PDA

View Full Version : WSCR discovers baseball team called "Chicago White Sox" and their fans...

miker
06-19-2005, 06:55 PM
A thousand pardons if this has already been brought up, and I'm setting myself up as I don't listen to "sports radio" that often, but ever since the announcement that WSCR will be the radio home for the Sox starting next year, they have been in full "kiss butt" mode towards the Sox. As a Sox fan, its rather demeaning and condescending, but seeing how the media usually treats our team and its fans, it's different.

On the other hand, I expect AM 1000 to increase the anti-Sox rhetoric as this season continues. You can practically hear Bruce Levine's pants fall around his ankles whenever he talks about his beloved Cubs, but he was all too eager to dismiss any "hype" about the Dodgers coming back to the south side and any references to 1959.

Now I know why I shouldn't listen to "sports radio"...:mad:

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

cheeses_h_rice
06-19-2005, 07:57 PM
I would say you haven't been listening at all to the Score this year. Nearly all of their hosts except for noted Flub harlot Mike Murphy have bent over backward to give the Sox coverage and the ol' pat on the back. Plus their commercials for weeks have been hyping "If you want to hear news about the first place Chicago White Sox, WSCR is the place."

If they've been negative or bashing, they've been doing that at least as equally toward the North Side ballclub.

miker
06-19-2005, 08:05 PM
If they've been negative or bashing, they've been doing that at least as equally toward the North Side ballclub.

Like I said in my initial post, I only listen occasionally, so I'll take your word for it.

Viva Medias B's
06-19-2005, 10:12 PM
It seems that every ten minutes or so, the Score runs a promo mentioning that it's "Your new home for the 2006 White Sox."

DickAllen72
06-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Now all the Score has to do is stop running commercials for Strip Clubs and drop "Bores" & Bernstein and they will have become a respectable radio station.

MUsoxfan
06-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Now all the Score has to do is stop running commercials for Strip Clubs and drop "Bores" & Bernstein and they will have become a respectable radio station.

I disagree on both counts. :tongue:

Juice16
06-19-2005, 11:54 PM
I agree on both counts

Palehose13
06-20-2005, 12:12 AM
I agree on one count. Those strip club commercials have got to go...it's a little embarrassing to be listening at work and have a "Heavenly Bodies" commercial come on.

miker
06-20-2005, 12:17 AM
I agree on one count. Those strip club commercials have got to go...it's a little embarrassing to be listening at work and have a "Heavenly Bodies" commercial come on.

No offense intended, but it speaks volumes about the target audience. Maybe having the Sox broadcasts will send some more legitimate advertisers their way.

kittle42
06-20-2005, 01:05 AM
No offense intended, but it speaks volumes about the target audience. Maybe having the Sox broadcasts will send some more legitimate advertisers their way.

Ha.

Banix12
06-20-2005, 02:11 AM
Those strip club commercials have got to go...it's a little embarrassing to be listening at work and have a "Heavenly Bodies" commercial come on.

Radio runs on Ad revenue and their money is as good as anybody elses. I'm sure the strip clubs also have to pay a premium price higher than other advertisers to get their ads on the radio. I'm not advocating that strip club commericals are good, I'm just saying they need the money.

I would also disagree that we are going to hear a lot of anti-sox rhetoric on AM-1000. It still stands that the lead host on their most popular show, Dan McNeil, is a sox fan. Also now that they don't have any baseball on the station they are going to have to straddle the middle and attract both sides to listen to their original programming. They still need sox fans to listen just as much as they need cub fans to flee from the score to them. It is not in their best interests to alienate the fans of any team in town, especially now that M,J&H are their one draw.

AM 1000 is in trouble for other reasons other than losing sox baseball. Chicago is famous for it's loyalty to local radio programming and they have two national shows in the morning drive and early afternoon slots. It makes it difficult for the sandwich show Silvy and Carmen to build a strong audience.

Mike North's transition to the mornings has been a bit rocky (he's trying too hard to be like Spike O'Dell's morning show on WGN instead of Mike North's old afternoon show, mostly due to limitations of the morning format) but realistically he should always kill Mike and Mike in the ratings here and Dan Patrick doesn't usually fare well against B & B.

Nellie_Fox
06-20-2005, 02:41 AM
It still stands that the lead host on their most popular show, Dan McNeil, is a sox fan. B.S. Mac is only a Sox fan to the extent that, if forced to endure a sports scene that had only baseball, he'd be a Sox fan. He has always spent most of baseball season counting down the weeks "until the Bears are back in pads."

He's a typical former high-school football player who thinks that the world revolves around football.

34 Inch Stick
06-20-2005, 11:03 AM

I thought you worked in a high school. Are you teaching a communications class?

cheeses_h_rice
06-20-2005, 11:23 AM

Don't forget the newest entry in the strip club sweepstakes, "Polekatz".

:rolleyes:

BigEdWalsh
06-20-2005, 11:35 AM

I totally agree about dropping the strip club commercials. Kids listen to ballgames for crissakes. At the very least those commercials should only run in the wee hours of the morning.
As far as the on air personalities as far as I'm concerned,, the Score can drop all of 'em. First to go, North! Then Murph and Lawrence Holmes, oh and Jesse Rogers. Holmes and Rogers sound like they oughta be on a high school radio station. North and Murph are total buffoons.

SOXSINCE'70
06-20-2005, 11:41 AM

Hey,come on.That's only a 13 year old commercial!! :rolling: :rolling:

It would also help to get rid of panty waists with names like
North,Murphy and the horrendous Buffoon (Buffone) and Mulligan
nightmare. Laurence Holmes,I can deal with.I used to like
Jonathan Hood before he decided he was so important he just needs
to use his first initial.:angry:

"Burns and Boerstein,who the hell are they??":D: :D:

Hawk Harrelson on a WGN broadcast,2004

kittle42
06-20-2005, 11:46 AM
I totally agree about dropping the strip club commercials. Kids listen to ballgames for crissakes. At the very least those commercials should only run in the wee hours of the morning.

The kids! Would someone please remember the kids!?

miker
06-20-2005, 12:09 PM
After a completely unscientific analysis of this thread:

those against strip club advertisement on the future radio home of the Chicago White Sox - 4
those in favor of strip club advertisement on the future radio home of the Chicago White Sox - 2

We will keep monitoring as this thread develops.

Also note that Boers and Bernstien aren't doing as well as the strip clubs are doing in this thread...

Dick Allen
06-20-2005, 03:44 PM
It's not just the strip club ads, it's all the commercials in general that drove me away from that station. They're in commercial overload at that station, and of course 99.9% of them are obnoxious and stupid. And if it was the last building standing on this earth, I wouldn't set foot in Heavenly Bodies.

Palehose13
06-20-2005, 03:58 PM
I thought you worked in a high school. Are you teaching a communications class?

No, but I do work in a high school. I have the radio on during my prep time, lunch, and after school. I don't listen to the score as much anymore, but I did have it on today as I was cleaning the room.

iamkoza
06-20-2005, 06:24 PM

i never really thought anythingof the strip club commercials, but i suppose they are a tad bit innappropiate... B&B is by far the best show on the score, so i totally disagree with that part

Hangar18
06-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Hey,come on.That's only a 13 year old commercial!! :rolling: :rolling:

It would also help to get rid of panty waists with names like
North,Murphy and the horrendous Buffoon (Buffone) and Mulligan
nightmare. Laurence Holmes,I can deal with.I used to like
Jonathan Hood before he decided he was so important he just needs
to use his first initial.:angry:

"Burns and Boerstein,who the hell are they??":D: :D:

Hawk Harrelson on a WGN broadcast,2004

Mike Murphy ........... theres a name id love to hear less of.
Mike Murphy uses am670 at nite as his personal "Waynes Cubby World", dedicating countless hours to just talking cub, waxing cub, contemplating cub, taking issue with little Darrens lineups, or just complaining about the cubs. Or steering callers towards his cub topic of the evening. (Anyone ever notice how his "Caller of the Show" award 100% of the time goes to the cub caller who follows his "screen"?)

Thats a terrible show, he can be much better than that, hes shown actual intelligence at times regarding the White Sox, but he prefers to dumb down his show and talk cub anyway, so Screw him. The only good thing, is that his show will be CONSTANTLY PREEMPTED by SOX broadcasts ........ AHHHH
justice, sweet justice!

Dick Allen
06-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Mike Murphy ........... theres a name id love to hear less of.
Mike Murphy uses am670 at nite as his personal "Waynes Cubby World", dedicating countless hours to just talking cub, waxing cub, contemplating cub, taking issue with little Darrens lineups, or just complaining about the cubs. Or steering callers towards his cub topic of the evening. (Anyone ever notice how his "Caller of the Show" award 100% of the time goes to the cub caller who follows his "screen"?)

Thats a terrible show, he can be much better than that, hes shown actual intelligence at times regarding the White Sox, but he prefers to dumb down his show and talk cub anyway, so Screw him. The only good thing, is that his show will be CONSTANTLY PREEMPTED by SOX broadcasts ........ AHHHH
justice, sweet justice!Though most of you may disagree with me, I've always thought that Murphy's shows were very entertaining when he wasn't devoting 95% of them to the Cubs. I got Caller of the Show once when the topic was the Bulls. Unfortunately, over the last several years, his Cub slant on the shows has gotten increasingly worse and intolerable.

Hangar18
06-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Though most of you may disagree with me, I've always thought that Murphy's shows were very entertaining when he wasn't devoting 95% of them to the Cubs.

No, I do Agree with you. Though I may not necessarily have HEARD this 5%
that is "entertaining" that you speak of, I do agree that he may actually be smarter than he lets on.
Thats too bad, because hes doing a disservice to other broadcasters and journalists who work really hard to push the profession. Instead, its
Cubs World (Waynes) at nite with him .........

Palehose13
06-20-2005, 07:13 PM
No, I do Agree with you. Though I may not necessarily have HEARD this 5%
that is "entertaining" that you speak of, I do agree that he may actually be smarter than he lets on.
Thats too bad, because hes doing a disservice to other broadcasters and journalists who work really hard to push the profession. Instead, its
Cubs World (Waynes) at nite with him .........

His voice annoys the heck out of me, so I can't listen to him much to tell if he is any good.

Rich McKinney
06-21-2005, 12:49 PM
As far as the on air personalities as far as I'm concerned,, the Score can drop all of 'em. First to go, North! Then Murph and Lawrence Holmes, oh and Jesse Rogers. Holmes and Rogers sound like they oughta be on a high school radio station. North and Murph are total buffoons.

Murphy has the best show going. It's a shame he's not a Sox fan.
I agree with ousting Holmes and Jesse Rogers...Rogers is simply atrocious and seems to be on just about all weekend. No wonder he's a puck head.

miker
06-21-2005, 11:28 PM
Murphy has the best show going. It's a shame he's not a Sox fan.
I agree with ousting Holmes and Jesse Rogers...Rogers is simply atrocious and seems to be on just about all weekend. No wonder he's a puck head.

Rogers admitted he had no hockey experience before taking on the Blackhawks pre/post-game duties...not that a Wirtz-run team would get people falling all over themselves to work for them...

Nellie_Fox
06-22-2005, 12:52 AM
Murphy has the best show going.:o::?::(::rolleyes:

miker
06-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Our completely unscientific analysis of this thread continues:

those against strip club advertisement on the future radio home of the Chicago White Sox - 5
those in favor of strip club advertisement on the future radio home of the Chicago White Sox - 2
those with positive comments about Boers and Bernstein on the future radio home of the Chicago White Sox - 1
those with deragatory comments about Boers and Bernstein on the future radio home of the Chicago White Sox - 2
those with positive comments about Mike Murphy on the future radio home of the Chicago White Sox - 2
those with deragatory comments about Mike Murphy on the future radio home of the Chicago White Sox - 3
We will keep monitoring as this thread develops. Our results are being tabulated by the City of Chicago Water Department...