PDA

View Full Version : BBTN: Sox have 1 0f 3 worst back end bullpens

kevingrt
06-19-2005, 07:01 PM
What do you know we get on ESPN for the Father's Day night game and we don't even get ESPN's top team. From seeing the preview Gary Thorne was announcing. With no hockey they need to give him some job, so he'll cover ESPN's most hated team, the White Sox.

Cubbiesuck13
06-19-2005, 07:13 PM
I would rather have Thorne (who is a baseball and hockey columnist for USA Today) do the game than just about anyone else .

Kogs35
06-19-2005, 07:22 PM
joe morgan is there, and so is sam ryan.

Brian26
06-19-2005, 07:27 PM
so is sam ryan.

Is it now mandatory for every national sports telecast to have a gratuitous piece of ass on the sidelines to try to break it down for us?

Brian26
06-19-2005, 07:29 PM
I would rather have Thorne (who is a baseball and hockey columnist for USA Today) do the game than just about anyone else .

I'm with you. Thorne was actually the Sox play-by-play guy for one year (1989), so maybe he'll show a little bit of love. And hopefully Brantley and his mullet are nowhere to be seen.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Thorne was one of the first national broadcasters to publicly state in 1990 that the Sox were for real and could keep up their winning pace for the entire season.

After leaving the Sox he immediately went to ESPN and started doing Wednesday Night Baseball with Norm Hitzgens.

Lip

whitesoxfan
06-19-2005, 07:38 PM
oh god on Brantley's "3 Down," he had the "White Sox with 9 blown saves this season." I absolutely hate this guy.

samram
06-19-2005, 07:38 PM
I'm with you. Thorne was actually the Sox play-by-play guy for one year (1989), so maybe he'll show a little bit of love. And hopefully Brantley and his mullet are nowhere to be seen.

Nope, Brantley is currently ripping the Sox bullpen on BBTN, saying that "Chad" Hermanson has been mishandled.

gobears1987
06-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Are you telling me you'd rather have that ****ing ******* Brantley?

Dibbs
06-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Brantley just said we all know that closer by committee will NOT get it done. This guy is unbelievable.

He also says that if a closer warms up in the bullpen, he absolutely must enter the game.

gf2020
06-19-2005, 07:41 PM
:angry: :angry: :angry:

He once again found a way to interject his personal vendetta against Ozzie into the show. He listed the Sox as one of the top three worst handlings of the bullpen in the major league.

He then proceeded to call Dustin Hermanson, Chad.

Great hire by ESPN.

Hartman
06-19-2005, 07:41 PM
"A closer by committee ain't gonna get it done" - Brantley

Looks like its working so far there buddy. :rolleyes:

Cubbiesuck13
06-19-2005, 07:42 PM
I don't know if this is old news because I have no idea what is live or not anymore being 6 hours ahead of EST and watching everything through AFN but The Mullet Brantley himself claims that we have one of the three worst closer/set up men because we have a 'closer by commitee' and have 9 blown saves. What a jackass.

whitesoxfan
06-19-2005, 07:44 PM

Looks like its working so far there buddy. :rolleyes:

its obvious Brantley is calling the Sox games he does on ESPN

Soxzilla
Since when do we have a closer my committee?

Brantley should worry about watching us before he spews trash from his mouth.

NSSoxFan
I don't know if this is old news because I have no idea what is live or not anymore being 6 hours ahead of EST and watching everything through AFN but The Mullet Brantley himself claims that we have one of the three worst closer/set up men because we have a 'closer by commitee' and have 9 blown saves. What a jackass.

I saw it.

I processed the information.

Information was B.S.

Done.

ChiSox14305635
06-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Seriously, what is this pud's problem? Did Ozzie hit a walk-off shot off of him when he was playing or something?

On Yankees/Red Sox/Cubbies Tonight, their 3 up/3 down segment was on closers and how they were used. Guess which side the Sox landed on? Hell, he couldn't even get the name right. After all, Chad Hermanson is the closer, right? This guy is defining the word "bitter". :dtroll:

bobj4400
06-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Just saw that report. Made me want to puke. What a pompous ass.

dcb33
Brantley just said we all know that closer by committee will NOT get it done. This guy is unbelievable.

That's not all he did. During Twins highlights they were showing Johan pull a Zambrano by arguing the strike zone. Santana (and Gardenhire?) gets tossed. Later on Brantley started crying about how the officiating was terrible because Cy Young pitchers should get those borderline calls.

mccoydp
Nope, Brantley is currently ripping the Sox bullpen on BBTN, saying that "Chad" Hermanson has been mishandled.

I know I'm just asking for a moderator slap here, but @#$%^ Jeff Brantley. I just saw the same piece and I just wanted to throw something at the screen. It amazes me they can't detail how effective Hermanson has been (only one BS this season) or the resurgence of Cliff Politte and Neal Cotts. No, he has to keep referring back to the infamous incident involving Dustin where he said Ozzie "mishandled" him.
Way to go, Jeff Mullethead. Don't highlight the positives, only the negatives. You're a big dark cloud advocate, and have been all season long. When the Sox are in the postseason the year, due to the strengths of both their starting and relief pitching, you're going to look even more foolish than you do now.

gf2020
06-19-2005, 07:54 PM
I keep looking to Minnesota Jeff and it's getting harder and harder to see them.

ilsox7
06-19-2005, 07:54 PM
What amazes me more than Brantley's comments is how people around here keep getting upset by them!

whitesoxfan
06-19-2005, 07:57 PM
What amazes me more than Brantley's comments is how people around here keep getting upset by them!

the guy is payed to do a job. If he can't even get the closer's name right who is on the best team in baseball, there is a serious problem.

ilsox7
06-19-2005, 07:58 PM
the guy is payed to do a job. If he can't even get the closer's name right who is on the best team in baseball, there is a serious problem.

And it's been talked about a million times around here. We all know he sucks at his job. Great. Wonderful. Why get upset over it? It's gonna happen. Enjoy this season.

ChiSox14305635
06-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Brantley's most important thing:

The team with a great performance and with the "hot and fiery manager".

Of course, he was referring to the Washington Nationals.

This guy defines :dtroll:

Lip Man 1
06-19-2005, 08:05 PM
I guess he read where Ozzie called him a 'horses@#$' relief pitcher and it stuck in his craw.

Funny.

Lip

White Sox Josh
06-19-2005, 08:13 PM

Looks like its working so far there buddy. :rolleyes:hey buddy how is it a committee when you have 2 closers and a guy in Politte who could be effective as a closer once a month. If Shingo is on he is unhittable and Hermy has been awesome so far this year. Not a lot of teams want to face those two when they are on.

White Sox Josh
06-19-2005, 08:14 PM
the guy is payed to do a job. If he can't even get the closer's name right who is on the best team in baseball, there is a serious problem.How long has Hermy been in the league because if he doesn't know his 1st name by now, than he's a douchebag.

PAPChiSox729
06-19-2005, 08:57 PM
:whocares

Does this really surprise you? This isn't anything new...

Soxzilla
06-19-2005, 09:37 PM
How long has Hermy been in the league because if he doesn't know his 1st name by now, than he's a douchebag.

He's been in the league for a while.

buehrle4cy05
06-19-2005, 09:41 PM
Breaking news! Dustin "Chad" Hermanson splits into three people to form a closer by committee in the White Sox bullpen!

Dibbs
06-19-2005, 11:23 PM
I don't see what's wrong with having Chad Hermanson, David Marte and Clyde Politte each having their opportunity to close out games. But then again, I don't know as much about baseball as Jim Brantley.

White Sox Josh
06-19-2005, 11:27 PM
I don't see what's wrong with having Chad Hermanson, David Marte and Clyde Politte each having their opportunity to close out games. But then again, I don't know as much about baseball as Jim Brantley.What about Sam Takatsu and Nick Cotts? Also don't forget Larry Vizcaino.

PicktoCLick72
06-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Well one of the 3 worst closers got a save today so I gues we don't have to find someone besides Chad yet.

John Barrett
06-20-2005, 12:14 AM
jeff is taking both sides ... i saw him this afternnon saying that MN will when the wild-card...he didn't "know if the twins could/couldn't catch the sox"... when you see him turn the channel.. not worth getting upset about

Mohoney
06-20-2005, 12:20 AM
And hopefully Brantley and his mullet are nowhere to be seen.

Brantley does not have a mullet. He has a schmelbey.

rwcescato
06-20-2005, 12:23 AM
I guess he read where Ozzie called him a 'horses@#$' relief pitcher and it stuck in his craw.

Funny.

Lip

Good call Lip. I think it really pissed him off. Oh well who cares anyway. We have been waiting to long for this to happen anyway.
Rich

Mr. White Sox
06-20-2005, 01:07 AM
I love how much better of a job we can do than him. For example...wouldn't Cincinnati be considered as having a worse bullpen? How about Arizona? Instead, he chose to highlight Los Angeles (lost Gagne, everybody knows that) and Atlanta, not to mention the worst bullpen in baseball: the Chicago White Sox. The blown save stat is abbreviated as BS for a reason. Pitchers can blow saves in hold situations as well as save situations...in reality, Shingo, Hermanson and others have blown around 3-5 saves in the ninth inning, and the nine saves he says the Sox blew is highly exaggerated for that reason. Start paying attention to baseball, Mr. Brantley, and you might learn a little something.

TheOldRoman
06-20-2005, 03:44 AM
Guys, give Brantley some credit. Im sure he simply forgot to mention that the Twins have 8 blown saves, or that we have had the most save opportunities of any team, or that our save percentage is 6th in baseball, and 5% higher than the Twins'. Honest mistake.

skobabe8
06-20-2005, 04:32 AM
I keep looking to Minnesota Jeff and it's getting harder and harder to see them.

:rolling:

Fredsox
06-20-2005, 06:35 AM
My wife and I had a good laugh at Brantley on the way to our 46th victory. Screw him, he's inconsequential. I'm not sure what ESPN thinks they're doing having him on but if that's how they want to serve their customers, that's their business. I'll just watch something else.

miker
06-20-2005, 09:06 AM
And it's been talked about a million times around here. We all know he sucks at his job. Great. Wonderful. Why get upset over it? It's gonna happen. Enjoy this season.

So you want a message board with only messages that you are interested in?

Granted, it would be easier to follow all the threads if we stopped discussing Jeff Brantley, the print media, the attendance, the Cubs, etc...