PDA

View Full Version : Barry Zito

White Sox Josh
06-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Should the Sox try to trade for Barry Zito? If El Duque is really seriously hurt it might be a good idea.

Cubbiesuck13
06-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Should the Sox try to trade for Barry Zito? If El Duque is really seriously hurt it might be a good idea.

Does this mean we can see a Barry Zito in a SOX uniform...in your sig? Can't wait?

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Does this mean we can see a Barry Zito in a SOX uniform...in your sig? Can't wait?

:rolling:

Banix12
06-19-2005, 10:35 PM

He's not pitched all that well the last couple years, though he has been pretty good the last few starts. I wouldn't say no if El Duque is really hurt badly cause he can help any team. I have the figure though the price would be way too high for a guy who would essentially be our #5 starter. I just don't think he is going to be seriously on the trading block since I believe the A's still own his rights for next season, though I could be mistaken.

Jaime Moyer seems like a more likely target to me if we need pitching. Though hopefully El Duque is just going through another stint of tired arm, as is customary for him and he'll be back soon.

SoxFan76
06-19-2005, 10:42 PM
I swear this guy is Jabroni reincarnated.

SOXintheBURGH
06-19-2005, 10:50 PM
He's not pitched all that well the last couple years, though he has been pretty good the last few starts. I wouldn't say no if El Duque is really hurt badly cause he can help any team. I have the figure though the price would be way too high for a guy who would essentially be our #5 starter. I just don't think he is going to be seriously on the trading block since I believe the A's still own his rights for next season, though I could be mistaken.

Jaime Moyer seems like a more likely target to me if we need pitching. Though hopefully El Duque is just going through another stint of tired arm, as is customary for him and he'll be back soon.

Agreed.. Zito has really, really fallen apart and I feel bad for him, seemed like a future great.

Moyer could be interesting too.. never thought of him. Isn't he almost as old as Duque now?

Banix12
06-19-2005, 11:07 PM
Agreed.. Zito has really, really fallen apart and I feel bad for him, seemed like a future great.

Moyer could be interesting too.. never thought of him. Isn't he almost as old as Duque now?

Since we don't really know El Duque's real age it's tough to say but officially Moyer is older

PAPChiSox729
06-19-2005, 11:18 PM
I swear this guy is Jabroni reincarnated.

I really miss his 75+ pointless post a day. Is he banned forever or is it just a 6-monther?

White Sox Josh
06-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Elmer Dessens (Mutual Option
Jamey Wright
Jose Lima
Ismael Valdez
Ramon Ortiz (Mutual Option) (arb.)
Pedro Astacio
John Halama (Mutual Option)

PAPChiSox729
06-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Jamey Wright
Jose Lima
Ismael Valdez
Pedro Astacio

Yeah.................. I'll keep El Duque. McCarthy is fine as a no.6.

Cubbiesuck13
06-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Yeah.................. I'll keep El Duque. McCarthy is fine as a no.6.

I was thinking the same thing. ................. and all. I don't think The Duke is hurt. I have a feeling they just want to make sure he is there for when we need him which is down the stretch (depening on the race) and the playoffs. KW said that is the reason they got him along with saying that he doesn't expect him to make 30+ starts. Combine that with his raving about his health when they did his physical and I think it leads to this.

White Sox Josh
06-19-2005, 11:35 PM
I was thinking the same thing. ................. and all. I don't think The Duke is hurt. I have a feeling they just want to make sure he is there for when we need him which is down the stretch (depening on the race) and the playoffs. KW said that is the reason they got him along with saying that he doesn't expect him to make 30+ starts. Combine that with his raving about his health when they did his physical and I think it leads to this.I hope so because he is lights out during the playoffs.

Cubbiesuck13
06-19-2005, 11:35 PM
I hope so because he is lights out during the playoffs.

Damn straight.

PAPChiSox729
06-19-2005, 11:52 PM
I was thinking the same thing. ................. and all. I don't think The Duke is hurt. I have a feeling they just want to make sure he is there for when we need him which is down the stretch (depening on the race) and the playoffs. KW said that is the reason they got him along with saying that he doesn't expect him to make 30+ starts. Combine that with his raving about his health when they did his physical and I think it leads to this.

I should apologize for the ".........." thing. I have a habit of using "..." a lot in my posts. This one was "extra" long because that post was "extra" stupid (no offense).

Mohoney
06-20-2005, 12:17 AM
Jamey Wright
Jose Lima
Ismael Valdez
Pedro Astacio

Everybody on that list makes me want to barf in my mouth.

ilsox7
06-20-2005, 01:32 AM
I don't think much will be available for trade b/c so many teams are within shouting distance of a playoff spot. Clemens may be the only huge difference maker available.

Banix12
06-20-2005, 01:49 AM
Realistically these are the best names out there that will likely be available and the sox have a realistic shot at come trading deadline.

Jaime Moyer (free agent after season I beleive but has power to veto trade)
Mark Redman (player + mutual option for next season)
Al Leiter (having awful season but likely available if a NL East team that isn't the marlins starts to run away)
Jason Johnson (free agent, but inside division so unlikely)
Jose Lima (free agent, don't really want him)

I also believe Ted Lilly (having bad season) is gonna be a free agent as well as a few of the mets pitchers Tom Glavine, Steve Trachsel (on DL still I think), and Kaz Ishii. Those three all have options and one of them will likely be dangled at the deadline for help, especially if Trachsel returns strong.

It's not really a big year for pitchers being available so the price is gonna be high. The sox best bet is probably the status quo, hope McCarthy can come through and pitch El Duque when healthy.

kittle42
06-20-2005, 01:58 AM
Jamey Wright
Jose Lima
Ismael Valdez
Pedro Astacio

It *is* Jabroni!

Chisox003
06-20-2005, 02:17 AM
Jamey Wright
Jose Lima
Ismael Valdez
Pedro Astacio

Josh, buddy, the pitchers on that list shouldnt even be in the major leagues let alone pitching for a team contending for the pennant.

As for Barry Zito, it's not happening, and even if it could, Beane would want way too much...I'll Pass

Next

Dick Allen
06-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Josh, buddy, the pitchers on that list shouldnt even be in the major leagues let alone pitching for a team contending for the pennant.

As for Barry Zito, it's not happening, and even if it could, Beane would want way too much...I'll Pass

NextThen what does that say for the Sox that they only get 2 hits off Dessens?

White Sox Josh
06-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Then what does that say for the Sox that they only get 2 hits off Dessens?they are all decent pitchers who at one point had success. Halama could be a good swing man if needed.

kittle42
06-20-2005, 12:52 PM
they are all decent pitchers who at one point had success. Halama could be a good swing man if needed.

John Halama? The only thing he'd be good at doing as a "swing man" is swinging his neck around to watch the balls fly out of the stadium.

Wait...I have got to review this list again:

Elmer Dessens
Jamey Wright
Jose Lima
Ismael Valdez
Ramon Ortiz
Pedro Astacio
John Halama

Yeah, they're all pretty good swing men in that same respect. Dessens is the best of the bunch, but only because he hasn't pitched enough yet this year to suck it up royally like Lima Time (no pun intended).

SOXSINCE'70
06-20-2005, 01:33 PM
I'll deal with Hernandez and McCarthy.I knew Duque wouldn't make
30 starts this year.I am kind of pissed he lied to KW,though.If you're in
pain,say it.Don't hide it.It only hurts you and your teammates.

Just my opinion.