PDA

View Full Version : You Can Learn Something Very Important Right Now

RallyBowl
06-19-2005, 01:12 PM
We have seen some pretty good games over the last few weeks. A few of them have involved late inning heroics. Any game that we win in the ninth usually means one thing- we were losing at some point. You know, I am new here, and I try not to let most things upset me, but I have noticed several times already that some people have been giving up on us a little too soon. Here is the lesson- Just because we are losing a game does not mean we are going to lose. I have seen people post that they left early, turned off their t.v.'s, as well as the "I guess this one's over" post. This is ridiculous. We are the best team in baseball- we should be the best fans in baseball too. How can you cheer your team on and root for them to come from behind if you have turned off your t.v. and already thrown in the towel? You can't. Folks, that is why they play 9 innings, not 6,7, or 8. The memorial day game against the Angels, the padres game, and last night are recent examples of why you should never give up on this team. In all walks of life, no matter what type of person you are or what kind of job you have, support breeds success. When we are not winning a game, a true fan does not quit. A true fan does not leave the game, or the room just because it doesn't look good at that particular moment. You get up and root for your team, and if they can't do it that day then you realize that no one has ever won all of them, and you come back even stronger the next day. What would our record look like if the guys in the dugout quit watching, or got up and left, or said f it this one is in the books? We wouldn't have the best record in baseball. But we do, so that tells me These guys are not quitters. they don't deserve to have any of ther fans quit on them. Ever. Don't forget that.

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 01:31 PM
And that, dear friends, is a far cry from the days when Jerry Manuel was the manager around here. Ozzie got the team he wanted, and it looks like he was right.

batmanZoSo
06-19-2005, 01:54 PM
"This isn't an experiment, it was a necessity. We weren't getting it done the other way." -- KW

The big slugging team of the past was a bunch of quitters. Maybe they didn't quit, but they didn't have what it took to manufacture a big run late in the game. This team does. And the pitching is there to give them the chance just about every night.

Cowhead418
06-19-2005, 03:56 PM
We have seen some pretty good games over the last few weeks. A few of them have involved late inning heroics. Any game that we win in the ninth usually means one thing- we were losing at some point. You know, I am new here, and I try not to let most things upset me, but I have noticed several times already that some people have been giving up on us a little too soon. Here is the lesson- Just because we are losing a game does not mean we are going to lose. I have seen people post that they left early, turned off their t.v.'s, as well as the "I guess this one's over" post. This is ridiculous. We are the best team in baseball- we should be the best fans in baseball too. How can you cheer your team on and root for them to come from behind if you have turned off your t.v. and already thrown in the towel? You can't. Folks, that is why they play 9 innings, not 6,7, or 8. The memorial day game against the Angels, the padres game, and last night are recent examples of why you should never give up on this team. In all walks of life, no matter what type of person you are or what kind of job you have, support breeds success. When we are not winning a game, a true fan does not quit. A true fan does not leave the game, or the room just because it doesn't look good at that particular moment. You get up and root for your team, and if they can't do it that day then you realize that no one has ever won all of them, and you come back even stronger the next day. What would our record look like if the guys in the dugout quit watching, or got up and left, or said f it this one is in the books? We wouldn't have the best record in baseball. But we do, so that tells me These guys are not quitters. they don't deserve to have any of ther fans quit on them. Ever. Don't forget that.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Awesome awesome post.

RallyBowl
06-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Add another game to the list. Runs scored and runs given up mean less when you have heart, pride, and intelligence. let's get 'em tonight MB.

Rocky Soprano
06-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Great Post!

Baby Fisk
06-21-2005, 10:17 AM
Well said. Look out Homefish and FOHF, RallyBowl is your worst nightmare! :bandance:

boiler up
06-21-2005, 10:32 AM
good post, i was at the game on saturday with the homer by aj, and i can't believe how people leave games early. that would be the biggest kick in the balls if i would have left that game early just to hear on the radio they won.

winning or losing, i'm there till the last pitch is thrown

LuvSox
06-21-2005, 10:35 AM
The big slugging team of the past was a bunch of quitters. Maybe they didn't quit, but they didn't have what it took to manufacture a big run late in the game.

They were quitters, no doubt about it. What a difference a year makes.

LongLiveFisk
06-21-2005, 10:56 AM
Some posters also can't resist this feeling after each loss:

:chickenlittle

Just an FYI.

Iwritecode
06-21-2005, 11:16 AM
I've never left a game early. If I'm going to pay to be there, I'm sure as hell going to get my money's worth.

I will admit that I sometimes turn the TV/radio off in frustration if the other team starts pounding out hits and scoring runs left and right. I'll usually turn it back on 10 minutes later just to see how bad the damage was and hope that the team can come back. I've been able to catch a number of late-inning wins this way. :D:

The best was this past weekend when I turned on the TV just as AJ popped foul just out of Choi's reach. Then jacked a walk-off to left field. I didn't turn the game off though, I was at a movie and had just gotten home. :wink:

ChicagoHoosier
06-21-2005, 12:18 PM
I've said this from the first couple of series this year. It's the thing I love most about thist team. We are always in the game. Other than a couple of blowouts, even when we get down 3-4 runs, I no longer ever feel we can't come back. We seem to chip away to keep it within striking distance. It started with a Twins game early in the season where I was giving up on the team because they looked so lackluster. Chatting on the Clubhouse Chat, I commented how that wasn't our night. But, we came back, showed some fire, and won that game. After that, I decided I can never give up on this team.

I will not leave a game early this year.

kingpin_rcs
06-21-2005, 03:23 PM
I will admit, I turned off the TV om Memorial day and went on a walk with the wife and kids. It was my last day of a week+ vacation and had to return towork then next day. I was in a depressed mood. Not becuase of having to go back to work but because I was sure the Sox lost. When I got back from the walk I went online and saw that they had won. My mood instantly changed to joy eventhough I was mad at myself for giving up and not watching a great comeback.

I told myself that I won't do that again - stay or watch until the last freakin' out!

DumpJerry
06-21-2005, 04:18 PM
I never leave a game early. I was at the Saturday and Sunday Dodgers games. A friend called me in the 7th inning to check on the score. I told her "Dodgers have three runs to our two. We're winning." She asked for an explanation of the New Math. I told her that this year whenever the Sox are down by 5 or less runs late in the game, they will find a way to win.:D: