almost worse than the attendance threads. Again, some people here will never be happy until the media starts treating the Sox the way they treat the Cubs....but that won't be enough - they'll want the Cubs to be treated the way they perceive the Sox are being treated, too. Two wrongs don't make a right.

ChiSoxRowand
06-20-2005, 02:05 AM
For the most part the broadcast was good, Thorne and Morgan pretty much kissed the Sox ass the entire game. But that piece sucked. Every time we are on ESPN we have to hear about the Cubs and how they outdraw us. But overall the broadcast was good, plus we didn't have to listen to Jon Miller. "Juan Oooribe".

Nellie_Fox
06-20-2005, 02:23 AM
IF they wanted to cover the split between Cubs and Sox fans in Chicago, then they needed to do it differently. You don't cover Wrigley with a guy talking about how wonderful the experience there is, the say "we'll have the other side of the story next" and have the same damn guy talk about how crappy the Sox and Comiskey are! At least have someone represent the Sox and explain why it's good to be a Sox fan.

However, Morgan was sincere. Nellie was his hero and mentor, then he talked about how much help Big Klu was as his hitting coach at Cincinatti, thus illustrating his affection for, and connection to, the '59 Sox. By the way, the "arm flap" that Nellie taught him wasn't so much a timing mechanism as a way of reminding himself to keep his elbow away from his body.

ilsox7
06-20-2005, 02:26 AM
IF they wanted to cover the split between Cubs and Sox fans in Chicago, then they needed to do it differently. You don't cover Wrigley with a guy talking about how wonderful the experience there is, the say "we'll have the other side of the story next" and have the same damn guy talk about how crappy the Sox and Comiskey are! At least have someone represent the Sox and explain why it's good to be a Sox fan.

Interesting to hear your take on the piece. To me, it was clearly set up as a satire piece of how things are viewed in this city. I actually thought they came off making fun of the Cubs (wasn't there an Ivy covered beer garden comment?). I dunno, I found it all rather boring and maybe slightly humorous.

Lip Man 1
06-20-2005, 03:01 AM
Just look at what Morgan said after Rowand's single. (I'm paraphrasing) 'That's the way they play the game. It's different from other teams. Posednik was going to score anyway but the Sox were going to send that second runner regardless of who he was. That's the way Ozzie plays.'

Just listen to the play of the game highlight available on MLB.com or White Sox.com and listen for yourself.

Lip

MrRoboto83
06-20-2005, 03:38 AM
These threads are almost worse than the attendance threads. Again, some people here will never be happy until the media starts treating the Sox the way they treat the Cubs....but that won't be enough - they'll want the Cubs to be treated the way they perceive the Sox are being treated, too. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I totally agree, it would be hard to make some of these people happy on here. If everyone started talking good about the Sox and we sold out every game, then everyone would be saying that everyone is jumping on the Sox bandwagon, and how they don't like having those types of people around our ballpark. I know I would be complaining that I wouldn't be able to walk up to the ticket window and get a ticket!!:mad:

skobabe8
06-20-2005, 04:46 AM
The only thing I'm upset at is that instead of replaying the game at like 2am like espn always does, they are replaying the pistons/spurs game. I really wanted to see how the broadcast was since I was in attendance tonight.

TornLabrum
06-20-2005, 11:21 AM

However, Morgan was sincere. Nellie was his hero and mentor, then he talked about how much help Big Klu was as his hitting coach at Cincinatti, thus illustrating his affection for, and connection to, the '59 Sox. By the way, the "arm flap" that Nellie taught him wasn't so much a timing mechanism as a way of reminding himself to keep his elbow away from his body.

You're right about the arm flap. I misspoke.

Orta 4-6-3
06-20-2005, 12:20 PM
I had no problem with the broadcast. Thorne & Morgan gave the Sox their due.

"BBTN" & "Sportcenter", however...:angry: Can't watch that part of the Eastern Seaboard Propoganda Network anymore.

kittle42
06-20-2005, 12:47 PM

"BBTN" & "Sportcenter", however...:angry: Can't watch that part of the Eastern Seaboard Propoganda Network anymore.

It's even the little things with ESPN...their 3-times-an-hour Sportscenter national updates on the radio? They ALWAYS start baseball coverage with the AL East. Ugh.

SOXSINCE'70
06-20-2005, 01:12 PM

Lip

Lip,

He's the greatest second baseman to play the game.Just ask him.:roflmao: :roflmao:

SOXSINCE'70
06-20-2005, 01:14 PM

Keep in mind the fact that Gary Thorne was the Sox PBP man
for a period during the 1989 season.He called Carlton Fisk's
3,000th hit.I knew that voice sounded familiar.

SOXSINCE'70
06-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Just look at what Morgan said after Rowand's single. (I'm paraphrasing) 'That's the way they play the game. It's different from other teams. Posednik was going to score anyway but the Sox were going to send that second runner regardless of who he was. That's the way Ozzie plays.'

Just listen to the play of the game highlight available on MLB.com or White Sox.com and listen for yourself.

Lip

He also dissed the Dodgers for not sending the extra runner in the 4th (3rd?)
that would have given them a 2-0 lead.Both RISP's could have scored,
but didn't.As your quote confirms,Morgan said (i'm paraphrasing here)
"That wouldn't happen with the White Sox.Ozzie Guillen's team knows
that if there are 2 runners in scoring position,they both will score on
a single".

Captian Ron
06-20-2005, 01:21 PM
ESPN WHO????:bs:

The Dude
06-20-2005, 02:36 PM

Early Christmas gift???:D::D::D:

By the way, has anyone emailed Brantley about his dumbass mistakes regarding players names, etc???